griffinz

DayZ Standalone Discussion

the alpha will be a BLAST!

TONS of new features!

Next to NO BUGS!!!

I do hope its back to basics.

Dayz, while very fun,  has degenerated into a deathmatch with zombies. Mostly caused by the fact that survival i so easy, and everybody has top end weapons. 

It feels very much like arma II with zombies. 

• Like 1

is any group/person planning on making a wiki for the standalone once it comes out? i kind of chuckled when i realized the current dayz game has NO formulated wiki, other than dayzb. (which, frankly, sucks really hard {IMO}) i would gladly work on adding to it, might it exist

I think most people would have been happy for a game where it didn't require downloading so many aspects to get it to work and just to have a single client that was much smaller. The biggest hurdle I've found with friends is they cannot work out how to get the game to work, some have but most haven't and just gave up. So a single client version would have been really nice to get more people into the game, sadly the friends who gave up aren't interested anymore and the people who didn't are bored because of the lack of development. 

I find that none of my friends care anymore, they've all moved on and the announcement of the new consoles has them focused on them as well. They've all had a chance to move on and get addicted to other games and they wont be interested in SA now. The friends who have been playing are burnt out by Dayz now because they've played it too much and their excitement for the SA has gone because the gameplay is now boring. 

I think they're spending too much time on server stuff that no one cares about. Obviously it should improve things due to getting rid of hackers, however games like Planetside 2 still have plenty of hackers and SOE are a much bigger studio, I still wonder how the Dayz team will cope with the whole thing. Really SA should have been focused on getting a single client out, adding new features all the time to keep people interested and developing this server stuff in the background. Instead Dayz has been allowed to go stale and people have gotten bored of waiting.

I just have to wonder as well, if the new server stuff is all they've added in, what is there to get people excited for the SA? Looking at the footage I've seen so far, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot that is new, in fact lots of stuff looks worse. So again if the focus is just on the server stuff, most people don't care about it, it's hard to get excited for it. If the SA is just the same then all my friends who are burnt out from Dayz, they're still not gonna care because it's exactly the same.

I think it's taken too long, people have moved on, become burnt out from Dayz and the direction should have been on a single client, new features while doing this stuff in the background. How long will it be delayed for? The end of the year is very busy and I just cannot see my friends caring now, if my friends aren't playing then there is little reason for me to as the game is boring on your own. 

• Like 1

By the way...I recall rocket saying that it will be out before August. So...a week left?

By the way...I recall rocket saying that it will be out before August. So...a week left?

Rocket also said it would be out early July, get used to the release date being pushed back regularly. It happens with games all the time.

As for DayZ Standalone taking too long, no, it hasn't taken too long. It's been like 2 years since the mod came out, lets say they've been working on the stand alone ever since, It's a massive map with LOTS of content, and a small team to make it. It's a miracle that the game is so close to alpha state. It takes some companies with more people 3 years to make an 8 hour single player campaign, so stop complaining and wait some more, or just move on.

by the way... alpha is a state not a date^^

i think if rocket sticks to the plan and makes a solid fundament along with some balancing the SA will have great potential.

if there will be enough long term motivation to play in the sandbox, i'm glad the "hype is over".

and eventually the casual cod players will move on to other games :)

You guys reiterate articles that have paraphrased comments from Rocket, he already explained the difference between an anticipated review date and a release date; he never said it'd be released at a certain date.

Either way, as much time as it takes is what I'm happy with; I'd rather have a non-buggy, joyful and absolutely immersive DayZ game opposed to something that was rushed.  Oddly enough the longer it takes, the more comfortable I seem to feel that it will be a complete, great game when it's actually released.   

Edited by BookBurning

Rocket also said it would be out early July, get used to the release date being pushed back regularly. It happens with games all the time.

Uh, Rocket posted right on www.dayzgame.com that either the alpha or beta (I forget which one) would be released to the community by the end of 2012, no matter what.

One thing led to another (Rocket wanting to handle calculations server-side rather than client-side), and now it's the end of July and we're still waiting on an alpha/beta release.. lolllll.

I'd take everything the devs say with a grain of salt until a legitimate release date is announced, and not a hypothetical release date "approximate" like a month.

While I do hate waiting, I would hate a broken game ala "WarZ / Infestation" even more. The real sad thing here is that people keep buying Infestation and they are cashing in on the success of Dayz since it is taking so bloody long to release..

Also, useless features that only 15% of the community will use like in-game internet radio seem to be slowing down the progress all the more. Features like this are seriously the type of feature that should be added post launch, or at least post-beta for sure.  -_-

In the meantime, I am enjoying Arma3 quite a bit. They really did an amazing job with it, they fixed everything horribly wrong with Arma2 (the not-so-good optimization/controls/graphics).

