rocket

A not-announcement announcement for the forums!

Take your time. The last thing we want is another Mass Effect 3 type fiasco.

ultimately people just didn't like the story. you can say that was because it was 'rushed', but they didn't change much with their 'fix'

I think some of these demanding internet movements hurt gaming. it just makes the industry scared to try anything new, because there might be this huge internet butthurt backlash of refund demands, and/or threats of 'boycott', etc. like people that paid for the alpha/beta release of WarZ, and then demanded a refund (prior to it being released on Steam as a 'finished product'). I'm sure people here had some fun with that when it was happening, even posting various 'guides' on how to get a refund, but ultimately that may have hurt what Rocket was trying to do

Wth? ME3 has nothing to do with DayZ. Get the hell out of this forum! That´s like the shit with warZ

Clearly you didn't read his post.

What i would like is him doing his job and keeping his word on updates, release info on the product, stuff that every other developer out there is doing for their own game.

There's never been an official release date, nor is he doing updates anymore. We've had enough games being released, even though they're not done yet. Why would anyone want this?

Also: Ever heard of Duke Nukem?

@ Preathor

have you played DayZ Mod, I would be interested to know if you appreciate the work that has already gone into it ?

Thanks.

• Like 1

There's never been an official release date, nor is he doing updates anymore. We've had enough games being released, even though they're not done yet. Why would anyone want this?

Also: Ever heard of Duke Nukem?

Way to take things out of the context.. care to read that paragraph again? Here you go: What i would like is him doing his job and keeping his word on updates, release info on the product, stuff that every other developer out there is doing for their own game. If all this has proven too much for him to do on his own- hire a PR guy to do it for you.

Instead he just closed himself off and stopped posting all together.. and who else was doing these updates if not him? And on the release date - quoting rockets "it has to be done by december" - i would call that a release date. He is the lead designer, The game is his baby. If he drops something like that it will and has been undersood as a release date. And with that we are back to the previous point - a PR guy would not let something like that slip and cause people to think of it as a release date.

And @Boneboys: Yes i have and still do play the DayZ mod. I realise the amount of work and the importance of it for the entire gaming community. However I fail to understand what that has to do with anything here? The source of frustration is how poorly the PR around DayZ SA was and is beeing handled. Dayz SA is now a real game. Made to make money. Rocket no longer matters, his personal life no longer matters. Call me a bad person for stating that but i really do not need to know how he's doing, my interest is in what he is (or will be) selling, all i need to know about him or his company is where to leave the money for his product. Not his feelings or accomplishments for the gaming comunity.

Still having a blast with 1.7.4.4 and 1.7.5 looks like a brand new game already, so no stress, no rush rocket. StandAlone can wait as long as it deliver!

• Like 1

Thanks for your feedback Preathor. When Rocket gets back to his office he'll be reading all of the posts so you've made your point and been heard. Please don't use this thread for a long-winded debate about the past few weeks.

For a full discussion on the points you've raised feel free to open your own thread where it can be discussed at length, this is not the place to do it. You've made your point, it would be a shame for this thread to be hijacked, time to let others speak now.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 7

@Preathor,

Video games spawn a community, a community is built together with individuals and those individuals have personal lives. When people who do Let's Plays on YouTube and make a point of being that one person to watch for whatever game the fans would like to know more about the person behind the voice and gameplay. When Rocket created his mod and it became popular people wanted to know more about the developer. If anything your forgetting what a community is about. People talk about their personal lives on this forum and other people respond because we know what it means to have a community. I'm not saying you should join us and "suck up" to Rocket, but every single game/mod has a community and in cases like this a celebrity is born. WE want to hear from Rocket, not some guy that is going to put up simple posts on Twitter, Facebook w/e social media site saying "Good day in the developing department!" or "Hey it's raining here, LIKE THIS if it's raining where you are!". I like posts from the man himself who is the creator of this mod and community. Show some compassion for another human being. There are some cases where everything isn't going to be all professional and business like.

Lastly, good to hear from you Rocket. Hope all adventures in the future are nothing more than climbing a pitcher's mound. I would think that you should keep specifics about development on the hush hush with this whole War Z thing. I think what the community would like to hear from you is that you got maybe some things done on the engine, or the character builds are coming well, fixed some major glitches that caused the characters to break their legs between a tree and a UAZ (had that happen to me yesterday on the mod, which then killed me haha). Just little updates like that will go a long way maybe something like every other week, just a paragraph or a short outline or hell even a few sentences. That is all that I hope for, but for the community I don't know if that is enough, but something is better than nothing!

