Kyiara

Experimental Update 1.12 (Changelog)

On 3/31/2021 at 11:14 PM, Kyiara said:
  • You now have to peel potatoes to make them edible

This may be optional extra bonus in kcal instead of a must.

------------------

What would be the difference between landmine and beartrap ? It does not make sense landmine not to instant kill.

I would say it should instant kill everyone in close range. (who stepped in)

It should break leg and knock out in medium range.

Making a landmine less dangerous then a grenade is non sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Andrei Amarfii said:

This may be optional extra bonus in kcal instead of a must.

------------------

What would be the difference between landmine and beartrap ? It does not make sense landmine not to instant kill.

I would say it should instant kill everyone in close range. (who stepped in)

It should break leg and knock out in medium range.

Making a landmine less dangerous then a grenade is non sense.

Its called balancing, if you think that sacrificing good gameplay for 100% realism is the way to go then you know nothing about game development and how to make a good game. Also, if you really thought about it, you would realise how this will create more cool moments. Such as getting hit by a landmine someone placed hours ago, instead of dying instantly for no reason, you now get crippled and have to think fast before zombies/players are attracted to the explosion. Plus, the difference is a landmine can knock you uncon allowing someone to use the landmines uncon capability as a way of creating more interesting interactions.

Edited by Guest

@Andrei Amarfii @BJayLee I think that you both would be pleased to hear that in real life anti-personnel mines are mainly supposed to maim people to increase the logistic involved in the treat of the victim, instead of killing. So with this tweak, DayZ aproaches to a better realism at the same time as to a better gameplay, favoring what you both have writen.

That said, I take the opportunity to warn that mines in real life should be outlawed throughout the world since almost all their damage has been done in peacetime, maiming/killing civilians and mainly children playing in the fields. There are a lot of mines still putted somewhere even decades after the wars.

I'm split on the zombies losing aggro on unconscious players. While I can appreciate the increased possibility of waking up from a crazy fight, I also liked grinning from a corner watching zombies tear apart a guy I caused to go uncon. Kinda dark, but whatever. Seems realistic. From what I've played on this patch so far I'm really enjoying it. Meeting many people in-game saying they like how far DayZ has come. I have to agree. There are many groundbreaking changes I never thought I'd see and I'm delighted to play this game even after 6 years.

On Xbox, high pop servers seem to still be breaking zombies, causing them to aggro in place. Also, something seems to have gone right with the exp build on Xbox as far as hand desync goes. On stable, official servers that get good traffic, I was dealing with hand desync literally every couple of minutes: change the zero on your scope? Hands are broken. Make a fire? Hands are broken. My last death on stable was caused by me putting up fisticuffs at a guy with a rifle in one hand after I made a fire, lmao. I haven't had a SINGLE instance of hand desync on exp server yet, though. Idk if the cause is base building, networking issues, or my crappy internet, but something's better on exp.

If its April jokes ignore my frustration, if it's not, are you devs legit having a giggle?

-.9mm having the same dmg as .45? .......... So making 9mm pistols and submachine guns better than the .45 ones, as 9mm weapons now have the same damage, smaller recoil due smaller caliber, higher rite rate and usually more ammo capacity... So.. what's the point on having .45 if its just negative things compared to 9mm? No way someone legit thought this was a good idea, I sure hope its April fools but everything has its limits, come on..

-You have to peel a potato before you eat it? Imagine starving in real life in an apocalypse, having a potato with you which is what you need so you dont start immediately to death, but you can't eat it because you dont have a knife to peel it lool. Your teeth must be very delicate, why not make the same for apples then? Its an apocalypse, not master chef's kitchen, it's more than possible to eat unpeeled potatoes...

-Doors agro'ing zombies? Can't you open a door quietly irl? All I want is a horde of zombies coming to me as I'm going through houses looking for food in a starting city, no doubt.

Edit: The stun gives other people no chance to react when they get shot at first. Please dont. It's already hard as it is to react to an unexpected close encounters, with a stun.. it's RIP to whoever shoots second.

