rocket

A not-announcement announcement for the forums!

What attitude? Its letters on a forum. The only problem here is im not going with the flow of praise towards Rocket. I for one feel that this PR nightmare of his could have been handled way better than it was.

What else is problematic? That i could not care less about Rocket and his personal feelings? Im not here for celebs, im here to get info on the game. Is it too much to expect actual info on that instead of a post in the shape of "im on an airport nao"

I do agree with you on one point - things change. Dayz changed from beeing an amateur mod to an actual payable game. With that the attitude towards it needs to change, things need to take more serously and situations like this PR thing should not happen.

Calling this a PR nightmare tells me you don't know what a PR nightmare is. A PR nightmare is having your released game removed from steam after 24 hours and being called a scam. What this is is a small group of people upset that the announcement wasn't what they wanted to hear. The majority are totally satisfied with what was said.

Edited by Mr Nasty
  • Like 3

I'm glad of Rocket's post. Should it have been a bit sooner? Yes, in my opinion. Did it need to contain more "info" on the SA? No, not really. I'd rather have more info a week or two down the line once the dev's have been back at work for a bit and are in their stride again.

I would like to have a weekly/bi weekly update though, even if there is no real news.

Rgds

L

• Like 1

Lol Opeth you should have stayed away, nothings changed.

• Like 1

Rocket, take all the time you need to get the SA as you want it. The date doesnt care. Better waitin' for a great game instead of a buggy one! :)

I just don't get it. People complain about Rocket not posting then he does and people still complain. I want Stand Alone to come out as much as the next guy but I don't want it to be rushed and full of glitches and bugs. Rocket and his team can take as long as they like imo. The mod itself and the community keeps me coming back everyday.

DayZ was the game I dreamed about for a long time. It's amazing how Rocket's simple idea blew up like this. Much like how Minecraft started as something simple and is now one of the most popular games out there.

A lot of people need to understand that Rocket probably never imagined his mod would be turned into a game in less than a years time and that he's is doing his best to make sure Stand Alone is good.

• Like 3

Let me get this straight. Forums are for discussions. I posted my views on this "announcment", i get called out on it and i am to sit back, relax and leave it be because everyone else would rather have a 90 page topic of " we love you rocket, thank you for the update" type of comments. Because that is what we need here, moral support for the guy getting paid to not do what he was supposed to - which is post an actual game update, weeks ago. And yes i feel he was supposed to do that, he took it upon himself to keep us in the loop, with that he "took the job".

Why not just close the topic. Or better yet, just shut down the forum, replace it with a facebook type page where Rocket can drop a piece of info if he feels up to it and instead of a comment box just put up a big huge "Like, thumbs up" button. Would save all the hassle of moderating asshats like me who dare point out that the first contact with the games "daddy" and main PR guy is more of a personal status update than anything else.

This is a forum, forums are for discussions, i will defend my point of view if it is challenged.

• Like 3

Let me get this straight. Forums are for discussions. I posted my views on this "announcment", i get called out on it and i am to sit back, relax and leave it be because everyone else would rather have a 90 page topic of " we love you rocket, thank you for the update" type of comments. Because that is what we need here, moral support for the guy getting paid to not do what he was supposed to - which is post an actual game update, weeks ago. And yes i feel he was supposed to do that, he took it upon himself to keep us in the loop, with that he "took the job".

Why not just close the topic. Or better yet, just shut down the forum, replace it with a facebook type page where Rocket can drop a piece of info if he feels up to it and instead of a comment box just put up a big huge "Like, thumbs up" button. Would save all the hassle of moderating asshats like me who dare point out that the first contact with the games "daddy" and main PR guy is more of a personal status update than anything else.

This is a forum, forums are for discussions, i will defend my point of view if it is challenged.

Go through every announcement see if any posts are critical, because they are the reason you're being called is that you may be expressing your opinion but you're also re-iterating the same point in 8 posts, as the title suggests it doesn't specify it's a DayZ update its already been explained that if you want DayZ updates follow the blog.

if you want DayZ updates follow the blog.

Are you trolling or something?

• Like 1

Why so quiet, Rocket?

Kju (ArmA legend and DayZ team member) made a good point that I should really say something, linking me to the points made in http://dayzmod.com/f...-under-the-tree - So here I'm going to just sort of give a literal off the cuff not-announcement.

