Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Rolling Update Rev - 0.43.116251

it would be nice, if they tell the people what they do on maintainance, otherwise people will keep asking when the new update gets released.

Maintenaince on stable has nothing to do with new version on experimentals, so...I don't agree with you, at least not for today's mainteinance.

arent we on 0.43? this thread is sooooo ooold and sooo full =) Since i dont check back daily i cant figure out if there was a stable update or an experimental, since you have to choose one for your client. the only thing i recognize for now is when steam pushes out an update on exp branch.

I really would appreciate a more organized update log. (new topic per Patch EXP and Stable)

The actual one is just editing the old ones, packing more stuff in. At least it would be nice to put the new edited stuff to "italic" ^^

Edited by Sloddor

Maintenaince on stable has nothing to do with new version on experimentals, so...I don't agree with you, at least not for today's mainteinance.

you are right, but even for stable maintenaince it would be useful to know what changes they've made. before the netcode changes they released a exp update and pushed the tested exp changes to stable, so you knew what you will get on stable. but now they update exp and stable independantly from each other and don't give any appropriate information to the users. sometimes they only make changes to monitor the hive, sometimes they push new content. and on every update now its the same, servers go down and up again, hicks posts some short information on twitter (without saying what they did) and a few minutes later people start asking what they've changed. if they will tell the ppl "no new stuff today, only hive monitoring changes" everyone knows what to expect.

you are right, but even for stable maintenaince it would be useful to know what changes they've made. before the netcode changes they released a exp update and pushed the tested exp changes to stable, so you knew what you will get on stable. but now they update exp and stable independantly from each other and don't give any appropriate information to the users. sometimes they only make changes to monitor the hive, sometimes they push new content. and on every update now its the same, servers go down and up again, hicks posts some short information on twitter (without saying what they did) and a few minutes later people start asking what they've changed. if they will tell the ppl "no new stuff today, only hive monitoring changes" everyone knows what to expect.

They've said it a few times already, they don't post serverside changes.

You will get a changelog once a real experimental update arrives. Those things were just changes on their side so far.

Edited by Ellen Ripley

the only thing I found out today, is that if I join exp. before the serverlist loads my dayz crashes along with half my pc since I can't shutdown dayz application (nope nor can I via taskmanager etc.) so as far as exp. go's I'll wait until there's a new patch on that before I play

If they will tell the ppl "no new stuff today, only hive monitoring changes" everyone knows what to expect.

It really is that simple. They must get a kick out of keeping everyone wondering. So many times on twitter i see people communicating with Hicks then as soon as the question of an update rises its like a total communication blackout with the offender and he starts tweeting someone else about PAX / Rezzed / random steam games...

• Like 5

actually the only thing I realy miss is the persistent objects. I love to gather some stuff and keep it safe! :) I learned to play with the glitching zombies and also got used to the fact that i have to run all the time! Don't get me wrong i want that stuff fixed but i want to start collecting stuff¨:P

Just a little input of my feelings there! hope there will be an update this week! I check this forum far to much, actually this game takes so much place in my mind! ^^ and it's by far the best game i've ever played atleast thats what my steam hour count says :D

maybe if we give dean all our beans he will give us an update

actually the only thing I realy miss is the persistent objects. I love to gather some stuff and keep it safe! :) I learned to play with the glitching zombies and also got used to the fact that i have to run all the time! Don't get me wrong i want that stuff fixed but i want to start collecting stuff¨ :P

Just a little input of my feelings there! hope there will be an update this week! I check this forum far to much, actually this game takes so much place in my mind! ^^ and it's by far the best game i've ever played atleast thats what my steam hour count says :D

my highest hour count too

I do not want any updates which may bring fatal bugs/glitches/exploits with them. I want a fully bug-free update and therefore I say - dear developers, PLEASE take as much time as you need to be sure that the update works fine. We has that one situation with texture glitched items, if you had them in your inventory, your game starts to lag after 5 minutes. The lags (huge fps drops) were so hard that the game became unplayable. Take your time, please.