Edited by Outw0rld
typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I hope there will be a simple variable to remove the staggering from bullets by server owners. Otherwise I'll have to sit out a wipe.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Buakaw said:

I hope there will be a simple variable to remove the staggering from bullets by server owners. Otherwise I'll have to sit out a wipe.

I really hope that next experimental addresses this, stagger will bring literally nothing good for PVP. It will just make it frustrating for PVP players, and PVE players will get donked by PVP players even more because they won't be able to react because of the stun.

Zombie changes are good, there is still room for improvement, but these PVP (ammo, stagger) changes are questionable at times, and "ok" at times.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 5:54 PM, Derleth said:

Personally my first impressions after watching the video is that this can be really fun. I know pvp people will hate the stun/stagger when getting hit - but again this is not call of doody. If you're hit by a rifle round, armoured or not, you will not sprint on as if nothing happened. If I called the shots I would have taken it a step further by knocking players to the ground and reduce temp stamina to zero (=getting the air knocked out of your lungs..)

I respect your opinion dude, your an active community member & have some great ideas. But remember the vast majority of gamers want escapism not realism. If you go down the realism road one knife hit to the neck or inner thigh would be an insta kill in game, we wouldn't need 36 tins of beans to fill our bellies & then not eat for a week & most players would have zero idea how to fill a mag or rack a round making guns pointless. Never mind most gun shot wounds would mean bleeding out in less then 30 seconds. Making rounds as deadly as they are in real life doesnt make the game less PvP centric it makes it more so, as people realise they can sit in a bush for 8hrs & one tap people all day long, further removing depth & player choice. If you don't gamify ballistics & cater to your largest market audience then your game withers & dies. Not saying everything should cater to PvP players though. Lets be real DayZ netcode & server performance are so awful anyone playing DayZ for enriching combat is an idiot already. As always just my two cents & I am but a flawed human lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Outw0rld said:

-.9mm having the same dmg as .45? .......... So making 9mm pistols and submachine guns better than the .45 ones, as 9mm weapons now have the same damage, smaller recoil due smaller caliber, higher rite rate and usually more ammo capacity... So.. what's the point on having .45 if its just negative things compared to 9mm? No way someone legit thought this was a good idea, I sure hope its April fools but everything has its limits, come on..

The .45 has more shock, it can knock out faster.

1 hour ago, TheYetiBum said:

If you don't gamify ballistics

They did gamify ballistics! 

1 hour ago, TheYetiBum said:

I respect your opinion dude, your an active community member & have some great ideas. But remember the vast majority of gamers want escapism not realism. If you go down the realism road one knife hit to the neck or inner thigh would be an insta kill in game, we wouldn't need 36 tins of beans to fill our bellies & then not eat for a week & most players would have zero idea how to fill a mag or rack a round making guns pointless. Never mind most gun shot wounds would mean bleeding out in less then 30 seconds. Making rounds as deadly as they are in real life doesnt make the game less PvP centric it makes it more so, as people realise they can sit in a bush for 8hrs & one tap people all day long, further removing depth & player choice. If you don't gamify ballistics & cater to your largest market audience then your game withers & dies. Not saying everything should cater to PvP players though. Lets be real DayZ netcode & server performance are so awful anyone playing DayZ for enriching combat is an idiot already. As always just my two cents & I am but a flawed human lol

There's gamifying and there's gamifying. DayZ has always been a niche game, intended to be a survival game with PvP elements, not a pvp game with survival elements. That's an important distinction to remember. Still, I can definitely see how a "stun" that means an animation lock will frustrate players - it definitely needs to see a lot of testing and I dearly hope all the people complaining about it hop on Experimental and try it themselves, instead of watching a video clip of a few seconds and then rage on the feedback tracker. I've heard a few players say they'll quit the game who haven't even logged in on exp yet. That's just...I dunno. Rash?

The patch brings a lot of various changes to damage, ballistics, shock etc and to know how it works out as a whole a short video is not enough. I've played about 8 hours total of this patch so far, and apart from my splitting axe now hitting like a wet noodle I really enjoy everything in it.

