rocket

DayZ Developer Blog 3rd August 2013

In reality you base your recognition of someone from many things, of course facial features are a large portion of that and customizable in game, but body shape, walking gait and just how people carry them selves are also large parts of identification that are all identical in the game as it currently is.  This makes it very difficult to actually recognize people as it would  be in real life without some gamified way to help (ie nameplates)  I'd rather they were not needed, but just like the argument between 1st and 3rd person, there are some parts of the environment that are just not able to be reproduced faithfully in a way that would make a full 1st person experience as realistic as at first it seems it should be.  Perhaps support for the Oculus Rift will help with that part at least.

• Like 1

In reality you base your recognition of someone from many things, of course facial features are a large portion of that and customizable in game, but body shape, walking gait and just how people carry them selves are also large parts of identification that are all identical in the game as it currently is.  This makes it very difficult to actually recognize people as it would  be in real life without some gamified way to help (ie nameplates)  I'd rather they were not needed, but just like the argument between 1st and 3rd person, there are some parts of the environment that are just not able to be reproduced faithfully in a way that would make a full 1st person experience as realistic as at first it seems it should be.  Perhaps support for the Oculus Rift will help with that part at least.

Clothing is an identifier here. Granted, accidents happen and it's not good to just go run off and grab a new shirt, but still, that's what Dayz will use to tell people apart.

And have to remember system behind such features as writing on stuff could be used for variety of features(or part of them), NOT ONLY for the labeling... Maybe the labelling is easyest way of testing it.

Edited by Zeppa

If the player skeletons are indeed complete, could it not be possible to simulate variations in gait by randomly varying the skeletal structure, height, thickness and body type of each individual and how they move as they walk?

It would require that the skeleton be seen as made up of several individual limb objects, in which case you could adjust the length of each limb for slightly longer stride, more sway, a little more hunch or straight back, head moves more from side to side, more tail wag, head bob, etc. Variations would have to be significant enough for human players to identify uniqueness in each skeleton structure.

In this case, a second person could study how the individual walks, and recognize them from this. Gait is one of the primary methods humans employ to recognize persons they are familiar with when simultaneously associated with facial features, complexion, height, colour of hair and body type.

It seems to me that this should not be a problem for an experienced software programmer...

If this were to be modeled, I am not certain how the human brain might process these variations to identify uniqueness in characters within a virtual setting, but it would be interesting for the sake of further study.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4OQSmSslGk

Edited by codestargod

It seems to me that this should not be a problem for an experienced software programmer...

yes, but most certainly for BI ...

(waiting for the fanboys to start flaming ..)

• Like 3

yes, but most certainly for BI ...

(waiting for the fanboys to start flaming ..)

Everybody stop! Do not Feed this troll!

I think it's much cheaper (computer resource wise) to have pre-rendered walking animations and making even 10s of these would probably start to cause performance issues.

I wasn't sure this was New Thread-worthy, so I've decided to announce it here.

Upon the release of the standalone build, which includes note-making, I shall beggining my 7-issue special of The Girthmaster-General Adventures.

Due to me only writing one copy of each issue, my fingers are crossed that through infamy, issues of The Girthmaster-General Adventures will be the equivilent of diamonds, in term of trade.

Watch this space.

• Like 1

I wasn't sure this was New Thread-worthy, so I've decided to announce it here.

Upon the release of the standalone build, which includes note-making, I shall beggining my 7-issue special of The Girthmaster-General Adventures.

Due to me only writing one copy of each issue, my fingers are crossed that through infamy, issues of The Girthmaster-General Adventures will be the equivilent of diamonds, in term of trade.

Watch this space.

How much reading is in them?

Dunno yet. I feel like they should be quite a girthy read, but don't think many people have the girth required to read it all.

...Girth.

Dunno yet. I feel like they should be quite a girthy read, but don't think many people have the girth required to read it all.

...Girth.

Oh, baby. I have the size and the girth!

Has anyone seen Rockets Twitter, he is posting daily updates on progress, small snippets of info, pretty much exactly what we asked for, well even more to be honest, could have been a biweekly thing!

Any chance we could get a daily updated thread with his twitter posts for all us cavemen who dont use it/stay away from it like the plague?

Edited by triggy89

Has anyone seen Rockets Twitter, he is posting daily updates on progress, small snippets of info, pretty much exactly what we asked for, well even more to be honest, could have been a biweekly thing!

Any chance we could get a daily updated thread with his twitter posts for all us cavemen who dont use it/stay away from it like the plague?

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/144748-august-round-up-dayzdaily/

:P

Just simply wanted to put this out there. Please support the option for "Sound Output Device" in SA! <3
I recently bought a new soundcard and was hoping (or well, assumed) I would be able to play music in the speakers and game-sound in my headset.... well no.

As far as I've read, it's difficult to implement afterwards? Hopefully I'm not way to late, or maybe some kickass developer already thought of this.

Anyway, can't wait (or well, I can. I trust your judgement. It's ready when it's ready!!) for SA ;D I surely hope it's gonna be the game of my dreams (no pressure).

And thanks for DayZ mod! (=

(Edit, removed blue text)

Edited by Freeaze

Just simply wanted to put this out there. Please support the option for "Sound Output Device" in SA! <3

I recently bought a new soundcard and was hoping (or well, assumed) I would be able to play music in the speakers and game-sound in my headset.... well no.