• Like 1

I do not want any updates which may bring fatal bugs/glitches/exploits with them. I want a fully bug-free update and therefore I say - dear developers, PLEASE take as much time as you need to be sure that the update works fine. We has that one situation with texture glitched items, if you had them in your inventory, your game starts to lag after 5 minutes. The lags (huge fps drops) were so hard that the game became unplayable. Take your time, please.

That was not the real problem, just our idea. It was explained after, and anyway we are talking about updates to experimental branch, that serves exactly to the purpose you are underlining.

• Like 1

It was the real problem because as soon as you got rid of these glitched items, the game became playable again and the FPS was stable again. In my eyes it was very unprofessional what they did. A big update with a huge problem. It is great to have an exp. branch and it should stay this way, players are good testers in mass. I'm just saying that I'm ready to wait as long as needed but with 1 condition ^^ The update works fine

Sorry to break this to you but no matter how long they take on an update, its going to be hindered with glitches. The sooner they push to exp the better i think, you can carry on playing stable branch either way. Atleast don't promise an update and then go silent like they have done time and time again.

• Like 1

It was the real problem because as soon as you got rid of these glitched items, the game became playable again and the FPS was stable again. In my eyes it was very unprofessional what they did. A big update with a huge problem. It is great to have an exp. branch and it should stay this way, players are good testers in mass. I'm just saying that I'm ready to wait as long as needed but with 1 condition ^^ The update works fine

That is not how things work. If a developer team of X number of members are working on a project have the opportunity to push experimental patches to public where bugs will be found exponentially faster, that is the way to go. If you want to play stable, stay on stable. There is a reason for experimental being experimental...

How do you think bugs are found? By a couple of people testing a software from bugs? No, the guys working on it are the wrong people to test for bugs, since they know how it all should be working, and not how we make it work. I'm a software developer myself and I know how blind one can get from knowing how stuff is supposed to be used.

• Like 2

We are talking about different things. I am talking about updates to STABLE which should be STABLE and about the FPS drop which came with an update back then. The case was the items with glitched textures, they made you lag badly.

You are talking about experimental branch which is exactly for testing, well the name says more then enough. So now, devs and players shall do whatever they want/need to do on experimental but STABLE branch is for STABLE updates, right? Right.

I know how the bugs are found, thanks for the question. I was a beta tester for CS:S

We are talking about different things. I am talking about updates to STABLE which should be STABLE and about the FPS drop which came with an update back then. The case was the items with glitched textures, they made you lag badly.

There's a large difference in scale between the 50 or so experimental servers connected to a small hive and the thousands of stable servers. It's never a 100% sure thing especially in an Alpha. With the previous patch to stable which re-introduced rubber banding and desyncs this was the case. No matter how much testing they would've done on experimental this bug would've never shown up.

And that's the thing, they have stable and experimental but you mustn't forget that the game itself is still in alpha

• Like 1

All I have to say is I am very disappointed... I check back daily hoping to see if there is an update worth checking out, but I have yet to see one in over 2 months. Alpha should be updated daily, and if not, weekly. I could see if this was beta, waiting 2 months for an update, but it's not. What the hell is going on over there? Didn't you just almost double your development team?! GRRR!!! Stop catering to the players "needs", who cares about painting your gun? Wow, that is amazing. Make some worthwhile updates... break the game and fix it again. Do something! You guys have made almost $55,000,000 off sales and the game has made VERY MINIMAL progress since release. Not to mention that more than half the work you guys didn't even have to do, because they have been developing the ARMA engine since Flashpoint. I've been a huge follower of Day Z, since its infancy on ARMA 2. I feel like it is taking longer for them to get this ironed out than the mod did, and now they have full control over everything, unlike before. Doesn't make sense. It's like when I was in the barber shop the other day. The place is PACKED and these 2 guys decide to go on break. That is bullshit. I then had to proceed to wait another 20 minutes before I could get a cut. I feel like that is what's going on here. Stop taking breaks at the most crucial parts of development. Make some progress for a change, we are almost into quarter 2 of 2014 and most of the stuff listed to be available "Early 2014" hasn't even been touched on!

