Blade4777980

Is it worth buying Dayz standalone yet? [With Developer responses]

I brought Dayz in 2013 when it first came out for £14.99 it's gone up since then but what do I care what you pay the early bird gets the worm

I brought Dayz in 2013 when it first came out for £14.99 it's gone up since then but what do I care what you pay the early bird gets the worm

hmm...$23.57, thats weird. still not $15 though, but whatev's. i bought it Dec 23rd, 2013, basically a week after it became available and paid $29.99 through steam.

https://www.steamprices.com/us/app/221100/dayz

Interesting thread.  In my opinion, yes it is worth buying DayZ if you want to get the game cheap but not if you are looking for a full fledged gaming experience.  DayZ is as Alpha as it gets.  I've done a lot of Alpha/Beta testing for games over the past 15 years and all of them until recently(the past year or two) you needed to apply through questionnaires and even write essays on why you should be chosen to help test games.  This whole early access thing is terrible and I personally think will hinder game development more. 

Is the game worth buying??? Well here is a list of current bugs:

Important bugs and issues

Zombies
* Zombies clipping through floors/walls
* Zombies hitting through upper floors from the ground floor
* Low zombie numbers
* No zombie respawning
Zombies are a work in progress they are a very active area of development, we consider the current implementation a base level to commence further testing. Their AI was completely redeveloped, which means we need to come up with new (more efficient) methods of their interaction with the world, such as collision, as the ArmA way is not designed for thousands of AI to operate at once on this scale. This will be one of our most active areas of development.

Audio issues
* Loud opening of cans of drink 
* Ambient animals making zombie noises
Due to the many changes to architecture, we have not been focused on audio. While some changes have been made we just hired a dedicated audio designer who will be teamed up with an audio programmer to completely revamp the way sounds work. We feel sound is very important for DayZ so we are really committed to this.

Map Issues
* Fences and objects clipping through buildings
* Loot sunk into the ground or floating
Pleased bug these up in the feedback tracker with accurate map locations and images. This be difficult without a map but posting images around the forums or other communities might bring others who recognize the location.

Loot Distribution
* Loot not spawning in every building
* Loot not well balanced
Balancing the whole world is very difficult. We also plan to centralize distribution of key items so there will be a global economy. For now, you have the basics and while this is not ideal it is enough for testing. We look forward to our exciting features with this!

Loot/Action Delays
* Loot taking long to take
* Splitting piles of loot not working properly
* Item out of sync in inventory
We heavily optimized the netcode but in some cases, we cut too deep. We will be isolating these as we go, but we already know this can occur (particularly obvious when first spawning in).

So with all these bugs is the game worth it????? Well actually when you consider that the above was taken from a post made by Rocket back in 2013, then the answer is no in my opinion. Because the devs have no idea and they are going to get modders to fix the issues they can't; which is ok but what is the point of the game when you have A2 DayZ Mod (and Epoch), A3 Epoch???

I feel like I have been on a 300 hr walking and being shot in the back of the head testing binge!!!

Edited by Zabrilla

So with all these bugs is the game worth it????? Well actually when you consider that the above was taken from a post made by Rocket back in 2013, then the answer is no in my opinion. Because the devs have no idea and they are going to get modders to fix the issues they can't; which is ok but what is the point of the game when you have A2 DayZ Mod (and Epoch), A3 Epoch???

Protip, modders can't and don't fix code

Is it worth buying Dayz standalone yet ....

It was always worth each cent. Go for it.

Are you talking specifically about BI games or something? Because, if not, the modders of Fallout: New Vegas (http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/51664/?), just off the top of my head, would beg to disagree. And, while in many cases the modders can't directly access the game's code, they can still fix a shitload of bugs and do so all the time. Every time a shitty PC port is released, modders do anything they can to fix it.

That said, that dude you replied to is still wrong and just going off on some emotional tirade.

FALSE. 

FALSE. 

True.  Game companies do not give out their code for their games but do give out their source engine.

IE Unreal Engine, Half-life Engine

Edited by leader.one

True.  Game companies do not give out their code for their games but do give out their source engine.

IE Unreal Engine, Half-life Engine

You will need to structure your sentences properly if I am to address your post.

Also if you could elaborate on "code" and "source engine", perhaps just your own personal definitions of these terms? I always thought "engines" were written in "code", and "source" was uncompiled "code". Valve has an "engine" called the "source engine" but it appears as though you aren't referring to that one. So long story short this reads like strongly contrived double speak.

You will need to structure your sentences properly if I am to address your post.

Also if you could elaborate on "code" and "source engine", perhaps just your own personal definitions of these terms? I always thought "engines" were written in "code", and "source" was uncompiled "code". Valve has an "engine" called the "source engine" but it appears as though you aren't referring to that one. So long story short this reads like strongly contrived double speak.

You should educate yourself a little bit before getting into conversations you know nothing about.  Learn something about DRM.

You should educate yourself a little bit before getting into conversations you know nothing about.  Learn something about DRM.

That's incredible. You doubled down. Digital Rights Management is somehow the key to your ambiguous and incoherent use of generic computing terms? I would be getting frustrated if it didn't remind of this boss daft punk song.

Edited by B@ker
  • Like 1

Still not worth it, still a waste of your money.

