gibonez

Lets talk about 22. lr

Look at that tiny little bullet all the way on the left. Ewww, gross.

I doubt that little thing would even shave the hair off my head if it hit me right between the eyes.

Seriously, it's a cheap little bullet and right now we need something cool and amazing instead to attract customers to buy DayZ while it's in alpha development.

I can tell you've never used a .22 or hit anything with .22 lr hp. Trust me when I tell you, you do not want to get hit with one. I still got a chunk missing out of my thigh from years ago when I got hit by a ricochet from one. A ricochete, not even a straight shot did serious damage to my thigh.

• Like 2

There's a pistol like this in Fallout New Vegas and it's terrible. I would never use it.

They should add better weapons first. There aren't even any shotguns or non-military handguns yet. Let's wait before adding exotic weird guns to fill out the inventory.

If your knowledge of firearms is limited to what you've seen while playing F:NV, then maybe you'd better just lurk for a while instead.

So you just accuse people of trolling when you have no response I guess.

No it's just obvious that you have no real experience with fire arms, so you're just here to cause a shit storm like you always do

If you ever had a chance to fire the Ruger pistol in real life, you'd realize just how much of a piece of garbage it is. Lacking any serious firepower aside, the biggest issue is persistent jamming rendering it unreliable. 

Glock all the way.

Thats the ammo. 22 lr weapons are very very picky about their ammo.

• Like 1

A lot of people's firearm knowledge is based only on what they play in games and see on TV...

22LR is a capable round if you can actually hit what you're aiming at. Plenty of people have been killed with that round in the real world.

I own more 22 weapons than anything else, actually.

• Like 1

if you guys want big bullets and military weapons go play CoD. I like the .22 idea. this game isn't supposed to be easy and all you guys saying we need to attract players to Dayz with big flashy guns are idiots. the harder it is to survive the better this game will be. Weed out the weak. if you don't like it don't play

• Like 2

Hello there

Can we get back on topic (from ozelot bashing) and can anyone answer my earlier queries?

Rgds

LoK

Edited by orlok
  • Like 1

Hello there

Are we basing this knowledge on the US market?

Eastern Block Countries often used unusual calibre rounds, I just wonder if the .22 would be a prevalent round in that style of rural area or whether it would be something different?

Rgds

LoK

Well chenarus is the Czech republic correct ?

Cz firearms has a ton of 22 lr rifles and pistols so it would be hard to imagine the round not being popular there.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-category/rimfire-rifles/

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-category/rimfire-handguns/

7259b0d7c8e99bf145c1e5e01e6ed0f0.png

Looks like CZ makes some really nice rimfire weapons.

• Like 7

I would love to see more common place weaponry over the military grade weapons...

Who would use such a puny weapon?

you would be a moron to not take a 22. in a zombie apoc. the vast amount of ammunition for them makes them the best choice and most "realistic" guns to find as much ammo for as we currently are for the M4

Who would use such a puny weapon?

maybe you should read how the vietcongs used the .22 in the war, they were pretty smart

Edited by reapers239

Here is a fun fact for you all here: 

Urban snipers in Chechnya used the .22 round against the Russians in places like Grozny. The snipers would make silencers out of plastic bottles (Why is this not in DayZ by the way?) and effectively take out targets closer than 100 meters. Now this may not sound like much but it is a very effective urban sniper caliber. It is quiet (even more quiet with a silencer) and readily available all over the world. People use it for hunting small game and the like. Some Russians even use it when fishing for large Pike (fish). 

The .22 round was SO effective in chechnya that the Russians decided to come up with their own sniper rifle using the .22. Here it is: 

sv99-l.jpg

"The SV-99 is aspecial purpose police sniper rifle for short-range (up to about 100 meters)encounters. It is intended for actions like the taking of the lights, theguarding dogs, or precision and silent anti-personnel work. The .22LR cartridgeoffers low noise, low probability of ricochets, and good lethality - of cause,when fired into the lethal area of the body."

"Calibers: .22LR (5.6mm rimfire)

Operation: straight pull bolt action
Barrel: 350 mm
Weight: 3.75 kg empty, w/o scope
Length: 1000 mm
Feed Mechanism: 5 or 10 round detachable box magazine"

• Like 5

In Germany and eastern countries you wont find that many .22

Rifles with 6.5 is WAY more common here.

My father is a hunter and through him I learned alot about hunting weaponry and accessories.

Although I would like to see .22s ingame.

• Like 2

In Germany and eastern countries you wont find that many .22

Rifles with 6.5 is WAY more common here.

My father is a hunter and through him I learned alot about hunting weaponry and accessories.

Although I would like to see .22s ingame.