All that said, I believe they should work more with stamina - and return the violent weapon sway that you had in 0.62 after sprinting. So instead of a locked stun animation on getting hit, you'd for example have a brief "flinch" (that doesn't stop movement) and get a big chunk of your temp stamina knocked down. So you'd be slowed but not stopped in your tracks. I think that would be a more fluid way of doing it. In any case I will never agree that someone should be able to sprint on and return fire as if nothing happened after taking direct hit from a rifle round. That's simply too gamey to be in DayZ as I see it. 

Also, considering the wild damage buffs to AR rounds and most firefights taking place at short range, I bet most players will see a lot more of the black screen and "You are dead" than of the stagger animation. The stagger is something that will mostly apply to players with body armour. So as I said before, more testing is needed..

Edited by Derleth
  • Like 3
  • Beans 1

On 4/3/2021 at 7:10 AM, DefectiveWater said:

Everything I said has no basis on real numbers and they might not be 1:1 as how it is in reality, but it's my view from game balance standpoint. I just wanted to comment my view on the topic. Other details like bullet velocity and air friction I have no clue about.

You got it close anyways, if you based damage on muzzle energy alone, if 5.56 was 55 damage, then 5.45mm would be about 48-50, and 7.62x39 would be about 65-68.

And recoil impulse about 5.0, 5.6, and 7.6 kg*m/s for 5.45, 5.56, and 7.62x39 (11.7 kg*m/s for .308).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Derleth said:

There's gamifying and there's gamifying. DayZ has always been a niche game, intended to be a survival game with PvP elements, not a pvp game with survival elements. That's an important distinction to remember. Still, I can definitely see how a "stun" that means an animation lock will frustrate players - it definitely needs to see a lot of testing and I dearly hope all the people complaining about it hop on Experimental and try it themselves, instead of watching a video clip of a few seconds and then rage on the feedback tracker. I've heard a few players say they'll quit the game who haven't even logged in on exp yet. That's just...I dunno. Rash?

The patch brings a lot of various changes to damage, ballistics, shock etc and to know how it works out as a whole a short video is not enough. I've played about 8 hours total of this patch so far, and apart from my splitting axe now hitting like a wet noodle I really enjoy everything in it.

All that said, I believe they should work more with stamina - and return the violent weapon sway that you had in 0.62 after sprinting. So instead of a locked stun animation on getting hit, you'd for example have a brief "flinch" (that doesn't stop movement) and get a big chunk of your temp stamina knocked down. So you'd be slowed but not stopped in your tracks. I think that would be a more fluid way of doing it. In any case I will never agree that someone should be able to sprint on and return fire as if nothing happened after taking direct hit from a rifle round. That's simply too gamey to be in DayZ as I see it. 

Also, considering the wild damage buffs to AR rounds and most firefights taking place at short range, I bet most players will see a lot more of the black screen and "You are dead" than of the stagger animation. The stagger is something that will mostly apply to players with body armour. So as I said before, more testing is needed..

I completely agree with you on this one. This is the first iteration and it needs tweaks for sure. But the part that dayz is a survival game with PvP elements and not a PvP game with survival elements is spot on! And even if it's not super polished right now, I like where it's going. People are complaining about a stun, but the game is WAY too arcady right now, so it's a nice change I think. 

7 hours ago, Outw0rld said:

-.9mm having the same dmg as .45? .......... So making 9mm pistols and submachine guns better than the .45 ones

.45 stuns the target now

49 minutes ago, -Gews- said:

They did gamify ballistics! 

You cheeky so & so, you know what I meant. If the game had true ballistic values the servers would probably explode lol joking. By gamify the ballistics I mean bring them more in line with other titles of a similar genre.

