Kyiara

Experimental Update 1.19 (Change Log)

After finding many Sledgehammers in a badly damaged state, I would suggest to make them repairable with something.  Duct tape makes sense.  You're going to fix the handle, if anything.

• Beans 1

One thing I also noticed is that damaged gun attachments like handguards and buttstocks are also irreparable. I tried with duct tape, gun cleaning kit, epoxy putty, blow torch even.

They don't affect gun stats from what I know, but shouldn't it be possible to repair them somehow?

• Like 1

The bumper on my car became badly damaged today.    I relogged at one point.  Came back and the car engine sound was gone.  Repaired the bumper to worn and then the sound came back instantly.  Ha.

8 hours ago, Parazight said:

After finding many Sledgehammers in a badly damaged state, I would suggest to make them repairable with something.  Duct tape makes sense.  You're going to fix the handle, if anything.

4 hours ago, DefectiveWater said:

One thing I also noticed is that damaged gun attachments like handguards and buttstocks are also irreparable. I tried with duct tape, gun cleaning kit, epoxy putty, blow torch even.

They don't affect gun stats from what I know, but shouldn't it be possible to repair them somehow?

I agree that there are currently too many items that damage condition seems to not matter, and others where it matters greatly but we have no way to increase it or the cost is high. While adaptability and weighing priorities should be skills we need to use, it starts getting silly when you start hoarding cleaning items and it feels like you spend a good amount of the journey just cleaning and fixing items, not to mention carrying around all the supplies to do so starts to really take up inventory space. I think it's about time for a revaluation on some of the most used items and their decay rate, and some looks at ease of use changes for the player base.

Maybe being able to break down an item into parts that could then be used to repair, or combining two broken items to create one better condition one. idk any other thoughts?

6 hours ago, penguin511 said:

Maybe being able to break down an item into parts that could then be used to repair, or combining two broken items to create one better condition one. idk any other thoughts?

Maybe a way to balance it would be in the consumption of the repair item.  Like, repairing a sledgehammer once should consume up to 85% of a roll of duct tape.  Maybe it should require a blowtorch.  

After playing experimental with this new change, I would say having the condition of items randomized is the right move.  Some things could be repaired by wiping it down with a rag (e.g. non-perishable foods, boxes of ammo) while other items require much more.   I imagine that players would enjoy spending time repairing trivial things to worn state.  Being able to repair as many things as possible (handguards and buttstocks) with simple cleaning (consume one rag) might be interesting.

Combining two items to create a good one, in some cases, isn't a bad idea.

6 hours ago, penguin511 said:

it starts getting silly when you start hoarding cleaning items and it feels like you spend a good amount of the journey just cleaning and fixing items, not to mention carrying around all the supplies to do so starts to really take up inventory space.

I didn't have the need to hoard at all.  I've used the splitting axe, mining pick, and sledgehammer to defend myself from infected and none of them felt like they were wearing down too fast.  I think that the wear levels are fine where it's important.  I went through maybe 1 sharpening stone from new spawn to driving a car.  It's true that base building activities might cause excessive wear, but if you're doing that then survival is not an issue, so it really doesn't matter, so it shouldn't it be balanced around that.

Repairing clothing is not bad.  I pull zeds individually and prioritize blocking.  The clothing requires a lot less repair and there's very little bleeding.  Sneaky stab attacks are worth it.  Bone knives are awesome, maybe should require more bones.

4 hours ago, Parazight said:

I didn't have the need to hoard at all.  I've used the splitting axe, mining pick, and sledgehammer to defend myself from infected and none of them felt like they were wearing down too fast.  I think that the wear levels are fine where it's important.

Repairing clothing is not bad.  I pull zeds individually and prioritize blocking.  The clothing requires a lot less repair and there's very little bleeding.  Sneaky stab attacks are worth it.  Bone knives are awesome, maybe should require more bones.

