rocket

DayZ Developer Blog 3rd August 2013

Where your ideas about the god mechanic is concerned, I am betting you disagree only because you ain't a Christian. But, to each his own...

Or maybe because god doesn't go around spouting out warnings and smiting people for killing others in real life, nevermind in a video game  :rolleyes:

Good question. If your killed before you get a name then you would have to go off of a desciption of their appearance. Which in SA is viable with all the clothing choices coming along.

You could take that visual description to some community forum, or radio station, or in game chat and report your killer the best you could.

Random murder will always happen, but with the ability to seek that person out alone, or with a helpful group, I think only adds to the realism.

Or, if you had a dog, you could track that mutha-fu&*@r down if you got a piece of stuff he/she interacted with and a last known place and description.

"your dog companion has picked up three unknown scents from the last known visitors to this dead corpse. which would you opt to track?"

Edited by codestargod

What if you can't respawn for x amount of time (hours/days/weeks) when you've shot/killed x amount of people? Because killing in real life has consequences (the ecosystem) but in games there isn't really any. That would definately change how people play this game BUT it still has the freedom to shoot someone. There shouldn't be any way to decrease the amount of time if you've killed/shot anyone even if you turn to be a hero after that. The problem is that the game really needs to be so hard that you really need other people to survive.

Edited by St. Jimmy

Or maybe because god doesn't go around spouting out warnings and smiting people for killing others in real life, nevermind in a video game  :rolleyes:

yes he does!!!! stop being silly.

Good question. If your killed before you get a name then you would have to go off of a desciption of their appearance. Which in SA is viable with all the clothing choices coming along.

You could take that visual description to some community forum, or radio station, or in game chat and report your killer the best you could.

Random murder will always happen, but with the ability to seek that person out alone, or with a helpful group, I think only adds to the realism.

Yeah I'm hoping scenarios like you described will occur, along with a number of rages caused by mistaken identity  :lol: Again though players deciding to give out their names is nowt to do with any game mechanic, it's simply the core of which the game (as a social experiment) was built on in player interaction. Usernames will become irrelevant anyway should kill/death messages be removed, which I'm sure they will be for immersion reasons.

Edited by CapricornOne

What if you can't respawn for x amount of time (hours/days/weeks) when you've shot/killed x amount of people? Because killing in real life has consequences but in games there isn't really any. That would definately change how people play this game BUT it still has the freedom to shoot someone. The problem is that the game really needs to be so hard that you really need other people to survive.

I like this, but I feel it's like a 'time out', with no real consequence to your murder spree. Now if one of your victims got a desription or a name, then that can be used to warn other players.

Where your ideas about the god mechanic is concerned, I am betting you disagree only because you ain't a Christian.

Ah, ignorance and fallacious rhetoric all in one sentence... how very dull.

Edited by entspeak
  • Like 2

Rocket also mentioned that you may be able to track people by the items they've interacted with.  But, yes... if you bump into some people you can always warn them about the guy with the motorcycle helmet, red hoodie and green jeans.  You might even be able to track them by interacting with other players... "Have you seen such and such a person?"  It will make for some interesting gameplay.

What if you can't respawn for x amount of time (hours/days/weeks) when you've shot/killed x amount of people? Because killing in real life has consequences (the ecosystem) but in games there isn't really any. That would definately change how people play this game BUT it still has the freedom to shoot someone. There shouldn't be any way to decrease the amount of time if you've killed/shot anyone even if you turn to be a hero after that. The problem is that the game really needs to be so hard that you really need other people to survive.

I don't think this idea lends itself to a post-apocalyptic world where there is no law.  Now, it will be interesting to see if people form some sort of law.  There may be some servers with players who dedicate themselves to hunting down bad guys and meeting out justice - but, of course, one man's justice is another man's tyrrany... so, it would be interesting to see how that played out.

I think it will be fascinating to see how a community comes together or breaks apart based on moral views in the server.  The harder it is to survive, the more this will be able to play out, imo.  Will it be an eye for an eye, do unto others, or some form of nihilism?  Interesting to see.

Edited by entspeak

I think you are reading between the lines here. I never accused rocket of lying, so stop lying to yourself and (possibly) getting all frazzled in the head (I suspect)... :P

superp00perfanb0i detected.

I hate to admit it, but a skill system of some sort is more appealing in view of what the mod has become.

Adding a skill system would at least give your character value, which is the whole point of perma death. As it is the mod is not really any different to any other respawn and repeat shooter, you just have a little run each time.

I want it to be a crushing loss to be killed.

I hate to admit it, but a skill system of some sort is more appealing in view of what the mod has become.

Adding a skill system would at least give your character value, which is the whole point of perma death. As it is the mod is not really any different to any other respawn and repeat shooter, you just have a little run each time.

No.

Just No. You know the reasons against it.

yess, yesssssss... jooiiiiinnnn usssssssss..... let our thoughts live in your hearts and minds

Edited by codestargod

With Arma 3 releasing on Sept 13th, I'm guessing the DayZ dev team will begin to expand exponentially and things should hopefully progress rather quickly within the next couple of months.

As long as we do not get aim better, run faster, jump higher and do deadlier sneak attacks skills I am fine with that....