I'd taken a deliberate step away from the spotlight, particularly given the scandals that have gone on with things with the WarZ. I won't dwell on this issue, only to say that while gamers can tell the difference between the two products - many people can't and it became quite unpleasant for me when I became approached both in real-life and through the internet associating me with the War Z.

Meanwhile, development continued at an even greater pace with the entire project beginning to gel even more than before. I won't give any specifics here, I think the specifics should come with something that you can actually see/play and that will make much more sense. I'm currently in an airport lounge in Sydney, on the long journey back to the Czech Republic.

The year 2012

I can't really even begin to summarize what that year has been for Bohemia, the project, or for me - so I won't try. What I will do is thank everyone for being involved, for making something really amazing out of the idea I started with. There are thousands of people who have and are now directly involved in developing the mod, and it's really amazing for us all to see the wonderful user created content etc coming out. So thank you, to everyone. Because of everyone's support we're now "living the dream" and turning this basic idea into its own game. In fact, we've gone even further than I could ever have hoped... we're not only making the game, we're redoing the engine specifically for the game

Where is the game? Where is the Tumblr post?

Obviously they aren't there yet and I promised that. I also promised more contact, and then I disappeared off the face of the Earth. Now isn't really the time to get into all that, so all I am going to do is say that on all those account I failed and I'll deal to those in good time.

I'm really sorry that on those three counts I've failed, hopefully in time the reasons will all make some sense and the end product will justify all the madness of this year. Now is not the time for me to rush out a tumblr update, nor rush out a build. Both of those will, for the moment, need to wait - and both mean I didn't do what I said I would.

So... 2013?

Let me just say this:

Every progressive day during December, I have gotten more and more excited about the Standalone and it's potential. Each day the whole team is seeing the strength of the development and we're very pleased with how it has been progressing.

Thank you everyone for your support, and particularly, for your patience. Also a big thank you and shout out to the forum mods for their hard work.

We love you and i'm not worried about it. We got time.

Rockets must understand, that it isn't normal to abandon the community of his game. It's not a hater message, just a questionning... why he didn't post a message before the christmass week for saying that the release coming more later ? Now, he said that he will give more information, so we will waiting... but it's normal that the people don't happy, we are waiting for nothing. If he will doing that he said, all trouble will be disapear. The priority isn't that the SA will sale tomorrow on steam, but just, he give news... the lack of news had frustrated lot of people (and me too), we will just want to get more and more excited about the development , like he is...

Lesson first: The news is an addictive drug, if the community don't have, it become like a zombies... it isn't against him, it's an accumulated feeling.

In definitly, take your time for release a good game and give more news! nobody hates rockets, it's just we are very frustrat and in this topic the pression falls slowly.

(Sorry for my english, I hope you could understand what I wrote)

Are you trolling or something?

Let me add to that i should of been more clear, if you want specific DayZ SA updates only, look at the blog this forum is for the mod and other things not just SA announcements

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/

• Like 2

Like this is not even an annoucement. Its kinda a thread to troll people on . Seriously now we know hes gonna work on some tumblr and gives us some info about the games is getting closer and closer with some screenshots of in-game windows

Thats not the point. Seriously why make a thread like this if you give no informations at all. It was clearly better last night without that thread all we know is ya merry xmas break .. whos kinda obvious. Everyones need a break.

But now when you gonna see the next tumblr and if i see something like delayed bla bla bla. taking our time... fixing bugs.

and when its gonna be released i log in , If I see bunch of god damn retarded bugs im gonna be really mad. This game is better to be really solid because with all those delay i expect no more than perfection aka no retarded zombies , good vehicles , a real anticheat cause punkbuster takes 6 days to get bypass , more weapons less lags best servers , play with friends more easily and much much more. I can tell you if we all log in and find shits that are broken people are gonna play it 1 time and then stop. I know 3-4 games who had the same dev and 2 of them got delayed so much that people didnt buy it.

Exemple : Warz is probably a big piece of shit but atleast you can with friends. Dayz NEED THIS. going alone is so boring in dayz or when u play with a friend u start in balota and ur friend starts of @ west coast its kinda gg for the night.

sorry for my english not sure if you guys get my point. but yeah.