• Like 5

All I have to say is I am very disappointed... I check back daily hoping to see if there is an update worth checking out, but I have yet to see one in over 2 months. Alpha should be updated daily, and if not, weekly. I could see if this was beta, waiting 2 months for an update, but it's not. What the hell is going on over there? Didn't you just almost double your development team?! GRRR!!! Stop catering to the players "needs", who cares about painting your gun? Wow, that is amazing. Make some worthwhile updates... break the game and fix it again. Do something! You guys have made almost $55,000,000 off sales and the game has made VERY MINIMAL progress since release. Not to mention that more than half the work you guys didn't even have to do, because they have been developing the ARMA engine since Flashpoint. I've been a huge follower of Day Z, since its infancy on ARMA 2. I feel like it is taking longer for them to get this ironed out than the mod did, and now they have full control over everything, unlike before. Doesn't make sense. It's like when I was in the barber shop the other day. The place is PACKED and these 2 guys decide to go on break. That is bullshit. I then had to proceed to wait another 20 minutes before I could get a cut. I feel like that is what's going on here. Stop taking breaks at the most crucial parts of development. Make some progress for a change, we are almost into quarter 2 of 2014 and most of the stuff listed to be available "Early 2014" hasn't even been touched on!

Seems like you are super cereal.

I check back daily hoping to see if there is an update worth checking out, but I have yet to see one in over 2 months.

This thread is not even one month old, infact it's three weeks old and it was a major update.

Alpha should be updated daily, and if not, weekly.

Experimental is being updated almost daily.

Didn't you just almost double your development team?! GRRR!!!

That also means that they need to settle themselves and make their way into the project. They can't start 100% the first day.

Stop taking breaks at the most crucial parts of development. Make some progress for a change, we are almost into quarter 2 of 2014 and most of the stuff listed to be available "Early 2014" hasn't even been touched on!

How would you know if they're taking breaks? I don't think they have.

Uninformed rantposts are not appreciated around here, especially if the content is not true. Start reading up of what's going on and stop assuming.

• Like 3

Your best bet is to come back in a few months. There will not be daily huge improvements, sorry. Gotta be realistic.

Edited by Disgraced

How would you know if they're taking breaks? I don't think they have.

I'm guessing hes referring to rezzed (lastweek) and the upcoming PAX (this week). I do hope the announced roadmap does turn out to be pretty solid and not just a faintly scrawled pencil line written on the back of an old post it note.

• Like 1

yeh, devs also should stop having a private life and such, it's simple overrated and obstructively programming a game like dayz. you really think dayzTEAM is smitten when hicks and hall "take a break/doin other biz", do you? hahaha

i like elektro and kami spawns got removed, yeeheeaw

Edited by Guest

I'm curious to try this build. I was away from the game for awhile.

The only thing I really wanted was more zombies really....

If the zombies are reasonable everything else can get piled on after.

yeh, devs also should stop having a private life and such, it's simple overrated and obstructively programming a game like dayz.

i like elektro and kami spawns got removed, yeeheeaw

They should simply hire a community manager or since Rocket didn't want to (apparently, because he wanted to keep that kind of role on him) he should do that, not sometimes as he does but everyday. The community has grown up since the first year of the mod.

Then you'll keep seeing kids complaining about the speed of development or about the supposed lack of skill of the devs, but there would be thousands less people asking, thousands less people complaining about the lack of information, thousands less people saying that they don't work (while they do, actually) and much much more people satisfied because of the good linking between development (fast or slow, it doesn't matter) and management of the alphers (we).

Edit: and this thread would be much more meaningful.

2 cents.

Edited by Gugolas
  • Like 1