griffinz

DayZ Standalone Confirmed

- A well developed crafting system (Food recipies, gun augmentations, vehicles, make-shift explosives etc etc)

- Horses as mounts! (I belive Rocket said something about this) and more animals in general

- Coffee (Yes, you didnt misread.)

- More guns (I heard "Find at home" common weaponry would be implemented but more military weapons would be nice too. Diversity is good.)

- More traps (Perhaps part of the crafting system, but more traps that you could make or find would be really neat.)

- Connected maps (Eventually. I realize this wouldnt be Alpha material, but it would be really neat if, eventually, you'd have different map models connected if you would head to the edges of the Chernarus map.)

- More story material (I read something along the lines that there would be a few things about this, but the more background and story the player can dig up, the better)

- Diaries! Or notepads or something! (Would be really interesting if you could loot these from other players. Could be part of the story material if you got some from zombies)

- The ability to repair wrecks of vehicles (An idea of mine that would require you to have a -lot- of spare parts and a lot of work, much more so then fixing an "intact" vehicle. Would at least partially solve the clan-hoarding problem many servers are facing. If repair would not be an option, perhaps at least scavenge from vehicles? Oh and worthy of note: The few tank and BMP wreckages around would be an exception, as that would be a tad OP.)

- Secret scary stuff. (Like, ghosts at Green Mountain that will only not attack you if you have a mountain dew, and would be hard as hell to kill. Or rare wood-climbing zombies that would be insanely dangerous. Or perhaps scary female zombies inspired from the witches of left4dead.)

- Roaming zombie hordes (Spawn a few roaming zombie hordes of massive size. Main problem with this I suppose would be performance-related, but I think the cheer awesomeness-potential outweighs the downsides.)

- More types of food (Related to crafting and cooking. I dont want to diminish the saintly status of the can of baked beans, but a greater diversity in drinks and food would be interesting. Would be even more interesting if they had some different minor qualities. )

- Radios (Since the removal of the blue channel, which I miss but understand why it was removed, I think it might be a good idea to bring back a method of long-range communications that doesnt involve the direct communications-channel. As I've understood it, these items used to be in the game, so maybe the concept was already thought of. )

...that's all the brainstorming I could provide for now but I will probably add more later!

A lot of these have been suggested (and even considered) in the suggestions threads or on reddit mate :)

Edit: also - "ghosts at Green Mountain that will only not attack you if you have a mountain dew, and would be hard as hell to kill."

Realistic zombie survival sim + ghosts = Contradiction.

Edited by JamesButlin

Call me crazy, but I'd rather not have child zombies in the game. Sure, they would raise the "terror factor" something fierce(undead kids moaning and running after you trying to eat you? amagawd), but gunning down "people" is bad enough. Kids would just draw parallels to some horrors of war. Perhaps some consider that appropriate in a zombie survival. I'd just consider it unneccecery.

I agree. Imagine the press DayZ will get after the first dozen 'watch-me-kill-a-hundred-children' videos have surfaced on youtube.

• Like 1

Combine that with the smoking and suicide suggestions and the Daily Mail will never have to write another bloody story about immigrants or Princess Di (peace be upon her).

• Like 3

A lot of these have been suggested (and even considered) in the suggestions threads or on reddit mate :)

Edit: also - "ghosts at Green Mountain that will only not attack you if you have a mountain dew, and would be hard as hell to kill."

Realistic zombie survival sim + ghosts = Contradiction.

Yeah true enough, I realize a fair bit of it had already been suggestivly suggested on reddit that it might appear in the standalone(I did note that where I could recall I had seen it) and some of these things probably have appeared elsewhere in this thread, but..since im way too lazy to read a whooping 50 pages+, I figured I'd brainstorm instead. Couldnt hurt, right?

As for the "ghosts at green mountain", that wasnt an entirely serious suggestion. But hey, I wouldnt complain if supernatural stuff started happening. It would be scary and there are plenty of things around that arent that realistic already. But yeah, point taken, perhaps it bring the experience too much towards "horror" and too far from "survival". Im all for prioritising the later.

• Like 2

Dead Space gets away with those dead baby monster things, why not Day Z?

