lev

Third person view removal from SA discussion

i understand your point we all have it so whats the big deal ? Well the deal mostly is if your play style is camping in un seeable locations you can watch for those exploring actually looting and not be seen yourself. That then makes it easy for the camping bandit to dispatch his victim so it leads to a camping style not such a big deal unless well everyone gets sick of being 3rd person camper killed and well turns around and does it themselves lol.

Imagine the excitment of a server of 40 people (or more when larger ones come) all hiding in 1 spot waiting for people who will never come cause there all doing the same thing. In first person you can still hide and stalk players but they will have the chance of spotting you to were as as it stands now they dont and people exploit the mechanic it kinda splits the community into those looking for loot trying to survive and those waiting for the loot to come to them while being hidden completely due to game mechanics.

That I understand, but I would still like to be able to see myself. Perhaps they could fix 3rd person so its not completely unrealistic? Say fixing it so you can see what first person sees and yourself and just barely to the sides of you, enough where you see yourself, but not around corners and up stairs?

• Like 1

I tried the 1st only servers and I didn't like it at first and i must have hit the 3rd person button about 50 times in 20 minutes, but it is definitely growing on me, i like knowing that if someone can see me, i can see him. It sort of feels right after awhile.

A little tip, if you miss seeing your avatar to see how the clothing really looks, it helps to go into weapon-up mode and look down.

Edited by Thane
  • Like 4

Separate hives for 1st and 3rd person servers. Make it an option that can be easily searched for in the server list. Personally I prefer first person, but as it stands now you are at a sever disadvantage if you do not use third person.

Oh and third person gives the advantage to everyone yes, but it also removes a good chunk of the suspense and unknown from the game. You easily gain intelligence without having to risk something to gain it.

Same hives... just different server settings... so Veteran servers for 1st person only, noobie and regular servers allow 3rd person... otherwise let it be the same hive and give private hives the option to choose.

Same hives... just different server settings... so Veteran servers for 1st person only, noobie and regular servers allow 3rd person... otherwise let it be the same hive and give private hives the option to choose.

This bugs me.

Veteran server setting mode in arma2 and therefore DayZ has 3rd enabled by default, only Mercenary and Elite mode has 3rd disabled by default.

So saying veteran mode for 1st person servers is incorrect.

Personally I find 3rd person more enjoyable.. it makes moving and searching more aesthetically pleasing.. obviously I aim down scope for pvp but 3rd person is overall much better. 1st person just feels clunky and half the time in the SA I get my player model glitching onto the screen and blocking my view in 1st person.. :S

I'm a photographer. It clearly has nothing to do with focus. That is entirely separate from what it actually is: ZOOM. You literally need some sort of superpower/bionic eye to be able to zoom in like that. 

Want to know why the mechanic isn't simulating "focusing in with your eyes n a particular area"? Because there is a zoom out feature too. You can do this in both first and third person. Zooming in narrows your FOV. Zooming out expands it. It is literally just as much as a crutch as third person (minus the seeing through wall glitches). 

Plus, if we are getting rid of third person then we might as well look at other "exploits" that make it easier for people to have an advantage on you right? 

lol

Remove zoom then. If that stops the bitching about disabled 3rd person I'd gladly take it.

Personally I find 3rd person more enjoyable.. it makes moving and searching more aesthetically pleasing.. obviously I aim down scope for pvp but 3rd person is overall much better. 1st person just feels clunky and half the time in the SA I get my player model glitching onto the screen and blocking my view in 1st person.. :S

I think 3rd person servers should have 1st person view locked out.

Can't wait for the separate hives though - best of both worlds then.

Edited by DemonGroover
  • Like 1

This is the best idea, people can have a character on each hive then and play both view types. I'm trying to get used to FPV only servers at present, but still won't want to lose TPV ones so two hives I think is the best way.

Why? I enjoy both perspectives. When I'm idleing I like to be in 3rd person. When I need to focus, im going to first. I love switching around perspectives. Gives me more of the game. Hey, at least there is an option to see the game from two perspectives - wich doubles fun. One perspective alone is rather boring and less appealing. I enjoy the free look, I'm even missing it on other games. Edited by Ken Bean

It sure would be fun to see how well TPV lovers would fare without 1st person.

Why? I enjoy both perspectives. When I'm idleing I like to be in 3rd person. When I need to focus, im going to first. I love switching around perspectives. Gives me more of the game. Hey, at least there is an option to see the game from two perspectives wich doubles fun.

From all TPV lovers argueing here, you are by far the most retarded.

Please play battlefield you pvp <snip> guy.

Its an awesome game by the way. And has no 3rd person for soldiers. You should be happy, since 3 billion games like this, having no 3rd person, already exist.

So yeah, just be a happy <snip> guy and play on 1st person server or play a game like battlefield.

In case this is too complicated for you, there also is an option to not to think too hard about and just leave it be.

edit

cleaned some bad language, did it not for you, tommes

Edited by Ken Bean

This bugs me.

Veteran server setting mode in arma2 and therefore DayZ has 3rd enabled by default, only Mercenary and Elite mode has 3rd disabled by default.

So saying veteran mode for 1st person servers is incorrect.

We are dealing with the development of a new game based on the same engine, not a mod any more.

So saying 1st person only on veteran servers with private hives having the option to choose is perfectly valid.

Please play battlefield you pvp <snip> guy.

Its an awesome game by the way. And has no 3rd person for soldiers. You should be happy, since 3 billion games like this, having no 3rd person, already exist.

So yeah, just be a happy <snip> guy and play on 1st person server or play a game like battlefield.

In case this is too complicated for you, there also is an option to not to think too hard about and just leave it be.

edit

cleaned some bad language, did it not for you, tommes

Please stop with the personal insults.

