Kyiara

Stable Update 1.12

3 hours ago, DefectiveWater said:

That was mostly a jab at his statement "you make sure to bring a lockpick" because you can't be sure, I'm not complaining about CLE (only thing that I hate is the in_hoarder and in_cargo, limits the game too much).

I would only add zeds breaking down doors if this: "but then zombies shouldn't magically know that I'm going to the backdoor to escape. They should gather around the last area they saw me." got implemented.

I guess I could live with this, no bleed chance if you block.

Same here. Zed aggro, pathing and "knowing where the player went even if they didn't see me" part need to be addressed.

In fact I have started to change my tactics a bit. When they come rushing I greet them with a heavy attack to their head, that will stagger them allowing me to get another heavy swing in - which ends it if you have one of the big ones - or if stamina is low one regular thwack. Then I back off so they miss their overhead heavy swing, then when they charge again they get another twack to their head, then I block or sidestep, next thwack they are always dead. Works with one, or even two if you stay moving - but if more come it is best to run... (or shoot)

Using the sidestep is actually really effective, I have several times managed to give them a one-tap backstab after they've lunged past me, I deffo need more practice with that one - because just a fraction too long a push of the button and you lean instead of sidestepping...

Edited by Derleth

21 hours ago, GamerWarrior2000 said:

It would be cool if you close a door when being chased by a hoard of infected, and you feel safe for a moment. You go to bandage your 3 cuts and then you hear an infected banging on the door. A few moments later and it opens the door, infected flood into the house and kill you.

So next time, you make sure to bring a lockpick and when you run inside you close the door and immediately lock it. They bang on the door but you feel secure because you know its locked and can't be opened. But a minute later, just as you finish bandaging and begin repairing your clothes, an infected breaks the lock and kicks the door open. They flood in and kill you.

Third time round, you run inside and close the door, securing with lockpick. Prepared, you take the plank of wood from your backpack and use nails and a hammer to barricade. The infected bang on the door but you bandage, repair items, and cook food knowing you're safe. Finally, they lose interest and disperse, allowing you to leave safely by dismantling.

The problem with all of that is that you literally just make yourself a target for other players to shoot at their leisure. The infected AI is so thick that they'll be focused on you, and only you, so that the other player can just run up just pick you off while you're trapped in your sardine can.

If the AI could be made to shift focus to other players too while they are agro'd on you, so that anyone in the vicinity of an agro'd zombie mob is a target, it might work. As things are at the moment, it'll only end up being an irritation rather than exciting.

Plus, if the infected are all busy banging on the front door and you can slip out the backway, it'll become another way to cheese them.

It's a good idea in theory. But in practice, with how the game is at the moment, I can't see it working terribly well.

Edited by Tonyeh
  • Beans 1

5 hours ago, McWendy said:

Right now im back to Just luring infected into houses and leave them there.

There seems to be a lot of folk at that.

Last night I opened the doors to one of those large, one roo,m barrack buildings and there were about 10 zombies in there. Someone must have conga lined them into the building and ran out.

They all turned toward me, when I opened the door and went "huuugh".

I shit myself and ran up a tower.

• Haha 2
  • Beans 1

On 4/23/2021 at 10:11 AM, ataribaby said:

Hello, any news or progress? I followed workaround to match folder names and as it works for me when I tested it it fails for some reason for other players and are unable to connect our server. For now only solution is verifySignatures = 0 what is not ideal. Thanks.

On 4/24/2021 at 7:28 AM, steam-76561198280502429 said:

Did you guys come up with a solution?
(#STR_ve_missing_mod
#STR_MODS0
#STR_MODS1
)

We have found the issue and before providing the fix, we just want to make sure it´s working properly and not causing more trouble. Thank you for your patience.

10 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

The problem with all of that is that you literally just make yourself a target for other players to shoot at their leisure. The infected AI is so thick that they'll be focused on you, and only you, so that the other player can just run up just pick you off while you're trapped in your sardine can.

If the AI could be made to shift focus to other players too while they are agro'd on you, so that anyone in the vicinity of an agro'd zombie mob is a target, it might work. As things are at the moment, it'll only end up being an irritation rather than exciting.

Plus, if the infected are all busy banging on the front door and you can slip out the backway, it'll become another way to cheese them.

It's a good idea in theory. But in practice, with how the game is at the moment, I can't see it working terribly well.

There will be more encounters which is good. Other players have to deal with infected too, so it works both ways.  Yes, you'll be in danger in a survival game. That is the point. That said, I'm all for improving their AI.

11 hours ago, Kyiara said:

We have found the issue and before providing the fix, we just want to make sure it´s working properly and not causing more trouble. Thank you for your patience.

Thats great news!

13 hours ago, Tonyeh said:

But they do, and it can go downhill fast if you mess up. Last night in Livona I heard frantic shooting in Nadbor and went to investigate, I saw something like 20-30 infected swarming around a house with someone inside shooting at them. While I stood next to another house across the street one of them spotted me, made the arms-in-the-air scream and rushed for me - and when she did that half the rest of them also turned around. Seconds later I was trapped in my own sardine can with clothes torn to shreds...