41 minutes ago, Derleth said:

Oh yes the wet noodle splitting axe did have me creased up whilst testing , also the further iteration of an supposed stealth kill on Infected that forces you to stand therefore causing more aggro from other infected with LOS on your character rendering the whole endeavour somewhat lack lustre. Also lets be real there is very little variation in DayZ combat compared to most modern shooters such as Escape from Tarkov or even the dreaded COD, the vanilla weapon pool is tiny & your either armoured or not. Even the shock, blood & health mechanic is woefully outdated mechanically. Don't get me wrong I love DayZ & I too with all my heart wish it actually were a survival game, but just because that's what it says on the tin doesn't mean that is contained there in lol. Content creation flew this little genre game into the stratosphere & most of said content was PvP & the PvP'ers came flooding in & that's all she wrote. Now the majority of all private servers on PC & Console are x50 loot, x10 heli crash, etc. Whilst the majority of servers offering an even harder hardcore survival experience go untouched. If the Dev team wished to promote a Survival experience they should have focused more on survival elements, crafting, building, weather cycles with changing asset by season & a more robust server structure to handle vehicles more effectively. But they pandered to where the moneys coming from, which is the smart business choice but took the game away from survival. Minecraft is literally a harder survival game than DayZ & I play DayZ on a server that has constant rain, no food spawns & three hour long nights

1 hour ago, -Gews- said:

You got it close anyways, if you based damage on muzzle energy alone, if 5.56 was 55 damage, then 5.45mm would be about 48-50, and 7.62x39 would be about 65-68.

And recoil impulse about 5.0, 5.6, and 7.6 kg*m/s for 5.45, 5.56, and 7.62x39 (11.7 kg*m/s for .308).

Hire this man already! 😀

Nah for real. Those values seem perfect. The AKM with the slower firerate and high recoil + high damage. The m4 with that ease of use, high velocity and higher firerate (tho I always thought it should be 800 RPM and not 700.. 700 seems too slow and not distinct enough versus AKM), but high maintenance and it's the rarest of all the AR's. The 74 with the best handling, very good ballistics and highest availability.

This would be both realistic and healthy for gameplay.

1 hour ago, Derleth said:

Yeah well, you kinda changed your narrative a little. Fully supporting a 1s stunlock animation is a big difference to what you said here, which seems quite reasonable and is something I think many people could agree on (temporary slow and stamina debuff). I would definitely still keep it on the lighter side tho, so mostly .357, .308 and 754x54 have a high stun potential.

• Like 1

Here I made a comparison, first real life energy drop, second this 1.12 damage drop (assumed) and third, the same but only putting realistic airFrictions.

Current airFrictions:
7.62x39 = -0.00135 (not that bad)
5.45x39 = -0.00165 (ridiculously high)

Realistic airFriction (military bullets):
7.62x39 = -0.00140
5.45x39 = -0.00118

Kinetic energy drop in real life, the 7.62x39 is more powerful, but the 5.45 has better aerodynamics and catches up at longer ranges. It's already pretty close at only 200-300 m.
GbulzOA.png

Now how the rounds look in DayZ 1.12. Real life properties ignored, the 5.45 just gets worse and worse. By only 200 m the 7.62x39 already does 1.5x the damage, and by 600 m it's almost 2x the damage.
5WGdlqk.png

And now keeping all properties the same, the only change is putting realistic airFriction values. Compare to the real life chart. Look at that.
OALCO7L.png

Edited by -Gews-
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Derleth said:

Agreed on pretty much all of that. In particular the extreme nerf on the axe. That's going to really bugger my playing style and I can't say I'm happy about it.

I like the idea of the "stun" being more a case of disorientation, rather than a "lock" for the player. At least that might give someone a fighting chance to get to some cover and get their shit together in certain circumstances. Assuming that there's some distance involved. In CQ, the reality should be whoever shoots first wins the day in any case.

This is going to be an odd iteration of DayZ I think.

In any way, I find myself generally not liking where the game is going ATM, especially when all the tweeks in this patch are coupled with the regular sever wipe proposal that was announced a couple of weeks ago.

