Kyiara

Stable Update 1.12

Devs, take note. When the majority of speculation about the content tease is in regards to the chicken house, and not the assault rifle, that should be a clue as to what players are hopeful for when it comes to game additions, and it isn't more military grade guns no one can find. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Parazight said:

If that tease was about chicken houses, it wouldn't have had the end of a gun barrel in it.

I think this is correct. The chicken house is already in the game and that's not an M4.

As for putting another rare AR in...pfft...great 😒 . Another gun that will be hoarded out of existence due to that stupid "count_in" flag.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thepoey said:

Devs, take note. When the majority of speculation about the content tease is in regards to the chicken house, and not the assault rifle, that should be a clue as to what players are hopeful for when it comes to game additions, and it isn't more military grade guns no one can find. 

Yeah but this time it's going to be the fabled grenade launcher attachment so "everyone" will wet their pants. 

5 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

Yeah but this time it's going to be the fabled grenade launcher attachment so "everyone" will wet their pants. 

M203 will go on an M4 as well so there's no need for a special rifle for that one...

We dont need anymore rifles at this point. What we do need is more things to do. Hunting, reading, writing all of the previous things we could do.

And better coding. Different departments sure, but still

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Beans 3

2 hours ago, McWendy said:

Different departments sure

Yeah, I think this might be the biggest reason behind it.

But at least it's actually new content that wasn't in DayZ before?

I honestly don't mind the M16 that much, but it would be nice to be able to see it once in a while... I still have yet to see AS VAL in-game (and AK-101 lol).

It will probably have better range and damage than M4, possibly being Full Auto, but it could also be Semi/Burst with no Full Auto. It will also be 1 kg less than the M4, it ain't much, but if they ever rework gun raise, and "gun weight feel" while aiming/shooting, it could make a slight difference.

EDIT: it's confirmed to be semi and burst only, carry handle isn't removable

Edited by DefectiveWater

M16A2 doesn't make sense to me. This weapon was adopted by the Marines in 1983. But the M16A4 was adopted in 1998. In ARMA 2, USMC invaded Chernarus in 2009. That's a decade of M16A4. They didn't even bother including M16A2 in that game, because it was 2009, not 1983. They had M16A4 with red dot or ACOG instead. Now DayZ occurs around the time the game was released, 2013-2014. Or whatever. There isn't really any lore. But it clearly takes place a long time after 1998. So if there's an M16 it should be the M16A4.

The M16A2 makes more sense in terms of game balance. Because we already have so many scoped assault rifles. But it's a randomly chosen weapon that doesn't fit any reasonable "lore."

The good thing is that this means there should be native burst mode in configs (or so I assume), which modders have previously had to script from scratch.

• Beans 1

9 hours ago, Derleth said:

M203 will go on an M4 as well so there's no need for a special rifle for that one...

Yes, this could be the opportunity for introducing it though. Knowing Bohemia, it may not attach to M4 at first 😄

Random youtube suggestion. I kinda wish the base game was more like this.

I especially like that bullets go where the gun points (notice how the arbitrary, extreme "dispersion" from vanilla is removed) but guns are hard to control.

Edited by Buakaw
  • Like 2
  • Beans 1

23 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

Yes, this could be the opportunity for introducing it though. Knowing Bohemia, it may not attach to M4 at first 😄

True, but in all honesty DayZ really doesn't need a rifle mounted grenade launcher (or any grenade launcher at that...) so I hope that particular attachment won't ever show up. I'm  more keen to see the return of bipods, and the possibility to support your weapon on obstacles like windowsills - instead of them sending the rifle pointing at the ceiling.

Burst mode confirmed on the M16A2 though, which is probably the reason it is included at this point. Apart from that it is a slightly reskinned M4 with longer barrel as far as game implementation goes. Zero effort fast food content, basically. I won't go on any extended rants before we see the rest of the 1.13 patch notes but here's a short list of stuff I would have preferred to see before yet another effing assault rifle:

P1, Deringer, Red-9. Longhorn pistols

RAK smg

Trumpet .22 (useless piece of crap, but it has its place as an internal mag .22 peashooter that lowbies can use to pop zeds or annoy other newspawns..)

