Greensek

Experimental Update 1.07

Hey @Greensek Can i just say that you guys (devs) really need to focus a whole update or atleast a huge chunk of an update to improving the lighting and Shadows... like total overhaul. Shadows look really unrealistic and very light.. i would suggest to look at lighting of Expansion mod... especially interior lighting... those shadows are just.. Mmmm noice... this will add a big atmosphere to DayZ.. it's really crucial

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Greensek said:

CHANGED

• Removed: Paper write/read actions

Nooo, why? Is this a planned feature that needs more work? We need ittt

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Beans 2

Impressive update

Dropping barrels on slopes is so much fun now 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Beans 1

18 hours ago, Greensek said:

Hello Survivors, 

It's great to see that so many of you are participating in the Experimental servers.

Thank you very much for your feedback and bug report, everything is being sent to the dev team.

Let us know if you find anything else that needs to be addressed.

Thank you!

Please nail that Inventory Bug.
While yes DayZ has its share of bugs, most aren't game breaking but the inventory bug really is hitting that game breaking line.

On 1/29/2020 at 10:29 AM, Greensek said:

SERVER

• Added: Ability to choose between bright and dark nights through a server config parameter lightingConfig (0 for bright, 1 for dark)

I've been a big advocate on nights since 2014 and I can't believe I'm actually going to say this, but the bright setting on current experimental is slightly too bight. Is there anyway we could set it ourselves by a range of values or a slider? Kinda like how time acceleration works server-side perhaps? Thank you for your work.

• Like 2

yesterday i had a problem getting short sticks in to my hands. when i splittet them to just one at the time it worked. so i was kind of busy getting sticks to my campfire.

shouldnt i be able to open a can with a stone knive? just asking.

and i kinda wondered why i would find a car-cooler spawning in the middle of a fieldstreet.

also at dawn mi GI was flickering, you might wanna look into that.

and on experimental and on stable livonia dlc it seems a bit to harsh how damn fast a fully eaten stomach is empty so fast. i understand you would up the hungriness a bit to force mor of a food hassle, but it seems a bit to strong and "unrealistic" in means of. once we hat way much more time to find something to eat.

and i second everyone on the night topic. if there is a way to get more bouncelight an speculars from the moon, id prefer that.

keep up the good work

MathTheRender

• Like 1

15 hours ago, radamantyz said:

@Greensek Hey, the light sources disappear when you move away for more than 100m, It's an old problem and it's still happening, now that the lighting has changed, I think it's a good time to address it

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T146356

Reported to the team, thank you!

12 hours ago, repzaj1234 said:

Nooo, why? Is this a planned feature that needs more work? We need ittt

We feel that we still need more time of development to have notes ready for the game.

Still working on it. 😉

1 hour ago, MathTheRender said:

Could you provide us more detail about this one?

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 2

1 hour ago, Greensek said:

(about light flickering at dawn)

tail about this one?

Thank you.

I'm assuming he's referring to the old issue with light/shadows flickering on/off when the sun is on the horizon. I believe it is due to the game getting confused about what should/should not be casting a shadow when the sun is low, so shadows will flick on/off (or rather between two locations) in an unnatural way. It also seems to react to camera angle, by using free look you can pan around and make shadows flick on and off depending on where you look. This also applies to other light sources. I believe there are several tickets already on the feedback tracker.

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T137872 ; https://feedback.bistudio.com/T130277; https://feedback.bistudio.com/T128810; A few tickets I found. In the first one there's a recent video where you can see how it also affects light from a road flare, depending on camera angle and eye zoom.

Edited by Derleth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

3 hours ago, MathTheRender said:

Could you provide us more detail about this one? 

It also happens at night in different light sources.
The formation of a ray of light disappears, depending on the direction of view of the camera.

Edited by lex__1
  • Like 1

Hello Survivors, 

From 2pm to 4pm CET,  the DayZ Team will be playing on the Experimental Servers to test the new 1.07 update.

You can find us here: DayZ UK 0-1 (Experimental/Unstable)

Come say hi, we are friendly 😈

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Derleth said:

I'm assuming he's referring to the old issue with light/shadows flickering on/off when the sun is on the horizon. I believe it is due to the game getting confused about what should/should not be casting a shadow when the sun is low, so shadows will flick on/off (or rather between two locations) in an unnatural way. It also seems to react to camera angle, by using free look you can pan around and make shadows flick on and off depending on where you look. This also applies to other light sources. I believe there are several tickets already on the feedback tracker.