Dear Devs

Here's some free advice, dont listen to anyone's feedback unless they give logical reasoning behind why its better for the game and more enjoyable. All these comments about having ballistics realistic, instead of balanced for good gameplay, and yet no one can give a reason to why its better or more fun, simply because its not. I have already explained all the reasoning behind why its not better in previous comments and im not repeating myself again just because people are illogical and cant understand basic reasoning. I hope you guys realise that good/enjoyable gameplay is more important than realism, and if you want DayZ to succeed, sacrificing good gameplay for realism is not the way to go. A game like this, you implement realism as much as you can if it adds to the game experience, not ruin it.

I cant understand this drama with stun. People seems to go with the argument "the first who shoot will win"........

And yes.....as it should be maybe???!!!!

What's wrong whit the fact that if you get hit you would have a lot of your ability '''paused'' or badly nerfed for a little time???

In my opinion, is what it is now that's weird and very bad.

People get shot and......well nothing!!!

They continue to run, they continue to zig zag, they continue to have perfect ability to aim and fire back at least for the whole time a standard firefight last. Really this seems fine to all of you?

If the game will turn in "the first who shoot will win", sure the game now is "the better zig zag dancer and laser shooter win" and I really dont know why the second should be better than the first.

Edited by Roddis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Roddis said:

I cant understand this drama with stun. People seems to go with the argument "the first who shoot will win"........

What's wrong whit the fact that if you get hit you would have a lot of your ability '''paused'' or badly nerfed for a little time???

They continue to run, they continue to zig zag, they continue to have perfect ability to aim and fire back at least for the whole time a standard firefight last. Really this seems fine to all of you?

If the game will turn in "the first who shoot will win", sure the game now is "the better zig zag dancer and laser shooter win" and I really dont know why the second should be better than the first.

Because this is a massive nerf to bolt actions, and a MASSIVE buff to semi autos and full autos, you either die in one shot because of questionable damage balance, or you live long enough to get stunned for 4 shots by M4, that's like 3 seconds of not being able to do anything, just being perma stun locked. Imagine being perma stunned by a UMP or M1911. Firing first should be a win because you fired first, not because game said "oh you can't do anything now, wait for a half a second until the animation is done".

Game should reward good aim, not give you easy kills if you land a single shot out of 30 rounds in the m4 (even easier with 60 round mags). The real issue is zig-zagging, and adding stun to EVERYTHING larger than 9mm is NOT the way to approach it, such a roundabout way of fixing the movement. 

Zig zagging is bad, stun locking from ANYTHING larger than 9mm is even worse. As I already said handful of times, I would settle for stun only on: 7.62x54mmr and .308.
Other calibers like 7.62x39 and 5.56 COULD maybe, just maybe, lower your movement speed by like 10-15% for like half a second, OR make your screen flinch.

Fix the zig zagging the proper way, and that is by reworking item weight and character acceleration so that dudes with 3 guns and full field backpacks and plates can't do that stuff. If you are heavy, you change direction slower, if you are heavy, you have worse running speed.
Yet somehow in DayZ, all you get by playing with no plate and only a single gun is.... more stamina. So chasing super ultra duper geared characters get's dumb because their stamina regens as fast as yours, their running speed is the same as yours...

Edited by DefectiveWater
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BJayLee said:

Dear Devs

Here's some free advice, dont listen to anyone's feedback unless they give logical reasoning behind why its better for the game and more enjoyable. All these comments about having ballistics realistic, instead of balanced for good gameplay, and yet no one can give a reason to why its better or more fun, simply because its not. I have already explained all the reasoning behind why its not better in previous comments and im not repeating myself again just because people are illogical and cant understand basic reasoning. I hope you guys realise that good/enjoyable gameplay is more important than realism, and if you want DayZ to succeed, sacrificing good gameplay for realism is not the way to go. A game like this, you implement realism as much as you can if it adds to the game experience, not ruin it.

