Hetstaine

Rocket standing down from Dayz by end of year

The Doom that Came to Atlantic City.

WarZ. for all intents and purposes, it still isn't a finished game despite going "gold" in December 2012. I'm still waiting for what I was promised when I preordered :P server sizes, features, map size, are all still below what was advertised and implied as being complete. Stronghold servers still aren't what they were said to be... And so on and so forth. We all know the tale.

I could likely find more, if I had to.

That is a really bad example :) 

People who couldn't see the game was super dodgy from the get go have only themselves to blame for throwing money at it (yes this includes you :D ) A few minutes of research before throwing your money at your screen always does wonders. 

Rocket is still  in a major role for ten months, not having a hissy fit on the forums and also not lying and banning players and forum users.

Artists are perfectionists, I think we're all a little relieved that he hasn't cut off his left ear yet, because of the clipping zombies.

You know your reference had nothing to do with art nor perfectionism right?

I heard that news too...kind of a a surprise. Well he said in his in one of his departing remarks, "Day Z is fundamentally flawed by design." I found that abit concerning to be honest.

So who knows. There probably allot we don't know about thats going on. I just hope Dayz SA continues and finishes the rest of its development. I also hope the start really addressing some of the really bad death bugs like death by ladder or being pushed out of buildings or structures only to have you legs broke or die. Then after you die your try to run back to your body to collect your items that you spent hours collecting sometimes days, only to have a a server reset or you body cant loot you body because its half way through a wall. They got to fix that shit serously. I don't care if its alpha or no alpha they need to fix it first. To me those are nasty game killing bugs. 

There was a guy on hear who claimed he logged 100 of hours and still is on his 1st life, and has never died. I thought to my self, gee he most have been on a server all by all himself and has never been up stairs or ladders. I die more by bugs then zombies or other players. 

I hope they pull through.

Edited by CJFlint

Not going to jump to conclusions regarding DayZ's development, but holy balls what a poor chosen time and wording to bring this news.

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

• Like 2

It pisses me off that we have to wait a year for him to leave..

If your heart is not into it than do us all a favor and leave NOW so we don't have to all suffer through a THIRD year of your half-assed work. Do everyone a favor and step down right now so someone who is not a complete debbie-downer can come forward with a fresh, glass is half-full attitude and take over what you are not man enough to finish.. A game as important as dayz needs to be ran by a leader and businessman who is not afraid to take risks, hire new devs, purchase a game studio, give his team a name, and get the ball rolling Because Dayz is worth it. The return on any invested money put into dayz will be paid back tenfold. Dean hall has been given NOTHING but opportunity.. Bohemia has given you the funding and opportunity to be project-lead on one of the most important IPs to ever hit the gaming industry and you turn it down?? Dean hall has been given the once in a lifetime opportunity to become the next equivalent to VALVE in the world of pc gaming AND HE TURNS IT DOWN? This idiot leaving might be the best thing that has ever happened to dayz honestly.. We need a man not a mere child who calls himself "rocket". I just hope whoever takes deans place gets super rich while he fades into just a foggy memory.

And this isnt the first time dean has decided to quit when he was needed the most.. And what i find the funniest is that this narcissistic douchebag thinks we will blindy support him in his future endeavors regardless of what he chooses to do.. He excitedly talks about "AWESOME MOUNTAIN CLIMBING SIMULATORS" to interviewers as if he thinks we will find that shit cool.. Sorry to rain on your parade dean hall but the only reason people even know who you are is because of dayz.. Without dayz you are just some guy..Next time he announces a game and tries to get us all on board and excited about it we will just say YEAH AND YOU WILL JUST ABANDON IT LIKE YOU DID DAYZ REMEMBER?... Im sorry but this move is the single handed worst thing that dean hall can do for his reputation and future career as a game developer.. You can basically FORGET any future game sucesses if you can't even follow through on one of the most important games of all time.

What kind of idiot turns down project lead of one of the most important IP's in gaming history? Opportunity like this doesn't knock twice

• Like 3

Perfect in his mind. Not perfect as in "everyone will dig it".

"perfect" is a rather absolute term. unattainable IMO

Hmm, ok, that's seriously f***ed up...

I didn't invest in DayZ, I invested in Hall's Dayz. I want a god damn grenade as a project lead, that's why I put money in it while I NEVER put money in that kind of early alpha/kickstarter stuff. That'll teach me I suppose.

Really hope he'll keep his head in the game for the coming year and not start working on another project of his own while just sitting pretty at Bohemia being a figure-head.

Razor for president of the world (and therefor DayZ) 

You know your reference had nothing to do with art nor perfectionism right?

In my mind it had and that's good enough for me.

I really cant see how people think its okay for the lead dev of the game to step down so early, it really isn't a good thing at all.

"perfect" is a rather absolute term. unattainable IMO

...from Latin perfectus, which is the perfect passive participle of the verb perficere "to finish"...

