rocket

DayZ Devblog 25 Jan 2013

| I would seriously love to see such an intro or cinematic launch trailer for DayZsa as well.

Why? Because it creates such an intense and incredibly sad atmosphere. It leaves you alone with the feeling of beeing completely lonely, a survivor in a post-apocalyptic world. With the question "Why should i fight any longer?"... and thats what DayZ is! Please do it.

Unlike the case of DI and DI2, I'm not afraid that the Standalone will become that astonishing bad, compared to the trailers.

p.s. Like the DayZ shortfilm as well... same atmosphere.

the trailer from dead island was also intense, having a little teardrop rolling down my cheek :´(

love it!

Edited by siew
  • Like 1

OMG OMGOMG ZOMBIE CHILDREN blood and everything I have to call someone.... you cant do that, its WRONG!... what?

Well, time to start bitching!

Edited by Zeppa
  • Like 1

OMG OMGOMG ZOMBIE CHILDREN blood and everything I have to call someone.... you cant do that, its WRONG!... what?

Well, time to start bitching!

I shall phone batman! He will come fix it Edited by Toxiclegend
  • Like 3

the trailer from dead island was also intense, having a little teardrop rolling down my cheek :´(

love it!

Know that one as well. Definitely good work too, especially the music which is better than the Trailer-OST in the Riptide Trailer. :)

... but I don't like the artificial facial expression of the girl which destroys the atmosphere.

Happy to see that I'm not the only one thinking this way!

• Like 1

I shall phone batman! He will come fix it

no no..

Who you gonna call!?

GHOSTBUSTERS!

I bet you didnt see that one coming hu!?

And going to sleep now.

• Like 1

a zombie apocalypse it such a horrible thing... every bandit should rethink his/her behavior ;)

mankind should stay together ;)

cant wait to share my beans and water with all of you ;)

• Like 3

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I've read somewhere the clouds IRL move in one direction because the wind doesnt change at those altitude.

You are wrong. Parts of the world have different prevailing weather which is the direction the weather generally comes from but different weather systems can affect this greatly. I think you're thinking of the jet-stream.

I know a weather guru will now arrive and make me look silly.

Edited by Fraggle

a zombie apocalypse it such a horrible thing... every bandit should rethink his/her behavior ;)

of course you will share your beans with us...and your boots...

You are wrong. Parts of the world have different prevailing weather which is the direction the weather generally comes from but different weather systems can affect this greatly. I think you're thinking of the jet-stream.

I'm no guru but I will agree with you. the atmosphere isn't fixed to the earth but it's movements are effected by the high and love preasure on earth, which is also created by the hot air leaving the earth, I think.

no no..

Who you gonna call!?

GHOSTBUSTERS!

I bet you didnt see that one coming hu!?

And going to sleep now.

OH NOEZ! Please don't call them! I never actually saw that coming. B)

Edited by Toxiclegend
  • Like 3

of course you will share your beans with us...and your boots...

you cant have my boots of course...

but if you are hungry, thirsty or need medicine i will help you...

im always friendly as long as you are not threat ;)

whats your problem, cant believe in humanity? ;)

• Like 2

Siew, you're a star mate. Respect. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Yep. Lots of locations have prevailing winds (usually the oceans) but this doesn't mean the wind always comes from that direction.

I used to work out bush a lot and i was never told to look to the clouds for east-west. The fact there weren't any clouds was beside the point.

I am not a weather guru.

Why did nobody tell me this??

I've been doing that bloody thing with a watch and a shadow when I lacked a compass... Goddamnit!

I feel your pain Max. Felt like a right tool when I read that.

How did you two ever make it onto the map back when we used to commonly spawn off map in the wilderness ?

Dead island sure does know how to make an amazing trailer, unfortunately... the game just isn't great.

Edited by Victus Mortuus

There are several "layers" of wind depending on the level of altitude. I know for sure, I've been swept by them several times jumping out of airplanes... different directions of wind can exist several hundred feet on top and under one another. I've been pushed hard to the right, and 10 seconds later, completely taken the other direction by the wind, this is about 500-800 feet up.