I'm fine with repairs in general and items coming in randomized. It's more the common use things that wear constantly or passively and those outside of ideal circumstance. Knives, hatchets, Boots, gloves, suppressors, mags, guns, optics, NBC, armor, and even damaged tires or just car parts in general. Many of these require different kits while others require the same kits and share usage. Ideally you are not running around with all of these at the same time but many of them you are. With new and old repair kits finding new or revived uses, it also starts eating at your inventory. So we then have the average player trying to hold many of them for the potential of finding an item that needs it, especially with the way loot works you could get very unlucky to find the exact kits you need. Realistically you should use different forms of storage and stashes, but not everyone is going to do that, as many players are not holding an area but traveling. Again I'm not wanting everything to just last forever, but it's starting to feel menial every time i need to repair my boots or gloves just from walking or sliding a ladder/punching a zed, or my knife/hatchet after cutting down a small bush more then once. I think part of the issue is the damage system is becoming too simple while the game is reaching past the mechanics initial goal.

Maybe i just play this game too much. idk.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

I wish items lasted longer since now we have to repair basically everything we find.
Maybe adding "Maintained" state to items just like how rags/bandages have "Disinfected" state and adding some benefits for that "Maintained" state.

I like the whole item state randomization, but some items need adjusting.
Hunting scope is "OP" in this new patch. Every other sight/scope has cracks on the lenses but hunting scope has the same old 2D overlay with no cracks.

Edited by DefectiveWater

Critical Bugs in 1.19 Experimental:

- Car Gears are  very often desynced, when starting a car. Means that for you, you are for example in Gear 1, and not much is happening you just cannot drive away for some reason, for others around you or in the car, you are on red RPM and blowing up the engine within a few seconds. Happens often, especially if you try to start offroad. You have to stop the engine, get out, start again, slowly try shifting until eventually it works to get the car going.

- Hmvee Engine getting damaged very fast because of wrong automatic gear shifting, especially if you drive a bit slowly offroad, stop sometimes, drive on again

less critical:

- Hmmvee, you can only repar the engine from below, as you cannot open the hood at the moment

- Only one person at a time can interect with a car. So if you have some passengers, only one can open a door, then the next one, the next one, only one can get out. If someone opens or closes a door, the driver cannot start the engine, and so on.

Edited by krazikilla
  • Beans 1

While driving, the wheels of a car eventually go back to home position when you're not turning the steering wheel.  This seems to work fine while driving forward.  I don't think this is happening while in reverse.  Something is different, but the old controls for going in reverse felt more responsive.  Reverse is very fast now.

We don't need a soft brake and a hard brake.  Just one brake.  Feathering the hard brake in the past was optimal in order to control speed.  Needing two fingers to hard brake is cumbersome, especially when soft braking rarely occurs.   I drove around in an Olga a lot during experimental.  Most of the time I was just coasting everywhere @~ 60 km/h, with hard braking whenever I went downhill.

• Beans 1

25 minutes ago, Parazight said:

We don't need a soft brake and a hard brake.  Just one brake.

Didn't drive 1.19 cars yet, but I agree. Even racing games don't have soft/medium/hard brake controls on keyboard, and while it is slightly dumb to brake 100% it just seems slightly cumbersome.
Braking sensitivity (0>100% brake strength) could scale with car speed to some extent so that braking at slow speed isn't so jarring and it's easier to feather the brakes at slow-medium speeds.

But maybe I'm wrong, haven't driven 1.19 cars yet and probably never will because I have no intention to search for car parts for hours.
Maybe I would try to fix up some cars if I didn't need to search for all wheels, radiator, spark plug and fuel for almost every single car I find.

Edited by DefectiveWater

4 hours ago, Parazight said:

While driving, the wheels of a car eventually go back to home position when you're not turning the steering wheel.  This seems to work fine while driving forward.  I don't think this is happening while in reverse.  Something is different, but the old controls for going in reverse felt more responsive.  Reverse is very fast now.

We don't need a soft brake and a hard brake.  Just one brake.  Feathering the hard brake in the past was optimal in order to control speed.  Needing two fingers to hard brake is cumbersome, especially when soft braking rarely occurs.   I drove around in an Olga a lot during experimental.  Most of the time I was just coasting everywhere @~ 60 km/h, with hard braking whenever I went downhill.

Agreed, ditch the soft brake....no one will be using it anyway.

15 hours ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

Agreed, ditch the soft brake....no one will be using it anyway.

