SmashT

October Round-up: #DayZDaily

Hopefully they are doing something better than sitting here like us!

I'm at work so. . . technically I'm getting paid for this. Oh lord the guilt.

• Like 1

I now wonder if it would have been better that we knew nothing of the SA being developed. We'd all be merrily enjoying the same DayZ(mod) we all know, with all its glitches and problems and then BAM! "Rocket has announced the release of DayZ Standalone!"

All this hype over the SA can only end up working against it. Remember the hype over modern warfare 2? (Doesn't deserve capitalisation btw)

The whole community is going nuts waiting, some of us managing to wait better than others but we're all anxious, and in the meantime endlessly discussing what we do/don't want and arguing about kos and zombies blah blah...

I just wonder how it can live up to expectations. I'm deliberately trying to expect the worst so as not to be disappointed.

What the hell is the topic anyway??

• Like 1

The whole community is going nuts waiting

Hey, mind you, some of us were nuts long before we began the waiting game.

squirrel-eating-nut.jpg

• Like 1

Dean posted some article on his facebook which says the standalone will be out next year.

"The full game is not due for release until 2015, but early versions will be available next year."

Article : http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn24325-buttonmasher-the-rise-of-consequences-in-video-games.html?full=true#.UlbsoatBmHZ

Good work Dean posting articles and not interacting about it with your community directly.

Edited by nicefish

Dean posted some article on his facebook which says the standalone will be out next year.

"The full game is not due for release until 2015, but early versions will be available next year."

Article : http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn24325-buttonmasher-the-rise-of-consequences-in-video-games.html?full=true#.UlbsoatBmHZ

Good work Dean posting articles and not interacting about it with your community directly.

No, that is in reference to Nowhere, Leonard Ritter's game.

"You should feel responsibility for what you're doing," says Leonard Ritter, an independent game developer based in Dresden, Germany. "But most games do not give you the option." Ritter wants to explore consequence in games even further. He is working on a title called Nowhere that aims to simulate complex social interactions between players and computer-controlled characters, showing players how their actions affect not only those characters but also future versions of themselves. The full game is not due for release until 2015, but early versions will be available next year. Ritter got the idea when, while playing Grand Theft Auto 4, he was struck by how players played two types of game. Sometimes they would run around shooting people without thinking about the consequences; at other times, they would concentrate on achieving a strict objective. He wondered what would happen if your disruptive self suddenly showed up during a mission and shot you. "You would ruin your own game," says Ritter. "I thought that would be powerful."

Learn to read in context before accusing Dean of negligence.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 9

"You should feel responsibility for what you're doing," says Leonard Ritter, an independent game developer based in Dresden, Germany. "But most games do not give you the option." Ritter wants to explore consequence in games even further. He is working on a title called Nowhere that aims to simulate complex social interactions between players and computer-controlled characters, showing players how their actions affect not only those characters but also future versions of themselves. The full game is not due for release until 2015, but early versions will be available next year. Ritter got the idea when, while playing Grand Theft Auto 4, he was struck by how players played two types of game. Sometimes they would run around shooting people without thinking about the consequences; at other times, they would concentrate on achieving a strict objective. He wondered what would happen if your disruptive self suddenly showed up during a mission and shot you. "You would ruin your own game," says Ritter. "I thought that would be powerful."

If Dean didn't say what Nicefish said that he had said, then why do birds fly? Explain that to me.

• Like 1

Actually, here's the correct quote:

Carter thinks the ideas behind DayZ could soon become more widespread. "We're going to start seeing a lot of other online games implementing similar systems," he says. For example, Hall is now working with a team of developers and bigger budget on a completely reworked version of the game, to be released next year. Mainstream games publisher Ubisoft says it wants to recreate the social interactions of DayZ in its forthcoming online FPS Tom Clancy's The Division.

The question is, of course, whether this release is the full release (next year) or the alpha.

"For example, Hall is now working with a team of developers and bigger budget on a completely reworked version of the game, to be released next year"

The question is, of course, whether this release is the full release (next year) or the alpha.

I wouldn't read too much into it, given that it's not a direct quote from Rocket. Even if it isn't just the author of the article speculating, it's pretty vague anyhow (I'm sure we all knew SA would be out, in alpha form or not, sometime between now and the end of next year).

Edited by Katana67

I wouldn't read too much into it, given that it's not a direct quote from Rocket. Even if it isn't just the author of the article speculating, it's pretty vague anyhow (I'm sure we all knew SA would be out, in alpha form or not, sometime between now and the end of next year).

Dean posted that article himself so dfean has looked at it.

its out next year.

Dean posted that article himself so dfean has looked at it.

its out next year.

See ya, forum, in 2014. It's been fun stalking the developers while it lasted, and smiting the unbelievers who dared question their statements.

• Like 1

Today was a good day. Dean & the DayZ team worked late and an impromptu gun/baseball bat fight was the perfect end to the day. #dayzdaily

this is what hicks wrote today, in case people didnt see it :D

Sounds like we will get melee devblog next.

Carter thinks the ideas behind DayZ could soon become more widespread. "We're going to start seeing a lot of other online games implementing similar systems," he says. For example, Hall is now working with a team of developers and bigger budget on a completely reworked version of the game, to be released next year. Mainstream games publisher Ubisoft says it wants to recreate the social interactions of DayZ in its forthcoming online FPS Tom Clancy's The Division.

Hmmm that's not a direct quote from Dean and the paragraph is about Carter. Really like to hear about this from Dean that is this just one of those "journalist spices" or truth.

Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Like 1

Hmmm that's not a direct quote from Dean and the paragraph is about Carter. Really like to hear about this from Dean that is this just one of those "journalist spices" or truth.

This. Not to mention it's pretty obvious that, even if Alpha were to be released in 2013, the full 1.0 version would probably come about in 2014. It states nothing about the alpha itself.

Edited by Katana67

This. Not to mention it's pretty obvious that, even if Alpha were to be released in 2013, the full 1.0 version would probably come about in 2014. It states nothing about the alpha itself.

Then he shouldnt be posting stuff like this because its just going to turn more people away.

Then he shouldnt be posting stuff like this because its just going to turn more people away.

Who is it turning away? And if it did, how would it? He linked it, probably due to the overall message of the piece, about endorsing consequences in video games.

Likewise, he linked it, he didn't author it. Thus making it unofficial at best, and completely speculative at worst.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

Today was a good day. Dean & the DayZ team worked late and an impromptu gun/baseball bat fight was the perfect end to the day. #dayzdaily

I think DayZ mod bandits better practise their melee techniques if they want to be effective in SA.

Who is it turning away? And if it did, how would it? He linked it, probably due to the overall message of the piece, about endorsing consequences in video games.

Likewise, he linked it, he didn't author it. Thus making it unofficial at best, and completely speculative at worst.

Fair point and all but I still stick with what ive said.

Dean should provide an update.

LOL for some reason at first  i did not connect this info with the game but just read "baseball bat fight " and actually thought the devs were just roughhousing around the office with real baseball bats...hmmm. :D :D .

Maybe my brain is conditioned to think dean and the others are doing anything but actually developing ;-)

He did...he said he'd see us at the end of this final sprint...

If you are talking about the "Final Lap" quote then again I am pretty sure the final lap is in reference to cars/car racing/racing and not to do with the standalone.

But you may be referring to another quote. :)

If you are talking about the "Final Lap" quote then again I am pretty sure the final lap is in reference to cars/car racing/racing and not to do with the standalone.

But you may be referring to another quote. :)

Surely you're taking the piss?  :lol: