Ugly (DayZ)

Poll: Are you happy with update news/management?

Poll: Are you happy with update news?  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with the way information is disseminated to testers?

• Yes, all the information I need about updates is available and easy to find.
    • No, I do not get enough information about updates and/or it is too hard to find.
    • Other, I will include my opinion in comments.

Who the hell cares, if you can figure out how to create an account on a forum, you should be able to bookmark Rocket2guns on twitter, reddit and the devblog on tumblr. Many active forum members are active on all sites and important information usually spread from site to site. You act like you're paying a subscription for your forum membership and was promised all information relayed to you in person.

All sites have their purposes, advantages and disadvantages, no need to limit yourself to one platform, just because you're too lazy or too entitled.

Well said.

I'm happy with the amount of information they provide at the moment but often when I read all the complaints, I'm a bit afraid they might reduce their effort because they feel false predictions, delays and mistakes make them vulnerable. Also I didn't like the shitstorm that happened to rocket, I felt really bad for him. And I really don't like the hype around certain people while all the programmers and workers have their fair share in the process.

I wished people would relax more. I have never been part of a community in a game which is work in progress and it is the first time I see so many information - provided by the developers - for me to follow their work. It's great and I wished it was less to their disadvantage, so they would be rather encouraged to provide more instead of being threatened. But maybe I am oversensitive. I'm not here to judge.

Who the hell cares, if you can figure out how to create an account on a forum, you should be able to bookmark Rocket2guns on twitter, reddit and the devblog on tumblr. Many active forum members are active on all sites and important information usually spread from site to site. You act like you're paying a subscription for your forum membership and was promised all information relayed to you in person.

All sites have their purposes, advantages and disadvantages, no need to limit yourself to one platform, just because you're too lazy or too entitled.

I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation that the Official game forum should be a one stop shop for all info regarding the game.

Particularly when this isn't very informative:

http://dayzmod.com/?News

Posting detailed changelogs is sufficient.

I'd rather have rocket and the rest focus on development than pointless feedback.

I like the stable update news, but not exp, i mean where the hell was the news about loot spawns FINALLY being fixed? Or remember when they sneakily added in those pistol attachments, and berets? Not in the changelogs! Neither was the fact that the can textures changed, and wered the fing sickle go?

Considering we haven't had an actual update since March 19, I don't see what the problem is.  

Considering we haven't had an actual update since March 19, I don't see what the problem is.  

well atleast its not RUST :lol:

they add a peice of stone one every two months :P

No i am not acting like i pay a subscription, and expecting info on an official forum is in no way, shape, or form, an unreasonable request.You want to bounce between 7 sites to get info for ONE game, go right ahead, but when i go shopping, i dont get eggs here, milk there, pasta over there, i go to a central hub f food and get all i need there. The rest of the world operates in the most efficient way possible, unless its here than its the communitys fault for not scouring the internet for information. Pathetic.  After Boneboys has hidden like 5 of my posts, either because i prove a rather valid point, or he didnt like how i worded it, I am definitely leaving this community and game. cue the obligatory "good riddance" ect, ect. Cant express distaste or they silence you, cant prove them wrong, or they silence you. Unorganized AND you control what people say? WOW, this forums way worse than i initially thought. I can see removing a post or 2, but 5? And you want to call me entitled because i expected a successful gaming company to update their official site? Yup im entitled then.  

No i am not acting like i pay a subscription, and expecting info on an official forum is in no way, shape, or form, an unreasonable request.You want to bounce between 7 sites to get info for ONE game, go right ahead, but when i go shopping, i dont get eggs here, milk there, pasta over there, i go to a central hub f food and get all i need there. The rest of the world operates in the most efficient way possible, unless its here than its the communitys fault for not scouring the internet for information. Pathetic.  After Boneboys has hidden like 5 of my posts, either because i prove a rather valid point, or he didnt like how i worded it, I am definitely leaving this community and game. cue the obligatory "good riddance" ect, ect. Cant express distaste or they silence you, cant prove them wrong, or they silence you. Unorganized AND you control what people say? WOW, this forums way worse than i initially thought. I can see removing a post or 2, but 5? And you want to call me entitled because i expected a successful gaming company to update their official site? Yup im entitled then.  

I'm sorry to say, but this person has a point. There's a reason why so many members of the community are dissatisfied with the information flow regarding DayZ.

Most businesses stick with one channel to submit valid information and only then use social media to get those news bigger coverage - this is what people are simply familiar with. Doing it the other way around - spreading bits of information through various media and then trying to put it together in one feed (DevTracker) - is not a common practice everyone is used to. Hence the concerns and treating BI (or DayZ team) as not reputable by some.

I know that some would argue that it's better if they keep working on the game instead of getting distracted with the media, but that's a typical "developer's mistake" - our partner company wrote a book on the topic, it basically states how some developers (exceptionally programmers) perceive anything else than actual development as unproductive, which is wrong in the long run. Communication, management, marketing and development are all equally important.

