YeBittenDog

Less Military. More Apocalyptic. (Clothing)

A lot of these are just normal clothes, just layered upon one another. Instead of getting pre-set outfits, with strict variations of clothing, i'd rather have the ability to just wear multiple layers of clothing. It would allow for a endless combination of looks. The difficult part is measuring the effect it would have on the player, such as the weight, warmth, and so on.

maybe you misunderstood me i love madmax and roadwarrior i hated beyond thunderdome it was cheesy i don't like the fact that in the new one you have these well kept models running around the desert when they would probably be starving and not have a pretty white smile that is what i don't like. the bandits and the vehicles look amazing and so do the emp type of stuff they drive through in the trailer. but those models with perfect smiles make me think its going to be a stinker probably a take this holy chick to the holy city while bandits try to kill thats been done over and over again in wasteland types of movies. sry for wall of text in advance

ah, I underr stand you now^^

Maybe these "models" have been kept as prisoners by the "Wild Bunch" and they treated their prisoners well, just some indian tribes used to :D

Don't know if it's been suggested yet, but i'd LOVE to see poncho's get into the game, especially if they make survival poncho's that you could combine with rope to create lean-to style shelters like in the picture. It would really only be to protect the player from rain and such, maybe give it a small storage capacity.

poncho-shelter.jpg

• Like 1

I think that having an item such as a bulletproof vest that you can place underneath your T-Shirt would be useful in changing up the gear a bit. Tac vests do offer a fair amount of protection that you may not want to give up.

It's also important to have civilian gear that has large amounts of storage space. Think a trench coat or something along those lines, or imagine a duster where you can sew new pockets all over the inside.

They should implement a layer system, too. There's already a bit of that with the head where you can have a face mask, glasses and a helmet on, but something like that on the chest area would be useful. Think a bulletproof vest under a tactical shirt, with a trench coat on top.

While we're at it, purely for the cosmetics, I'd really, really love to see ponchos, capes, cloaks and similar articles added. This even serves a tactical purpose in covering some of your high grade gear (or lack thereof) to either get the drop on people, become less of a target or not scare other friendlies off.

A reasonable way of adding more storage space to civ outfits without being unrealistic would be to add ankle and waist holsters/tactical belts, as well as letting a user wear two chest holsters across their front, so long as they haven't got a tactical vest on. Then allow holsters to hold any one item up to the size of a sawn-off. This allows for people to have large amounts of storage available to them no matter what, so long as they manage it well. Just make it impossible to wear ankle holsters when wearing Military/Combat/Jungle Boots or wellies. I'm fairly sure that you can't wear a holster over a vest, but I may be wrong there. But yeah, shouldn't be able to.

This would even out the playing field a little when it comes to loot. At the moment, military is the usual choice because it offers superior protection, camouflage and storage space to anything else. There's no reason other than cosmetics to use other gear - and there's very few good looking articles of clothing that isn't military clothing. Until there is a reason, we'll continue to see the apparent clone troopers marauding the land of Chernarus.

Ideally, in the end, you'd see a reasonable amount of protection with full civilian gear from blunt and sharp weapons, good protection from zombies and ballistics protection localized only to the torso area, thanks to your bulletproof vest. This could consist of leather, football gear (should be sprayable) and biker clothing. Civilian gear would, when decked out fully, have more storage space than military gear, though some of it would be limited to certain items (holsters as described above).

Then, military gear provides better protection all around and stays pretty much as it is... Except now there's also ponchos, cloaks and capes that you can wear over that stuff to look a bit more bad ass.

EDIT: I also want a sombrero. Just for me.

Edited by Beizs

I wear military gear because it's the best of what's around. Mostly I'm concerned about storage space. If some sweet civilian clothes gave me the opportunity to carry more stuff, I'd do it. I always liked the Fallout merchant outfit because of the gear. I want bandoliers, an LBV over my flak jacket (not a MOLLE vest, but oldschool '70s gear vests), belts, whatever. It'd be cool to roll looking like that and I'd take it, provided it has those storage capacities exceeding mil gear.

