Max Planck

Player activated environment sounds

Zombies should be able to activate them too. Wire fence clangs and glass crunching is what I see mostly.

Server load permitting, this has to be implemented. Brilliant idea Mr. Planck.

A dream list would involve seasonal variation and a living breathing ecosystem that removed the need for manufactured ambient noises, but I don't think that's happening anytime soon. Larger attention paid to wildlife though would be great. I mean even now I hatchet a cow and the bugger saunters off casually.

Adding in birds that are more than glorified sprites - even a singular generic species - would be great for seeing them react to gunshots and whatnot. Also because they're quite cautious and have that 360 degree vision they would be quite a good indicator of general disturbance. I mean if we're being serious, in a survival situation you'd utilise and rely on the environment as much as your own senses. You'd see a bird fly off and wonder "is that just a coincidence or did they see something?"

A genuine wind system would be great, because it would not only create different noises at different speeds, but also enable swinging, banging doors and gates, and limbs falling off trees as well as dozens of other scenarios. Plus it would at a whole new aspect to shooting people, especially from range.

Crickets, insects and other animals need to at least be heard also. Although mosquitoes are bad enough, we don't need zombie mosquitoes...

I have heaps of other ideas but this is the crux of it. Again Max, great suggestion and I think the atmosphere of DayZ is something that is overlooked too often when considering gameplay improvements.

• Like 1

walking on shattered glass...a huge thing in urban areas! cracking of twigs and birds that give away your location: a big yes please!

This is now a suggestion for the game, not the mod.

Moved.

I didn't know they were random! THANKS FOR RUINING IT!

in all seriousness though, great idea, i'd always assumed i was triggering the birds. 

• Like 1

Love this thread, many great ideas, seasonal, animal sounds, "live" forest with all kinds of animals interacting with players in all kinds of ways.

I imagine a sneaky sniper, perched on top of a hill, scouting, stalking a small village in the valley. He sees a freshspawn running into it. 

Freshspawn Jack is carefully runnning from building to building, silenty taking out them zedz, looting in the process, looking for the sacred can opener) He finished looting this small village, time to move on. He runs out of the village , and follows the road, suddenly he hears a gunshot from the forest, he sees a flock of birds rising from the trees on the hill, time to zigzag towards the closest tree, and hide.

Steady, wait for it. There he goes, he is done looting, and is out on the road again. The crosshairs follow him, adjusting the zeroing, compensating for the wind, and exhale...

Oh NOEZ! Branches braking, grunting, and puffing! Sneaky McSniperson, turns around in panik, its a freaking boar charging! Bam! Missed... Birds fly off, leaving a sorry sight, a guy spilling his guts, in a pool of blood, and a boar striding off victoriously, with his tail held high and proud, since he successfully defended his teretory!

Phew) Meant to write only a few encouraging words, realy loved all the ideas in this post!

• Like 2

HELL YES, a player snapping a branch in the rofest in the middle of the night would be  "le farked up" 

this game is going to give my a heart attack one day.. I have got close before

• Like 2

Think there should be random bird flocks in random trees after each reset and should spawn around course of the game.

Their singing should be indicator to finding them, so people dont trigger them based on roll of the dice.

Also the trees and bushes should make snap and other racket when touched by player, so going through every possible

pinetree is less effective tactic of covering tracks or loosing anyone pursuing and frankly the trees should have shake

effect when players go through it.

Love the idea, I spent the first few hours of SA looking frantically around for people opening gates and walking against fences. 

I also agree they should be based on real events, twigs snapping only in woods / dense bushed area and when a player opens a gate / fence only a small chance at triggering the sound (not all gates/doors make noise when opened but you can never know). 

Edited by Problematic

Fully agree on this thread. Would make everything so much better. Those random sounds are just annoying as hell. I mean, even on empty servers they are there, all over the place! Why?! -.-

Makes sense, but I think there are sounds you can't avoid making while walking through woods.

For instance, if a bird is sitting around in a tree and you come sneaking by under it, it will very likely throw a fit. Same with branches/twigs hidden under leaves, it is simply impossible to be completely silent.

