rocket

DayZ Devblog 22nd February 2013

hello,

In the last thread

We can read:

We just want to have the architecture working with some base level assets – and then we want to iterate on that, much like Minecraft did. I think it’s going to be 12 months before we have something we can sit back on and say, we’re really happy with this. From there, maybe we do the occasional content update. But I’m hoping around the end of next year, we’ll be able to sit back and say we’re really happy with it – DayZ is where we need it to be. And that would be the time, if there was going to be a box release, that’s when we’d see it.

WTF!!!?? it means: 1 year late?

the standelone Coming soon or we will wait 1 year in this forum??

Did you watch the end of the video? Go watch the last thing Rocket says.

• Like 1

Awesome, only the music in the vid is too loud... when the speech is low its annoying to try to hear it behind the screeking and scratching.

• Like 1

The standelone Coming soon or we will wait 1 year in this forum??

He (Dean) means that the "alpha" (or whatever it will be called) will be released soon (when its ready), and then we should expect it to take about a year from that alpha release for DayZ to be completed to a level where they will "sit back and be happy with it." Correct me if Im wrong :P.

As for the blog, it was very entertaining and great to meet some of the folks who are working on dayZ. As fun as doing mocap looks IMO you should seriously consider hiring some professional actors for a day or two :).

Edited by Hoik
  • Like 1

Sure the blog is hilarious but I think many people aren't actually listening to the things we're saying. There is a ton of new info about the development in among the hi-jinks.

• Like 18

As fun as doing mocap looks IMO you should seriously consider hiring some professional actors for a day or two :).

Remember he said this is the first of many sessions. It looks to me like they want to use this session to perfect their animation techniques. Also, I'm not sure how a paid actor would dry-hump eat a corpse better than that :)

(ninja'd by Rocket, soz, I'll get off your thread)

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 3

Remember he said this is the first of many sessions. It looks to me like they want to use this session to perfect their animation techniques. Also, I'm not sure how a paid actor would dry-hump eat a corpse better than that :)

Also, there is a big difference between what is captured and what ends up in game. The captured motion is run through a special program that turns it into a rough animation, bound to a skeleton. That is then cleaned up (most often very heavily) by the animators. Then, the animations need to be very specific to achieve specific effects. I've only been a mocap actor twice before, so I'm not experienced at all. But I knew exactly what was needed and how the animations would be implemented in the code.

In terms of experience, Stepan is the most experienced person in the world for mocap in the VBS engine.

• Like 3

Sure the blog is hilarious but I think many people aren't actually listening to the things we're saying. There is a ton of new info about the development in among the hi-jinks.

o i guess i got distracted because of your humping skills hehe. not it's just criticizing on a very very high level. you know we appreciate all things that leave your mouths.

AND this video does not answer, if there'll be the crimean sparkling wine implemented so that's why i am slightly dissatisfied ;)

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

The most important thing that I've heard is that "it will be done when it's done" © Rocket. And dat smile on Rocket's face lol :) I know this guy is creating something, something that was never done before in the gaming world, a truly amazing game. Where else in the world would you find a more community involved developer than Rocket? Nowhere! Great job guys!

Edited by osallivan
  • Like 1

I heard the 3-state thing, I think it's awesome. Just what I wanted.

And the attack animations are looking good too, better than the seizure-punch that's currently in the mod :D

I'm guessing you made the attacks for players that are lying down and then players that are standing.

• Like 2

I did note it was first of many mocap sessions, just from a total noobish (meaning I really have no insight into this) perspective I'd think that hiring some actors would actually make the proccess faster, even if the "quality" of the end animations is not necessarily determined by the mocap preformance. Plus it would look good on a promo!

Anyway, thanks for the update - cant wait!

Also, will zombies be able to climb over fences and such?

EDIT: Ragdoll death confirmed!?

Edited by Hoik
  • Like 1

This video is terrible...

Terrible at sucking!

Great work, always good to see what's going on behind the scenes

Aw man, the second lunchtime rolls round, I'm all over this video.

Woke up to this, and genuinely got so outrageously excited:

0zk5IE6.jpg

• Like 1

I laughed several times while watching the video and I really like the introduction of the team members. After having watched super produced dev videos for AAA titles, it's awesome to see something that looks candid and not staged by a commercial director.

Loved the real time editing part the most, instead of cutting for a second take, just turn the camera away for a second and then continue.

More than walking away with tonnes of new information, it's nice to see you guys working and having fun while doing it.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 6

I agree with Dallas, it is really good to see a company that enjoys their work.

Reminds me of bungie :)

I'd like to know how broad the range of animations will be in SA.

Any chance of some information on the number of animations being recorded for each zombie variant? How many zombie types?

Again, agree with Dallas. It's really nice to meet the team like that, it's what I like about the community, meeting the people behind the scenes who do the actual work.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: keep up the good work chaps :thumbsup:

Watching this for the first time I also started to think about the music/soundtrack that will be used. I'd be really interested to know how you are approaching that.

Edited by philbottle
  • Like 1

The most important thing to notice in the devblog:

Pooping has been confirmed. Be prepared to get caught with your pants down. Literally.

Edited by TheSodesa
  • Like 4

Just woke up and I was not expecting a new blog so early :) good job guys!

cant' wait to see all those amazing anims in the game!

• Like 1

Watching this for the first time I also started to think about the music/soundtrack that will be used. I'd be really interested to know how you are approaching that.

I play games like DayZ and Left 4 Dead with the music turned off. Don't want to get distracted by it.