Hello there

This is what I was after, a report from an actual user near (ish) to the locale.

Let the debate begin...

Rgds

LoK

If we're aiming for realism, no resident is going to have a silencer for a .22 caliber rifle, an auto feed, bipods, or tactical lights. In most civilized nations, merely possessing a silencer is a federal offense.

If we wanna get even more real, we can glance over the guns laws in eastern block countries and see exactly what residents are allowed to own (if anything at all). 

If we're aiming for realism, no resident is going to have a silencer for a .22 caliber rifle, an auto feed, bipods, or tactical lights. In most civilized nations, merely possessing a silencer is a federal offense.

If we wanna get even more real, we can glance over the guns laws in eastern block countries and see exactly what residents are allowed to own (if anything at all). 

Serbia has the second-highest number of guns per capita in the world (after the US). Finland and Switzerland are also high up there.

Must haz

Here is a fun fact for you all here: 

Urban snipers in Chechnya used the .22 round against the Russians in places like Grozny. The snipers would make silencers out of plastic bottles (Why is this not in DayZ by the way?) and effectively take out targets closer than 100 meters. Now this may not sound like much but it is a very effective urban sniper caliber. It is quiet (even more quiet with a silencer) and readily available all over the world. People use it for hunting small game and the like. Some Russians even use it when fishing for large Pike (fish). 

The .22 round was SO effective in chechnya that the Russians decided to come up with their own sniper rifle using the .22. Here it is: 

sv99-l.jpg

"The SV-99 is aspecial purpose police sniper rifle for short-range (up to about 100 meters)encounters. It is intended for actions like the taking of the lights, theguarding dogs, or precision and silent anti-personnel work. The .22LR cartridgeoffers low noise, low probability of ricochets, and good lethality - of cause,when fired into the lethal area of the body."

"Calibers: .22LR (5.6mm rimfire)

Operation: straight pull bolt action

Barrel: 350 mm

Weight: 3.75 kg empty, w/o scope

Length: 1000 mm

Feed Mechanism: 5 or 10 round detachable box magazine"

Lots of militaries use silenced 22 lrs.

Israel uses the ruger 1022 with a silencer and optics in combat.

8.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

1022-1.jpg

• Like 2

50 yards there is rougly 1 MOA for 22lr. 100 yards 1.5-2 MOA etc etc So yeah, sniping with this gun would be VERY challenging/fun :D

MOA = measure of angle (how much you need to adjust your scope, or your iron sights to hit the target etc)

Edited by BigCountry

Also every 100 yards there is rougly 6" MOA for 22lr. So yeah, sniping with this gun would be VERY challenging/fun :D

What are you talking about 22lr is insanely accurate.

Heck most competition guns are 22lr for a reason.

the-evil-thumbhole-943.jpg

Most 22 lr rifles are built for accuracy and come out fitted with bull barrels this is due to how popular they for plinking and target shooting.

• Like 2

Look at that tiny little bullet all the way on the left. Ewww, gross.

I doubt that little thing would even shave the hair off my head if it hit me right between the eyes.

Seriously, it's a cheap little bullet and right now we need something cool and amazing instead to attract customers to buy DayZ while it's in alpha development.

I suppose I'll take the bait. First, your distain for .22 marks you as one who has never been shot at, and very likely never employed a firearm. Do try to learn from those who have experience; it doesn't hurt and it might just help.

.22lr almost killed Ronald Reagan, and it left James Brady permanently paralyzed. .22lr properly employed has been taking deer for well over a century, and continues to do so in the Southern US in spite of laws against .22 for hunting large game. Unless you are more bulletproof than a deer .22 will kill you.

I have a box of Aguila SSS subsonic sitting next to me. It's a 60gr projectile that travels ~850 fps. That's bigger than M193 ball ammo at 55 gr, and it's deadly quiet out of a YHM 30 cal suppressor. You will not find it, but it will find you.

CCI Velocitor runs 40gr @ 1430 fps. Here's what it looks like through ballistic medium. Imagine this running through your thigh. If your opponent is running a Ruger with BX-25 magazines, this bullet will be bringing 24 friends to the party in your pants. Fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEDo_PbAvJc

Anyhow, whenever anyone smirks at .22 long rifle, I invite them to take the ".22lr Tough Guy Challenge". Pick any part of your tough-guy anatomy that you aren't using (brain, penis, big toe) and we'll test out your theory. PM me for details.

• Like 1

Lots of militaries use silenced 22 lrs.

Israel uses the ruger 1022 with a silencer and optics in combat.

Not to mention, the Beretta Model 70 followed by the Model 71 have been Mossad standard Issue pistols for many years....

I believe they were for a while standard issue for the Israeli Sky Marshals aswell for a time....