Edited by monkza

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Yes, you're entitled to your dissenting opinion towards the way Rocket's handling things. That doesn't mean anyone has to agree with it, no one has to like what you have to say, and they're just as entitled to tell you to shut up and be patient.

Happy new year Dean.

Now get back to the salt mines.

Oh and happy new years forum-people. I assume your Christmas presents got lost in the mail.

Great to hear something from Rocket. I'm sure there are a lot of things going on as he alludes to, and I guess the pressure not to say something is huge. I can handle the Game missed his deadline, not a problem at all. Things occur, somethings go wrong. BUT a simple post like he has done should have been done when he missed his deadline, not bury your head in the sand. People out of respect deserve at least that for there continued support of the project. If I had to hear one more time " Rocket deserves to spend Christmas with his Family in NZ" one more time I was gonna scream.

Keep up the great work Rocket and Team, BUT just make sure you give updates when they should be made ;)

• Like 2

I just don't get it. People complain about Rocket not posting then he does and people still complain.

He posted, but he didn't post any information. He "doesn't want to get into it". I'm sure he can dedicate one of his "thousands" of people "working" on SA to update the community on where things stand.

It's a rather shitty way to treat your community, this.

• Like 2

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

It's just he still didnt. This is teasing people, its not a game update, its a facebook style status update.

• Like 3

I'm glad to hear from Rocket, and I think we understood before as to why he wasn't in the spotlight. So I think it's a bit redundant, but appreciated.

I do have to side with the critics here, however, that I would have also appreciated a bit more of a status update on the standalone with specifics... rather than a general "we're working on it", which seems obvious. But, I'm sure we'll see that later on.

Edited by Katana67

When I opened this topic and saw a wall of text I was like "oh man finally, I've been checking this forum every day for over a month and now I get the update that I've been waiting for. I'm gonna read it slowly and carefully to be sure not to miss even the smallest detail about the game"

After I read it I was like "Is that it?" So I read it once again. And you know what? still didn't get any info I've been waiting for.

Don't get me wrong. I like rocket and I think he is very honest and all. I would just like to hear about the game. It's always nice to throw in some personal thoughts on things but as an addition to an actual game update and not as the only thing in the post.

What I'm saying is that myself (and many others) have been waiting for some actual game update. If we get some extra developer thoughts thrown into that's even better but we are here for the news about the game we love and not only Harlequin dilemmas.

Edited by MACtic
  • Like 1

We all want info about the game, that's what we all have in common. As I see it this post was intended just to let us know he's on his way back to BIS and we can expect more news. Yesterday there was a really long discussion about wanting better communication, I posted on it and agreed we need better communication. We now have that communication and can expect more now Rocket is going back to work.

I want specifics too, we all do. We just have to wait until they have specifics to give us.

Edited by Fraggle

( I hate posting under threads started by someone important, because i'm not looking for beans in a hot thread, but c'mon guys )

Personaly, I really wonder how many people complaining are actually kiddies who didn't get to play SA on winter break and will hold a grudge til the day they die.

DAYZ the game has the potential to be game of the year, I can't begin to imagine what it would be like to have every thing you do scrutinized by thousands of people.

It has nothing to do whether you are a fanboi or a hater. Common respect for the people working hard to deliver a product for us to enjoy. I think the people who are insanely upset need better priorities.

• Like 2

Rocket, can you please just give us a general idea of when it will be released? No one expects a specific date, but even the quarter it will be released would appease a lot of people, myself included. Everyone appreciates your and your team's hard work and devotion to the game, but it's getting very frustrating with "announcements" that don't tell us anything.

Thank you for putting quality first.

Hang in there. I know it has been an exciting and challenging 2012.

Looking forward to the initial release. Make us proud.

He posted, but he didn't post any information. He "doesn't want to get into it". I'm sure he can dedicate one of his "thousands" of people "working" on SA to update the community on where things stand.

It's a rather shitty way to treat your community, this.

He was talking about the mod. I'm glad the two spammers hit you with their beans. Sort of proves a different point.

There are thousands of people who have and are now directly involved in developing the mod, and it's really amazing for us all to see the wonderful user created content etc coming out.

• Like 1