That's all...

-Tom

P.S. Sorry moderators, this has just really upset me to my core and I had to say something...just unbelievable...

Edited by TomCei

Way to take things out of the context.. care to read that paragraph again? Here you go: What i would like is him doing his job and keeping his word on updates, release info on the product, stuff that every other developer out there is doing for their own game. If all this has proven too much for him to do on his own- hire a PR guy to do it for you.

Instead he just closed himself off and stopped posting all together.. and who else was doing these updates if not him? And on the release date - quoting rockets "it has to be done by december" - i would call that a release date. He is the lead designer, The game is his baby. If he drops something like that it will and has been undersood as a release date. And with that we are back to the previous point - a PR guy would not let something like that slip and cause people to think of it as a release date.

I may have gotten that wrong, even though it's not your right to say he's got to do this, because he's done everything else so far on his own. It's okay to say, that it'd be better to have more PR.

But they don't have to do this, have they? The DayZ-community is already big enough for a start and it's up to BI, if they want to spread more infos about a game that hasn't got an official release date yet, as it's even starting in betatest.

But I think, I'll follow Fraggles suggestion not to take this too far.

I can wait longer for the standalone take your time rocket!

• Like 1

Don't worry about it rocket mate. Some of the greatest games ever made took up to 10 years of development ! What you and the team have achieved in just 8 months is massive. Invented a whole new genre

(and i think even a new era) in video games. Give yourself a big pat on the back and have a sneaky whisky or something. You more than earned it :)

• Like 5

I think Rocket personality is important to DayZ.

Been a gamer since my commodore and spectrum and honesty and communication in gaming is always refreshing, the amount of times ive seen games ruined because the companies rushed them, were greedy and added in/took out features that ruined games, were lazy and uncreative, or just didn't communicate with the gamers at all is a joke. Rocket is a game making champion in my book that needs full support.

I hope he makes a ton of money as long as he keeps his principles.

Edited by L1CKEYSPL1T

Thanks for the update Rocket!

I'm sure the standalone will be well worth the wait, and I'm sure the majority of your player base will understand the need to only release it when you have a quality base to work from.

This should be even more apparent since the whole thing with the rip-off game.

@Praethor

You have some serious issues with people skills don't you?

Even if you are dissapointed by the lack of communication or the delays in standalone release (which might be partially justified since we are talking about emotions here) there is no way your attitude and reaction is justified.

From what we hear development changed from a streamlined mod in a standalone package to a full fledged game (hopefully with all the benefits that come with that).

Seems to me that we are getting a lot more than was originally planned so I don't see any reason to go mental like that.

things change, adapt or die

Really? Deleting posts?

I was told to shut up and i was about to drop it.. Now what? Are you going to start banning people for saying things you dont want to hear? This is the latest announcment thread, the points i was babbling about were that the "announcmet" given is not enough or barely relevant to the game. Problem?

I guess it is a problem since all you want here is back patting and praise singing to Rocket.

• Like 5

As Rocket has made (the mod) and is making (the game) i have always wanted to play but no other games company seemed to want to.

I thank you for that Rocket and even if it takes till 2014 (which im sure it wont), I will, and am sure the rest of us will too, be happy to wait for a game that so far has taken my whole gaming life to be made.

Heck ive bought virtually all BI's games just cos i think you guys charge way too little for such an awesome game/project.

Have persuaded serveral of my friends to buy Arma2 too, heck and even got me girlfriend playing too :)

Happy 2013 to you Rocket and the rest of the Arma/Dayz community, and all those at BI.

And especially to Ivan and Martin, Hope they home soon.

Everytime i read a post from Rocket and get to the bottom of hes post and see the signature picture of Ivan and Martin still held in a greek jail it brings it home how unimportant Dayz release date is compared to that.

Edited by jaytmuk

Even if you are dissapointed by the lack of communication or the delays in standalone release (which might be partially justified since we are talking about emotions here) there is no way your attitude and reaction is justified.

What attitude? Its letters on a forum. The only problem here is im not going with the flow of praise towards Rocket. I for one feel that this PR nightmare of his could have been handled way better than it was.