The cloud movement in the sky, even if the ceiling at that time is only 300ft, or 1200ft or even higher, in general has nothing to do with the wind direction on the ground.

The ground wind can be effected by a lot of unaccounted matters by most people. A given example of a cross wind is a city... I might have a strong W-E wind (wind blowing from the west, to my east) but because of the city buildings within the city the wind direction can change drastically, if you could almost image water filling into the city it makes it easier to understand. A few intersections north I could have a strong N-E wind blowing because of this flow. Now that we've taken that into account - lets think of the drastic, larger scale wind changes that could be forced into the area based off tree lines, valleys, mountains, ridges, saddles, cliffs, and even spurs... just to name some. All of which could have their own little take on changing up the wind...

Edited by FinKone
  • Like 2

How did you two ever make it onto the map back when we used to commonly spawn off map in the wilderness ?

Am I the only person that have played this since may and never needed to run out of debug wilderness?

speaking of cities, dayz stand alone could have 1 big metropolis (liek 3-4 times the size of elektro with glass skyscrapers righ in the middle of chernarus, and a highway next to it like taviana.

i would love the contrast of open fields/small villages and a big city in which is hard to tell if people are coming in it or not.

well one can dream.

There are several "layers" of wind depending on the level of altitude. I know for sure, I've been swept by them several times jumping out of airplanes... different directions of wind can exist several hundred feet on top and under one another. I've been pushed hard to the right, and 10 seconds later, completely taken the other direction by the wind, this is about 500-800 feet up.

Yep, once I researched how the hell Hot Air Balloons could be a reliable way of transportation if you cannot move it left or right front or backwards at will.... and it appears that you can control the direction of the balloon by the altitude.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/transport/flight/modern/hot-air-balloon2.htm

To maneuver the balloon horizontally, the pilot ascends or descends in altitude, catching different wind currents.

Of course, even the most experienced pilot doesn't have complete control over the balloon's flight path. Usually, wind conditions give the pilot very few options. Consequently, you can't really pilot a hot air balloon along an exact course. And it's very rare that you would be able to pilot the balloon back to your starting point. So, unlike flying an airplane, hot air balloon piloting is largely improvised, moment to moment. For this reason, some members of a hot air balloon crew have to stay on the ground, following the balloon by car to see where it lands. Then, they can be there to collect the passengers and equipment.

Am I the only person that have played this since may and never needed to run out of debug wilderness?

Nope, same here. Never saw the debug forest/plains.

I think it is somehow karma based, or maybe it's our good looks causing it.

You and me, Jimmy. We're the best.

• Like 2

Its quite entertaining reading the lenghs people will go to to try and explain something as simple as wind/cloud direction.

Proof that the standalone needs to be released sooner rather than later, if only to save the minds of the few......

• Like 5

Proof that the standalone needs to be released sooner rather than later, if only to save the minds of the few......

I think if the SA was out then nobody would have time to even look at the forums, We'd all be discussing it in Voice over chat instead, all huddled around some camp fires cooking some food, having a drink or two discussing how wind direction works :P

• Like 2

in reference to the first comparison shots are there any performance differences rendering wise?, will it be more/less taxing on the graphics card?

Nope, same here. Never saw the debug forest/plains.

I think it is somehow karma based, or maybe it's our good looks causing it.

You and me, Jimmy. We're the best.

Good looks ? I should have spawned at NW field with a coyote and an as50 then ;)

The very first time me and a mate spawned in we were like..wtf..no trees ? A random direction choice and him following my golden flowing locks and we found first one tree and then another.. and soon more until we saw a whole forest..it was quite a gaming moment :D

in reference to the first comparison shots are there any performance differences rendering wise?, will it be more/less taxing on the graphics card?

I think what the are saying is it will be better optimized because Arma 2 is CPU heavy, so I think with what they are taking out it'll help slightly but remember they've added a bunch more stuff in aswell. I will repeat what most people have already said that if you can run Take on Helicopters and DayZ already then people are pretty sure you can run the SA