• Like 1

As long as we do not get aim better, run faster, jump higher and do deadlier sneak attacks skills I am fine with that....

MAAAAAAAAN, I'm not gonna let you poison me.

They will never implement a punishment for player killing. It is, and always will be, a viable playstyle of the game; and it should be. Instead of punishing for killing, you have to offer incentives to not kill someone.

I think the skills should be completely combat-free. As in, no skill should directly affect a player's PvP ability; they should be limited to survival skills.

Edited by Dutch Miller
  • Like 3

He said he would rather loose just his gear. Therefore people KoS mainly because gear can be found relatively quickly in the mod. In SA gear will be scarce and skill will be hard obtain. So KoS will not happen for those reasons at least.

I think that's the exact opposite of what would happen. Why would people KoS because gear can be found easily? For a dedicated bandit, that makes sense: it's very easy to acquire a weapon. But for the average player, they often kill for the other player's gear; implying that they want it, which implies that the gear isn't as plentiful as it seems. Now if we were to increase the scarcity, that mentality would only persist and increase. Since gear is difficult to obtain, players would theoretically be more likely to KoS because they likely want it and don't have it.

Essentially my point is, the more rare gear is, the more people want it, and the more they will kill to get it. 

No.

Just No. You know the reasons against it.

Oh I absolutely know, and generally I agree. But in all honesty I don't play the mod any more and one of the reasons is the total abscence of players respect for their own life. Getting a gun out and shooting at someone should have serious consequences. Losing some gear isn't enough.

If there is another way to give value to players characters then I'm all ears.

An extreme example (one that I know would never be done) would be to block a player entirely from any server for say, a week after being killed. I think I would be much more cautious than I am currently, and not sprint through Cherno like an idiot hoping to get lucky.

Oh I absolutely know, and generally I agree. But in all honesty I don't play the mod any more and one of the reasons is the total abscence of players respect for their own life. Getting a gun out and shooting at someone should have serious consequences. Losing some gear isn't enough.

If there is another way to give value to players characters then I'm all ears.

An extreme example (one that I know would never be done) would be to block a player entirely from any server for say, a week after being killed. I think I would be much more cautious than I am currently, and not sprint through Cherno like an idiot hoping to get lucky.

While I agree that shooting should have more serious consequences, giving players more value to their life would not solve the problem. I've said it many times before and I'll say it again.

The average player KoS's for a few reasons, one of them being fear of losing their stuff. They already value what they have, and making them value it more will cause them to be even more triggy happy when they see someone. I fail to see how one player shooting at someone shows a lack of respect for their own life. It shows a lack of respect for the other player's life.

Blocking a player from a server after being killed is stupid at best. It will easily make 50-75% of people who might have played the game quit. It will completely ruin any ability to learn how to play the game unless you've played the mod. Not only that, it will make dedicated bandits more common because anonymous internet nature is to make people angry for fun.

• Like 2

While I agree that shooting should have more serious consequences, giving players more value to their life would not solve the problem. I've said it many times before and I'll say it again.

The average player KoS's for a few reasons, one of them being fear of losing their stuff. They already value what they have, and making them value it more will cause them to be even more triggy happy when they see someone. I fail to see how one player shooting at someone shows a lack of respect for their own life. It shows a lack of respect for the other player's life.

Blocking a player from a server after being killed is stupid at best. It will easily make 50-75% of people who might have played the game quit. It will completely ruin any ability to learn how to play the game unless you've played the mod. Not only that, it will make dedicated bandits more common because anonymous internet nature is to make people angry for fun.

Yeah, no offense but blocking someone from playing on a server or from playing for a few hours is a very bad idea.

I stated this back in one of my post and imo the only way we could drastically stop KoS is if there was some way to make players feel bad about killing someone.  In real life any sane person would feel at least some form of guilt if they killed a person.  The problem in DayZ is that it's all pixels.  If the DayZ dev can find a way to break the barrier of pixels and find a way that could actually make players feel guilty, then I think that would lower KoS.

• Like 3

With Arma 3 releasing on Sept 13th, I'm guessing the DayZ dev team will begin to expand exponentially and things should hopefully progress rather quickly within the next couple of months.

Propably not because Arma 3 release is far from ready. There isn't even a campaign in that day and they need to add shit load of goodies to keep the community happy because now the community isn't that happy.

Or it  would make less KOS because there is a change that you will get killed while trying to do so?

Personally I would prefer evading the guy rather that wasting my last few round from enfield for a change to kill someone and maybe gain m4 with no ammo and old boots.. Worst case is that the guy has ammo after I have wated mine and Im the one doing the dying..

Only time will tell.

Edited by Zeppa

the game doesn't need to be hard... so you need other people to survive, the game needs to be hard so you take surviving seriously enough to want to not have to respawn.  The game becomes a deathmatch moreso because respawning isn't really much of a penalty; just a minor inconvenience.  So players are very careless about getting into shoot-outs.  If survivng had a bit more to it players would be very leary about putting themselves intoa situation where there might be a confrontation.  This also adds greatly to the inevitable player vs player confrontation.  When i first played Dayz seeing another player literally skyrocketed my heart rate, now it's like "oh well should I kill this dude or not"

Edited by oompah
  • Like 3