Max Planck

Player activated environment sounds

this must happen.

• Like 1

I dare say this idea has passed through many survivors minds from time to time and yes it would be super special idea..

I'm thinking the sound of a nest or group of birds being startled and flying off with the rustling of leaves and wings with squeeking alarms from their beaks would be great.. this could start of as a triggered noise/event than perhaps further down the track after a year or 2 it could actually become ingame models of birds flying off into the distance from said triggered location

really good idea I would love this to get sorted out. It does seem quite simple coding wise. Disable all random sounds then only play them when another player is within a set distance.

• Like 1

In fact the proximity sound is already available in the game:

The sound of a creaking, metal-sounding door or gate. It triggers (it becomes available) only when you get close enough to a building/buildings in the country.

In the mod, this sound was already used - I always thought it meant "there are zombies near" - because in the mod, every building in the country had zombs associated with it... so going through the woods or coming through fields and hedges, often even before you saw anything, you heard that metal squeak, and you knew you were approaching a place where there is zombie danger, you need caution ..

Now in SA I realise the sound is associated with buildings, not zombs, because some structures there are no zombs but you hear the sound anyway. However, it is still location specific, and only heard when you are close enough to a type of location.. so the player bubble detection could be used in the same way, the structure of the mechanism already exists I think. In the country if another player is close enough, you may hear a stick break, you may hear a bird call

It's good to see so many people agree with this - and have thought so for a long time.

Beanz Max Planck for first establishing another basic principle.

Let's do it.

xx

they just need to disable the 'self trigger' of the sounds and make it a proximity that other players trigger

I´d love to see (hear) this become real. Especially at night it would be amazing and scaring too - and helpful also. As it is now players are getting more or less dulled of many noises. I remember my first night on DayZ. Holy god, everytime i heard something i tried to hide somewhere and checked the surroundings and waited and waited just to discover i`m alone.

One feature to implemented indeed.

I was thinking about the birds flying, the cities and the randomness... Sounds should be random in the forest (many birds and animals around making noise, rain, even the trees balancing and chocking each others with the wind) and when a player is around too but in fact it is quite easy to sneak on people in the forest because people don't pay attention to those noise unless they are very loud and near from them. For example you walk not far of an animal without knowing, it don't see you as well, but when it sees you, it suddenly run off and make a big noise in the bush. You didn't even saw it but just get scare because of the noise. It's happen couple of time to me while walking alone in the forest making no sound.

The birds should fly when there's a gun shot but they could fly too randomly and they should fly in the cities as well (if you live in a city just look the pigeons, they often fly in group and many times for no obvious reason at all).

This would always leave a doubt whatever you see or ear : Is there somebody ? Do I go investigate ?

Btw if you ear a gunshot and see birds flying away there is no doubt.

Hi,

A very simple idea, when you go through forests, fields or bushes, there could be a chance that you scare some birds, which are then flying up in the air, telling other players, someone is there.

The chance of "scaring the birds" could increase with the running speed or the number of people walking together.

It would be realistic if the chance is really high, when a gun is fired, since that should scare birds away if some are nearby.

This would make it more difficult to hide and add a difficulty to sneaking past other players. Plus this requires new movment tactics near corwded areas like airports or larger cities.

Or this just simply could alarm you that other players are nearby.

EDIT: This should also be affected by other sources such as zombies or animals. (Thanks Sacha)

Here an example (thanks orlok):

Edited by degude
  • Like 5

I thought this was going to be a topic about people spawning as birds and using it to their advantage by telling their friends where people are.

Edited by Plexico
  • Like 2

Sorry for my english, what would be a better name?

cool suggestion that is very much plausible and realistic.

i like it, beans for you  :thumbsup:  :beans:

I've been thinking about this alot. Not just in DayZ, but other games aswell.

Not only does it add to the immersion, but it also adds to stealth gameplay knowing where to step and move to avoid any sound that may reveal you.

I always figured the random noises were just a bug. It makes no sense for me to be hearing random slurping and eating noises when I'm alone in the forest.

I always figured the random noises were just a bug. It makes no sense for me to be hearing random slurping and eating noises when I'm alone in the forest.

They are, but the environment sounds (birds and branches and such) aren't.

