Hetstaine

Rocket standing down from Dayz by end of year

i'd have more sympathy for him if he spent less time on twitter and twitch and more time MAKING THE GAME

Dude he would openly admit to playing banished for hours on his twitter.. Guys a joke

• Like 1

You people say he's resigning but after watching his interviews, or I mean him bumbling around in the game not paying attention to the questions being asked, I have a feeling he may have been let go prematurely. I like his vision but at a professional level he was not the guy you want for interviews

For sure.  Have you ever watched his twitch streams?  He is the most childish, condescending ass to his dev team when they would be playing together.  After I purchased the game and was loving it in alpha form, I went on to one of his streams and was just shocked that this was the "genius" behind this game.  He just doesn't have it.  I don't know how old he actually is, but it seems he never got the chance to grow up and become a professional--which is what this game so desperately needs. 

don't worry domina, my heart is breaking over the news god bless our savior rocket christ... ;)

lol!

enjoy NZ!

And i hope all the moderators of this forum follow him up the mountain and meet their perilous end.

Topics merged.

Game is copyrighted to Dean Hall & Bohemia Interactive, the plans are laid, the direction is onward, I really  don't see that to be a problem.

• Like 3

Topics merged.

Game is copyrighted to Dean Hall & Bohemia Interactive, the plans are laid, the direction is onward, I really  don't see that to be a problem.

No one cares.

You would say that, how could you not you lead the sheep.

Dude he would openly admit to playing banished for hours on his twitter.. Guys a joke

Yeh, how dare Dean play games in his free time, what an outrage.

• Like 6

The fact that he has 10 months left wouldn't be a problem if it didn't take over a year to finish just 15-20% of the game. Unless BI pump some much-deserved resources into the game that made them rich in the first place, then it isn't going to reach its potential.

I have a feeling the main problem isn't even with rocket, but the way BIS have handled the situation. Leaving the standalone to be developed by a small team while all the resources were spent on ARMA3.

The correct thing to do, I think, would be to use some of the huge cash made from ARMA2:CO and ARMA3 to hire a large team to develop DayZ parallel to ARMA3, all using the ARMA3 engine and not wasting time with the tired old ARMA2 engine. Lack of foresight and negligence seems to have killed the momentum of this game :/

What makes you think the game is 15-20% completed?  We don't even have a clue where it's going, let alone how much more we can expect.      

This is what I mean when I keep saying people don't read.

• He's leaving at the end of the year.
  • Alpha is scheduled to be over at the end of the year.

Why are you so blind to fail to see the words on the screen in font of you?

9 months and 5 days. The game still has broken zombies, invisible walls, hackers, no respawning loot, no optimisation (lol), no vehicles, no fire, no animals, no tents. Alls we get to see are cosmetic things and hats.

Him leaving is insulting and you know it. 

When bohemia interactive saw that DAYZ mod resulted in two million copies of arma2 being sold they saw that it had potential. Bohemia gave dean hall a huge signing bonus and project lead to start his own studio and crew of developers.. It's what he chose to do with these perks that surprised everyone including bohemia.

He did not open a dayz studio.. he did not hire any new game developers.. He just kept the same 2-3 modding buddies living in various parts of the world. Than mid development dean hall dissapeared to go climb mt. everest..

This guy belongs in a mental institution not the project lead of a game..

Probably Rocket has noticed that there are too many different tastes out there so that all he can do is to deliver a solid ground of a survival game which then will be modded and played in different versions mainly on private hives....maybe not the worst option...

Edited by Private Evans

Hey i just want that ULTIMATE zombie game i really ask for no more or less. If i have to get my fix through games like Dying Light and Enemy Within than so be it.

I just don't see what the Eurogamer interview has to do with your desire for the ULTIMATE zombie game, nor do I see much relevance to any of the things I've read here and on the DayZ subreddit. In fact, it's even worse over there.

Stuff like that almost makes me ashamed to have gaming as my hobby. I'd chalk it up to kids and teenagers, but I know that adults gamers are often the worst of the bunch. "I have a job, so now I know everything and expect companies to kiss my ass."

On the plus side, this really shows you which of us are the dumbest:

oh yeah, it will.

the game will be shit on release, but it'll get released.

the lead dev jumping ship means it's gonna be great.

that lead dev, just too much of a perfectionist to handle flawed concept such as dayz.

not worth his time. he's above something as trivial as dayz.

next project!