Well its here and its working. Would be kind of strange on a business side of view, to now put more work into it, just to remove something which is completly optional to use anyway. You can even configure it in the controls. Dont like it, dont use it.

Let them work on bugs instead, there are quite some critical ones in regards of driving still anyway, as i mentioned above. Things which litarally ruin the cars you invested hours in within a few seconds without you realising it until its too late.

Edited by krazikilla
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, lobart78 said:

Why is it taking so long it's been in experimental already 1 month .. 

Rolling out as we speak.

Edited by ScipioII
remove link

7 hours ago, krazikilla said:

Let them work on bugs instead, there are quite some critical ones in regards of driving still anyway, as i mentioned above. 

There are no driving bugs. It’s working perfectly. It was designed terribly. This is the best possible simulation we will get. 

Finally, after 1 month this update came live. I'm sure BI didn't fuck it up like always. Turn on the game, 6 people in queue. 0 people in queue, game loading, back to 1 person in queue, music playing, screen stuck at 1 person in queue for 1 hour. 

Waiting for patch, FINALLY up after 1 month on experimental
1. Zombies are stuck in 1 place, spawning on roof still
2. Zombies still cannot open doors
3. Server performance is even worse than it was. Problems logging in, moving things around in inventory, 2s opening doors ..
4. Cars are still broken
5. But the cherry on top- the biggest problem- Hackers.. still not adressed

Great patch, BI competent as always

I appreciate the work the devs have done, but so far I have not been impressed with this patch.  Cars drive well but are death traps due to desinc.   I feel that you burn through food too fast now as well as zeds doing way too much damage to items that are carried on you, that was annoying before, but even worse now.  It doesn't make sense that they damage hard items.  you try hitting a tin of food or a knife and see who wins.  I do hope they come out with some quick fixes as they are killing the game for me.

PC Experimental 1.19 Update 5 - Version 1.19.155418 (Released on 24.10.2022)

GAME

FIXED

• The character could get launched into the air when changing stances close to objects
  • It was not possible to crawl up steep slopes
  • The character could get stuck when walking backwards along walls
  • It was difficult to access the engine widget in the Sarka 120
  • Reversing into objects with M3S truck could result in major crash damage to the fuel tank

CHANGED

• Updated the model of the M1025 engine
  • Reduced the amount of damage the blowtorch takes on usage
  • Decreased the amount of glowplugs in the world
  • The light of the mummy infected now fades after death

SERVER

• Fixed: Ban list/Whitelist/Priority list would not accept all possible player identifiers
  • Fixed: Setting inertia values in the cfggameplay.json to 0.0 would result in a game freeze - minimum value is now 0.01, see documentation
  • Like 1
  • Beans 2

Thanks for the hotfix especially the server parts, will make a lot of server owners happy I am sure 🙂 

@lynn.zaw are there any thoughts to adjust the damage values or more importantly the exceptions? Many items cannot be repaired (plugs for example) but can show up with major damage. It feels like there should be a class of items that can only spawn worn or pristine because they cannot be repaired. If not, then everything needs to be repairable and those materials need to be in greater supply (like sewing kits and duct tape were increased).  

• Like 1

Please look into options for sprint run and or jump height. 

The change made created all sort of problems on mod maps. Gaps no longer traversible. Ledges no longer reachable etc. 

Also not being able to jump official map mini fences is debatable. 

• Like 2
  • Beans 1

What McWendy said ^^

Before you used to get launched insanely fast when you run off any small ledge. Now you drop down even if you are sprinting seems like, I've seen Smoke (streamer) try to jump off a wall but ended just dropping down...

Would be much better if players could slowly feather the W key and drop off depending on the character speed instead of straight down, so something between getting launched and dropping down immediately.
Something that takes character speed into account and isn't as drastic as the current or previous implementations. idk...

Edited by DefectiveWater
  • Like 1

@lynn.zawHello. I noticed in patch 1.19 such a bug that if you run and sit down sharply and enter the scope, then the weapon goes down and does not shoot, just like if you run and lie down sharply and enter the scope, the weapon also goes down. in patch 1.18 it was very rare, but in the new patch it is very common and impossible to play, as if the character hits an invisible texture. wait for a fix?

Edited by revengenightmare