Blade4777980

Is it worth buying Dayz standalone yet? [With Developer responses]

My opinion

For the current game? No

For the price? No (it will stay this price for some time)

To see the game? No (you can watch streams)

To participate in development? Possibly

Overall, I would not recommend it. But I think in a few weeks, it might go from "possible" to "yes" on the last one.

That's honest, but sounds a bit disgruntled. Beans for honesty! The CLE is working great and makes it a lot of fun to play, already. Despite the missing features (most notably: infected), I get the fucking kicks out of stealing somebody's truck, sneaking up on a fireplace at night, or going through town or military bases. The encounters are still what makes the game great - even without infected. I'm just missing a bit more common sense from the players. It's not necessary to shoot at everything that moves...

I was really sceptical for a long time, because I enjoyed the mod(s) so much and they felt more complete and still do to some point. But the mods are pretty different from the SA now. All I was doing there was getting a tent, car, chopper, looting bases and collecting weapons. It was really amazing and I've had great company and lots of fun playing, but it still felt more like a videogame. In the standalone, I sometimes just take a walk without destination to see what happens on the way. It's a "the way is the goal" kind of game for me. I also like most of the map, though I feel a few more unique locations/challenges should be added. But that might be happening in the future. Prison island is a start, however I'd really like a bridge going over there.

I see it like this: "Stalker" was released on an imperfect engine and had lots of flaws and content taken out, just to make the game run. It's had serious problems in some parts, but would I rather have not played it? NO! I can deal with a few bugs and problems. Game development is a bitch and players will have to adapt a little and not always demand perfection. Even developments from EA and other studios are riddled with bugs on their first release - and they aren't exactly creating novelty and creative titles, for the most part. I'd rather have a Dayz that has a few problems than to have no Dayz at all.

-> Edit: okay, I didn't see that post from Rocket was ages old. I somehow landed on the first page. However, I mean what I said.

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

I have a few hours in-game now and find the development cycle to be refreshing and engaging as things progress with each subsequent build.  I also follow the devs. wip comments and have a good idea what the development team is working to deliver.  Ymmv, but I've had a lot of fun, spent a ton of time and can take a break then come back to something fresh.  There are many details and things to do that are not widely known, each time I play. I find or figure out something new...

Watch this first

,  it's last week update on where the game is going and in what time. I'll say wait December for server exe if you are a casual player and not sure yet. Then the game will be finished sometime next year.

Is it worth buying Dayz standalone yet ..//..

I bought it years ago

If you want to know about yet you have to ask the yeti

Edited by pilgrim

-> Edit: okay, I didn't see that post from Rocket was ages old. I somehow landed on the first page. However, I mean what I said.

He hasn't been on the forums since early 2014. I wish he'd dump a message or jab every now and then to show some interest, but apparently he's not interested in showing the community that he still gives a shit.

Edited by Greaves
  • Like 1

Does anyone still actually play Dayz anymore?

Still in alpha? LOL

Doesn't surprise me really, ARMA3 was released too soon and is still as glitchy as F**k.

Will not recommend that anyone buy this game - when it is eventually through the development stage and released officially it will be waaaaay past it's sell by date.

I've played since the alpha release.  The game in its present state is the worst ever. People so bored they don't even talk, just put their fists up ready for a fight or shoot you dead. Go to the top of a building in a populated area, wait a while, then get shot by a sniper.  

Hardly any loot after the last patch. No zombies after last patch...(who cares about that one these dayz, I hardly noticed)....

This will be the last time I log into Dayz for a long time.

Oh and I forgot to mention constant character resets, which are really bad at present.  I'm not one of these people who gets 'attached' to items, or loves hoarding. But when you spend an evening finding some good items, I found two submachine guns a week ago etc etc. Then logged on tonight, you guessed it character wipe.  I am so over this game, it will be forever in alpha, and the community is the worst and smallest it has ever been, don't waste any money on this game. :(

I've played since the alpha release.  The game in its present state is the worst ever. People so bored they don't even talk, just put their fists up ready for a fight or shoot you dead. Go to the top of a building in a populated area, wait a while, then get shot by a sniper.  

Hardly any loot after the last patch. No zombies after last patch...(who cares about that one these dayz, I hardly noticed)....

This will be the last time I log into Dayz for a long time.

Oh and I forgot to mention constant character resets, which are really bad at present.  I'm not one of these people who gets 'attached' to items, or loves hoarding. But when you spend an evening finding some good items, I found two submachine guns a week ago etc etc. Then logged on tonight, you guessed it character wipe.  I am so over this game, it will be forever in alpha, and the community is the worst and smallest it has ever been, don't waste any money on this game. :(

inb4 rabid fabois

but in a year's competition will have one functioning 

I was afraid of this in the beginning but nobody seems to get it..