It would be nice if those sounds had a purpose too, other than just being random background noise.

• Like 1

[chainlink fence sound]

I used to... But after getting used to it and knowing it's being played at random, not so much. Hence this thread. If I knew there was an ever so slight chance that a noise meant someone was close to me, I'd be just as jumpy as when I first started playing. I would love that.

You only hear the chainlink/gate sound when in the region of habitations, right ?

In the Mod - when there were zombies close to every building, I used to expect zombies were close when I heard that sound.

This worked (I was 90% right)

OK - so in fact it was really me moving into a "habitation region" - but I think this could provide a good solution to the "woods" sounds

If the chainlink/gate sound only plays when I am in a "habitation" region, it means that the region must be defined already

Same for "woodland" region.. there must be a defined "woodland"

So:

The server checks that I am in "woodland" and plays woodland sounds at random.

Suppose the server also checks if another player is in proximity ?

It must already do this because of "the player bubble" mechanism (network bubble)

If player is alone in woodland, then play "woodland sounds a,b,c" at random

If two players are in proximity, in woodland, then play "woodland sounds a,b,c,x,y" at random

sounds x,y are sounds you only hear when another player is around .. and you may not notice them, and if they are random they may not play.. but there is a chance you will hear a rustle or a bird warning cry that must mean another player is close.

So you will have to pay much more attention even to the unsignificant noises you already hear. Yes ?

xx

[if the "sounds" proximity detection is based on the network bubble it can not give a hacker more information than he already has access to, so is not a vulnerability - and using the player bubble also means the processing effort required would be very minimal. I'm open to correction, also... I have an "area of interest" doubt..]

Edited by pilgrim

really good idea I would love this to get sorted out. It does seem quite simple coding wise. Disable all random sounds then only play them when another player is within a set distance.

Birds chirp or fly out of trees without being startled by humans and chain fences and gates rattle and creak in the wind. There are a huge amount of ambient sounds in the real world that are not created by people, so I don't think it's logical to remove them all completely from the game TBH.

• Like 1

totally love this Idea! here is a very good example for the Forrest Sound:

I can remember when i first played the mod I shit my pants as the breaking of branches played.

After a while I had to turn off that creepy background music.

Did someone notice the making of the sound in watchdogs? They recorded the sound of the city in 3D

with a new kind of technic. This would be awesome. Giving a lot to the immersion and realism when you re running in the woods :) 

Hopefully they remake the sound system.

Edited by Krabbe
  • Like 1

the only problem about having player activated sounds in your vicinity is that the server has to inform your PC that another player is close

this is a giveaway for hackers/cheaters- instead of possiby hearing player activated sounds they can monitor this function with a proximity detector.

This is why I suggested using the player bubble for deciding proximity

the bubble is perhaps too large to be used for this

however, sound triggers can maybe be sent on a one-off immediate basis from the server, so a cheat automatic detection would not give warning before the sound event.

The breaking stick sound, for instance SHOULD ONLY be a sign of another player - it is a very distinct sound you can hear in real life forests or woods and it MEANS one thing only. I have a heart attack every time I hear this damned sound.. every time. And no change after a year of hearing it.

• Like 1

The breaking stick sound, for instance SHOULD ONLY be a sign of another player - it is a very distinct sound you can hear in real life forests or woods and it MEANS one thing only. I have a heart attack every time I hear this damned sound.. every time. And no change after a year of hearing it.

I agree.

I stick suddenly breaking in a forest should mean 'oh fuck'.

Birds flying up and shrieking would mean 'uh-oh'. 'Someone could be here'.

• Like 1

I love the idea -- I'd also like to see silence as an option in the woods.  For example, if I go sprinting through the woods and someone comes through the same area a few minutes later, the animals there should be quiet (perhaps for some moderate and random time period) - the same could be done for gunshots.  When I go out in the woods it's just as strange to hear nothing as it is to hear a stick snap. 

Right now I get a lot of glitches of zombie sounds when there are none anywhere near me... it's always great when I'm bandaging myself from a particularly brutal zombie attack and I hear a loud BLARGH next to me, only to discover that it was just a glitch :(

awesome idea and awesome thread so far.

also running shall have severe impact on the sound you make for example in a forest.

• Like 1