Yea I like the idea of more custom clothing styles etc. Currently its military or you're going to be at a disadvantage. 

I have friends who play and when they are finding each other after being separated they often say 'take your helmet off so I know it's you approaching'.. 

That in itself indicates there is not enough variety of clothing or armor that offers the same /suitable protection yet varies in customized ability. 

I would like to have Black Balaclava, Black hats, jackets, bags, and Smersh Vest and Backpacks of all versions.

At the moment, military is the usual choice because it offers superior protection, camouflage and storage space to anything else. There's no reason other than cosmetics to use other gear - and there's very few good looking articles of clothing that isn't military clothing. Until there is a reason, we'll continue to see the apparent clone troopers marauding the land of Chernarus.

This would be why I am in Military gear when I find it. Add to that list that some of it is waterproof so I don't spend time soaked and cold. Military gear just helps you survive by allowing you to carry more, stay warmer, blend in, and more. Very little reason to use the civilian stuff if you are trying to stay alive and healthy other than, "I look like everyone else and that can get me shot." I mean I shot my friend because he looked just like the other guy we ran into and he said into the mic, "I'm dead." which I took to mean literally not "He is going to kill me." so I came around the corner found two identically dressed guys with one moving and assumed it was the other guy... nope... 't'was my friend I sent to the coast.

• Like 1

For me its not the fact that dayz has military gear or what have you, Its the fact that its just not gritty enough....yet. Our male avatars have clean shave, and are clean cut. The female avatars all have there hair done up in a bun, almost like military reg. I want to see beards and a more unkept look. I want see more options to craft clothing. I want the world to look more gritty, spooky and scary. I want it to look like a real dump a real shit hole.

The SA still has not set its self apart enough from the ARMA series. I have faith though.

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 3

I wish developers would remove all military areas for the standalone but instead we have more military areas than the mod :/

I think military equipment should be very hard to get, maybe spawning in crash sites only or at random generated events.

Edited by Wili

...Mmm... We are seeing some nice new items of clothing, trouble is they all seem to have a lower capacity than the military standards. ...So they stay as a kind of amusing sideshow until they're replaced with military kit.

The improvised backpacks are, I think, the most satisfying 'clothing' items in the game. ...Because they're crafted I guess. I want more of that stuff. It'd be so cool if players could craft and modify the existing clothing types - stitch on extra pockets, craft pouches to add to a belt, that kind of thing. But those civilian or DIY outfits need to have the capability to equal or surpass the military issue clothing or they'll not be used.

Making a ghillie suit... the effort that takes adds an extensive 'mission' element to building your character that can keep you battling away for several days. That adds so mush to the game. More similarly hard-to-come-by craftable clothing items like that would add so much more... Having the 'easy option' of military for some but for the more hardcore player there's the option of slowly scraping up all the bits and pieces to create his 'perfect' custom outfit. 

Mmm.

...Our male avatars have clean shave, and are clean cut. The female avatars all have there hair done up in a bun, almost like military reg // I want it to look like a real dump a real shit hole.

I'm just wondering if Bohemia might be frightened of making the game appear too 'cultish' ...Keeping it looking kinda conservative and easily accessible rather than going all out 'crazy farm' with it.

Edited by Harmonica

I wish developers would remove all military areas for the standalone but instead we have more military areas than the mod :/

I think military equipment should be very hard to get, maybe spawning in crash sites only or at random generated events.

Agreed.

Military clothing should only spawn in heli loot it should be extremely rare.

I've noticed that after a while, everyone who "gears up" ends up looking like uniformed military. Everyone ends up dressing nearly the same as they "upgrade" their equipment for more space.

You think it's bad now? you should have been playing a year ago when there were about 10% of the clothes that there are in game right now :p

You think it's bad now? you should have been playing a year ago when there were about 10% of the clothes that there are in game right now :P

Hahaa, the horror days when it was all TTSKO, Ballistic Helms, Gas Masks, M4's and a Fire Axe... And just about nothing else. Yeah, I honestly feel like there's almost all the different variations of clothes that we need now, the next step is layering. Still believe that they do need to add a bulletproof vest that you can wear under a shirt though.