As far as I've read, it's difficult to implement afterwards? Hopefully I'm not way to late, or maybe some kickass developer already thought of this.

Anyway, can't wait (or well, I can. I trust your judgement. It's ready when it's ready!!) for SA ;D I surely hope it's gonna be the game of my dreams (no pressure).

And thanks for DayZ mod! (=

Not going to happen, and writing with blue only worsens it.

Please support the option for "Sound Output Device" in SA! <3

Yea... that's definitely not going to happen at this stage... sorry.

Don't feel too blue about it, tho!!! :lol:

Edited by codestargod

You would have better luck finding a audiofile playback utility that would have device specific outputs than DayZ doing it for you.

I just checked and here are a couple that I found:

AIMP  http://aimp.ru/

WinAMP  http://www.winamp.com

Or were you trying to playback DayZ "Music" over the speakers and DayZ "Sound Effects" on the Headphones?

Edited by SpudmanWP
  • Like 1

Not going to happen, and writing with blue only worsens it.

Sorry about the blue, edited away right away^^ Not meant to be seen, I just think it looks good (=

You would have better luck finding a audiofile playback utility that would have device specific outputs than DayZ doing it for you.

I just checked and here are a couple that I found:

AIMP  http://aimp.ru/

WinAMP  http://www.winamp.com

Or were you trying to playback DayZ "Music" over the speakers and DayZ "Sound Effects" on the Headphones?

And no, not meant to be splitting up sounds from within the game. (That would be cool tho, but I wouldn't use.... damn that would be cool XD)

Anyway, thanks for the ideas. Gonna check them out. I've googled alot for a solution but none of those were ever mentioned :|  Only found IndieVolum (which didn't work in 64-bit) and Virtual Audio Cable (which had nothing to do with splitting up audio output device on a program-to-program basis).

Btw, I'm not looking for a new music-software that supports this. I'm looking for a solution in programs that DO NOT support this. Like webbrowsers, bf3, arma etc. 

Programs/games that I do know support this option are WoW, SC2, VLC, WinAMP and Windows Player(?).

As far as I know WinAMP is a music-software program, but I will check out what AIMP is though.

Thanks for trying though, and too bad if fellow players don't miss this feature in games/programs they use. I just figured I couldn't be alone (and my google searching proved that! ;D).

I'm happy to argument for my case, but I believe this is not the correct thread for that! <3

Edited by Freeaze

Sorry about the blue, edited away right away^^ Not meant to be seen, I just think it looks good (=

And no, not meant to be splitting up sounds from within the game. (That would be cool tho, but I wouldn't use.... damn that would be cool XD)

Anyway, thanks for the ideas. Gonna check them out. I've googled alot for a solution but none of those were ever mentioned :|  Only found IndieVolum (which didn't work in 64-bit) and Virtual Audio Cable (which had nothing to do with splitting up audio output device on a program-to-program basis).

Btw, I'm not looking for a new music-software that supports this. I'm looking for a solution in programs that DO NOT support this. Like webbrowsers, bf3, arma etc. 

Programs/games that I do know support this option are WoW, SC2, VLC, WinAMP and Windows Player(?).

As far as I know WinAMP is a music-software program, but I will check out what AIMP is though.

Thanks for trying though, and too bad if fellow players don't miss this feature in games/programs they use. I just figured I couldn't be alone (and my google searching proved that! ;D).

I'm happy to argument for my case, but I believe this is not the correct thread for that! <3

Try Jack

http://jackaudio.org/jack_on_windows

AIMP and WinAMP will solve the problem for you.  Here are the steps:

1.  Set the headphones to be the default playback device on your system.

2.  Set the playback device on AIMP/WinAMP/etc to be the soundcard or other specific device other than "default"

3.  Play music on AIMP/WinAMP/etc

4.  Play DayZ

5.  DayZ sounds will come over headphones and CD/MP3/etc will play over speakers.

6.  Problem solved.

Remember, work smarter, not harder.

AIMP and WinAMP will solve the problem for you.  Here are the steps:

1.  Set the headphones to be the default playback device on your system.

2.  Set the playback device on AIMP/WinAMP/etc to be the soundcard or other specific device other than "default"

3.  Play music on AIMP/WinAMP/etc

4.  Play DayZ

5.  DayZ sounds will come over headphones and CD/MP3/etc will play over speakers.

6.  Problem solved.

Remember, work smarter, not harder.

And what if I want to use another program? Like spotify, or simply just the webbrowser (grooveshark, youtube)? (=

(Added quote)

Edited by Freeaze

Since the headphones are set as default, then all non-music sounds come over the headphones and the music will continue to play over the speakers.

Spotify cannot be set to a certain device at this time.  It has been a feature request for over 3 years.  It will use whatever is the Windows Default Device.

However, not all is lost.  Here (http://www.fidelify.net/) is a Spodify Client that allows you change your output device.  However, Fidelify requires a Premium Spotify account (bummer).

Edited by SpudmanWP

Since the headphones are set as default, then all non-music sounds come over the headphones and the music will continue to play over the speakers.

If you want Spotify to output to your speakers, then you will have to check to see if that is a feature.

It's not^^ Hence the problem (neither do webbrowsers). But a previous poster suggested a program to solve that. Havn't had the time to set it up and try it yet (=