It's funny, I was just thinking about killing babies. In Dead Space I mean. I was trying to think of any other games that had children in and Dead Space was the first one that came to mind. If it's good enough for them...

• Like 3

Dead Space gets away with those dead baby monster things, why not Day Z?

I haven't played it, but aren't the Dead Space monsterbabies more monster than baby? Like, hardly baby at all?

Another game that featured killable children was Fallout, and some countries forced the devs to release a version that had the little buggers clumsily edited out. Like, they were still in the game but you couldn't see them.

I would not like to have that happen to DayZ.

• Like 1

It's funny, I was just thinking about killing babies. In Dead Space I mean. I was trying to think of any other games that had children in and Dead Space was the first one that came to mind. If it's good enough for them...

Bioshock, 1 and 2.

I have a question...

Everywhere i can find that Release of DayZ Standalone will be before end of year 2012. This realease is a full release or Alpha version of game?

I hope it is meant like full release because i am not sure if i can wait for Alpha version of game for few months :(

Sounds great, can't wait to play without the constant paranoia of them scripters about to drop me from the sky :)

Now I think about it those Dead Space babies were pretty monstery. Hmmm. How about a compromise:

c5444058.jpg

I think most of us could happily shoot him in the face.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

Well, I guess it should be possible. There are private hives and those should work on LAN too. Don't see the difference with the standalone if they don't change the current concept of server management.

HOLY MOTHER OF ZOMBIES!!!!! Rocket And Bohemia Working Togheter To Make A Standalone DayZ???

Bloody Epic!!! I Can't Wait!!!!! (Ragdoll Physhics <3 XD)

This is awesome! can´t wait actually, i´ve felt this way before when i was waiting for BF3 and D3 but in the end i got dissapointed because they were "Dumbed" down just because they wanted to milk everyone on money, but with this mod being released as a stand alone and in the same release way that minecraft was released i am 100% sure that i will be just as awesome as the mod atleast, since it´s not a big "Game company" that is only after our money and not our experience with the game and that these guys also listen to their community is going to be all the difference in this release, my point in this is that Dayz is going to be bigger then BF3 and MW3 together with a more active and mature player base. :)

I was highly anticipating BF3, but the terrible dumbed down vehicles and Dice messing with weapons all of the time in an effort to keep it "balanced" really was a letdown. I'm hoping Dayz will not fall into the same hole listening to a bunch of players whine all of the time and make ridiculous changes to everything.

• Like 2

I hope you dont throw in any "pay to win" shit. Its a hardcore game and really should stay that way

Also I hope it will stay on PC and not be made for a console and ported, cause that really ruins games

• Like 2

great news. :) hopefully for us server hosters this will enable us a bit more functionality.

Hopefully server hosters won't be able to do anything with the server but host it. Nothing. People abuse power, we have seen it here happen a lot. Admins don't need powers in a game - especially when hacking won't be a serious issue anymore in the game. So people can't pretend to ban "hackers"... or "restart" because a "hacker" was on the server (camp being robbed, resetting vehicles).

And I am saying this as someone who also has an own server.

Edited by Takas
  • Like 3

Hopefully server hosters won't be able to do anything with the server but host it. Nothing. People abuse power, we have seen it here happen a lot. Admins don't need powers in a game - especially when hacking won't be a serious issue anymore in the game. So people can't pretend to ban "hackers"... or "restart" because a "hacker" was on the server (camp being robbed, resetting vehicles).

That angers me... being an admin on a good server we got very aggravated that we didn't have very much control. In fact, we couldn't ban, even when we found hacker for sure. We also had a strong community of the same players. All you have to do is report a server, and once maybe 2-5 people complain, it will be investigated and dealt with

That angers me... being an admin on a good server we got very aggravated that we didn't have very much control. In fact, we couldn't ban, even when we found hacker for sure.

From the server hosting rules:

13. You are permitted to kick or ban for ongoing severe hacking that is affecting players in a server-disruptive way.

How servers will be handled in the standalone remains to be seen, I'm hoping for official servers myself.

Yes, lets take away all powers from SA's so when, not if, the hackers find a way to circumvent whatever AC this has, the game will be even more unplayable than it is now.

If this game doesn't have "Official Servers", and takes all powers from people who host, the game will fail, and that will be to bad because it has the potential to be great.