p4nnus

Should a DayZ vet make a return AKA are the "flavor features" there already?

Hello!

Ive been taking a long break from DayZ. I personally think that BIs decision to launch DayZ in such a incomplete state was a middle finger to us vets. Anyways, I dont want to play a shell of DayZ, I want to have the vanilla features back. For example, are bones already in the game or does anyone know when? Im asking here as I havent been paying attention lately and I know theres people here who can answer this honestly.

Bones are back, fishing is back, a lot of things are back, not everything though.  Why not just try it?  Namalsk has just been released and it's amazing.  Play on a hardcore server and be prepared to get your ass kicked btw.  DayZ SA is in a better state now than it's ever been IMO.  Does it have all the features of .62?  No.  Is it bug free?  No.  Is it an amazing game to play?  Hell yeah.

Just try it, bruh.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

I love console version, though as said above there is still room to add/fix things. But it's got a lot going on with hunting, survival, base building, etc. I'm guessing you're on pc, so you have all the modded content too of course. 

1 hour ago, drgullen said:

Bones are back, fishing is back, a lot of things are back, not everything though.  Why not just try it?  Namalsk has just been released and it's amazing.  Play on a hardcore server and be prepared to get your ass kicked btw.  DayZ SA is in a better state now than it's ever been IMO.  Does it have all the features of .62?  No.  Is it bug free?  No.  Is it an amazing game to play?  Hell yeah.

Just try it, bruh.

Thanks for letting me know. Bones are the most important legacy feature that was missing when DayZ launched. Is Namalsk an official map? If DayZ SA doesnt have choppers in it, as a legacy feature, its not at the best state. Bones are 50% of what I wanted for the full experience and choppers are the missing 50%, but Ill give it a try based on what you said.

56 minutes ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

I love console version, though as said above there is still room to add/fix things. But it's got a lot going on with hunting, survival, base building, etc. I'm guessing you're on pc, so you have all the modded content too of course. 

I dont like mods. Most of the modded servers have way too DM like gameplay, theres way too much of everything everywhere and so on. HC vanilla is more to my liking. Thanks for your input!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, p4nnus said:

Thanks for letting me know. Bones are the most important legacy feature that was missing when DayZ launched. Is Namalsk an official map? If DayZ SA doesnt have choppers in it, as a legacy feature, its not at the best state. Bones are 50% of what I wanted for the full experience and choppers are the missing 50%, but Ill give it a try based on what you said.

I dont like mods. Most of the modded servers have way too DM like gameplay, theres way too much of everything everywhere and so on. HC vanilla is more to my liking. Thanks for your input!

Yeah, I'm hardcore vanilla too, I prefer the challenge. I hope the game in its current state scratches the itch for you. 

• Like 1

Some cool stuff is still missing but a lot of really cool (mostly small) features are there instead.

Broken *legs* are back, yes. I would also say that the game is better than ever before.

4 hours ago, p4nnus said:

Is Namalsk an official map?

No, it's a mod, but not just any mod.  It has been worked on for years now by a BI employee who is now in charge of DayZ overall (goes by the handle Sumrak) and he held back the release of the map until the game itself was ready for it, kind of along the lines of what you are talking about.  Namalsk needed some of the old features back into the game first.

Choppers are in only in mods, most specifically one called DayZ Expansion that adds a lot of extra things.  I don't see helis ever coming back to vanilla at this point myself.

Sadly it's all about PvP now, not like back in the good old days, but it's still entertaining. Check out Namalsk!

• Like 1

Why does a veteran of the game have so many questions about the game, including “should I play it?”  You already bought it, the best gauge is trying it out for yourself!

As a vet, you should know how to get answers to these easy questions. 

• Confused 1

On 12/11/2020 at 12:20 AM, Pyongo Bongo said:

Some cool stuff is still missing but a lot of really cool (mostly small) features are there instead.

Broken *legs* are back, yes. I would also say that the game is better than ever before

Are *legs* somehow different from legs? Is it simulated in a different way than it was before?

On 12/11/2020 at 1:13 AM, drgullen said:

No, it's a mod, but not just any mod.  It has been worked on for years now by a BI employee who is now in charge of DayZ overall (goes by the handle Sumrak) and he held back the release of the map until the game itself was ready for it, kind of along the lines of what you are talking about.  Namalsk needed some of the old features back into the game first.

Choppers are in only in mods, most specifically one called DayZ Expansion that adds a lot of extra things.  I don't see helis ever coming back to vanilla at this point myself.

Thats what I thought.. Im aware of the map and Ive played it in the mod too, I knew it was in the making but understood from what you said that its been taken as an official map. But yeah, looking forward to trying it.

I saw a video of the chopper mod, it looks laughably bad, Im gonna give it a few more years. Hoping BI will implement them to vanilla, its pretty much another failed promise if not.

On 12/11/2020 at 5:49 AM, Parazight said:

Why does a veteran of the game have so many questions about the game, including “should I play it?”  You already bought it, the best gauge is trying it out for yourself!

As a vet, you should know how to get answers to these easy questions. 

I was not at home and didnt even have the game installed. Saw some reddit post about the game and thought Id just ask people here, as I know Id get proper answers, maybe even from like-minded people. So yeah, I knew how to get answers to these easy questions, even without the need to dig through 2 years of update logs and without installing the game. Thats exactly what I did. But hey, thanks for your input, it really made a difference! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, p4nnus said:

I saw a video of the chopper mod, it looks laughably bad, Im gonna give it a few more years. Hoping BI will implement them to vanilla, its pretty much another failed promise if not.

Helicopters "will 99% not make it into the game" according to community manager earlier this year.

Namalsk is not official, but the creator is also the DayZ project lead so maybe some people got confused by this.

On 12/11/2020 at 1:09 AM, p4nnus said:

Hello!