So there is more to zombie AI than some of us are willing to credit them with.

I'd say the times they stay locked on another player regardless of what you do it is simply a bug, maybe due to latency or their shit list simply freezes somehow. For example, if you leave a car idling it will attract nearby zombies like flies to a turd, and you can often walk up to them and kill them one at a time without any of them shifting attention away from the car. That is obviously not intended... But sometimes they will turn on you, and I can't for the life of me find a pattern to it. Seems totally random.

Edited by Derleth

The sound system for firearms, why? Why did you change it? It didn't feel wrong, the distances, the levels of sound, the indoors shots sound, the outdoors ones... What happened, why did you change something that was more than ok, something that noone complained about.

If worked well, and in this particular matter imo very well, and it even feeled realistic, why change it? push to stable? and then change it again in future updates? (1.1x..? as stated in https://feedback.bistudio.com/T158027 )

I think I have writen it before, the last week or so, but I write it again: I think that you devs are unnecesary over balancing aspects of the game that don't need to. Just my point of view, one of many. Probably if you would explain them... I would understand some parts.

Clearly, it's my favourite game, been enjoying a lot of it the last 2-3 years. Don't agree with most of the changes in this 1.12. Still, thank you for all, and grateful that you keep going, but don't lose the course. This sound is not right, not realistic, not authentic, it's not DayZ.

For the record:
Watch a bit of this video showing the old sound system for firearms in 1.11. Very interesting imo: https://youtu.be/qD6UnLqZV6o

And then watch this short video of the new 1.12: https://youtu.be/cUmVJKZ20e8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Beans 1

^^ this

I don't get why bother even making new placeholder values (literally waste of a time) and THEN release them to a stable release.
Why not just use old values as placeholders till you guys figure it out?

Too drastic of a change once again.

Yes, pistols shouldn't be heard to the same distance as x54r and .308, but not 250 meters.

Edited by DefectiveWater
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Derleth said:

But they do, and it can go downhill fast if you mess up. Last night in Livona I heard frantic shooting in Nadbor and went to investigate, I saw something like 20-30 infected swarming around a house with someone inside shooting at them. While I stood next to another house across the street one of them spotted me, made the arms-in-the-air scream and rushed for me - and when she did that half the rest of them also turned around. Seconds later I was trapped in my own sardine can with clothes torn to shreds...

I don't think I've ever seen them do this. They seemed to lock on tighter pre 1.12. But maybe that's just the side effect of playing alone. You kinda think every bugger is after just you.

In saying that, the AI is a bit of an unknown sometimes. Maybe the tweak in 1.12 that makes them lose interest faster was the cause of them seeing you and thinking I have that guy instead of the chap in the house.

• Like 1

I think the response to the changes with the gun shots has been met with criticism.  And the confirmation on the feedback tracker that it has been purposefully changed in the name of game balance raises some more questions.  I wonder if there is any technical rationale behind the decision. Does it somehow improve server performance to have a smaller sound radius?  It has always been an objectively impressive part of the dayz sound system for gunshots to have realistic travel sounds.  I wonder if this change has denigrated that achievement.

The infected have certainly changed in this patch.  They are more difficult 1v1 although it's easy enough to change your rhythm to still be effective at killing them.  I admit there was something satisfying about 1 hitting infected pre-1.12 but I think it was a bit ridiculous to be punching them to death on the regular.  In 1.12 facing more than 1 infected becomes a big problem which is generally a good thing.

I think the infected spawning is wonky.  A lot more zeds spawning on roofs in this patch.  I also think that if the developers have decided to increase the difficulty of zeds it should be balanced with more "area persistence" meaning that when an area is "cleared"  it should stay so for a longer period of time.  It is immersion breaking to clear an area, cross over to the next street and then return to the previous area and have zeds spawned in again.  Maybe this is challenging from a technical perspective.  I have no qualms with the increased zed difficulty if it is coupled with smarter and more intuitive zed spawning.  

I don't like that the infected stop attacking you when unconscious.  It just doesn't make sense.  Shouldn't infected stop attacking you if you stop moving then?  Playing dead would be the logical "meta" in a world where they stop attacking you when you stop moving.  Imagine how silly it would be to be chased by zeds and then just plop to the ground leading them to give up the pursuit.  

I have yet to experience the ballistics changes but more unconscious states is a good thing and we can only hope that the medical systems become more complex with respect to injuries.  

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

4 hours ago, aaronlands said:

I think the response to the changes with the gun shots has been met with criticism.  And the confirmation on the feedback tracker that it has been purposefully changed in the name of game balance raises some more questions.  I wonder if there is any technical rationale behind the decision. Does it somehow improve server performance to have a smaller sound radius?  It has always been an objectively impressive part of the dayz sound system for gunshots to have realistic travel sounds. I wonder if this change has denigrated that achievement.

