Max Planck

Player activated environment sounds

My idea is different than the OP but did not wanna start a new thread.

The sounds needs an overhaul and I am not speaking about weapons.Back in past I complained on A2 forums that the dam birds were so dam loud it was like being in a bird sanctuary with them 5ft from your head and that foot sounds when crouched were way tool loud.In dayz this issue still persists and since I never got anyone backing with me in past,I hope its not the same way for this mod.Here is why they should lower birds,footsteps and also wind.

By lowering bird volume you make the forest seem larger since it sounds like they are up in the canopy and not by your head.That is just one reason but the real reasons are that it ruins your chances to really study your surrounding to survive better.When your sneaking around you should be listening for infected sounds and other footsteps but instead you hear this loud cacophony of birds,wind sound that is louder than the trees and shrubs suggest and finally foot sounds that are so annoying and mask the real sounds your trying to listen for. The crouch sounds are the same volume as the standing sound and if they ever get rid of the hud you will never know that your more silent when crouching.

I agree that some sounds could do with a tweak, others are already playing at varying soundlevels/distances from the player. The footstep sounds you are right about, we seems to be wearing metal boots. Still, it is good that we are able to hear someone who isn't trying hard to be sneaky.

A thing I've been wondering about, are sounds specific to an individual? If you and I are hanging out in the forest and I hear a squeaking gate (?), do you hear it as well?

I think squeaking gates are in the music and so if you turn music down you stop hearing them.

I think squeaking gates are in the music and so if you turn music down you stop hearing them.

Nah, I have the music turned way down but I still hear loud gate squeaks.

Nah, I have the music turned way down but I still hear loud gate squeaks.

Yep, music makes no difference with these "ambient" sounds.

Any non-solo players who can shed some light on whether sounds are specific to the individual player, or if two characters can hear the same bird/gate squeak?

My number 1 ultimate request is for doors to make a creaking sound (or any sound) when they open. Big metal warehouse doors should be pretty loud. The little interior doors like in the barracks would be very quiet.

My number 1 ultimate request is for doors to make a creaking sound (or any sound) when they open. Big metal warehouse doors should be pretty loud. The little interior doors like in the barracks would be very quiet.

True. The big ass gates are completely silent, but the sound that fits them is played at random, even in the woods.

True. The big ass gates are completely silent, but the sound that fits them is played at random, even in the woods.

Yeah that bugs me.

I agree with the player sound effects. But I also think that animals should make them too, like a pig walking through the forest sometimes triggers the sticks creaking.

I agree with the player sound effects. But I also think that animals should make them too, like a pig walking through the forest sometimes triggers the sticks creaking.

That would be great, especially now that they are running around more.

Would be nice to get freaked out by breaking twigs, only to have a fat little piggy walk out in front of you.

Supporting this one!

Thanks.

I would really like to see some attention go towards the audio side of things in the future, it has a very significant impact on the experience in my opinion.

• Like 1

Thanks.

I would really like to see some attention go towards the audio side of things in the future, it has a very significant impact on the experience in my opinion.

Oh god it does. Just got new headphones and was really looking forward to freaking the eff out in Day Z. Didn't really happen. The only thing mildly scary is that first aggressive zombie noise. Then you're fine and nothing else really scares you.

Anyway, I'm all for this. It would add another layer of immersion I think. Sound is not horrible by any stretch of the imagination but it could definitely use some attention.

Nice idea, like it alot.

I don't think this has been metioned, what if the 'chance' of scaring a bird or snapping a twig was also effected by your stance/speed (walking, running, crawling etc.) as well as the surface you are walking on?

This way it gives the players some control.

Edited by Hoik

I think the one thing missing is howling wind,especially at night or during a storm.

IMO it gives the sense of being alone,and during a storm,cold. Then you could add slamming doors and windows to interiors if possible.

It would add to the suspense aswell when your running cross country at night,not able to see much wit the rain and your hearing significantly effected,not knowing if your about to run across a group of people or a horde of zombies

• Like 3

I love this idea mate :)

Thanks.

This was totally not a bump.

• Like 2

OWLS for god's sake! Swamp at night, whhhoo OWLS! Fog at nIght,,,whaaam OWLS! i think you got me!

also

jackdaw, creepy little brother of the crow and bad ass noise-maker!

also cuckoos!

I'm sorry Dr. Planck...these are not really a valid addition to your suggestion, but i want them!

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

I really hope the sound side of things will get an overhaul in the SA, but I'm afraid it's not high on the list of priorities.

Has anyone seen Rocket make any noise on the subject?

• Like 1

If you listen carefully you already hear players when they run around carelessly in the woods ( twigs breaking ). That's how a player met his misery when he ran 10m past me and i heard it cracking where he was running then took aim...

Sounds of doors opening etc. would be really great though.

breaking twigs are absolutely random, so it would be nice to add some generic props (old rotten trees, thorn bushes like raspberries, etc.) which will, at all events, give away a person hitting/touching it. They make louder sound and these are avoidable. So you have somewhat a chance to make as little noise as possible.

breaking twigs are absolutely random, so it would be nice to add some generic props (old rotten trees, thorn bushes like raspberries, etc.) which will, at all events, give away a person hitting/touching it. They make louder sound and these are avoidable. So you have somewhat a chance to make as little noise as possible.

Quite not completely random, if you run you hear them pretty clear, if you walk slow you just hear the footsteps on whatever ground they are stepping on.

Makes sense, but I think there are sounds you can't avoid making while walking through woods.

For instance, if a bird is sitting around in a tree and you come sneaking by under it, it will very likely throw a fit. Same with branches/twigs hidden under leaves, it is simply impossible to be completely silent.

Anyway, the point of it was more to make you jump everytime you heard something, than to give away someone sneaking up on you. As long as the sounds get played randomly as well as on cue, I think it would work.

I don't think including scares just for the sake of scaring people and making them nervous goes well with the spirit of the simulator.I wouldn't mind having only natural reasons. like a gunshot or a player or a predator walking underneath a tree, scaring a bird. Make some birds let out a cry if they see you come too close.

I'd rather get rid of all the ambient random sounds like snapping twigs, except maybe the wind blowing through woods or buildings, altogether. A gate shouldn't creak unless it was opened either by a player, animal, zombie or wind.

What I'd also like to ask the op is, why would it be a bad thing for players to always be able to tell by surrounding sounds whether something is amiss near them. That's how it would work in real life.

Edited by TheSodesa