Logged in after a half of the year, still getting 15-20 FPS (or less, more less) on my pretty decent PC rig with 970 GPU, still clunky and unresponsive controls, loading times of the basic menu - after spending half of a year in another games, it really took ages just to show me the start button (-nosplash etc. activated of course ;)) and I had to click on the "I understadnd" button - laughably unwilling to let me continue even after three click tries. What a joke.

Where is the promissed new renderer? And other things? In this game I still can turn on the clouds and other superb features, but only under one condition - I love playin games with 7 FPS and less. Real tragedy. But I found nails and some jacket I've neer seen before. OK.

So for those, who'd like to know, if they should buy this - no. Wait, I'll chekc this "game" around the Christmas time, so save the money and go and buy yourself some ice cream.

• Like 1

Still not worth it, still a waste of your money.

Logged in after a half of the year, still getting 15-20 FPS (or less, more less) on my pretty decent PC rig with 970 GPU, still clunky and unresponsive controls, loading times of the basic menu - after spending half of a year in another games, it really took ages just to show me the start button (-nosplash etc. activated of course ;)) and I had to click on the "I understadnd" button - laughably unwilling to let me continue even after three click tries. What a joke.

Where is the promissed new renderer? And other things? In this game I still can turn on the clouds and other superb features, but only under one condition - I love playin games with 7 FPS and less. Real tragedy. But I found nails and some jacket I've neer seen before. OK.

So for those, who'd like to know, if they should buy this - no. Wait, I'll chekc this "game" around the Christmas time, so save the money and go and buy yourself some ice cream.

the parameters you used in the arma games lead to bugs and worse performance, i got about 10 fps in towns by removing them (cpuCount, maxmem, maxvram, exthreads, nosplash etc.)

but the game is definitely still unoptimized, someone who doesn't have a top-notch PC will probably not enjoy (though i definitely enjoy it with my 500 € potato bought 4 years ago)

Edited by Zombo

the parameters you used in the arma games lead to bugs and worse performance, i got about 10 fps in towns by removing them (cpuCount, maxmem, maxvram, exthreads, nosplash etc.)

but the game is definitely still unoptimized, someone who doesn't have a top-notch PC will probably not enjoy (though i definitely enjoy it with my 500 € potato bought 4 years ago)

So - I've just quickly removed the parametres (and had to suffer the BI logo), but mate ... 10 FPS gain? How did you get it? Maybe on your "potato" PC (not mocking you), but I got not a simple 1 FPS more. Checked in the same spot outside/inside town. Sorry, still crap.

So - I've just quickly removed the parametres (and had to suffer the BI logo), but mate ... 10 FPS gain? How did you get it? Maybe on your "potato" PC (not mocking you), but I got not a simple 1 FPS more. Checked in the same spot outside/inside town. Sorry, still crap.

well it worked for me, getting about 10-20 fps in cherno, before that it was way worse

well it worked for me, getting about 10-20 fps in cherno, before that it was way worse

.. OOOOKAY.

I would think ten times before you buy it. In two years he has arrived mid alpha. between another two years perhaps she come the beta, but in a year's competition will have one functioning and 3,170,000 customers will be less happy at work Team bohemia. Maybe they will not buy any product, as I do if things go well. goodbye

I would think ten times before you buy it. In two years he has arrived mid alpha. between another two years perhaps she come the beta, but in a year's competition will have one functioning and 3,170,000 customers will be less happy at work Team bohemia. Maybe they will not buy any product, as I do if things go well. goodbye

Get your facts right first, then try and open some form of coherent argument, if possible.

Welcome and goodbye to you too.

Have a nice day  :)

Go to the reviews page and select anything but the "Most Helpful (All time)" and you will see the reallity.

This game is a fucking joke, over 2 years of development and it is stuck almost on the same spot that I saw at the early-access launch. To be honest I feel cheated and if it was possible I would try to chargeback, I feel ashamed for supporting this team of devs. Its really stupid when you see games that came out later on the early access program and are already launched as full game.

Just a few examples for you:

http://prntscr.com/7dbmqt

http://prntscr.com/7dbmu2

http://prntscr.com/7dbmyu

http://prntscr.com/7dbn1t

the positive on this one is in fact negative

http://prntscr.com/7dbnag

I think like you. I loved Dayz immediately, I have defended many times ... but I feel reflecting teased from Bohemia. I have written several posts complaints on Steam forum dayz, complaining of their slowness and promising that I would never buy one of their products. I have deleted the post. Why? Too inconvenient? Perhaps they fear that people will wake up? I do not consider their attegiamento seriously. Try to write something like that in discussions of Dayz of steam and you will see similar results.

Well, if you've come here to troll the Forums I have a solution for that.

Ruling:

Experimental is currently fun as shit. Loot is fairly balanced, performance is fairly good. 

Overall its pretty solid now.

Needs more zombies and animals but it is a WIP after all. 

• Like 2

DayZ Standalone is quite and engaging and immersive experience. 

Right up until your realise you're playing a zombie survival game missing the key ingredient.....zombies.

They're obviously being worked on, but until the environment of chernarus gets harsh, you're still essentially playing ARMA death-match with survival mechanics; surviving only bored players, not a zombie ravaged land. It's down to what you look for in a game, but it's not quite there for me yet.

My opinion : wait until zombies are closer to being fully implemented.

Edited by ScramUK
  • Like 1