Ive been taking a long break from DayZ.

jUST give it a whirl sonny boy, todays dayz (on a hardcore server) defs satisfies my dayz cravings of old, i play on dayzdownunder and its the best community and server i have played on in my 8 year dayz career.

8 hours ago, p4nnus said:

Are *legs* somehow different from legs? Is it simulated in a different way than it was before?

He means legs, as opposed to bones elsewhere on the body. The devs have only made leg bones breakable in other words.

Personally, I hope helicopters are never put into the game. It would be just silly. Having cars is bad enough. Having choppers zipping all over the map will turn it into the absurd.

Edited by Tonyeh

44 minutes ago, Tonyeh said:

I hope helicopters are never put into the game. It would be just silly. Having cars is bad enough. 

agreed, I could do without vehicles of any kind.

3 hours ago, VodkaFish said:

agreed, I could do without vehicles of any kind.

Horses.....

Cmon now- they have been working hard on the vehicles... flipping through the updates at a quick pace shows the progress.  But inless they have already placed alot of effort into the helicopters, I will agree. But if they have- I will be anxious to fly one.

But I will still only walk to it, not sprint at full speed.

Edited by Exxoduss

38 minutes ago, Tonyeh said:

Horses would be eaten. 😁

If bicycles get in, I'd be grand with that.

MUWAHAHAHAHAH

Bicycles and motorcycles HAVE to be in the near future! We already have motorcycle helmets, enduro helmets, and rider jackets. The next logical step is for these features to be implemented after being alluded to. 

DayZ is in a good state right now, much improved from 1.06. This is the best 1.0 iteration so far, in my opinion. My chief complaint would be AI behavior. I have some minor gripes about clothing insulation values (cotton/polyester track pants offer better warmth than gorkas!), water resistance, and wind resistance (again looking at gorkas being completely ineffective, sadly). More emphasis should be placed on hats, shoes, pants, and jackets. A backpack should NOT be the defining factor for whether or not I am comfortable (not everyone wears a backpack my developer friends!).  Back to AI: Animals make way too much noise, walk in circles, and cannot be wounded, they just sprint and act like nothing happened when you find them again. Infected flat out cheat when they are aggro but haven’t yet spotted you. Infected used to run to gun shot locations, which was realistic; now, they aggro in their local area sprinting back and forth if you let off a single shot or a short burst. They will still crowd if you unload a decent amount of ammunition. 

Waiting for archery eagerly! I really want the option to hunt game the traditional way. Animals getting realistically wounded is a must here.

In general, I believe the insulation system will evolve, and it is, after all, the first iteration of this newer mechanic. 

They had archery at one point- I forget which update, but it was before retail. But I threw a sharpened stick yesterday and it threw it like a spear.. I have not yet expanded anymore research into it though. Gorkas will play an important role once they return the rain and get the cold/heat modification with hunger/thirst straightened out, im placing bets on it.

Being part of the DayZ team would be a adventure everyday reading these forums. the massive workloads some of these more simpler additions may cause. My biggest fear as a programmer would be to work so hard on code and get to a specific milestone just to find out you missed something important and have to re-do the entire workload to that point...  

But I could see cruzing around in Dayz with a riders Jacket & a motorcycle helmet all on the back of a mo-ped or a bicycle. If I saw that in game I would lose concealment watching by rolling on the ground laughing trying to hold down my gut. On a motorcycle sure- something that can propell you hundreds of feet through the air...  But then again- Maybe they should allow for seatbelts into the cars as well? hehehe

Edited by Exxoduss

The bow was pretty cool. Silent and efficient.

On 12/15/2020 at 10:26 AM, Tonyeh said:

Personally, I hope helicopters are never put into the game. It would be just silly. Having cars is bad enough. Having choppers zipping all over the map will turn it into the absurd.

Its the true end-game of original DayZ. If you managed to fix and maintain a chopper, people knew you know what youre doing. I think you havent been there to see it, but it was not choppers zipping all over the map. There were maybe 2 per server. As there wasnt this base building included, but people only had tents, choppers were the easiest and fastest way of finding tents. For this reason and other more obvious reasons, choppers were very valuable and to get one or to shoot one down was truly special.

Sure, some servers might have them zipping all over the map, but then again we have a crap ton of servers now that are super casual TDM arena servers, with loot everywhere and armor that can make you withstand crazy amounts of damage. The servers that you want to play on would have only 1 or 2 choppers. 

Trust me on this one, it didnt take away from the immersion or anything like that.

On 12/20/2020 at 4:18 PM, EzyStriderPS4 said:

Bicycles and motorcycles HAVE to be in the near future! We already have motorcycle helmets, enduro helmets, and rider jackets. The next logical step is for these features to be implemented after being alluded to. 

Not to be a party pooper, but these items have been in the game for quite some time. The fact that they are there is not an indication that said features would be close to implementation. 

On 12/15/2020 at 4:07 AM, -Gews- said:

Helicopters "will 99% not make it into the game" according to community manager earlier this year.

That sucks.. can you provide a source for this?

On 12/20/2020 at 8:49 PM, FunkInYourTrunk said:

if there is no bow, its a no go.  add all they want, no reinstall untill they bring my craftable bow back

I feel you man. Bows are not a "flavor feature" for me either. Its absolutely disrespectful for BI to make base building be an important feature with a big emphasis, but then vanilla features like bows, bones and choppers are forgotten. I will boycott BI from now on most probably. Theyve shown how they cant be trusted. Also, the ARMA 3 microtransactions are absolutely horrible and overpriced. The future for BI doesnt look good. 

• Beans 2

On 1/25/2021 at 1:42 PM, p4nnus said:

Its the true end-game of original DayZ.

I don't care.

I still want that axe stuck in the tree stump.