I really cant see how people think its okay for the lead dev of the game to step down so early, it really isn't a good thing at all.

Is 3.5+ years of development, up until the optimization and bug-squashing phase really "so early"? The game is practically finished at that point. I think you have a sensational mindset.

Edited by t1337Dude

Is 3.5+ years of development, up until the optimization and bug-squashing phase really "so early"? The game is practically finished at that point. I think you have a sensational mindset.

Given the amount of content the game has now, I dont see how they will be anywhere near done adding all the features they want in 10 or so months, so yeah i think he is ditching the project because he knows its not working out.

• Like 1

He's just gonna clip it.

(The Who) YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!

Must be a pretty important reason why he's going.

My guess is deans said a lot of stuff of what he wants to see In the game but probably is impossible with this game engine. Probably made too many promises.

It pisses me off that we have to wait a year for him to leave..

(wall of text)

Even if it sounds harsh on my behalf....i agree with this.

Although randal you have to understand,it's not easy beign in his shoes.

You have to respect the fact though,that when shit hit the fan,he was on reddit to answer people,even though they cursed him.

Not many people would do that,and it takes alot of guts trying to comunicate with the people that rather see you burn in stake...

He is close with the community more than any other Dev,people got angry,because he sounded like he lost his passion.

People got angry because they care about the game and the creator together.

But in the end,he does have to see his family and we ought to respect that.All the stress that must be building inside him would drive almost

anyone crazy.No need to make matters worse.

• Like 3

You have to respect the fact though,that when shit hit the fan,he was on reddit to answer people,even though they cursed him.

Not many people would do that,and it takes alot of guts trying to comunicate with the people that rather see you burn in stake...

He is close with the community more than any other Dev,people got angry,because he sounded like he lost his passion.

But in the end,he does have to see his family and we ought to respect that.All the stress that must be building inside him would drive almost

Im sure ppl are crazy enough to murder some one over this. Iv heard of acts of violence over opinions and other things before related to games. He should have kept this quite for now. Some crazy ass nut might be planing something and he would never know it until its to late.

Believe me ppl get REALLY physical over video games even more than movies and freaking music sometimes.

If ANYTHING he should have kept this quite for his safety.

Guess what? The text was black then. Smartass -.-

No, it would be black on mobile devices, where the background is white, and white on the standard forum, where the background is black. Simply keeping your text color at the default (automatic) setting allows everyone to read it.

...from Latin perfectus, which is the perfect passive participle of the verb perficere "to finish"...

to be clear, I'm referring to the adjective. the verb is a different story

Im sure ppl are crazy enough to murder some one over this. Iv heard of acts of violence over opinions and other things before related to games. He should have kept this quite for now. Some crazy ass nut might be planing something and he would never know it until its to late.

Believe me ppl get REALLY physical over video games even more than movies and freaking music sometimes.

Well,it's not that he should be afraid of the psychos.He climbed the Everest,i don't thing he is defenslees :P

His psycology is what he should propably take care of,it's not easy having

300k people online cursing you in your face and try to assure them that everything's in order.

Well,it's not that he should be afraid of the psychos.He climbed the Everest,i don't thing he is defenslees :P

His psycology is what he should propably take care of,it's not easy having

300k people online cursing you in your face and try to assure them that everything's in order.

Dude i almost got freaking pummeled by a guy cause i told him 3DO sucked but seriously man. Some ppls emotions are to strong on this crap.

He was also drunk.

Edited by Deathlove

Question by RifleEyez @ Reddit..

When you say ''fundamentally flawed'', why is this? 

That was one comment made in the middle of a four hour interview :)

What I'm referring to there, is that I see DayZ as having elements of the "ultimate multiplayer experience" but I was discussing with the interviewer all the things that I did not think were perfect about DayZ. We were discussing the ways in which I believe the concept - the core design - that I came up with is flawed. There are things the game cannot do because of the way I designed it. These are important lessons that I take heed of.

However, they don't detract from the game at all, and indeed to change these would dramatically change the game and not necessarily for the better (for example: I could just be completely wrong). The DayZ game should head in the direction it is, but any future game I make should take into account what I feel are flaws in my previous design(s).  

• Like 2

I agreed with his comment as well, but this was well put.  He did always face the music when shit hit the fan, so I will give him credit for that.  

• Like 1

Serous? Really? 

Anyone who thinks like that should not be playing games and should be in a mental ward. Its entertainment! People paid only 30 bucks for it. Me I got 100+ hours out of it. More then some games I have had for over a year. Its already paid for it self. And there is a disclaimer, that you read when you log making people aware that it is vary early in development. 

All they need to do is fix some of the really bad bugs, and the game is already pretty good minus all the new content that will be added.

There's a major difference between DayZ and other violent game and reality. If people don't get that they should not be playing game, either because they are too young or they have mental illness.

I really think they need to do a better job with age verification.

Edited by CJFlint