What do you expect, he's leaving in ALPHA, why are you so blind to see this is disrespectful and unprofessional?.

He wont be getting a penny from me, released Dayz in such a shit boring state, wont even see it to the end.... just feel ripped off, a bit like ARMA 3. He just wanted to milk us all tbh, funny how SA failed so badly and now we're all back playing the mod or Rust or whatever else cause SA is so crap.

None of you are getting Christmas cards from me this year.

This is just my opinion and speculation. After reading these forums for a while and talking to some posters that say that they're game devs as well as my two friends in the industry I wanted to kind of make this thread. 

I'm not a developer but I do go to school for PR&Marketing . I'm also not so naive to take what these guys have said as 100% truth. I see the bigger picture that they're making. 

When Jovlon posted What Alpha Should Be he said that he saw dysfunction within BI. FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVEN'T READ THAT MONSTER OF A THREAD GO TO THE LAST FEW PAGES TO GET WHAT HE WAS TRYING TO SAY. (Sorry for the bold but it's slightly important to my point)

He started off as a jerk but he ended up having some valid points (especially now) whenever he explained himself both in forum and through pm. 

Fracture posted about the Direction of Development. He made similar points. These two guys said that they're in the business and they didn't really feel comfortable with the direction of the game before this announcement. 

Once I talked to my two friends in the business and read Rocket's statement I kind of went from maybe to agreeing with the guys that say that they're game devs.

Though we all know that Rocket isn't the best PR guy this feels like he's trying to stick it to BI while setting up his next move. 

Most people in Rocket's position would wait until things are closer to a big landmark goal to announce their departure. That way instead of it becoming a lame-duck period it becomes a period to celebrate all that they contributed to the project. Most people would announce this 2-3 months out.

Most people would say something cliche like "I want to thank BI for giving me the opportunity" and etc. instead of "I never wanted to be here". Maybe Jovlon was right in speculating that Rocket didn't get as much power to push his vision as he thought he would. When he did live streams he made a huge PR blunder by not knowing what was in his own game for christ sake. It could have been very telling though.

Rocket also announced that he's already working on similar ideas with new concepts and planning to create a new studio once he leaves. From a PR standpoint he's basically discrediting this game as a work that he couldn't push towards his true vision for whatever reason and saying that he's going to attempt to do so with the new studio. 

Jovlon made the point that Rocket has been passionately working on the same game concept for years now. He said that whether he's being limited on the technical side of things like the game engine and or power is being stripped away on a project that he's slaved on for a while now, it makes sense that he would use the exposure that he's gained to setup a move to regain pure control over his vision. 

I know that this is just speculation and that's why I didn't try to make a strong argument. Whether intentional or not based off of my studies I just see the timing and wording of this as a swing towards BI. I'm probably completely wrong though. (:

• Like 3

When bohemia interactive saw that DAYZ mod resulted in two million copies of arma2 being sold they saw that it had potential. Bohemia gave dean hall a huge signing bonus and project lead to start his own studio and crew of developers.. It's what he chose to do with these perks that surprised everyone including bohemia.

He did not open a dayz studio.. he did not hire any new game developers.. He just kept the same 2-3 modding buddies living in various parts of the world. Than mid development dean hall dissapeared to go climb mt. everest..

This guy belongs in a mental institution not the project lead of a game..

Are we just making things up now?

Topics merged.

But the masses have already soiled themselves, assembled, and gathered weapons and torches. You can't fight that with your reason and logic. Haven't you ever read Frankenstein?

Edited by McGarnagle

Maybe it's the engine that is bad,and can't fully support Dean's vision.

I agree with this in some extend,it's clunky and bery bad to develop a game with DayZ's standarts.

As retarded as i may sound,I would personally support if Dean made a new start,using the engine he wants and implement everything from scratch.

Im sorry but who is this professional coding team you speak of? Do you know dayz project is 3 people? When dean hall made the free dayz mod he had 2 friends who helped make it happen. Bohemia then saw that dayz was creating millions of sales for arma2 so they gave dean hall a signing bonus and project lead in hope he would open a studio and get a bunch of developers together to make it a standalone game.. Its what he chose to do with this bonus and project lead that was surprising.. He didnt hire anyone new or open a studio, he stuck with the same mod crew and thats it. So what we have is a group of small time game modders. There is no dayz game company. its just published by bohemia interactive and on the main menu it just says "created by dean hall" which is just the biggest joke of all.

