Hetstaine

Rocket standing down from Dayz by end of year

Aim is to feed the trolls don't spoil it with your logic wtfudge is wrong with you  :P

Beat you to it :P

This is one prime example why most big developers keep their mouths shut about things like this. Example, Irrational Games shutdown. We didn't know it was going to happen until it happened.

This announcement... poorly thought out... poorly presented and honestly... I hope DayZ SA doesn't suffer due to negligence.

Irrational Games shut down after Bioshock Infinite was actually released as a full and polished product.  NOT THE SAME.

No one would get mad at rocket if he stepped down after DayZ has as much finish as infinite did.  Because that would be him, fulfilling his promise and giving us the actual full game.  Not some shade of a game forever stuck in alpha/beta

Edited by electroban

I'd like to have this thread gold plated so I can keep it with me for always.

It is truly astounding.

L

• Like 5

Clearly, you've never been away from home for over a year.

your assumption is incorrect

I don't doubt that he feels homesick. I just doubt that was the determining factor

It's pretty clear from reading this interview and from everything else I've seen from Dean that he is a classic example of an entrepreneur.  

Entrepreneurs are catalysts (Dean used the term "grenade") who transform an idea into a product and start a business...and do so in the face of enormous personal risk.  

The hard truth is that entrepreneurs typically hate the necessary structure that comes when the free-flowing, fast-past, and very flexible start-up business is successful and transitions into a mature business.  

Business growth and maturation increases the complexity of the business.  This complexity requires rigorous systems and processes to maintain the business' functional integrity.  Entrepreneurs typically hate structure and process rigor...that's typically why they became entrepreneurs in the first place. 

Dean is doing a good thing by recognizing what he is, embracing it, and taking action on this.  It would be of much greater harm to him, the game, and the community if he didn't.  Many a successful start-up business has been destroyed because the founding entrepreneur lacked the ability to lead the organization's transition to mature business or couldn't recognize their inability to do so.  

And why would anybody be surprised Dean would come out and talk openly about it?  Transparency has defined his game development career and has been one of the reasons he's been so successful at getting people to buy into his projects.  

Good analysis. Very well written. 

Obviously I don't know the man personally, but this fits with the little I have seen in his public persona.

Sad to see him leaving but I have no doubt BI will see this thing through as they have a lot of money and reputation at stake here.

Calm your tits people. Perhaps they will add a Rocket zombie that you can beat on for revenge...

• Like 2

I think rocket got into an argument and got fired.

(not taking either side here, that is just how it looks to me)

perhaps we get nametags now that he will leave.

Irrational Games shut down after Bioshock Infinite was actually released as a full and polished product.  NOT THE SAME.

No one would get mad at rocket if he stepped down after DayZ has as much finish as infinite did.  Because that would be him, fulfilling his promise and giving us the actual full game.  Not some shade of a game forever stuck in alpha/beta

Dude... really? I could give two sh*ts about him leaving. I'm saying that announcing his leaving 10-months ahead of time was a bad idea. That's all. Fudge me!!! Reading comprehension really has dropped tremendously...

i know i'm getting old dude :-(

You're not alone there :P Edited by Awc#80

I dont understand why you are all going crazy about this. He is leaving next year, after he pushed every idea he had for the game into production. Project Leaddesign is his task. Hes not even a professional. Time to move on, and get to a new project. The standalone will be fine until then.

Edited by Sloddor
  • Like 1

It is truly astounding.

is there really something surprising about the reactions?

Congratulations!, you have found the secret comment! Don't tell the trolls where it is! They will murder me!

My guess is that Dean figured he gets the news out now that he'll be leaving during the Beta, rather than during the Beta release, where his leaving overshadows everything.  This way people will be prepared by then and it won't be such a big deal it happened.  Get the whining and complaining out now and therefore the transition goes smoother when it needs to happen.

"Having worked on one modification of a game for five years, and releasing precisely zero games, Dean Hall has decided that all of this success is too much for him, and he wants to start his own game studio with none of his former Bohemia Interactive resources"

He's got our money as a resource.

Dude... really? I could give two sh*ts about him leaving. I'm saying that announcing his leaving 10-months ahead of time was a bad idea. That's all. Fudge me!!! Reading comprehension really has dropped tremendously...

Yeah and i'm telling you the Irrational games situation isn't comparable.

I'd like to have this thread gold plated so I can keep it with me for always.

It is truly astounding.

L

I shall print and frame it, just so you can hang it up over your monitor.

• Like 1

I shall print and frame it, just so you can hang it up over your monitor.

hope you have plenty of paper as we got ten months yet of printing :lol:

• Like 2

I for one will miss his well crazy outlooks his and i say this in a good way almost child like wonder when playing or talking about dayz ( hey i am a big kid at 40)..

I lament the fact ill not get to face him in dayz ( although i hope he plays going to nz alot of kiwis play australian servers..)

If he was a smart kiwi he would like me have moved his family to australia the weather is warmer the women hotter and hell id buy him a beer..

Good luck dean not sure i liked how ya called it but hey i loved how ya made it....

I totally believe in Dean and the team. They really did a great and awseome job so far !

This game will be great, even when Deas is leavin the active development. Cant understand the panic, which is going on....

Edited by Rancor

I totally believe in Dean and the team. They really did a great and awseome job so far !

This game will be great, even when Deas is leavin the active development. Cant understand the panic, which is going on....

People have different ways of interpreting a simple message, leading to speculation that Dayz will be abandoned just like Warz. People need to take a second and step into Dean's shoes.

• Like 1

"Having worked on one modification of a game for five years, and releasing precisely zero games, Dean Hall has decided that all of this success is too much for him, and he wants to start his own game studio with none of his former Bohemia Interactive resources"

He's got our money as a resource.

Yeah and i'm telling you the Irrational games situation isn't comparable.

Stupid is, stupid does. Monkey see, monkey do.

Really? How? His excuse is that he isnt equipped to be a leader.. but he wants to start his own.. studio?please argue that owning a studio doesnt require leadership skills.

He was an officer in the NZ army... I don't expect much but basic leadership should be a prerequisite to graduate their OCS. I bet he's an ok leader.

I can totally understand the panic. People like to think they can read minds, understand people's motivation and know exactly what is going on behind closed doors. That's why it was a dumba** move to announce that he's leaving.

Anyone remotely interested in actually investing $30 bucks in DayZ might read a crapload about "why Dean is leaving" and decide it isn't worth the risk of buying. So, hence BIS lost a sale. Multiply that by a 100 or a 1000, then you have yourself a PR/Marketing nightmare... again it really befuddles the mind why this was publicized.

I don't know what the trouble is here. Dean has fathered a child. It will grow up without him parenting it until maturity. Maybe even better than under his influence. Who knows?

He abandoned the mod back then and it still grows by the power of the community. Actually it started to thrive after he did. There have been like months without any development until Rocket finally could bring himself to let others take over.

And even if DayZ is gonna go to shit...play some other game! You will be bored by it at some point anyway.