I'm not saying that DayZ team does not put effort into communication, I'm just trying to say that since it is equally important as everything else, they should do it right, which should be convenient for the end-users, who are actually testers now and this alone should require efficient communication.

Edited by retro19
  • Like 3

No I'm not. I like to read about new development and update news from the game's website/forums. Not find about them on one of the developers brother's cousin's facebook page.

• Like 2

No I'm not. I like to read about new development and update news from the game's website/forums. Not find about them on one of the developers brother's cousin's facebook page.

Careful, i tried to prove this point, then they locked the thread and hid all of my relevant posts. There is no winning here, and they are NOT open to criticism. If you dont like the way the infos handled, too bad. Go to `10 different sites, it makes no difference to the mods that you PAID to TEST a game, no no. Most companies hire testers, you guys have testers paying you, and we are still treated like we just downloaded the mod for free and are asking for unreasonable things outside the realm of possibility. Look up the definition of official people. How many things say" the official place to go before you have to go to other 3rd party sites cause theres nothing here" ? Professional, not so much.  

• Like 1

Careful, i tried to prove this point, then they locked the thread and hid all of my relevant posts. There is no winning here, and they are NOT open to criticism. If you dont like the way the infos handled, too bad. Go to `10 different sites, it makes no difference to the mods that you PAID to TEST a game, no no. Most companies hire testers, you guys have testers paying you, and we are still treated like we just downloaded the mod for free and are asking for unreasonable things outside the realm of possibility. Look up the definition of official people. How many things say" the official place to go before you have to go to other 3rd party sites cause theres nothing here" ? Professional, not so much.  

Hello there

Absolute poppycock.

There are bucket loads of threads criticising the game.

If you've had a post hidden or closed its because you were breaking a rule or plain rude.

We dont delete anything here and im happy to bring up one or two choice examples to show everyone the type of post you can spout sometimes.

Also, all the info is here or linked to here if you bother to look (then again you KNOW that as another person posted)

Finally, you're on a temp suspension so I dont really know why Im bothering to reply to this. I suppose its for the benefit of our other forum members. Lets see how you act when you return.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 4

I'm terribly sorry to hear that navigating more than one site on the internet is too taxing for you, but I gotta tell ya, this internet is a pretty big and elaborate deal. In some places you can read what game developers write on their smart phones, on others you can watch cat videos and pony cartoons.

You should really consider expanding your horizons, however I feel, I should also warn you about the darker sides of the internet. As Friedrich Nietzsche said: "When you gaze for too long into the internet, the internet also gazes into you."

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 3

I'm terribly sorry to hear that navigating more than one site on the internet is too taxing for you, but I gotta tell ya, this internet is a pretty big and elaborate deal. In some places you can read what game developers write on their smart phones, on others you can watch cat videos and pony cartoons.

You should really consider expanding your horizons, however I feel, I should also warn you about the darker sides of the internet. As Friedrich Nietzsche said: "When you gaze for too long into the internet, the internet also gazes into you."

I agree, promoting pro-active stance in searching for information is unquestionably a good, even great, practice. It would be awesome if everyone was willing to take their time to do something as simple as look into the "next" page.

However, the key principle of a good business is to address a potential client's need in the most convenient way for him/her. RustyBlade stated his need clearly (as quite a few others), although in a manner left to be desired. Not many customers do that, most just walk away. In return he was called, to put it bluntly, lazy. That's probably minus one tester who potentially could post valuable feedback, and some others who could be like-minded, but won't do so after reading the above.

Now counting in the effect of scale, this probably is a setback equal to zero, still it leaves me with a feeling that the blame for inefficient information flow is attempted to be passed on the consumer, which is a negative practice.

Edited by retro19
  • Like 2

Now counting in the effect of scale, this probably is a setback equal to zero, still it leaves me with a feeling that the blame for inefficient information flow is attempted to be passed on the consumer, which is a negative practice.

The reason he wasn't really helped is (sadly) out of your scope, as he initiated his request with insults towards Dean and the Dev-Team and then kept calling us out for removing those posts.

• Like 1

I agree with the OP that all relevant information should be displayed here, I understand that the devs like to use twitter or whatever to communicate, but im not a twitter person. The only time I see those things is when someone links them on here. Im perfectly happy with the changelogs for each update, nothing wrong there. But I would like to see this site as the main goto for every piece of info available.

Would it be that hard for the devs to move from twitter to this site, considering its the official one. They could have a separate board to communicate with eachother that only they could post on. But one that could be viewed by the public, call it the "Dev Boards" or something. That could have news, annoncements and dev comms threads we could all view. That would really make the community feel involved I think.

