rocket

DayZ Devblog 22nd February 2013

It was mentioned here (around the time Martin Michalik gets in on the chips :) ):

Edited by Hoik

So September it is!

I just can't see this coming sooner.

I loved the video but this is like an early stage development for me! I just hope this game won't turn in to some Aliens Colonial Marines or Duke Nukem Forever fiasco.

So September it is!

I've not watched the video yet, but I'm going to go ahead and assume that you've literally nil to base that on.

I've not watched the video yet, but I'm going to go ahead and assume that you've literally nil to base that on.

Well i am no game developer or something like that ,but creating a rag doll models of zombie movements and players character is on my opinion as said above in the aerly stages in the game.

It will be done when it's done......now where have i heard that before?! Ah yeah Diablo III,and how long was that in development?

Well i am no game developer or something like that ,but creating a rag doll models of zombie movements and players character is on my opinion as said above in the aerly stages in the game.

You've contradicted yourself? You can't have an opinion on the processes and ordering of game development if you're not a games developer? Anything said after admitting that is sheer speculation.

It will be done when it's done......now where have i heard that before?! Ah yeah Diablo III,and how long was that in development?

I did not follow the development of Diablo III. What I have been following keenly is the development of the DayZ mod, and now the Standalone. The PR has been fantastic and development has been openly discussed with all the players. I think you should probably put a bit more faith into the people who have delivered a fantastic mod thus far.

Edited by mzltv
  • Like 1

DayZ will release as an Alpha product, and have a year of development (at least). In return for customers participating in the product early, they will get it cheaper that those who purchase it later.

Ragdoll is not planned for release. It is planned for later implementation.

• Like 12

DayZ will release as an Alpha product, and have a year of development (at least). In return for customers participating in the product early, they will get it cheaper that those who purchase it later.

Ragdoll is not planned for release. It is planned for later implementation.

by ragdoll you mean an improved physic system for the whole game world (havoc) or just implementing ragdoll anims for death animations and stuff ?

Edited by Private Evans
  • Like 1

by ragdoll you mean an improved physic system for the whole game world (havoc) or just implementing ragdoll anims for death animations and stuff ?

The latter.

• Like 1

like stepan kment said, rocket is an extraordinary guy so dayz developement is, too ;)

hard to compare dayz developement with other games.

except minecraft and other indie titles you can play before its final.

ragdoll physics may come later, as said its a long term goal.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS FUCK YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

i feel like i have to watch 28 days later again^^

walking like a zombie to the next video shop :lol:

Well I was really hoping to see Matt's svelte body in that skin tight mocap suit but wow what an awesome behind the scenes look. I agree with what others said about the team being candid and open it really gave the video a personal feel. Great job!

Rocket I hope you at least took that bag out to dinner after having your way with it. ;)

..then not desperately needed...

Not essential, but you know it'll make all the difference.

Video was a bit boring but i'm grateful for it regardless. Sort of disappointed the crawling hopping zombies are still in SA too.

• Like 2

Awesome! This has satisfied my weekly fix!

Kudos! :beans: :beans:

Well, scratch the april deadline I guess.

But it doesn't matter for me. The longer it takes, the better it gets.

I would really like some simple physics on smaller props inside building, such as chairs and tables. There are these blue barrels that you can knock about the place in ArmA (haven't really taken notice if they are in dayz) so it is already possible.

I don't have a problem with the crawlers or hoppers, it would be great for atmosphere to have zombies with missing legs or even half their torso dragging themselves around the place!

Video was a bit boring but i'm grateful for it regardless. Sort of disappointed the crawling hopping zombies are still in SA too.

Boring?!!?!!?!?!?!

It had tunes, information, Rocket humping a cushion, Matt playing Farmville in the background, the list goes on.

• Like 11

Rocket humping a cushion

What I love about it, is that if anyone out-the-loop walked in, they genuinely would think Dean was trying to bum a cushion.

Video was very organic, which is positive. You can see everyone there is enthusiastic and switched on, which really helps give off a good vibe about the project.

It was good to see the mocap team as well. It's really interesting to hear them speak passionately about their jobs and it came off really well. From what I saw, they aren't used to appearing in videos, which was a plus as they spoke in a very human way, rather than coming across like some kind of rock-star wannabee (see Pitchford et all).

Sneakily, I like this as BI are not very good (personable) in general at public relations imo, and this sort of thing can help push them forward with playerbase interaction.

Re the skeletons: From what I read previously, the zombies are to have a simpler skeleton, to help with FPS issues. Will the players have this skeleton too, or will it be different to enable deeper interaction with the environment?

Noted some footage in there of zombies being shot (falling over) - will these be put in the game as are, or is it for integration with the rumoured ragdoll engine? I ask because I thought with ragdoll on death, the animations cease and the ragdoll engine takes over. Maybe that's not how it works - I'm not too sure.

Also, no mocap for zombies climbing up stairs. Is this handled like it is currently in Arma 2 (where a staircase is effectively a hill).

Excellent video though, many thanks and don't crash those Lambos in that snow.

• Like 3

Boring?!!?!!?!?!?!

It had tunes, information, Rocket humping a cushion, Matt playing Farmville in the background, the list goes on.

I'm just miserable. ;)

• Like 1

rocket: "i started recording so this is all gonna be part of it"

matt: "YAAAAYYY"

:lol:

edit: btw: matt i like your voice and accent ^^

Edited by siew