This issue is important, yes, but not worth the namecalling.

Please keep your sights firmly on the topic now and leave the personal remarks out, this goes for everyone.

We are better than this.

EDIT: Your edit came in too late, Ken Bean.

Edited by Max Planck

i didn't liked 1st person in the mod, love it now (adjusting FOV and headbob and the much improved textures on the characters and weapons did it for me).. but i use 3rd person from time to time to get a litte variety, to look around the nature and such things. so i do understand why people maybe like playing in 3rd person more than in 1st person.

as others mentioned before liking a certain perspective more can't be an arguement against the other one nor for unfair advantages over other players (even if all would be playing in 3rd person.. the guy standing near the wall looking over it still has an advantage over the guy further away).

so it really needs improvement and i personally think that there is absolutly no valid argument to leave it as it is now or simply seperate hives.

Actually i wouldn't care if they'd remove 3rd person and i do believe that leaving this option ingame was a big mistake BUT the more zoomed in view and lower angle solution would do the job. this would lead to: people can enjoy 3rd person if they want to, nobody has an unfair advantage (AND nobody can bitch about it anymore) plus i believe more and more people would start playing 1st person with this advantage removed from the game

Edited by flexAUT
  • Like 1

Just my objective two sense, Leave it alone. It works, and ive been in quite a few First Person only servers and it isn't a biggy. I personally like having the choice of third person no matter how much i do or do not use it. it allows for more immersion in certain instances, This will go for many other individuals as well, theres someting about a third person/first person-toggle game that appeals to people, so even from a businees standpoint leaving in this function = broadening the target audience.

As for realism well come on you can't get it perfect I should be able to peek my little eye arond a corner or raise just a smiggen up over a window sill not arrising any suspicion but no, i have to full on lean my shoulder and head around a corner, and stand to see out of a window showing myself. Third person can come in handy for this. A Third person perspective isn't unreal if you relinquish your bias, I'm pretty sure  that when one looks around in real life their perception is beyond 360 degree awarness due to eyeball mechanics, neck dexterity and other senses, hearing, smell, Sonar etc. First person cannot capture this, but Third person camera very roughly emulates those mechanics to some degree. So if we have servers for the those firmly set in there ways, and a demand for thirdperson then lets move on down the road..... there might be some food up in that farmhouse.

liking a certain perspective more can't be an arguement against the other one

Is this how 1st person lover ended up playing on 3rd person server in the mod? Yet making dozens of topics demanding 3rd person to be removed?

Well thinking about it, I believe I just stick with the habbit to prefer things I like over things I do not like. This for some reason played out well. :-)

Excuse me if my programming knowledge is limited, and if i get anything wrong.

But isn't the main complaint with 3rd person the fact that people can camp around corners or, in general, use it to get a visual advantage over other players who use 1st person?

If that is the case, wouldn't it be possible to make a script that draws a LoS (Line of Sight) from your character to the models of anything else non-aesthetic in game? (I.E. Wild game, Zeds, and other players.)

If this function determines there to be an obstruction in between you and them, then the player model would be made invisible.

I am sure there is something out there... let me find it quick.

Excuse me if my programming knowledge is limited, and if i get anything wrong.

But isn't the main complaint with 3rd person the fact that people can camp around corners or, in general, use it to get a visual advantage over other players who use 1st person?

If that is the case, wouldn't it be possible to make a script that draws a LoS (Line of Sight) from your character to the models of anything else non-aesthetic in game? (I.E. Wild game, Zeds, and other players.)

If this function determines there to be an obstruction in between you and them, then the player model would be made invisible.

I am sure there is something out there... let me find it quick.

Yes it's possible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0fWg1UkGP8#t=852

In this thread

"People should have to play the way I want because if its fun for me its fun for everyone! they just dont understand"

• Like 1

That I understand, but I would still like to be able to see myself. Perhaps they could fix 3rd person so its not completely unrealistic? Say fixing it so you can see what first person sees and yourself and just barely to the sides of you, enough where you see yourself, but not around corners and up stairs?

i have suggested locking third person in just the way you describe and it seems your one of the few 3rd person players actually open to it.

Again im not against 3rd person if you prefer to play that way (for perfomance issues for visuals you prefer what ever) im all for 3rd person view if it is locked to character head so you cant look down 45 degrees and shoot ya camera 10 foot in the air.

There should just be an option to have one or the other for a server not both.

If you want third person then sure your camera is locked in third person at all times, if you want fpv then you only get fpv not both.

What's the word on first person servers, you getting good turn out?

I don't get why first person players continue to try to dictate, what third person servers should do and not do. Now that you've got your own servers, it's really none of your business anymore.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 1

What's the word on first person servers, you getting good turn out?

I don't get why first person players continue to try to dictate, what third person servers should do and not do. Now that you've got your own servers, it's really none of your business anymore.

There going to be dead in a few weeks to a month so the first person players that are left like 20-30 of em if that think that if they somehow rally and get 3rd person removed(ha good luck) that everyone would stick around and play on there first person only servers.

• Like 1

Listen, you guys, until DayZ has significantly improved sound immersion, smell-o-vision and an electro-nerve-stimulaTOR how can you not think 3rd person is viable alternative? When someone opens a door and I am inside a house I can often feel the difference in pressure, possibly feel a draft, hear the door open. You get absolutely SQUAT in 1st person when it comes to natural human senses. Touch, smell, (hearing as the sound engine in all BI games are atrocious)

3rd person is just a gamey way of accounting for all those natural and very strong human senses that are lost to 1s and 0s.

If someone can tell me a way to account for those senses other than lame text indicators "You smell a strong scent of B.O." or 3rd person. Please, tell me, or more importantly, the Devs!

Edited by VictorM