rocket

DayZ Developer Blog 3rd August 2013

Curious about the speed of the zombies, why are they easily out running people??

let me repeat this for you "Zombies are 0% done"

Well i hope zombies are 0% done, and i don't mind waiting another year for them to be 100% done, because the zombies in this video are really bad...

I would not mind an optional group spawning mechanic for starting a new game together with friends or as suggested by Zeppa starting  with a small group of random people. But clan spawn mechanics like respawning near your squadleader after being killed or at your base for example are completely out of question. Also picking up respawning team members at the coast by chopper or car will be hopefully stopped by making fuel extremely rare in the SA. Being able to carry only 2 long-guns for gameplay reasons as suggested by Codestargod sounds like a very good idea to me. 

"He should also not be allowed to use the same username as before, but rather, take on an entirely different character. Any accumulated abilities would be wiped clean, and in effect, be an avatar noob all over again."

agreed but I would go that far and also wipe out any saved tents and vehicles...btw will containers like tents, vehicles or boxes/crates work the same way as in the mod ?? 

let me repeat this for you "Zombies are 0% done"

DayZ is kind of a zombie-game, right? So why add so many other things to this game before fixing one of the main problems: the zombie behavior (pathfinding, clipping, animations and so on) ?

DayZ is kind of a zombie-game, right? So why add so many other things to this game before fixing one of the main problems: the zombie behavior (pathfinding, clipping, animations and so on) ?

Do not confuse the DayZ Mod with the SA.

• Like 2

I think Dean does it to punish us for annoying him.

So you would like new release of the mod with better zombie AI?

Zed behaviour is one aspect of the game, that will be worked on as any other feature. Doesnt matter if they work with it first or the last if x amount of features will be done anyway before release.

So you would like new release of the mod with better zombie AI?

Zed behaviour is one aspect of the game, that will be worked on as any other feature. Doesnt matter if they work with it first or the last if x amount of features will be done anyway before release.

don't play dumb man ...

Zed behavior should be one of the key aspects of making this game and should have higher priority than all the other (cool) features that rocket is implementing.

We can live with an alpha that doesn't allow us to write stuff on our gear to confuse other people, but we can't live with an alpha with shitty zombie behavior.

• Like 1

Simo Häyhä is that you?

It is. You better watch out that Mosin-Nagant guy without a scope.

don't play dumb man ...

Zed behavior should be one of the key aspects of making this game and should have higher priority than all the other (cool) features that rocket is implementing.

We can live with an alpha that doesn't allow us to write stuff on our gear to confuse other people, but we can't live with an alpha with shitty zombie behavior.

Heh, still.

If its decided to implement features a,d,c,d,e,f before release, does it matter in which order they do it?

And rightly so.

If it were up to me, you'd all be going to bed without any supper, too.

That's inhumane! I demand better treatment than this.

Heh, still.

If its decided to implement features a,d,c,d,e,f before release, does it matter in which order they do it?

somehow i doubt that they have a 100% fixed plan what to implement before release.

To me it makes more sense to do the important things (which realy have to be in the game) at the beginning.

If it turns out that for some reason parts of the crafting system or gun models aren't perfect and that it would take another few month to finish those, they still could release the alpha (because they already said they would add features over time).

But if they do zombies last - while everything elese is finished - and they encounter some problems .... well, what then?

DayZ (mod) is already a great game the way it is now and i guess most people wouldn't have a problem playing the Alpha-SA the way how the mod is now, if it would be free of bugs, shitty zeds and cheaters and also knowing that all the new features will come over time. - But that might just be my opinion.

Heh, still.

Yes.  The whole idea of the alpha is to have the basic foundation of the game in place before adding countless other features.  Zombies, in my opinion, are part of the basic foundation.

• Like 3

But if they do zombies last - while everything elese is finished - and they encounter some problems .... well, what then?

Then they take the time they need.

Yes.  The whole idea of the alpha is to have the basic foundation of the game in place before adding countless other features.  Zombies, in my opinion, are part of the basic foundation.

imo, basic foundation is the whole system that enables to do things like crafting and suchs. Zombie movement is one thing to tweak and adjust like features related to decieses etc. True that the labeling and really small stuff like that could wait, but hell

we can wait.