I've just given up on DayZ SA. I feel like they could have done better with an Arma3 mod; it honestly feels like it hasn't progressed much further than that despite my faith in ongoing development and "the plan". They have my alpha bucks and it's 2016 in 3 months.

I mean it was an enjoyable *idea* but I had as much or more fun with it as soon as it released in Alpha than I do now, even when my character would take 3 seconds to decide to vault a small fence.

Never mind.

To put things in context:

-DayZ was a front runner of the zombie survival genre when it entered development/early access.

-It's close to two years later, and there have not been substantial improvements. Yes, there is plenty of different types of loot and buggy vehicles, but the fact remains that core game mechanics are probably worse than they intially were.

-The zombie survival genre has opened up in the past 2 years, and games like H1Z1 have completely eclipsed and overshadowed DayZ.

-The devs are completely delusional. They still think that the Beta will be ready this year (I remember when there similar talk this time last year.)

-Instead of fixing the core mechanics of the game, such as the insane D-synch and glitchy collisions, the devs focus on releasing endless streams of broken/semi-functional content, and filling the rest of the updates with tons of clothes/weapons which add nothing to gameplay except throw the already poor loot mechanic system out of balance.

-The game in its current state is like the devs are actually trying to make optimisation worse. It was never good in the first place, but now it's pretty much unplayable.​

I was really hopeful for this game, but over the last 9 months I've totally lost faith in it, and I expect to see the plug-pulled within the next 6 months to a year. Do. Not. Buy.

Edited by GeorgieBest

To put things in context:

-DayZ was a front runner of the zombie survival genre when it entered development/early access.

-It's close to two years later, and there have not been substantial improvements. Yes, there is plenty of different types of loot and buggy vehicles, but the fact remains that core game mechanics are probably worse than they intially were.

-The zombie survival genre has opened up in the past 2 years, and games like H1Z1 have completely eclipsed and overshadowed DayZ.

-The devs are completely delusional. They still think that the Beta will be ready this year (I remember when there similar talk this time last year.)

-Instead of fixing the core mechanics of the game, such as the insane D-synch and glitchy collisions, the devs focus on releasing endless streams of broken/semi-functional content, and filling the rest of the updates with tons of clothes/weapons which add nothing to gameplay except throw the already poor loot mechanic system out of balance.

-The game in its current state is like the devs are actually trying to make optimisation worse. It was never good in the first place, but now it's pretty much unplayable.​

I was really hopeful for this game, but over the last 9 months I've totally lost faith in it, and I expect to see the plug-pulled within the next 6 months to a year. Do. Not. Buy.

How should they fix the core mechanics, if the New tech is NOT implemented yet? That's not working.

Be Patient, I think the devs know what they do :-)

Edited by xCAPx

Logged in again after a month. Laggy as Alzheimer patient's brain.

Can devs please revert the game version to the one used at public release? That was much better.

Edited by Calvin Candie

seeing these posts from 2013 is hilarious. 

I wonder if any of these people's opinions have changed since the game hasn't really changed and now it's almost 3 years later.

Well, if you've come here to troll the Forums I have a solution for that.

Technically yes he is trolling the forum but after all he is a paying customer right? An unhappy customer because of the product he received and the promises and the roadmap (still there?) or the timeline the company stated where the game is going to be at. Understandable deadline will missed but we are talking consistent missed dateline and the updates they releasing are more like carrot dangling.

So the question is how long is too long? failed to provide the final product after XX time, massive schedule delayed, can we have our money back? class action? 

agreed with someone mentioned who is the real life Dayz bandit

Edited by thewire

So the question is how long is too long?

How long is a piece of string (or wire for that matter).

Before purchasing...

WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND POSSIBLE INTERRUPTIONS OF GAME FUNCTIONING.

The Forums are independent, we have rules.

This is the way of things. 

How long is a piece of string (or wire for that matter).

Before purchasing...

WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND POSSIBLE INTERRUPTIONS OF GAME FUNCTIONING.

The Forums are independent, we have rules.

This is the way of things. 

I am completely agreed with you on the alpha/beta etc...but having that disclaimer in their game does it give them or free them from responsibility if they choose not to delivered and just dragged on the alpha/beta forever?? 

• Like 1

seeing these posts from 2013 is hilarious. 

I wonder if any of these people's opinions have changed since the game hasn't really changed and now it's almost 3 years later.

Except Last two weeks of December 2013 to First week in October 2015 is nowhere near three years. And the game has evolved quite significantly.

Development on games generally takes 3 years minimum, considering the few issues and then the huge E3 boost and extra budget they got this year will more likely stretch it out more than that. Progress from our perspective seems a lot slower than it probably is - watched kettle and all that.

if they choose not to delivered and just dragged on the alpha/beta forever?? 

Much to your advantag / disadvantage - depending on your POV, it won't be dragged on forever. Developers are resources of an IT business and can and will be used elsewhere. So the core will be worked out, but additions to the game which have not been announced will likely be scrapped / not developed, since the devs are a resource better used on a new project than on a project, which has sold 85%-90% of the copies it will ever sell. Just regular company thinking and a drawback of ANY early access game, no matter the company. So you will see an end of Alpha / Beta in time, no worries about that B)

Much to your advantag / disadvantage - depending on your POV, it won't be dragged on forever. Developers are resources of an IT business and can and will be used elsewhere. So the core will be worked out, but additions to the game which have not been announced will likely be scrapped / not developed, since the devs are a resource better used on a new project than on a project, which has sold 85%-90% of the copies it will ever sell. Just regular company thinking and a drawback of ANY early access game, no matter the company. So you will see an end of Alpha / Beta in time, no worries about that B)

Normally I would agree with you but considering the recent presentation and transparency from BI on this project it would require proportionally large levels of greed for such a development model to be undertaken. Their reputation would take far too big of a hit and with the console version of this game planned it would be insane to let it fall to the wayside. And I don't see them redirecting resources to another project simply because they don't have any others outside of Arma, DayZ and that Mars one. And of those three their headline act is our precious :).

No, considering Bohemias roots and continuing stake with independent developers I will give them the benefit of the doubt with any setbacks until the game does get to Beta. 

• Like 1

I'm soooo disapointed with the development of the SA. They should've taken the mechanics of the mod and put them into the new engine. Now I've got a lot of hats, diseases, deterioration of loot and other things really annoying me.....
Why complicating sth which was working well (the basic gameplay), and just add unnecassary stuff.

Just my opinion. I'm trying out the SA in a few months again, until then I'm playing other games/ ARMA  3 Mod/ Arma 2 Mod

Edited by El_Hadschi

The DayZ development team in association with Bohemia Interactive would like to announce that having completed our first year of Early Access development, we have reached an important project milestone. Looking forward into the opportunities and obstacles of the coming year, we would like to share our plans and goals for 2015.

These plans change over time, and internally the team has reviewed our progress this year against where we want DayZ to be at 1.0. Compiling this data we have completed a light roadmap based on our experience with the project for the upcoming year, and this is a taste of exciting things to come that we can look forward to.

Q1 2015

• Basic vehicles
  • Central economy (advanced loot distribution)
  • New renderer
  • New Zombie AI
  • Basic stealth system (zombies, animals, ...)
  • Diseases

Q2 2015

• Advanced vehicles (repair, modifications, ...)
  • Advanced animals - life cycle, group behavior
  • Player statistics
  • New UI Stamina / fatigue
  • Dynamic events

Q3 2015

• Traps
  • Barricading
  • Character life span + soft skills
  • Animal predators + birds
  • Aerial transport
  • Console prototype

Q4 2015

• BETA version
  • Animal companions (dog, horse)
  • Steam community integration (Achievements, Steamworks modding, etc)
  • Construction (building shelters / walls / ...)

today is 26-10-2015 so it is Q4 and we have just New UI Stamina / fatigue, Traps and that is ALL this game has HUGE delay, i haven't been playing for months just waiting for another part of buggs to be fixed with another patch THERE is no ZEDS now (zombies)

learned just one thing from you devs of dayz - dont buy unfinished games ......

I really believe, that the Devs wanted too much and spread in too many directions.
Yes, they have teams for each part of the game (mapcreation, zombies, graphics etc.) and only the mod in a new engine wouldn`t be enough for the most of the players i guess.
The delay is nothing new in SA and even when i wait for a few month (like now), there are always new bugs coming or atleast the version is unstable, so they have take something out (loot, zombies etc.) to start from the bottom.
That`s not bad and i think normal for a non-beta Game (Q4 2015...).
But i really think the relatively low gamemakers-experience at the beginning and switch from first thoughts to another and then get bugs and now they have experienced new problems, caused the delays until now.

I don`t say, that DayZ is a bad game or this has no future.
But they did make som huge mistakes at the beginning and after Dean`s Goodbye, they tried to started fresh, but now struggling with hard bugs or fragile gameparts like the loot or now zombies.
My hope is not gone and i`m always interested in DayZ SA, read every 2-3 days in the forum, Dev-Blog etc.
So i really believe, that the interest for that game, with that potential is still possible, like it was at the first 6-12 month.

It "just" depends on the developers and how they get back to the road and make DayZ SA a compact, balanced (Survival-PvP) Game with a better stability (FPS etc.) as now and atleast features like in the mod.
I would say, they have just a few month to reach that goal or it`s getting worst and worst for the interest for DayZ SA.
It already started, what makes me sad, because i still have hope and wanna play with my buddies. :)

So come on Hicks & Co...you can do it!

Edited by Nebuuuu