• Like 1

I personally think the whole game needs more apocalyptic imagery and less military focused things. This goes for everything, from guns to clothing, to houses, to vehicles and so on. I have no downer on the military stuff, much of it looks really cool, however I would like to see more "survival" or "apocalyptic" art assets. The game has a bit too much Arma in it for me.

I'd personally like the option to make cargo pants into cutoffs, like I often do with surplus pants for fishing/hiking/camping.  The cutoffs would not get wet when you run through shallow water, and dry off faster after swimming.  Also fishing/hunting/shooting vests.  No armor value beyond what a T-shirt offers, but lots of storage.  Perhaps a 16 slot vest separated into two sides, with 2 slots wide and 4 slots tall.  As much as I'd enjoy running around with four sawn-offs, that seems a bit unrealistic.  The main thing I want to emphasize about the sport vests is irregular shapen inventory, to prevent them from becoming walking armories.

I would like to see latex gloves in the game as another glove option. They could offer protection against biological factors once the disease system gets overhauled. There could also be the option of tying the gloves into a makeshift canteen to carry water, which would fit well into the current crafting system.

Agreed.

Military clothing should only spawn in heli loot it should be extremely rare.

Wat.

If anything (and I don't agree with this either) it should be military guns that spawn at helicopter crashsites while their uniforms and combat gear spawn in the bases. I mean, the most likely possessions you're going to find in the barracks are... clothes. Several of the other military buildings would also have plenty of uniforms.

Don't know why they would only spawn at helicopter crashsites. I mean, did they just decide to take all of their uniforms and carry them around on helicopters for no good reason?

The spawns just need to be toned down. Moving them to only crashsites wouldn't even make any sense.

Wat.

If anything (and I don't agree with this either) it should be military guns that spawn at helicopter crashsites while their uniforms and combat gear spawn in the bases. I mean, the most likely possessions you're going to find in the barracks are... clothes. Several of the other military buildings would also have plenty of uniforms.

Don't know why they would only spawn at helicopter crashsites. I mean, did they just decide to take all of their uniforms and carry them around on helicopters for no good reason?

The spawns just need to be toned down. Moving them to only crashsites wouldn't even make any sense.

there just needs to be more content in general and people won't notice. if there is an abundance of weapons and clothing that are attractive (not worse than military clothing for space necesarily) and other fun stuff that trumps military gear in new and original ways, IE a player crafted air canon/projectile canon that knocks people back or over, rather than just outright killing them. 

clothing-wise i think if there was a trenchcoat with 6 slots nobody would ever wear military gear. 

the problem is that it's quite hard to animate clothing like trenchcoats because they go over multiple layers of your body including a pivot point. 

Edited by Wookieenoob

I discovered that the fireman's jacket has six slots. I'm getting my Channing Tatum fireman stripper on. People don't KOS me as much.

Edited by TheEvanCat

I think it would be best to have to repair the item with rags. Since they are already in the game, you could easily use them as patches for damaged gear to bring them back up to worn.

I actually repair a lot of my waterproof clothing with duct tape (in real life). Doesn't look so great, but when I'm canoeing, who gives a s++t? It's nice we can use Duct Tape to fix matchboxes and other container stuff, but I think it would also work on a lot of other items. Perhaps not as great a fix than when using a sewing kit, but it will hold+repair damage until you find one to properly mend it. It should fix the tents, too. Duct Tape is a bit underrated in the game. I should be able to wrap anything to anything else with it (e.g. put a hunting scope on the CR 527). It would also look more interesting, if we could tape knifes and stuff to our guns. As I understand it, we can already tape magazines together, which is a cool thing, if it makes reloading any faster. I guess you also safe some space (2 slots for a taped mag, instead of 4).

Rags and Duct Tape combined could be a force to be reckoned with!