mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer blog 26th April, Video from PAX and our latest "building"

Maps should also be personalized so that individuals could mark and scribble important notes such as where they hid their loot.

This provides us with excellent justification to merc a mofo and unburden them from their map and things.

I second this. This is an awesome idea. Finding a person's camp from the doodles on their map would be cool.

Edited by Zarniwoop

I second this. This is an awesome idea. Finding a person's camp from the doodles on their map would be cool.

You mentioned nothing about the polaroid camera... I am offended. >:(

Edited by codestargod

You mentioned nothing about the polaroid camera... I am offended. >:(

Indeed I am sorry. Now that I read it again I second that idea too. :P

Edited by Zarniwoop

Indeed I am sorry. Now that I read it again I second that idea too. :P

...and the camcorder? >:(

Edited by codestargod
  • Like 1

in this case...

Q: What about map markers. You've talked about leaving letters or notes, what about maps?

A: We have some ideas for maps but I am a little reserved about talking about them because I don't think anyone has every really done what we're considering doing and I wouldn't want another game to pick it up. So that one is going to have to be a surprise.

• Like 1

IMO maps shoudnt be rare, they arent really rare in rl?

What should be changed is way to navigate with a map and terrain... and this brings us to the "dificulty levels" of the servers, there shouldnt be options like in arma now that you can add waypoints and shit..

Just plain map and compass, pen for marking stuff...

I agree that some maps could be partially torn or dirty so that they are unreadable here and there...

I think there shouldn't be one that accurate map what we have now. Maybe split it in pieces because it's very detailed. Or maybe military has that detailed maps of that big area so adding map what we have now in military loot and some basic maps can be found in markets, homes etc.

• Like 2

I think there shouldn't be one that accurate map what we have now. Maybe split it in pieces because it's very detailed. Or maybe military has that detailed maps of that big area so adding map what we have now in military loot and some basic maps can be found in markets, homes etc.

I don't see any reason that all/most/any number of maps should be in pieces. It's not as though people go around destroying maps because there's a zombie apocalypse. That sort of thing should be sitting in every household, having been left behind. Most people have maps. And even basic road maps have a lot of information.

I say concentrate on making more intense obstacles to getting places (zombies outside of cities for example), not on preventing people from knowing where they want to go.

• Like 2

Just a random thought but would there could be more than one shipwreck on the whole map. Been on a few surf charter boats around Indonesia and its not unusual to see more than one shipwreck on the same coastline.

I will never understand why Rocket decided to do all this extra job and work on ARMA II engine when he could just take ARMA III, delete all unnecessary content (tanks and whatnot), implement their current structure on anti-hacking and server architecture, and just release the game. THen add more to it like Minecraft did. In couple of days Dayz ARMA III mod will come out, check this out: http://imgur.com/a/Z6MEm

I agree but looks like we have to deal with it. It's not really a problem though.

Hopefully we get some underwater and caves etc..

Btw, DAT NIGHT SKY

I will never understand why Rocket decided to do all this extra job and work on ARMA II engine when he could just take ARMA III, delete all unnecessary content (tanks and whatnot), implement their current structure on anti-hacking and server architecture, and just release the game. THen add more to it like Minecraft did. In couple of days Dayz ARMA III mod will come out, check this out: http://imgur.com/a/Z6MEm

Well to tell you the truth the DayZ mod for ArmA3 is nothing new really. Its just ArmA2 assets plonked into ArmA3. Basicaly the only thing they have used from ArmA3 is a few of the physics, lighting effects, the character stances and some animations. There is so much stuff that can be used from ArmA3 that they are leaving out. They should focus on making a mod using stuff of ArmA 3.

Anyway we just have to wait and see what they do I suppose.

....GPS should not work anymore !

GPS should work for few years without maintenance.. it will slowly decrease accuracy over time, but it will still provides gps service..

There should be civilian versus military version of map.