What else is problematic? That i could not care less about Rocket and his personal feelings? Im not here for celebs, im here to get info on the game. Is it too much to expect actual info on that instead of a post in the shape of "im on an airport nao"

I do agree with you on one point - things change. Dayz changed from beeing an amateur mod to an actual payable game. With that the attitude towards it needs to change, things need to take more serously and situations like this PR thing should not happen.

• Like 1

Really? Deleting posts?

I was told to shut up and i was about to drop it.. Now what? Are you going to start banning people for saying things you dont want to hear? This is the latest announcment thread, the points i was babbling about were that the "announcmet" given is not enough or barely relevant to the game. Problem?

I guess it is a problem since all you want here is back patting and praise singing to Rocket.

This is "normal" situation on this forums, i think they brought mods from WarZ forums.

Basically it looks like everyone is praising Rocket and devs, just because those "other" posts are disappearing.

Edited by zaiks
  • Like 1

Why so quiet, Rocket?

Oh right, I'm supposed to be talking to my customers.

I've been hiding because of the War Z thing, but I won't get into that.

Things are going well, but I won't get into that. I'm going back to the Czech Republic.

The year 2012

I can't really even begin to summarize - so I won't try. Thanks, those involved.

Where is the game? Where is the Tumblr post?

I promised more contact, but let's not get into that.

I didn't keep my promises/assertions.

So... 2013?

Let me just say this:

I'm real excited.

Thank you everyone for your support, and particularly, for your patience, cause that's all I have left.

No, Rocket, why don't we get into that? I'd have more respect for you/not lose any more if you told us exactly where development is, since you know, we've been sitting around waiting (in a lot of cases) since the end of summer. I'd personally like to get into that, in gory detail. Where have you failed, what have you done, and where are you at. What is left for the initial build? Where's the new projected (flexible) release date?

And don't go making another post bitching about how you're "depressed" or "don't know if you want to be in the industry anymore". If you want to back out, go. Git. Pass the torch to someone who has the guts face their customers and bring this game to release.

• Like 7

No, Rocket, why don't we get into that? I'd have more respect for you/not lose any more if you told us exactly where development is, since you know, we've been sitting around waiting (in a lot of cases) since the end of summer. I'd personally like to get into that, in gory detail. Where have you failed, what have you done, and where are you at. What is left for the initial build? Where's the new projected (flexible) release date?

And don't go making another post bitching about how you're "depressed" or "don't know if you want to be in the industry anymore". If you want to back out, go. Git. Pass the torch to someone who has the guts face their customers and bring this game to release.

Finally, someone said it.

What attitude? Its letters on a forum. The only problem here is im not going with the flow of praise towards Rocket. I for one feel that this PR nightmare of his could have been handled way better than it was.

What else is problematic? That i could not care less about Rocket and his personal feelings? Im not here for celebs, im here to get info on the game. Is it too much to expect actual info on that instead of a post in the shape of "im on an airport nao"

I do agree with you on one point - things change. Dayz changed from beeing an amateur mod to an actual payable game. With that the attitude towards it needs to change, things need to take more serously and situations like this PR thing should not happen.

Are you going to keep repeating this one point over and over? As I said before, you've made your point, repeating the same thing doesn't make your point any more valid. Most people are happy with 1 or 2 posts on this thread, if you read through it there's other negative comments too.

If you're finding it frustrating that people are giving their support then you're going to have a frustrating time on these forums in general because Rocket, through past actions has gathered a lot of support.

You now have 7 posts, every one of them on this thread. Repeating yourself will actually undermine your own argument because people that may have taken you seriously or listened to you will start to see you as either a troll or an attention seeker.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 5

Glad to hear from you Rocket!

Those of us that have followed the development of many games over the years know the hurdles and pitfalls you and your team are having to navigate. Not to mention the huge amount of work that rewriting a game engine to suit your needs really is. The honesty and transparency of the development of the Dayz Standalone has been truly refreshing. I have waited many, many months for updates on other games that I have followed through development by much bigger companies with well funded PR departments.

"...we're not only making the game, we're redoing the engine specifically for the game." -Rocket That alone is some of the best news I've heard about the work you and your team are doing for DayZ Standalone. That is absolutely HUGE and the implications benefit the player directly!

Keep your eye on the prize, and all will be well. <3's

Edit: I almost forgot >.< Thanks for all your hard work too forum team, and all of you who have been working on the Mod, ya'll rock!

Edited by Epoch

Yay, btw I am available for beta testing from Monday.... :P