As you write balance purposes. Because small arms are now quieter, therefore this will encourage players to use them more. Yes this is where DayZ is headed. Balance patches because people are not using something enough and making everyone feel good about anything they have because it will artificially have more value than it should. Mainly as a result of nerfing it in the first place.

Bwawo cwapity cwap, they can now integrate all the nonsensical modded weapons and clothing, slap on traders and loot drops as well and call it vanilla.

Edited by William Sternritter
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 2:47 PM, 0.64 Freerider said:

@Kyiara Thanks for your reply! Although that statement by ImpulZ gives a vague estimation as when not to expect it ("the near future"), it doesn't answer the question I have posed here, which is whether it is currently being worked on. Would be glad if you could answer it. Thanks and best regards!

@Kyiara I'd be glad if you could answer it. Best regards!

I prefer the 1.11 gunshots because:

-They seem more realistic, choosing to shoot has more consequences, you can locate your teammates by shooting in the air, suppressors were not as op (130 meters silenced svd sound?), you can find players more easily and have nice interaction, its cooler when your gun is loud!

New gunshots pro arguments: You can shoot your gun next to your sleepin baby and it will not wake up 🙂

Edited by Homeschooliazon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Homeschooliazon said:

choosing to shoot has more consequences

Yet, somehow, some people think that shooting should have less consequences. I just don't get it.

How is there such a massive disconnect between community and development? (and between the community there are so many different opinions on what DayZ should be)

WHO asked for sound distance changes? Gun shots used to be THE ONLY thing that was working well in DayZ...

This has to be one of the most questionable/flawed updates in a while. So many differing opinions.

Edited by DefectiveWater
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DefectiveWater said:

This has to be one of the most questionable/flawed updates in a while. So many differing opinions.

Weirdest change I have seen since the "personal night light" was implemented when everyone and his mother was hating on the dark nights. But that time there was at least a part of the community making a lot of noise about darkness, this came out of the blue changing something that was working perfectly fine. So it is actually THE strangest change I have seen during the years I have followed DayZ development.

Just remembered one contender: The animation direction lock on melee attacks that was tested in one exp patch. It never made it to stable though, so it doesn't count...

As I said the large sound radius was an objectively impressive accomplishment.  The classic "don't fix it if it ain't broke" is certainly coming to mind on this change.  

• Like 5

I must agree that the gun sound changes in 1.12 are a very misguided attempt for balance since I started playing DayZ 1.00! It is not a good change. And it really feels like Call of Duty **pukes everywhere**

What I would like to see, keeping in mind the intended changes in 1.12: Get rid of gun type and go back to ammunition type as the standard (with few exceptions)!

.308 WIN and 7.62x54mmR = 3500m  / suppressed = 1500m / improvised suppressor = 2000m

7.62x39, 5.45x39, 5.56x45 = 2800m    / suppressed = 1200m / improvised = 1600

Buckshot, Slugs = 2100m

.357 = 1750m                                           / suppressed = 750m / improvised = 1000m

.45 ACP, .380, 9x19 = 1500m                 / suppressed = 400m / improvised = 850m

Rubber Slugs = 1250m

9x39 = 500m

.22 from sporter = 1100m                     / suppressed = 200m / improvised = 600m

.22 from MK II = 100m

Edited by EzyStriderPS4
Upon further reflection, these are revised numbers.
  • Beans 2

9 minutes ago, EzyStriderPS4 said:

.22 from sporter = 2000m / suppressed = 250m

this is, I assume, a joke because sporter is one of the loudest guns in 1.12?

I agree pretty much with everything (except low caliber sounds, 1000-2000 depending on the cartridge power), maybe not 100% with silencer numbers, but so long as silencers work VS zeds (to some extent), it's okay.

Edited by DefectiveWater

6 hours ago, EzyStriderPS4 said:

I like the idea of the sporter being more easily suppressed but it should still be loud like the other pistol calibers, @DefectiveWater.

so giving it the ability to take a pistol suppressor would be a cool addition? makes sense to me tbh.

Edited by DefectiveWater

Yes!!! @DefectiveWater, it should absolutely accept a pistol suppressor. IRL, suppressors are made for calibers, and very rarely for specific guns. It’s the same reason MP5-K and UMP-45 accept the pistol suppressor.

• Like 1

The food changes makes no sense to me. A whole pack of rice now gives a mere 100 calories.

Baked meats are best now as they give on average 1.5x to 2x as much calories as packaged food.

I also recommend chocolate and cereal.

• Thanks 1

For 1.13, bring back realistic gunshot sound travel distance.

Bring back the old volumetric clouds that were so beautiful.

Bring back the option to enable motion blur.

Add in barricading and infected that break doors and climb on objects like cars.

And obviously, fix server performance so vehicles and AI runs smoothly.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Beans 2