When the game will finally be released, it will be too late. You are hopelessly late.

GPS should work for few years without maintenance.. it will slowly decrease accuracy over time, but it will still provides gps service..

There should be civilian versus military version of map.

GPS needs 4 satelites to work properly and a total of 24 satelites in orbit (plus reserve) to work worldwide. A modern satelite has a lifetime of nearly 7 years but without working satelite control centers like the European Space Operations Centre, GPS and telecomunication via satelite will not work properly for more than a few months maybe even less.

Edited by Private Evans

When the game will finally be released, it will be too late. You are hopelessly late.

I agree. They should have just released a load of rubbish early to keep us happy (for a very short period).

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 6

too late for what ????

I predict that the standalone will meet and surpass most of our expectations. I do not doubt tat there will be some features we dislike over the mod... perhaps those of us who prefer the complex nature of the inventory system or other aspects. I see many here are growing impatient or weary waiting. Clam down play some scrabble it will come and when it does we shall rejoice in our congealed bean kingdoms.

I don't understand the logic wherein if the game is somehow released at a later date than expected, it will fail miserably.

Isn't the first predictor of a game's success the quality of said game?

• Like 3

I don't understand the logic wherein if the game is somehow released at a later date than expected, it will fail miserably.

Isn't the first predictor of a game's success the quality of said game?

It's hard to define what "failing" is in this case. They will sell an obscene number of copies on release regardless of anything. However, DayZ's in a unique position because the standalone won't be much different than the mod at release, and they always run the risk of making it worse. Not only is there the possibility that many of the loyal fans will be tired of the game soon after release but that the standalone is not large enough of a step up to hold many new players. DayZ's reputation at the moment is; "It's great but it's too buggy. I'll wait for the retail version". Releasing it in an alpha state may backfire. So I think the concern that some people have is that although the game may sell well it might not maintain a noteworthy number of concurrent players into the following years.

• Like 1

....GPS should not work anymore !

You raise an interesting point, one of which I have looked into, the satellites are built to last ten years so let's say up to roughly four years after an apocalypse you could still be receiving a civilian GPS signal, this is only from the US DoD satellites, after the completion of Galileo by the EU, that could be expanded upon greatly. I'd also presume that the US military had back up satellites which broadcasted only the military GPS signal.

What is fairly time dependent is the space drift of the satellites, each time the satellite passes a monitoring station, the current monitoring stations are; Hawaii, Ascension island, Diego Garcia, Kwajalein and Colorado Springs. From the little I can find out about these stations, it requires very little human interaction to make the minor corrections for drifting and all of that is automatically done by the computers, then you have to ask how long would these stations last?.

The mains power would go fairly quickly as we have already discussed however surely being US military installations they will have a back up plan that will ensure the system continues to run for a fairly prolonged period. So I'd hazard a slightly educated guess that the GPS system without Galileo completion would last months possibly a year or so before it became useless. I'd love for someone to come and give more information on the matter, PS if your from NASA/US Space Command you can also help me with my KSP rockets.

• Like 5

Hey Matt

https://de.wikipedia...gationssatellit sorry this is german only you have to use google translator

http://en.wikipedia....erations_Centre

there are 4 avaible satelites required for GPS to work properly and there are constantly 25 -20 GPS satelites in orbit. BUT the satelites require the ground control centers for constantly and precise course calculation and other adjustments, especially since all the so called space junk is a constant threat. Now imagine that most of the other satelites ( telecomunication, etc) would be also out of control....I am pretty sure that the whole system would collapse pretty soon.At least after a few months...

cheers

Edit :

would be cool to simulate that some satelites are broken so that you can use GPS in special timeframes only

Edited by Private Evans

Edit :

would be cool to simulate that some satelites are broken so that you can use GPS in special timeframes only

I like that idea! But I think ultimately (just reading what you guys have written), it would make more sense if there was no GPS. The infrastructure required to run it just seems like it wouldn't exist.