Anyway, the point of it was more to make you jump everytime you heard something, than to give away someone sneaking up on you. As long as the sounds get played randomly as well as on cue, I think it would work.

i agree here. concern would arise where the sound which would normally play randomly was followed up by further sounds that would be indicative of deliberate movement therefore making a natural or "random" sound distinguishable from sound arising from player movement.

yeah i don´t think thees sounds should be random, once i was in the middle of a field and there was a creaking gate sound, it was wired.

Well the map editor for these game engine allows for triggers. Once a player steps in a radius then a sound can be triggered. A scripted event can also be triggered at the same time. You can make these triggers only work for certain players, vehicles, etc. 

This makes the game less static and I used to use it in my missions to make the mission more exciting in Operation Flashpoint. 

If they don't implement this then I would be very sad. 

• Like 1

This would be great. It would also be great to stop hearing noises like reloading when there is no one around.

Fence sounds, and other sounds like it, need to be implemented as a player sound too, not just an ambient sound at random. 

Edited by UnarmedCiv
  • Like 2

Fence sounds, and other sounds like it, need to be implemented as a player sound too, not just an ambient sound at random.

Tired of hearing fence bash sound in middle of the forest.

Twigs, eating, doors, birds, animals, reloading, and everything else should all make sounds and have the potential to alert others and maybe even zombies of your presence/ whereabouts.

We need a zombie 'investigation mode' where they will slowly walk to the place where they heard the sound to investigate, if the zombie sees a player he will go full agro.

• Like 1

Yes. That chain-link fence rattle should happen because a careless character or zombie bumped into a chain-link fence. That would get my attention, right now it's just fluff. 

Edited by McBonkhead
  • Like 2

Hell yes. Things like doors opening, fences rattling from opening or being brushed against, foliage being brushed, an empty can being dropped, the muzzle of your gun clacking against a window frame. All of these things would help a lot and make proximity to players and zombies more tense.

It would be very cool if these sounds were not only based on where you are, but other conditions such as speed. If I run headfirst into a gate, it should make a racket, but if I'm walking past it should be quiet. This would also be good when opening doors. Say, two door speeds. One a slow, stealthy opening that won't alert zombies, and another noise for quickly kicking down or throwing open a door.

My number 1 ultimate request is for doors to make a creaking sound (or any sound) when they open. Big metal warehouse doors should be pretty loud. The little interior doors like in the barracks would be very quiet.

Agreed. This had been a major issue for me for a long time and was always hoping that sound design would get a lot more attention in SA. I agree with with all that has been suggested in this thread. Audio needs to be a major factor in determining if your are alone or not. I would also like see ways of creating sound on purpose, like the option to close a door silently or slam it shut. Raven Shield had a great little mechanic for opening and closing doors with the mouse wheel, could be cool if something like that was implemented and the speed of your scroll being tied to how much sound you make. Some other audio improvements I'd like to see are little things, like moving prone should make far more sound than walking. Moving quickly should generate more sound and trigger more accidental sounds than when walking. This one is prob quite a bit trickier, but would be cool if they player had to be more spatially aware, audio for when material is rubbing up against objects in the world. Have all players start with cords instead of jeans, having to upgrade to less noisy clothing. =)

I could go on, but in short, have the players able to purposely and accidentally create far more sound for others to hear. 

Edited by JubeiDOK

That 3rd video that one guy posted with sounds for hitting fences and garbage cans was brilliant and perfect example/concept of this. 

This is my number one wanted feature, then better/scarier zombies. 

Yep, hoping this will be a dev priority in the future.

• Like 1

Great idea.

Frankly I'd be content with removing the gate creak from the ambient sounds list and just make it so opening gates plays a sound. Opening doors too.

But dynamic ambient sounds that are triggered by the environment would be awesome. Hope it's added.

Proximity sounds are relatively easy to add to games, so I see no reason why they wouldn't add this after a while.

I feel they need to add the player activated sounds.. which I would think they would add these in the future.  especially the doors/gates creaking when being opened, and the same for the sound of a closing door.  Running into objects ingame making noises, besides the bushes.. maybe even the snapping of twigs as you stalk people in the forests, if there are downed trees, tree limbs, etc..Kinda making you have to watch your step somewhat in the wooded areas.  I'd like to think we'll see some of the great ideas posted here in the future.