Ugly (DayZ)

Poll: Are you happy with update news/management?

Poll: Are you happy with update news?  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with the way information is disseminated to testers?

• Yes, all the information I need about updates is available and easy to find.
    • No, I do not get enough information about updates and/or it is too hard to find.
    • Other, I will include my opinion in comments.

Hello there

You are NOT relegated to use 3rd party services. Their twitter feed is pushed to the forums.

It may not be presented to you on a silver platter but all the main info is here.

Why should the devs NOT post in Twitter or Reddit?

Also, the devs do visit here and any groovy threads we pass onto them regularly. They just tend not to post directly here.

As has been pointed out, yes these are the official forums but the Tumbler and reddit are official too.

Rgds

LoK

They can post where ever they like. It's not my product. But I have worked for some crappy corporations and they can at least manage information distribution. One site for all info. The rest on social media are there for people to comment, rant, and suggest...

Edited by RyBo

For christ sakes mods, close this stupid thread already.  It's clear there are some people who cannot accept the fact that the change log was posted back in march and hasn't changed seen as how there has been no update

Well said.

Not at all and flat out rude.

You can agree to disagree but the fact that we have to sign up to multiple forums is ridiculous beyond words. All information is one place. I have no idea how it could be so hard to understand....

One would think with all the post popping up about whats going on? That one of you would get it. Clearly not.

Edited by RyBo

For christ sakes mods, close this stupid thread already.  It's clear there are some people who cannot accept the fact that the change log was posted back in march and hasn't changed seen as how there has been no update

Wrong..Only relevant patch information is provided. Why do I have to go to Twitter to find out they are working on an AK? We want all information at least copy and pasted in one place. ugh. We have gotten to used to having to search two hand fulls of websites to obtain basic information.

Not sure if I could facepalm any harder atm...

Edited by RyBo

Not at all and flat out rude.

You can agree to disagree but the fact that we have to sign up to multiple forums is ridiculous beyond words. All information is one place. I have no idea how it could be so hard to understand....

One would think with all the post popping up about whats going on? That one of you would get it. Clearly not.

You don't have to sign up to those websites in order to view the content there. You people make it out to be such a great effort. Sure, having information put in other places more often than the official forums is silly, but not as big as deal as it is claimed to be.

That one of you would get it.

I/we don't have anything to do with where the information is posted and how. We just moderate the forums. It's up to the developers; we have little to no influence.

Edited by Inception.
  • Like 1

You don't have to sign up to those websites in order to view the content there. You people make it out to be such a great effort. Sure, having information put in other places more often than the official forums is silly, but not as big as deal as it is claimed to be.

I/we don't have anything to do with where the information is posted and how. We just moderate the forums. It's up to the developers; we have little to no influence.

ugh, nice work around. My point is we want it on one site not across the board. The tip toe around the answer says enough.

Now that every knows yall have no influence in the matter we can give up and keep letting all information be hacked into peaces..

Very constructive...

Edited by RyBo

ugh, nice work around. My point is we want it on one site not across the board. The tip toe around the answer says enough.

Yes, I know what your point was; it's the same point that everyone is saying. Please enlighten me upon how exactly I worked around.

Now that every knows yall have no influence in the matter we can give up and keep letting all information be hacked into peaces..

Most people already knew that. It's not new information. All we do is moderate the forums. I mean, I barely even attempt to defend the developers because the apparent lack of information on these forums is not something that bothers me.

Edited by Inception.

updates OP with some new information.

Keep it civil guys, mods are doing their best they aren't the ones deserving of our ire.

• Like 2

Very constructive...

Bad wording, but valid points.

All info should be in one location, whether it be fourms, twitter or yoloswag#urmom.com it doesn't matter.

The fact that this has to be reminded by the community daily is mind-boggling. 

• Like 1

to those that say there has been no updates to report in the past month or so, last time i checked there had been a server side update for buildings to spawn loot that didnt before, at least one lag/desync fix and lastly i may be wrong on this one but im not sure faster zombies was in the last changelog that was posted here.  all relevant information to a player or a tester.

as for ease of access to social media sites...I took this from the devtracker:

one of the developers posting a picture of some sort, click the link and you are greeted with:

@iantomasik's tweets are protected.

Only confirmed followers have access to @iantomasik's Tweets and complete profile. Click the "Follow" button to send a follow request.

so what could it be? a picture of a future addition to the game? something completely irrelevant? click the follow button and you are asked to register to twitter, so guess we will never know.

Edited by monolith1985
  • Like 1

I would like the developers to make announces and speak to the community on these forums. The information is too spread out, and if you want to know some news you will need to seach through lot of rubbish like the DevTracker where most posts have nothing to do with Dayz.

Also there are lots of suggestions in the forum who doesn't get any answer by the developers, If you are lucky you can be answered on reddit or a place like that, but I think the place should be this forum.

• Like 1

Reading this thread makes me feel underappreciated... appreciate me!  :( 

simple fact is Datz SA should of been made on ARMA 3 engine should of had a team like its got now at the start and they would of had the game done by now . its 2 years late.

