rocket

Should we scrap bandit models?

Scrap them.

They perpetuate the problem at the moment which isn't what we want; it should reflect people's choices not force them to make certain ones.

Keep them, or come up with something different. I understand that it's difficult to make as intended, but don't give up. I believe in you Rocket! :D

Can't vote, don't know why. So just my opinion, if bandit models are a headache, scrap them and focus on other things.

Is the bandit model strictly necessary for the morale system?

I say yes, vehicles and stable tents are much more important things to handle.

(Oh yeah, poll doesn't work)

Yes, scrap them. The bandit mechanic is currently a huge problem as it locks people up as you switch in/out of the bandit skin, it causes inventory problems and (presumably) strain on the servers and/or code.

No, keep them. I love my bandit skin and would love to keep it. Unfortunately, the current mechanic of humanity forces me to keep killing players or risk losing my skin. I'd prefer a way to permanently skin myself to a humanity based on/off toggle.

Without a skin/penalty system I have to fall back to the idea I've called "Wrath of God" as a possible alternative. Give each player a simple weighting based on how many players he's killed. Forget about the reasons or circumstances. Use this weighting to decide zombie preference... perhaps the brains of sociopathic killers taste better, maybe they radiate a pheromone or something similar that acts like a dinner bell that zombies like.

In a nutshell the more players you kill the more likely you are to attract zombies... maybe 1% more likely per kill. 100 players killed (I think the record is 92), you are a free surf-and-turf buffet that zombies would just find delicious.

As a side benefit imagine running down a street with a horde behind you when you run past someone tastier than you are... ;)

Scrap the bandit system since it seems to cause more problems than they solve

Yes.

It's hard for me, because I was planning on hunting bandits, and scrapping them will make my job harder but it's better for RPing, I think.

There should be some way of recognizing players. Not if they're bandits or not, but simply who they are. On servers without crosshair everyone looks the same, so maybe it's possible to implement displaying nicknames after watching the guy for some time? That would fix a lot of problems, and would still be realistic.

Without a skin/penalty system I have to fall back to the idea I've called "Wrath of God" as a possible alternative. Give each player a simple weighting based on how many players he's killed. Forget about the reasons or circumstances. Use this weighting to decide zombie preference... perhaps the brains of sociopathic killers taste better' date=' maybe they radiate a pheromone or something similar that acts like a dinner bell that zombies like.

In a nutshell the more players you kill the more likely you are to attract zombies... maybe 1% more likely per kill. 100 players killed (I think the record is 92), you are a free surf-and-turf buffet that zombies would just find delicious.

As a side benefit imagine running down a street with a horde behind you when you run past someone tastier than you are... ;)

[/quote']

This is worse than the bandit skin. The bandit skin doesn't put you a distinct disadvantage script wise beyond perpetuating the idea that you have to keep killing to defend yourself from non-bandits, but your ideas scripts in that player killers have magical consequences to their actions that make tasty.

I like Aedrill's idea much better. It makes sense without enforcing anything that doesn't make logical sense. Especially on the hardcore servers it is very difficult to tell friend or foe. All you can see are bandits and non-bandits which isn't always the best indicator.

Get rid of it.

I thought you wanted realistic kind of gameplay.

If this happened, we wouldn't change our clothes to look dangerous.

We'd keep them normal looking and join groups to betray and steal from.

I think the bandit models are pretty pointless. I usually don't trust anyone, bandit or survivor. They shouldn't have a model to specify if they are evil or not. You should just let people pick whatever model they want to be. A better feeling of mistrust would involve being unable to tell if someone is trustworthy or not, which would necessitate removing the bandit models.

Yes Scrap them.

I'm primarily a coop-friendly-carebear-survivor. I don't plan to play much as bandit, but I think bandit outfits are breaking immersion and I treat all strangers with equal ammounts of paranoia anyways.

Maybe humanity can play a different role later in development, a bit like faction points in traditional mmorpgs.

Yes, a player can be found in a horrible situation when in gunfire and suddenly he gets a "Requesting Character Data" screen and not being able to do anything after some while to reconnect when in that time they could be killed.

i don't like the skin solution but there was a patch or two where the skin was broken and there were people sitting in every major city with CZ's shooting everyone on sight, i think it's important to have at least some way of knowing that a player is untrustworthy and there should be some kind of system to discourage people from posting up in cherno with a scoped rifle. maybe if you've killed a lot of people in a certain zone you start to get a "reputation", map markers start appearing in a radius near your position, closing in as you kill more people.

Scrap them. People use it as a reason to kill you, even more. Sometimes you get a bandit skin for defending yourself.

While I don't have one myself, my friend has one.

Why?

Well he was looting Elektro, when someone popped out of a building and opened fire with his makarov. The incompetent twit managed to miss with all the 4 or 5 rounds he had in his mag. My friend shot him while reloading.

Along with someone we (that is he, I was asleep at the wheel) popped who came charging towards our car with no word, that lowered his humanity enough for a towelhead skin.

Becoming a bandit for not waiting for a guy to reload and get hit... I don't think so.

Those skins need to go away, or better yet - be voluntary.