You need a game company to make a game.. Indie game developers usually start their own teams and give themselves a name like, Insomnia, Uig, Hammerpoint, Gearbox.. etc. What is dayz game company called? Dean hall?

So when you say dayz professional coding team it just makes me laugh because there is nothing professional about the coding of dayz.. Ask any real game developer and they are able to recognize how poorly coded dayz really is. In fact, every change we see in dayz is just in fact just a modification of the arma2 code. So it is in fact very much a mod.. It IS still a mod. Melee items are no more than guns with an effective range of 12-36 inches, broken legs are no more than just going prone, jump is just a re-animation of the arma2 step-over animation, the added bayonets to the weapon do not function, the inventory is just a re-skin of the existing arma2 inventory..  there really is nothing "new" coded into dayz, its still 100% dependent on arma2's interface. The only new things added by dayz "professional coding team" that you seem to imagine is no more than cosmetic items like motorcycle helmets and shirts. If you took arma2 away from dayz you would be left with an empty white screen and a floating motorcycle helmet.

So you might want to do some research before calling others naive.. You just base your statements on what you imagine the dayz team might be.. There is no dayz developer team.. Its just two people not even working in the same room.

me thinks you should do a little more research, your info is a little outdated(or flat out lies), but by all means i dont want to stop the childish rage of the masses.

Edited by Chucknorris405

Update from Bohemia Interactive's HR Department:

• NOW HEAR THIS - All staff vacations and non-work activities specifically, but not limited to, the recreational playing of non-Bohemia games must be sanctioned and pre-approved by the Bohemia Interactive Forum Community via an open-poll thread.  This will be known as and hereafter referred to as the "Rocket Rule". That is all.  
Edited by iBane
  • Like 3

I just don't see what the Eurogamer interview has to do with your desire for the ULTIMATE zombie game, nor do I see much relevance to any of the things I've read here and on the DayZ subreddit. In fact, it's even worse over there.

Stuff like that almost makes me ashamed to have gaming as my hobby. I'd chalk it up to kids and teenagers, but I know that adults gamers are often the worst of the bunch. "I have a job, so now I know everything and expect companies to kiss my ass."

On the plus side, this really shows you which of us are the dumbest:

None of you are getting Christmas cards from me this year.

It has everything to do with the game and topic at hand. The zombies are the most core feature of the game beside survival. If it takes over 10 months to even try and get things fixed with little or no progression afterwards im going to be very sad. But again there are other games to play till things get possibly straightened out. I just think it was a BAD idea to announce this only 2 months into alpha. Were NOT even close to beta yet ether.

The question shouldn't be about why Dean leaving. We really should be asking what kind of buyout deal Dean made with Bohemia, and when. Was it a rounded number based on projected sales, and what they thought would be a success, prior to release? Or did Dean do the smart thing like Toby McGuire on Spiderman, and ask for a percentage of the profits?

You can see that Bohemia now owns DayZ. But he didn't sell it off without getting some top billing for himself at the bottom of the game menu - "Created By Dean Hall"

You see, Toby McGuire took a pay cut on the first Spiderman, but not without asking for a 17% of the all profits from the movie first. It turned out Toby became a very rich man later. I would hope and pray that Dean made the same kind of deal.

Dean mentioned that they projected 250k copies of the game sold would be considered successful. It would be really sad to find out Dean took a buyout based on projected successful sales prior to release.

dgeesio, on 24 Feb 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

weird how such a hot property through unprofessional use of media is probably going to end up like a leper in such a short period. quite amazing.

his own bad wordmanship has finally caught up.

we might not agree very often, but in this i agree 100%

i sort of knew SA would never be finished under Rockets watch, but even im shocked how quickly he's bailing..

the statement of MOD support now being a priority is VERY telling..

That second link was just sad to read. We have people like that in this very community.

And he got how many points for it??

But in this community the moderators do a great job of suppresing the community hence why this place is full of brown noses.

Two things that can ruin a game early. Bad moderators and terrible updates, this game has it all.

Edited by africanhungergames

with the rollercoaster ride that has been DayZ and Dean Hall, I'm not sure what to make of this. somewhere behind the curtain I assume there's contracts and money that comes into play here

with the rollercoaster ride that has been DayZ and Dean Hall, I'm not sure what to make of this. somewhere behind the curtain I assume there's contracts and money that comes into play here

That wasn't a difficult conclusion based on the amount of sales..