That is not a fact, that is your assumption. If we decided to make DayZ on the ARMA3 engine, the alpha would still be a year or two away, that is a fact.

Anyway, guys, I believe that all the info you need is here. The changelogs are posted here. If you want to read something extra, the dev tracker works nicely. The devblogs are all posted here as well.

Not every post you make warrants a response from us. At the same time, just because we don't respond, it doesn't mean we don't read. I've read almost all of the suggestions in the suggestions section. Some of the good ones were passed onto the right people on the team. Some were even implemented.

If you want us to post, be constructive and think about what you write. I'm much more likely to reply to a well structured, thought out thread than one where people argue and insult one another and derail the thread by doing so.

Let's be nice! Let's be friends!

• Like 4

That is not a fact, that is your assumption. If we decided to make DayZ on the ARMA3 engine, the alpha would still be a year or two away, that is a fact.

Anyway, guys, I believe that all the info you need is here. The changelogs are posted here. If you want to read something extra, the dev tracker works nicely. The devblogs are all posted here as well.

Not every post you make warrants a response from us. At the same time, just because we don't respond, it doesn't mean we don't read. I've read almost all of the suggestions in the suggestions section. Some of the good ones were passed onto the right people on the team. Some were even implemented.

If you want us to post, be constructive and think about what you write. I'm much more likely to reply to a well structured, thought out thread than one where people argue and insult one another and derail the thread by doing so.

Dispite me expressing that I would prefer all info here. I have to say that I for one really do appreciate seeing a dev back on the boards. Really makes me feel like this site is actually used, without having to hop to reddit to see any feedback directly, keep it up plz :)

• Like 1

May I point everyone in this direction?

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/forum/134-development-blog/

Things are being done to be improved, have some faith.

although not the ideal solution, I see this as a good step in the right direction.  good work to the forum mods for listening to feedback (even if some people were overly harsh) and working on putting this together :) thanks :)

and a dev here? all in one day, we are having our cake AND eating it today :D

• Like 1

although not the ideal solution, I see this as a good step in the right direction.  good work to the forum mods for listening to feedback (even if some people were overly harsh) and working on putting this together :) thanks :)

and a dev here? all in one day, we are having our cake AND eating it today :D

I agree, it's good to finally see a dev here, even with all the work they have to do. Makes us feel more involved  :)

• Like 1

no it is simple. you used the wrong engine. you should of gone with arma 3. what is better with your current set up/engine choice for SA ?

you are producing stuff witha 40 man team slower than modders using a better engine ! BIs own better engine !

if i play Dayz SA now and play a zombie mod on arma 3 its very obvious the ones on the arma 3 are better. they look better, play better. there must be a reason for using a worse engine when they had arma 3 to use why not use the arma 3 engine? it puzzles me. arma 3 was out before SA so its not like you can say it wasnt available.so say the team started the project on arma 3 at same time arma 3 was available it would still take the same timeframe would it not ?

so why would you not use it ? i am actually interested in why you would use a worse engine if the other engine was available and better optimized ?

is it a money thing ?

Edited by dgeesio
  • Like 1

you are producing stuff witha 40 man team slower than modders using a better engine ! BIs own better engine !

You keep saying "better engine", "bettter engine", "better engine" without actually explaining why you think that is the case.

RV4 has one or two nice new features that are good for ARMA, but I don't see where that would be desperately needed for Standalone? Not to mention the massive performance issues ARMA 3 arrived with (even SA has better performance on some PC's than ARMA 3)

• Like 1

You keep saying "better engine", "bettter engine", "better engine" without actually explaining why you think that is the case.

RV4 has one or two nice new features that are good for ARMA, but I don't see where that would be desperately needed for Standalone? Not to mention the massive performance issues ARMA 3 arrived with (even SA has better performance on some PC's than ARMA 3)

Quoted for fact.. I'm not a coder, nor can I be considered a professional QA tester; but given the many years testing games in alpha/beta state on various platforms especially the Indie scene; talking to developers and getting to know the difficulties:  take their word for it - it's not wrong.

Those who disagree try to the same thing and manage to do better yourself to prove him wrong; Arma 3 being a newly developed engine is going to be riddled with unforeseen issues, performance faults, even unknown incompatibilities to features DayZ all but demands to be successful. While those features may eventually be created, the means in which you get them to work could be years away simply because finding the proper tweaks and workarounds to get it to function are *extremely* difficult to create and that's just the start. They picked an engine they are familiar with, is tested and know that they can mold into exactly what they want even if it too still takes creative workarounds, as well as weighing in the pro's and con's of other engines in the process .

Most any game you look at, works on an engine that had to practically be mutilated to get to be what they needed, Arma II's is certainly a tested engine that is capable of getting what they wanted out of it, and while I can't psychically know the core reasons, all of the above was no doubt deeply considered and Arma II's engine had it's reasons for being chosen, not just a flip of a coin.