Even just a "News Hub", where someone posted each and every update from the other sites on a locked topic here somewhere......anything to correlate it all :)

OP I say, yes you have a good point IMO but maybe exercise a bit of diplomacy. The mods and devs are open to criticism evidenced by the fact your thread is still open ;)

Dissatified. To me it's not even about the fact that it's on Tumblr or Reddit or whatever...I mean any idiot can make an account on these sites & view the information they're providing. It's just that why are they not just putting it all on the official forums? It would make a lot of sense and it would be easier for everyone  to watch & post. Just in 1 place, and then they can "spread the word" via all these other sites, as was mentioned before.

Oh yes, and the Twitter-feed (or devtracker) is filled with irrelevelant nonsense. "Come check us out at ... Giving away signed posters!" Yeah I don't need to know that

How are the Steam-Announcements less official than these? Why are we more official than the Steam-Hub dedicated to that particular game?

You most likely didn't even read the hotfix-announcement, as it were exactly three things being changed by the hotfix, that's it. Nothing that affects your gameplay nor is it worth starting a new topic for.

We appreciate everyones patience in getting this patch released to stable, the bug in 0.42 that caused lag and desync was very hard to track down and fix. 

• Hotfix to address issues associated with severe lag and desync for many players. 
  • Servers now support accelerated time as a configurable option. This results in faster day/night cycle. 
  • New zombie animations in testing (they are considerably faster). We will be engaging with the community to decide if these new animations result in the zombies being too fast.

I'm sorry but how do faster zombies & a "fix" for the mass desync & lag not affect my gameplay?

There are probably people who are gonna take that quote for real lol.

Edited by Snowball
  • Like 1

I think its ridiculous that BIS is using Redditt to communicate more than their own website, for an early release alpha.

Do you know why they are doing this?

Because it makes more sense to MARKET your game, than it does to properly communicate with the player base. 

• Like 1

The reason he wasn't really helped is (sadly) out of your scope, as he initiated his request with insults towards Dean and the Dev-Team and then kept calling us out for removing those posts.

Yes, I assume it was so. And I acknowledge that the actions taken against him were the only viable steps. Still, I cannot shake off that feeling of passing blame. Probably just my nature and some other personal factors.

I just wanted to post something that would give those who manage the PR of DayZ some food for thought. That is all. :)

the key principle of a good business is to address a potential client's need in the most convenient way for him/her. RustyBlade stated his need clearly (as quite a few others), although in a manner left to be desired. Not many customers do that, most just walk away. In return he was called, to put it bluntly, lazy. That's probably minus one tester who potentially could post valuable feedback, and some others who could be like-minded, but won't do so after reading the above.

Ding ding ding ding ding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think we've got some logic!!

Edited by Flight96

All of the complaints over content being added and not debugging. People don't seem to understand that alpha is NOT for debugging, that is what a beta is. Alpha is that outline you (are supposed to) create prior to a research paper that shows all the content and the high points you want to hit. For this step they need to focus on implementing all of the content they want NOW and only worry about pure game breaking bugs in each system and get it all functioning on a basic level so that in beta they can devote the entire team to finding and quashing those big jarring bugs that make the game utter tripe, but still playable. Right now the game is playable, but really bad, so alpha accomplished. in beta it will be reduced to bug hunting and immediate fixes, while the art team just touches up items and maybe makes new hats for us TF2 players who carry one of every hat in the game that we can get cause, hats.

My problem is the lack of centralized intel on what to test in experimental, what is being done about things, and what to do. Experimental should have a log of highlights for us to focus on and beat like a dead horse instead of having people running around KoSing cause they have nothing else to do. Ideally PvP would be disabled all together (save for certain servers to test new weapons and their affects on different things) and each player would be told "we need this tested, do it" in experimental. Server side updates are also important for players. How many people still don't realize tent spawns are re-enabled and working now just cause they only search here. too many places to search, too little info, what should be done is one massive change log posted here, then a link or copy/paste posted on all the social media sites.

After having watched that video from rezzed I appreciate more of what is going but that still doesn't exactly EXCUSE how scattered and scatterbrained the updates we get seem to be. A changelong isn't that hard to do you as a dev; you make a text file with all the things you changed, then upload/copy and paste it to a central area, then one guy (usually someone in charge of localization or art or something) that has spare time merges all of the changes into one file and uploads it, back on the fallout 3 overhaul kit it was our project leader doing this whenever we would upload files for him to merge together. This helped a very sporadic team who always focused on their own thing keep up to date on what was happening and not work on overlapping things (with some exceptions such as one guy working on graphics of a weapon and another on stats). Something I never appreciated till I got a little older and started looking at the work I contributed and what we all did.

Edit: thanks to Irish Roy for the website, it pretty much does exactly what I want thus showing this info IS out there, now if only it had that bullet list of what to test in experimental

Edited by bodybagger2430
  • Like 1

My point has been made clear by all the rants. No one in there right minds wants to hit up multiple social networking sites to get basic information about a product.

Post it all here in one Mod thread. Lock comments. Nuff said and yall can stop the infighting..

Edited by RyBo