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T137872 ; https://feedback.bistudio.com/T130277; https://feedback.bistudio.com/T128810; A few tickets I found. In the first one there's a recent video where you can see how it also affects light from a road flare, depending on camera angle and eye zoom.

yes, this is pretty close to what i expirienced. but i was on a open field near a forest, and the lightened part of the ground flickered. it was really just when the sun got up behind the horizon. i think there was even a forest between me and the sun. so maybe the trees forced the flickering.

im sorry i cant provide video footage of the issue.

• Like 2

Hello Survivors, 

From 2pm to 4pm CET,  the DayZ Team will be playing on the Experimental Servers to test the new 1.07 update.

We don't get to play at work 😄

• Like 3

" Repeater Carbine " YEAH NOOB DEV GIVE US BACK THIS WEAPON AFTER FEW YEARS U DELETED IT FROM THE GAME LIKE EVERYTHING U GAVE TO US.

This game is good only cause of modding by " players " i'm playing since the first day on Standalone and i never see a noob dev team like you before... your uptade sucks, your didnt do what you promised, you deleted lot of status report before 1.0 cause there were lot of thing you said and you never did, when you update this game you always create a lot of bugs and then you wait so much times to fixe it and you call it a finish game ? you just put 1.0 cause you didnt want to be insult one more time by the community cause you couldnt do what you said and then you put this game on PS4 XBOX + DLC livonia to make money but you still sleeping in developpement and fucked us hard.

I always will love this game but i fucking hate you dev in 2021 this game will be the same and 2022 same with full bug you will never end it thats 100% sure like few years when it was lile 3k players online.

58 minutes ago, KajMak64Bit2 said:

I think this is first time i have ever seen devs actually playing Experimental to test the update xD

Progress, seems like they’re becoming a lot more involved and if they keep it up then the futures looking a lot “brighter“!

especially after that lighting update.

not a fan of the new lighting though, fit with the joke.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Greensek said:

Hello Survivors, 

With 2020 around the corner, we are finishing our new roadmap, and we will share our goals, highlight the key updates, and talk a bit about this second year of post-release support, in January.

This coming today?

Right, after 3-4 more hours on exp I have not encountered the inventory bug once.

The new night lighting is actually very nice, both on config 0 and config 1. The problem is in config 1 (1PP) there has been no moon at night so I don't know how it looks with that config + moon. The config 0 finally has proper moonlight with shadows and reflections, which is wonderful to see! Sadly it seems the current cloud model simply cannot be made to look OK at night, the clouds are illuminated across the entire sky making the night sky unnaturally bright which is frustrating. Still a lot better now than in 1.06 though.

In config 1, the sky becomes a lot darker. I assume it was due to the the moon not being up, gonna have to try another night with a moon in the sky to know how the config looks then. Anyway the clouds were a lot darker with this config making the night seem more real, especially when it started raining when it became entirely dark and the stars were obscured.

All in all - getting much better!

Servers are crashy though, I counted three or four crashes this afternoon across the two UK servers.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

@lJamesHalel1 the lighting update is much much better then before... Especially during the day like i can finally see darker shadows.. Previously they were almost non existent... Definitely need more contrast if not more then current... But there is huge good change to lighting of the game... Idk about the night lighting but daytime lighting is amazing.. Much better

• Beans 1

5 hours ago, KajMak64Bit2 said:

I think this is first time i have ever seen devs actually playing Experimental to test the update xD

Yea I remember the last one , where the lead developer didn't know there was a police station in Berezino. You can't make this stuff up. There is a video of it somewhere.

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Supe2licious said:

What is About adding the bear for Cherna?

The bears are in Cherno and have been for a good while. Killed one last week on the western edge of the map - on an offical server.

• Thanks 1

Oh yeah, for anyone interested in the night lighting changes - Sumrak explained the following in the modders discord, it wasn't clear from the original post about the exp servers:

• Experimental 3PP servers are running on light config 0 - which means strong moonlight and generally brighter nights - and the personal night light is OFF.
  • Experimental 1PP servers are running on light config 1 - which means pitch black darkness and darker cluds at night - and the personal night light is ON

The personal night light itself has been reworked, its range has been reduced and it is no longer a sickly green corpse glow, now it just illuminates objects very close to the character. No more green glowy trees in the woods, yay!

• Like 2