AUG (Another boring AR, but at least it was in Legacy, plus it's a bullpup and therefore completely different from anything else in the game animationwise. Modders would appreciate this a lot, since any bullpup added through mods uses wildly mismatched animations.)

Improvised Bow and arrows (REALLY, we're two and a half bloody years into post production and this fundamental thing for lowbie and nomad survial is till not in?!?)

Stabbing animations and improvised spears. We can stab with bayonets, so finish up this animation now so we get the pointy stick dueling back!

Rest of the leather crafting. Leathercrafting is in, all the actual clothes are functional in the files (except for the knife sheath, it protudes out of the wearer's butt) so just unlock the rest of the recipes now. And dyeing.

Spray painting guns. The painted variants are in the game already,  a variety of mods use them to implement this - so get it into vanilla...

The aforementioned bipod attachment and deployment implementation

There is (a lot) more, but those are the first that come to mind. Except for the AUG and bow (animations...) they should be pretty much effortless to implement, indeed less work than the M16A2 burst mode, so please just get on it...

Edited by Derleth
  • Like 2
  • Beans 1

12 minutes ago, Buakaw said:

Random youtube suggestion. I kinda wish the base game was more like this.

I especially like that bullets go where the gun points (notice how the arbitrary, extreme "dispersion" from vanilla is removed) but guns are hard to control.

That mod is incredible, once I get the modded scopes I use working with it I will not run a server without it. It is how the game should be.

• Beans 2

52 minutes ago, Derleth said:

That mod is incredible, once I get the modded scopes I use working with it I will not run a server without it. It is how the game should be.

I agree, game lacks a lot of depth when it comes to gun handling and mechanics. I never imagine something like this would be possible with a mod, but it's amazing. Kudos to the mod maker(s), hopefully this inspired DayZ devs to make changes to Vanilla game.

14 minutes ago, DefectiveWater said:

I agree, game lacks a lot of depth when it comes to gun handling and mechanics. I never imagine something like this would be possible with a mod, but it's amazing. Kudos to the mod maker(s), hopefully this inspired DayZ devs to make changes to Vanilla game.

I kinda gave up on that with the seemingly arbitrary changes since 1.00. It's fine tho, I will continue playing on heavily modded servers

There is also apparently that new glitch where when you wear a vest, the arms are protected by the vest too. It would make arms very tanky. How the hell does that happen?

Also, the power difference between coast gear and plate + AR is veeeery stupid now

Edited by Buakaw

26 minutes ago, Buakaw said:

There is also apparently that new glitch where when you wear a vest, the arms are protected by the vest too. It would make arms very tanky. How the hell does that happen?

Also, the power difference between coast gear and plate + AR is veeeery stupid now

They probably went with the simple method; arms are in the same hitbox as the torso. So by putting a vest on the torso's hitbox the arms are included. 

Most likely 3 hitboxes. Legs, torso and head. 

56 minutes ago, McWendy said:

They probably went with the simple method; arms are in the same hitbox as the torso. So by putting a vest on the torso's hitbox the arms are included. 

Most likely 3 hitboxes. Legs, torso and head. 

Head, neck, torso, upper arm, hands, legs, feet are the hitbawkzes, with different health points and multiplicators.

Right now it seems upper arms are affected by armor. I am almost sure it is new to 1.12, but it would make more sense if it was just a bug / poorly programmed since 1.00 instead and has been overlooked so far. Pretty sure noone thoroughly tested hitboxes since 1.00 so can't be sure anyway.

• Like 1

Yeah, today I took a 308 to my arms while wearing a plate. My health remained white, so I literally took less than 19 damage. FROM A 308 WHICH HAS 140-150 BASE DAMAGE.

