rocket

DayZ Devblog 25 Jan 2013

What I was wondering was this...If Valve and the L4D devs are advising them and helping them set up the Steam side of things, is there a chance that they are also being helped with stuff like infected path finding, AI path finding, animations, gibbing zombies, melee combat...chainsaws...

That could be pretty awesome. Even if they aren't helping them to that extent, having the people behind l4d helping you has to be a good thing! ;)

Honestly, I don't think valve has anything to teach the guys at bohemia interactive in terms of programming. (EDIT : they have the guy behind the original OFP code in charge of DayZ)

But in the end, you're kinda right everyone has its own and different expertise.

Keep in mind L4D is just a basic shooter in very small corridors, which allow them to have nice zombies and gore because there's really not much happening behind the scenes.

DayZ is just the opposite.

Edited by Bat
  • Like 3

Friday is here ....... Dayz Devblog here I come with F5 smashing ....

Cant wait. Bring em on guys.

Aim higher.

Friday is here ....... Dayz Devblog here I come with F5 smashing ....

My F5 button broke last friday, I think after this friday I'll need a new left click for my mouse =[ good job I can spam refresh on my phone, until that breaks the friday after xD

My F5 button broke last friday, I think after this friday I'll need a new left click for my mouse =[ good job I can spam refresh on my phone, until that breaks the friday after xD

Good work lol

Any idea what time these dev blogs come out?? :)

Also is this where to mash F5?

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/

Edited by concretec0w

Good work lol

Yes that's correct link. The last update was posted at "Jan 25 2013 06:16 PM" ... so we still have 5.5 hours to go .. unless rocket release it sooner.

I would like to know about security measures taken for the standalone.

Right now hackers are roaming free destroying servers...will the new standalone have some proper antihack measures taken ?

Thanks

I would like to know about security measures taken for the standalone.

Right now hackers are roaming free destroying servers...will the new standalone have some proper antihack measures taken ?

Thanks

"New Server Architecture

Our lead programmer, Ondřej Španěl, continues his work on redeveloping our server architecture. Contrary to some who say DayZ will be releasing with no anti-hack mechanisms, one of the key things we are doing with development is entirely redeveloping how the engine works. I can’t stress enough just how fundamental this change is. DayZ’s game servers will function like servers in other MMO style games, that is the server will control the behavior and the sending of updates. No longer will your machine receive all the updates allowing their analysis by various cheats."

So yes, pretty much everything will be server side controlled.

Edited by root`
  • Like 1

Good work lol

Yeah that is the correct link, if you have twitter you can also keep an eye out for a tweet. He will more than likely announce the update news on twitter just after the blog has been updated. Well I might last a few weeks longer before my keyboard falls apart because I can still use CTRL + R aswell so looks like I'll need a new Zboard soon =[

"New Server Architecture

Our lead programmer, Ondřej Španěl, continues his work on redeveloping our server architecture. Contrary to some who say DayZ will be releasing with no anti-hack mechanisms, one of the key things we are doing with development is entirely redeveloping how the engine works. I can’t stress enough just how fundamental this change is. DayZ’s game servers will function like servers in other MMO style games, that is the server will control the behavior and the sending of updates. No longer will your machine receive all the updates allowing their analysis by various cheats."

So yes, pretty much everything will be server side controlled.

Yes you are correct, everything is controlled by the server and that is sent out the the hives and then to us, I believe that is how it's going to work. By doing this the users will not get access to information allowed them to cheat and hack which will be a good thing :) Like Rocket said though you can never stop hackers they will find a way they always do, but I guess when that issue comes about they will find a way to fix it I'm sure :)

By doing this the users will not get access to information allowed them to cheat and hack which will be a good thing :) Like Rocket said though you can never stop hackers

Thats because whilst the server will remove most of the data from the client, the client will still be updated with some data albeit much less than before. For example, in the mod the client is given data (or is able to obtain it with a script) so it knows where every other player is in the map (I think) so anyone hacking the client or intercepting the data knows the same. That will now be removed and that data will be kept on the server, but the client will still have to know about the person hiding behind the wall you are walking towards so that data will also be available to client hacks.

So in summary, server side architecture helps to reduce hacking, but it won't remove it completely. Thats why other methods are needed aswell.

Edited by M_B

We'd all be discussing it in Voice over chat instead, all huddled around some camp fires cooking some food, having a drink or two discussing how wind direction works :P

Lol, I WISH that this would actually happen. They should make camp fires more active in the game. Add guitars or some form of instrument so you can play a song and it calms the nerves of other players for some benefit to them. Not really sure what, but i'm sure they could figure something out.

Edited by twinturbonet
  • Like 1

Add guitars or some form of instrument so you can play a song and it calms the nerves of other players for some benefit to them. Not really sure what, but i'm sure they could figure something out.

Like in the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. <3

• Like 4

Is there some kinda' place that brings all of Rocket's "feeds" into one? I mean, I have trouble keeping up with this forum... much less Reddit posts.

Lol, I WISH that this would actually happen. They should make camp fires more active in the game. Add guitars or some form of instrument so you can play a song and it calms the nerves of other players for some benefit to them. Not really sure what, but i'm sure they could figure something out.

Haha, well when the SA comes out you could always try and find me I'll see if I can organise a camp fire night ;P

Is there some kinda' place that brings all of Rocket's "feeds" into one? I mean, I have trouble keeping up with this forum... much less Reddit posts.

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/ everything gets updated onto there. So keep looking to see if it's been updated.

Oh you made me remember the good ol' times when I used to play Lord of the Rings Online (still a great MMO btw) and you could use instruments to play music.

What does that lead to?

Player bands and lots of unpredicted events when people gather to play and hear.... so fun!

Edited by Guest

Haha reminds me of one time that I pull out my miked up acoustic guitar in direct communication eating beans around the fire with a couple of friends . I was worried of getting shot while playing tho :D

Looks like the dev blogs been delayed till Monday, according to Deans twitter! :(

But he said that he will add a video! I can wait for that

But he said that he will add a video! I can wait for that

I understand that he wanted to take some videos but now it won't happen until Monday.

I understand that he wanted to take some videos but now it won't happen until Monday.

Damn seems that I only have read video and my brain switched off :D

But maybe he will show us the video that would be nice.

Edited by Inexorabilis

Haha, well when the SA comes out you could always try and find me I'll see if I can organise a camp fire night ;P

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/ everything gets updated onto there. So keep looking to see if it's been updated.

Thanks, but the tumblr posts are pretty sparse. I'm speaking of the relatively even flow of stuff that Rocket puts out via Reddit and other sources, he's well known for having a diverse method of broadcasting information, much to the chagrin of people who simply follow the forums. Nothing wrong with it, just makes it difficult to follow the myriad of avenues he uses to release information. I understand the tumlbr posts are the most informative, but between his twitter, reddit, videos, etc... it's tough to keep track.

Thanks, but the tumblr posts are pretty sparse. I'm speaking of the relatively even flow of stuff that Rocket puts out via Reddit and other sources, he's well known for having a diverse method of broadcasting information, much to the chagrin of people who simply follow the forums. Nothing wrong with it, just makes it difficult to follow the myriad of avenues he uses to release information. I understand the tumlbr posts are the most informative, but between his twitter, reddit, videos, etc... it's tough to keep track.

I agree, although twitter and reddit are gonna be the two most active sources of informations, like he announced that the friday update will be delayed until monday. I'm gutted by it's saved my keyboard taking another thrashing if only for now :P I really hope we get to a video with some gameplay footage I am quite looking forward to monday now