REAL ballistics = EVERYTHING (or at least majority, some things need to be nerfed because it's a game afterall) is based/inspired (keyword, inspired) by reality, but certain things like "Hit Points" that don't exist IRL can't be translated correctly, you don't want to have 5.56 one shotting in-game, but... Neither does it make sense that 7.62x39 does same damage as the smaller 5.56.  9mm having the same damage as .45, doesn't make much sense.
Balance should be inspired by reality, it should make some sense.

Somehow, 5.45x39, 5.56 and 7.62x39 are doing: 75, 100, and 100 damage respectively. So they know that smaller bullet = less damage, so why does 5.56 have the same damage as 7.62x39.

I'm fine with some compromise, but 5.56 dealing 100 damage?!?! WTF, and .45 causing the same flinch as Slugs or 7.62x54mmr!??

Edited by DefectiveWater
just stuff, changed wording, changed some numbers

45 minutes ago, Roddis said:

"The first who shoot will win" is not how it should be, that type of pvp has no outplay potential and makes combat interactions over in one easily placed body shot. At that point its not even a interaction you're just dead. It's a dumbed-down style of combat that requires no mid-combat decision making, therefore losing the intense heart racing moments in DayZ that make it's pvp so unique. No game gets your heart going like DayZ.

Imagine spending hours going on a journey as you do, then out of nowhere, dying or getting knocked out instantly to one body shot, where's the intensity or enjoyment. It's simply bad gameplay and boring, all for what, just so you can say the game is a little more realistic.

Now imagine the same thing except you dont get one shot, now you have to think fast and get behind cover before the shooter re-adjusts his aim. Then you start to realise zombies are aggroing on the shooters position, giving you a better understanding of his position, you can then use that info to either peek and take a shot or bandage and use the info you have to flank appropriately. Meanwhile the shooter has the choice to stand his ground or reposition knowing that you could be flanking his original position or trying to flee depending on his health levels which should vary depending on the gun/ammunition you shot him with. This type of pvp adds depth, player choice and intensity to combat interactions.

Not only that but it makes each and every combat interaction different and unique as there are so many different choices/actions you can do to affect how the interaction plays out, not to mention the in-game variables that can affect those choices/actions. Such as your food/hydration levels, current weather conditions, zombies/animals and even your weaponry. Maybe you identify the shooters gun from sound or by how much damage it did and comparing that information with your own weaponry, you might take a completely different approach to the engagement than usual.

I have only scratched the surface of how this type of pvp can playout and differ, all the while creating an intense heart-racing experience. Whereas, your "the first who shoot will win" combat is as stated above, dumbed-down, boring and unrewarding.

Please give me a logical explanation to why you think your wanted version of combat is better, instead of the childish, "it's suppose to be realistic" shit. It's a game, meant for enjoyment, not a real life simulator.

27 minutes ago, DefectiveWater said:

REAL ballistics = EVERYTHING (or at least majority, some things need to be nerfed because it's a game afterall) is based/inspired (keyword, inspired) by reality, but certain things like "Hit Points" that don't exist IRL can't be translated correctly, you don't want to have 5.56 one shotting in-game, but... Neither does it make sense that 7.62x39 does same damage as the smaller 5.56.  9mm having the same damage as .45, doesn't make much sense.
Balance should be inspired by reality, it should make some sense.

Somehow, 5.45x39, 5.56 and 7.62x39 are doing: 75, 100, and 100 damage respectively. So they know that smaller bullet = less damage, so why does 5.56 have the same damage as 7.62x39.

I'm fine with some compromise, but 5.56 dealing 100 damage?!?! WTF, and .45 causing the same flinch as Slugs or 7.62x54mmr!??

Yes they should use reality to get a baseline for the ammunition stats(health/shock damage, friction, velocity) and then balance appropriately for better more enjoyable combat interactions. But in 1.12, all top tier ammunition(apart from 5.45x39 and 9x39) 1 shot kill so whats the point of differentiating between weaponry, there is no progression its just find any weapon that isn't a pistol with the exclusion of the ka74 and vss/sval which only 2 shot people instead of 1. It's stupid, blows my mind. I've seen comments saying that .357 is awful now because it 2 shots instead of 1?