This shit needs to be fixed ASAP.

edit: see https://feedback.bistudio.com/T159063

Edited by Buakaw
  • Like 2

Also stunlocking is the single dumbest thing that was ever added to any survival game, ever. Especially one with stakes as high as this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

Returning the bow will return 25% of the lost players.

Returning the spear will return another 15%.

I would also add  tripwires for flares or grenade.

Under-barrel grenade launchers (very fun) are also not bad, but the bow is more important.

Edited by maxon-69
  • Like 1
  • Beans 1

I don't necessarily disagree, but on what data do you base those interesting figures of how many lost players would return from this or that feature?

Yes, the bow is a vital part of survival gameplay that has been left out for far, far too long. But would its return spark a great floodwave of returning players who have quit? I honestly doubt that - but it would sure has heck contribute to keep more old-timers playing. 

As it stands I hear the DayZ dev team actually has no animator - and are not allowed to hire one or "borrow" from other BI departments. So for bows, spears or any other feature involving animations that is very bad news. In short, not gonna happen. Hence in 1.13 they're adding what is basically a reskinned M4 with longer barrel instead of e.g. the Aug.

This is just hearsay, mind you - but as long as devs won't talk about these things it is hard to not get worried...

• Like 1

I'm just guessing, these numbers aren't a guarantee. Those who follow the project but do not play, I know there are such people. They're probably waiting for a change. Many people are nostalgic for the 0.62 patch things when all this was in the game. And I think they will be happy to return for old and forgotten things in the game. Without animators, it's bad, oh, how I wish it wasn't true. Let's hope for the best. It would be cool if the developers collected all the best modings and released the PREMIUM version. I'd be willing to pay for it. And you don't have to do anything and you would have earned money. But they don't hear. What are they doing right now? I would very much like to hear their roadmap.

Edited by maxon-69

The bow really needs to put back in. WITH decent animation. 

Its perfect for silently taking out infected 

Its perfect for taking out wild game

Its perfect for increase in interactions (scavaging a chicken coup for feathers makes you vulnerable)

Its perfect to decrease walking armories (takes a large weapon slot) 

Its perfect for a survival apocalyptic feel

Its perfect for a fresh Spawn to gather the needed materials..

Basically its Just perfect 🙂

Did i say perfect allready? 😉

• Like 2
  • Beans 2

14 minutes ago, McWendy said:

The bow really needs to put back in. WITH decent animation. 

Its perfect for silently taking out infected 

Its perfect for taking out wild game

Its perfect for increase in interactions (scavaging a chicken coup for feathers makes you vulnerable)

Its perfect to decrease walking armories (takes a large weapon slot) 

Its perfect for a survival apocalyptic feel

Its perfect for a fresh Spawn to gather the needed materials..

Basically its Just perfect 🙂

Did i say perfect allready? 😉

I agree, it is indeed perfect. I think I'll fire up 0.62 offline and go make one just to torture myself...

There are several mods out there adding crossbows and bows that work fairly well except for the animations (rifle reloading...). With the new animation framework mod that was teased recently modders will have a much easier time to add custom animations, so there is some hope at least. From the actual DayZ devs I have just about lost all hope to see anything but bugfixing, balance tweaks and reskinned/model variatons to existing weapons. Which would actually be fine if a bow mod with proper animations appeared... The more polished the base game is the more stable mods will become. Win-win.

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

2 hours ago, Derleth said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but on what data do you base those interesting figures of how many lost players would return from this or that feature?

Yes, the bow is a vital part of survival gameplay that has been left out for far, far too long. But would its return spark a great floodwave of returning players who have quit?

No is the answer to that.

I'd wager the vast majority of players couldn't give a toss about the bow and probably even less would care now that suppressors do a quiet job against infected.

• Beans 1

2 hours ago, Derleth said:

As it stands I hear the DayZ dev team actually has no animator - and are not allowed to hire one or "borrow" from other BI departments.

If that's true, it's most definitely not a good sign.