Edited by AzrailCross
  • Like 2

no it is simple. you used the wrong engine. you should of gone with arma 3. what is better with your current set up/engine choice for SA ?

I can't go into specifics and probably wouldn't even if I could, but I'll try clear something up.

ARMA3 was released some months earlier than DayZ, yes. What you don't realize is that when the development of DayZ started, ARMA3 engine was far from being done. You can't make a game on an engine that is not even finished for the game it's developed for.

Your example with zombies has nothing to do with the choice of engine per se. We could use the AI from ARMA3, but the design team doesn't like it. It doesn't work for zombies. We are developing a whole new AI for zombies in DayZ. In order for zombies to be good, they need to be bad first. Think of it as growing up of sorts. Adults are smarter than kids. Zombies right now are kids so to speak. They need time to improve. And they will.

I'm not sure you can call one engine better than the other. You can say that one is better at/for something though. And I do believe that the engine used by DayZ is pretty good for making DayZ. Some cool new features of the ARMA3 engine have already been ported over to DayZ btw (volumetric clouds, hdr effects iirc).

All in all, you're not right in what you're saying.

Quoted for fact.. I'm not a coder, nor can I be considered a professional QA tester; but given the many years testing games in alpha/beta state on various platforms especially the Indie scene; talking to developers and getting to know the difficulties:  take their word for it - it's not wrong.

Your assumption is actually quite correct.

• Like 3

Your assumption is actually quite correct.

Now if only I could find someone to trade these beans, for tactical bacon, because, mnh.. bacon. :O

By the way, the kids are still running through the walls ruining the new drywall. Just a heads up, that'll be another $10,000,000 renovation before release! [mumbles about expensive pixel buildings] .. oh! - also, most of said kids are wanted for premeditated murder and these guy's claiming to be the police wanted to speak with the dev's-- I mean people in charge of said children.. something about their brother being murdered last week and the apocalypse and all this other mumble jumbo... I stopped listening to them around the time I noticed the the guy in the cowboy hat wearing shorts  screaming "let me handcuff you!"  while chasing around some half naked woman who looked to be bleeding.. so' yeah.. just be on the lookout for.. well, them. Little batty if you ask me, but those kids are seriously out of control.

Also, bacon. 

On another note, besides you know - bacon - I'm glad to hear the communication will be improved on, though I kind of assumed that too - to begin with :D My assumptions have a good winning streak.

• Like 2

Now if only I could find someone to trade these beans, for tactical bacon, because, mnh.. bacon. :o

By the way, the kids are still running through the walls ruining the new drywall. Just a heads up, that'll be another $10,000,000 renovation before release! [mumbles about expensive pixel buildings] .. oh! - also, most of said kids are wanted for premeditated murder and these guy's claiming to be the police wanted to speak with the dev's-- I mean people in charge of said children.. something about their brother being murdered last week and the apocalypse and all this other mumble jumbo... I stopped listening to them around the time I noticed the the guy in the cowboy hat wearing shorts  screaming "let me handcuff you!"  while chasing around some half naked woman who looked to be bleeding.. so' yeah.. just be on the lookout for.. well, them. Little batty if you ask me, but those kids are seriously out of control.

Also, bacon. 

On another note, besides you know - bacon - I'm glad to hear the communication will be improved on, though I kind of assumed that too - to begin with :D My assumptions have a good winning streak.

I'd try to say something at least remotely funny in response, but it's too early in the morning.  :unsure: 

• Like 1

This is official and just as official as these forums and the last DevBlog isn't even a week old:

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/

There is no reason to ignore it and a lot of informationvalue coming out of it.

If you haven't watched it yet, make sure to do so now. If you're not happy about the regularity of the updates and wonder what's coming next - chances are you haven't watched it yet.

There is a massive difference between not giving the information to the playerbase and the playerbase not willing to invest 1.5 minutes to search either these forums or other official sources.

How about a simple changelog for the experimental servers so we know what to look for and test. All that information is great and informative, but doesnt help with knowing what is actually in experimental.

• Like 1

I'd try to say something at least remotely funny in response, but it's too early in the morning.  :unsure: 

Well it shows dedication your still in sleepy state and answering questions on the forums, so that counts for a lot ;D

So get your coffee; wake the #&@( up, and order more drywall. Alot.. more drywall.

How about a simple changelog for the experimental servers so we know what to look for and test. All that information is great and informative, but doesnt help with knowing what is actually in experimental.

Agreed O: but I'd imagine that's in line for the future too. Experimental is a little to expermenty if nobody knows what to actually strive to test after each new update and hotfix.

Still, +1 it'd help a lot. Think I said that once already a few days back in this thread, so more like +2 potentially, but it's to early for me to go back and check.

Edited by AzrailCross

I don´t get it. 70% of Users in this Forum are dissatisfied about the amount of information given. 

What are you (the team) going to do? Say ".... Well, you should be happy about it."? 

I´m angry. 

We need ONE website with ALL informations and we need more little information, like short change logs for experimental. 

It should not be that complicated.

Edited by Kanthos