• Like 1

Yeh, that I think I have to agree with.  

Obviously we don't know the inner workings of the dev team or what they have prioritised and why so it's hard to be too critical at this point.  I think most of us understand that the game is releasing in an alpha state which means features may be incomplete or missing but having said that I think it's also fair for us to expect them to be in a better state than the mod.

Anyway, it sounds like they're looking for a different approach to solve the issue so fingers crossed I guess.

I personally don't mind a small amount of clipping etc but the main thing that bothers me with the zeds both in the mod and the SA so far is the lack of feeling of weight/or momentum they have.  The individual animations they have actually look pretty good but they just seem a bit mashed together.  When they go from 0 - 60mph in 0 seconds and then turn on a sixpence it just doesn't look great and makes it feel very "gamey".

Well, it seems all of the criticism and concerns for what people have seen has been listened to because they seem very aware now that peeps won't be happy if the zeds aren't improved in some way.  There may be a lot of restrictions in what they can do due to this being a large multiplayer game but I think it's fair enough to expect an improvement.  I guess the only questions that remain is how long that improvement will take and how much it is actually possible to improve.

Edited by Fraggle

don't play dumb man ...

Something tells me that there are certain things that have to be in place when it comes to the engine (specifically, the netcode) before serious work on zombies can begin. But, unfortunately, I'm doubting that every programmer specializes in working on game engines. My guess is that rocket is trying to knock out two birds with one stone by getting programmers who don't really know how to modify an engine to work on other features like radios and creating. That's just my guess, and it could be wrong.

• Like 1

Something tells me that there are certain things that have to be in place when it comes to the engine (specifically, the netcode) before serious work on zombies can begin. But, unfortunately, I'm doubting that every programmer specializes in working on game engines. My guess is that rocket is trying to knock out two birds with one stone by getting programmers who don't really know how to modify an engine to work on other features like radios and creating. That's just my guess, and it could be wrong.

Here's my guess: they're Arma developers. Arma is a game. Therefore, they're game developers.

One of the guys on the dev team is probably the most experienced RV engine programmer in the world, he helped make it (As I understand it anyway).

I think an easy fix to morality in Dayz would be to take away the ability to change your username. The name you pick at purchase is yours FOREVER. Your past actions could be accounted for by word of mouth on forums, some type of in game advisory radio station, etc. In other words you could build a real reputation in game as hero, bandit, asshole, etc.  

Even if you server hop your name remains. If, as players there was a way to put the word out about nefarious types, known murderers.

in keeping with realism i think it's then about ACCOUNTABLILTY for your ACTIONS. The current mod gives you the ability to stay nameless where as having to re- purchase the game to drop your in game reputation might be incentive enough.

Make sense?

Agreed. I think this idea fits in well with authenticity, simulation, etc. Only problem is it is doubtful nameplates will be in sa and thus you have to go on faith a guy is being truthful with his name. Still I think in game name should be permanent.

I would like to make a question that bothers me for some time. Rocket said and it was announced that DayZ would be playable at GamesCom 2013. As we all know with many bugs and glitches it is already playable. The question is will it came out as an alpha before gamescom or even at gamescom or can it be that people can have the unique experience to play it at gamescom and it will only come out when the milestone is reached or the bigger problems are solved?

Without flaming me, can someone give a hint or a guess to what will happen?

Edited by Satirys

I would like to make a question that bothers me for some time. Rocket said and it was announced that DayZ would be playable at GamesCom 2013. As we all know with many bugs and glitches it is already playable. The question is will it came out as an alpha before gamescom or even at gamescom or can it be that people can have the unique experience to play it at gamescom and it will only come out when the milestone is reached or the bigger problems are solved?

Without flaming me, can someone give a hint or a guess to what will happen?

SA will be released waaaayyy later, like earliest around Christmas. Not for Gamescom, as that is for testing the waters most likely.

This is a guess of mine.

Edit: Also, I got confused since I had understood that we were supposed to receive an update in the devblog this weekend?? :S

Edited by Nihoggr