SmashT

Do Zombies Dream Of A Good Nights Sleep? (Zombie feedback)

Please put more zombies! I want PVZ not just PVP!!

Thanks for reminding them, I think they forgot. Good thing you mentioned it!

Edited by Weyland Yutani

Please put more zombies! I want PVZ not just PVP!!

merged

• Like 1

I know everyone complained about the zombies spawning a few minutes after you killed them in earlier patches (I never noticed this significantly in previous versions, but that's just me)

I kinda hope they bring that level of respawn back.

Zombies seem so important now, everyone wants them badly. 

I believe the idea is that it's a pain in the ass when you killed one, hang around the area for a bit, and another one launches onto you out of seemingly nowhere. 

They've increased the zombies by about a hundred or more since the last several patches [that's barely significant, considering it went from 1100 to 1240]. But they also allocated their total spawn numbers to more bigger cities.

But letting them respawn like they did before might make people a little more happy... or just lead to more complaints. 

I for one am down for it. It'll be annoying, but so will them being a "viable threat".

It'll be just as annoying.

They should respawn at some point (at least at server restarts) but please in random locations and not where they "use to spawn" or where I killed them.

Also, please no zombie spawns like in dayz mod, where they only spawn when a player is nearby.

ps: Also, Vera is with me now and we are both happy!

Edited by robophant

They should respawn at some point (at least at server restarts) but please in random locations and not where they "use to spawn" or where I killed them.

Also, please no zombie spawns like in dayz mod, where they only spawn when a player is nearby.

ps: Also, Vera is with me now and we are both happy!

I think that having a mix of globally spawning zeds and proximity spawning zeds may be a good idea to conserve resources.

Global spawning Zeds would be standing around in areas while proximity zeds could have the apperence of crawling out of trash piles and such when a player triggers an awareness metric when in range. "As needed" Zeds have merit by adding to the game substantially while not taxing the server when not in use. Any trash pile, bush closed door could be a threat.

Or take a jail for example. Their could be a Zed trapped behind bars. This Zed wouldn't need to be there until someone came close to the jail.

• Like 2

I think that having a mix of globally spawning zeds and proximity spawning zeds may be a good idea to conserve resources.

Global spawning Zeds would be standing around in areas while proximity zeds could have the apperence of crawling out of trash piles and such when a player triggers an awareness metric when in range. "As needed" Zeds have merit by adding to the game substantially while not taxing the server when not in use. Any trash pile, bush closed door could be a threat.

Or take a jail for example. Their could be a Zed trapped behind bars. This Zed wouldn't need to be there until someone came close to the jail.

Problem with that is the fact that players outside the spawn-range of a zombie can look into a town and tell if there were other players nearby, just by watching certain buildings and look for spawned zeds.

Please no

Edited by robophant
  • Like 1

Mod player detected.

ye, I hated that part of the mod sooooo much

This isn't really a well thought out reply or anything, but why not shift zombie AI clientside when it comes within a certain proximity of a player, so that a zombie essentially becomes an extension of whatever player its tracking, rather than being handled by the server... Like I said, I put zero thought into that, so there are probably more than one blatantly obvious problems with it... Which I am entirely unaware of...

Be gentle.

Edited by sushimaster

DayZ Mod = "Can you see any zombies in the town?" "Nope." "Okay looks like there are no players here."

DayZ SA = "Can you see any zombies in the town?" "Nope." "Okay, someone has been here... keep an eye out."

I saw one zombie in 0.58. I preferred the OP-zombies of the past patch. They were scary.

There's been a few times throughout my time played that there was zombies in number, but then the community cried about being murdered by them and so the Devs nerfed the amount into the ground... Now I can go from one side of the map to the other, and see maybe 8...

Although I will admit, they do show up right at the exact same time, that I decide to try and sneak up on people or set up in an area to snipe.

But beyond that, I really wish they would beef them up in numbers, even if those numbers where only concentrated around cities/military/large towns... This would give people something to fight against when they go on low pop servers to loot up...