Edited by bonesnap

I think most people would have been happy for a game where it didn't require downloading so many aspects to get it to work and just to have a single client that was much smaller. The biggest hurdle I've found with friends is they cannot work out how to get the game to work, some have but most haven't and just gave up. So a single client version would have been really nice to get more people into the game, sadly the friends who gave up aren't interested anymore and the people who didn't are bored because of the lack of development. 

I find that none of my friends care anymore, they've all moved on and the announcement of the new consoles has them focused on them as well. They've all had a chance to move on and get addicted to other games and they wont be interested in SA now. The friends who have been playing are burnt out by Dayz now because they've played it too much and their excitement for the SA has gone because the gameplay is now boring. 

I think they're spending too much time on server stuff that no one cares about. Obviously it should improve things due to getting rid of hackers, however games like Planetside 2 still have plenty of hackers and SOE are a much bigger studio, I still wonder how the Dayz team will cope with the whole thing. Really SA should have been focused on getting a single client out, adding new features all the time to keep people interested and developing this server stuff in the background. Instead Dayz has been allowed to go stale and people have gotten bored of waiting.

I just have to wonder as well, if the new server stuff is all they've added in, what is there to get people excited for the SA? Looking at the footage I've seen so far, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot that is new, in fact lots of stuff looks worse. So again if the focus is just on the server stuff, most people don't care about it, it's hard to get excited for it. If the SA is just the same then all my friends who are burnt out from Dayz, they're still not gonna care because it's exactly the same.

I think it's taken too long, people have moved on, become burnt out from Dayz and the direction should have been on a single client, new features while doing this stuff in the background. How long will it be delayed for? The end of the year is very busy and I just cannot see my friends caring now, if my friends aren't playing then there is little reason for me to as the game is boring on your own. 

The developers in PS2 are lazy, biased, and not very bright (they are in the middle of overhauling the ENTIRE game structure half a year into the public release because "they guess" they were wrong when they were told back in Alpha and Beta that their game conquest wasn't going to work and would fail...it did...so they're spending 6 months right now overhauling it instead of doing good stuff like new continents, infantry content, and game performance improvement).

The SA will probably run individual servers which are controlled by the owners of the servers. It's the real PC mutliplayer model and the most successful one (because admins from corporations end up never being on and are never helpful anyway).

Edited by treeHamster

Does anyone know how persistent our character will be in the SA.

A single character per account? Will we even have an account like setup?

ya know..stuff like that..

?

Edited by RogueNZ

Hallo, how is everyone...now, I wanted to ask if Chenarus in the SA will have a larger world, and bigger cities and towns...

if this has already been asked then im sorry...go ahead and delete the post.

Now I put this into the suggestion topic,

• Because I don't know what to put this in
  • and I have something to suggest

I suggest a cleaning centre, a area in which you can be scanned by a machine\object...and can be cleansed, but for a certain price, you might lose blood in the process as it will need samples of your blood every time...also it may give fatigue...The cleansing will be only available every 2 days after your last visit... 

You can keep your cleaning center, thanks.

Maybe Rocket will like the idea but not I.

There will be new areas to discover and if you can swim, there are new places to swim to.

All that has been said before.

Merged.

I'd take everything the devs say with a grain of salt until a legitimate release date is announced, and not a hypothetical release date "approximate" like a month.

ill take everything with a grain of salt until the game is installed on my harddrive and im playing it myself. although i believe Dean learned a valuable lesson with missed launch dates , im extremely skeptical given everything thats happened since then

As for DayZ Standalone taking too long, no, it hasn't taken too long. It's been like 2 years since the mod came out, lets say they've been working on the stand alone ever since,

DayZ has not been out for 2 years. It has been out for barely more than 1 year. They have only been working on the Standalone since last August and only decided to do the complete overhaul that winter. 

• Like 2

We're totally screwed if DayZ won't be playable until September even though at gamescom we should see a good version.

We're Students are totally screwed if DayZ won't be playable until September even though at gamescom we should see a good version.

That's the only thing I can think of that would make you use an otherwise arbitrary deadline. Are you a student going back to school in the fall?

Everyone knows that most adults don't get large periods of time off to begin with so we don't feel any sympathy towards students who are feeling the time crunch of back-to-school slowly creeping up on them? Right?

This isn't directly at you Barrett but all I can think of when someone wants the game released during the summer is "Tough shit."

Oh no! I have to play the game during evenings or on the weekend! FML!

Edited by UbiquitousBadGuy
  • Like 7

That's the only thing I can think of that would make you use an otherwise arbitrary deadline. Are you a student going back to school in the fall?

Everyone knows that most adults don't get large periods of time off to begin with so we don't feel any sympathy towards students who are feeling the time crunch of back-to-school slowly creeping up on them? Right?

This isn't directly at you Barrett but all I can think of when someone wants the game released during the summer is "Tough shit."

Oh no! I have to play the game during evenings or on the weekend! FML!

YESS..... ALL THE BEANZ FOR YOU!!!!!

Fucking whippersnappers