There's been a few times throughout my time played that there was zombies in number, but then the community cried about being murdered by them and so the Devs nerfed the amount into the ground... 

The actual reason we have no zombies, or at least the reason the devs told us is that with the way the server framework is we can either have loot or zombies, but not both.

The actual reason we have no zombies, or at least the reason the devs told us is that with the way the server framework is we can either have loot or zombies, but not both.

Which is kind of a problem in a zombie-themed survival game.

I played for 2-3 hours today but without Zs the game has little appeal to me. Back in 6 months I guess.

I actually like the zombies in breaking point. They are dumb as someone who has a brain virus but there are way more of them. Sometimes they'll walk right past you other times they'll attack. I think maybe reducing the complexity of zombies and increasing the number would work. As it stands we seem to be trying to create complicated ai when maybe someone with a zombie virus isn't going to be that complex.

Also with hordes, you need horde ai not to have each individual zombie super intelligent. Birds/ants aren't super clever yet in numbers they can create incredible stuff. Same with recreating human crowds. You don't need to model each human to be intelligent you need to examine the group dynamic. What I always hoped in dayz was that the zombies we saw were the leaders. Like in a flock of birds. You only need the leader to be 'intelligent' the rest of the crowd can just follow - only the head zombie needs to spot/chase, the rest follow and attack nearby targets. Making all the zombies as buffed as the leader is just a resource hog. 

Essentially follow the leader and lash out at any local targets. Not all individually scan in all directions.

Edited by freethink

Yes, change the zombie (AI and spawn) if it's too obvious that players are nearby - it's suppose to be a horde of them

and that's usually the main reason to go north. Because without weapons it should be dangerous to be near the larger cities due to zombies.

Edited by Ori42

I played DayZ today for about half an hour. First time in about a year. What's changed? Oh, there are a few new shirts and guns. A couple of buildings that you can go inside now. There's a crosshair, that's nice. NO ZOMBIES.

I then installed the DayZmod and played that for ten minutes, mostly spent running for my life, immersed in the game with the atmospheric music, zombies everywhere, got cornered and pummeled to death. Brilliant fun!

Why can't we have that in the standalone? Seriously, it's been f*cking years. This is supposed to be a zombie apocalypse game. Shouldn't the development priority be the ZOMBIES?

• Like 2

Why can't we have that in the standalone? Seriously, it's been f*cking years. This is supposed to be a zombie apocalypse game. Shouldn't the development priority be the ZOMBIES?

Seriously what's the deal with infected anyway?

Is the server architecture currently overcapacity and unable to support them?

Because after all this time,i seriously doubt that bugs are the reason of their removal.

Seriously what's the deal with infected anyway?

Is the server architecture currently overcapacity and unable to support them?

Because after all this time,i seriously doubt that bugs are the reason of their removal.

They are currently over budget as far as the amount of system resources they consume. They have been scaled back while they are being optimized. I am under the impression that this is actually a very high priority right now. I am also under the impression that they are working more towards a beta ready zed rather than a patched up zed for stable branch appeasement.

Zhang

Edited by Zhang Liao
  • Like 1

Gone to heaven, everyone?

So I played today, for a few hours, after having a break for a couple of months (i think perhaps 3-4 months ago was the last time I played before that). I started in Svetlojarsk and ran around in the NE quadrant of the map (Svelojarsk, Severograg, Gorka, also in the forest areas). I was quite surprised to find that I didn't see one single zombie (!). No animals either.

Have zombies been removed for troubleshooting or something?

Also, does nails have any use?

Another thing I noticed is that paper spawns randomly in my inventory. Strange.

Edited by IgnobleBasterd
  • Like 1

This is the time of year where all the zombies just need to get away from it all. They've been working hard lumbering about and trying to eat people. I here George is having a party at his zombie beach house.

Hopefully we'll see the zombies back in soon.

• Like 1