Greensek

Stable Update 1.06

14 minutes ago, Parazight said:

Related to stones, what ever happened with Large stones being able to be used as an improvised sharpening stone for limited tools?

Been wondering the same. Probably another victim of the engine change.

Started today fresh, on a server with food spawn decreased. I'm inclined to believe that it's possible (albeit tedious) to live off of chickens alone. With 4 of them in Gliniska and half an hour after respawn, the game is as easy as it always has. 

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

1 hour ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

Started today fresh, on a server with food spawn decreased. I'm inclined to believe that it's possible (albeit tedious) to live off of chickens alone. With 4 of them in Gliniska and half an hour after respawn, the game is as easy as it always has. 

Nice.  It's pretty easy.  My usual go to, as a total fresh spawn in Livonia is to run up and down a dirt road, find a bunch of stones, create some stone knives, kill a chicken, cook and eat the chicken, craft fishing hooks from the bones, and then go fishing.  Or, find a dead survivor, craft hooks from the bones of the dead, and go fishing.  You literally need to loot nothing but ambient spawn.  Water pumps and wild mushrooms to fill in the gaps.  Requires time and patience, but is pretty easy.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

1 hour ago, Parazight said:

Nice.  It's pretty easy.  My usual go to, as a total fresh spawn in Livonia is to run up and down a dirt road, find a bunch of stones, create some stone knives, kill a chicken, cook and eat the chicken, craft fishing hooks from the bones, and then go fishing.  Or, find a dead survivor, craft hooks from the bones of the dead, and go fishing.  You literally need to loot nothing but ambient spawn.  Water pumps and wild mushrooms to fill in the gaps.  Requires time and patience, but is pretty easy.

So you see the end game is fishing. As a fellow hermit i too endorse this playstyle 🤣

• Beans 1

Or you kill an entire herd of animals, bake it and eat it. After that you won't have to eat for a loooong time.

• Beans 1

3 minutes ago, McWendy said:

So you see the end game is fishing. As a fellow hermit i too endorse this playstyle 🤣

now imagine a world where we had bows to bring with us on our hunting/fishing adventures

• Beans 1

A bow for hunting and fishing?! Sounds like An impossible feature but i like it.😉

• Beans 1

Do you guys think it is even possible to make the first hours challenging for a vet? I have to say, I actually enjoyed the open Livonia weekend. For the first time in a long while, I considered it 'hard' to actually survive. Like when it was pouring rain and I was happy to just find a waterproof bag - I'd put my pants in it and run around from house to house, bag in my hands (still dying of hunger and thirst, of course). The other moment, a fireplace still smouldering after another player actually saved my life (I had seconds to rekindle it). This kind of stuff. I mean I know it was totally 'unrealistic' (between Arctic rains and the metabolism of a shrew), but barely eking out on last supplies and constantly fending off death by the skin of your teeth is the definition of 'survival' in my book. I have very fond memories of that weekend. And a chicken fillet which saves you from death tastes completely different, that's one thing I can tell. But I don't know how to bring back those experiences without making the game unplayable for most.

• Thanks 2
  • Beans 1

I had the exact same experience with Liviona.  (I died several times through the surroundings, a great feeling after 1500h).  It was hard, the border to death was always present.  Therefore, I am AGAINST the "catch some rain" because this destroys a large part of the survival timing.  (Even if it's totally unrealistic).  But the most important sentence is this:

Quest-Quote from Kirov: "But I don't know how to bring back those experiences without making the game unplayable for most."

My Answer--> I think only private Servers with hard challanged mod-packs (less xyz etc.)

• Beans 1

What you guys are describing was exactly the problem. I died so many times and saw so many corpses just laying on the street that it lost all meaning. After a few deaths it's no longer survival but roulette and once you do stabilize it is business as usual. Most of the time I died of sickness because I ate raw meat and drank unpurified water, because I no longer cared about my survivor and it was the same chance of survival to start again. 

Yet the game should not be incredible hardcore the first 30 minutes and then just nuissance because you must drink and eat. This is exactly the issue with setting thirst and hunger on arbitrary bullshit values. You will have 90% mortality rate for freshspawns and later just shrug oh btw I need to drink/eat again. This is not survival against elements but tamagotchi. Clearly shows that the devs have no concept for this game and just move sliders around to see what sticks.

Survival must be constantly on. These dire situations must be always looming over you regardless of how long you're in the world. Which is why we need all the other health elements like bones. Relying just on thirst and hunger leads to this arbitrary state. So devs, please stop fiddling around with numbers and actually develop something for a change, gives us back the complex survival mechanics.

Edited by William Sternritter

4 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

Survival must be constantly on. These dire situations must be always looming over you regardless of how long you're in the world. Which is why we need all the other health elements like bones. Relying just on thirst and hunger leads to this arbitrary state. So devs, please stop fiddling around with numbers and actually develop something for a change, gives us back the complex survival mechanics.

I think (one important) key here is something I have already reacted to: There is no correlation between weight carried and resource drain. IMO the reduction of max stamina should be directly linked to increased drain rate of energy and hydration when moving. Not only would that make these resources matter to geared characters - it would also be perfectly realistic. Hike for miles in running/sprinting tempo while carrying three rifles, a plate carrier and 35 more kgs of assorted junk and you WILL need to drink and get carbs pretty often.

Edited by Derleth
  • Like 1
  • Beans 1

43 minutes ago, Derleth said:

I think (one important) key here is something I have already reacted to: There is no correlation between weight carried and resource drain. IMO the reduction of max stamina should be directly linked to increased drain rate of energy and hydration when moving. Not only would that make these resources matter to geared characters - it would also be perfectly realistic. Hike for miles in running/sprinting tempo while carrying three rifles, a plate carrier and 35 more kgs of assorted junk and you WILL need to drink and get carbs pretty often.

Yes. Also combination of factors. It's nice that you have a lot of food, but if you trip break a leg and get eaten by a bear because you can't run away that's that. Survival is not just food and water. 

19 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

Do you guys think it is even possible to make the first hours challenging for a vet?

8 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

These dire situations must be always looming over you regardless of how long you're in the world.

It's basically impossible for survival to be difficult for experienced players.  I've been saying this for years.  And that's okay!  PVE is a hurdle.  It's fun.  It provides an excellent experience.  But this is a huge sandbox.  If the PVE aspect of survival for characters that are established is difficult then it's impossible for new player/fresh spawns to do anything.   Simply segregating the map into loot zones will never be able to provide a significant challenge to groups of geared players.   And that's the thing that makes development throw their arms in the air.  Groups of experienced players will not have problems because they know what to do.  Groups.  Once you group up, survival is pretty trivial, even for noobs.   Remember, this is an MMO about PVP.  It's a lawless sandbox with no actual repercussions, moral or material.  Loot isn't that important to experienced players whereas it's a great crutch for new customers.  DayZ has always been about social interactions more than environment challenges.

Experience is everything.  Eventually a player learns the ins and outs of melee combat and how zombies work.  At some point, the survivor will realize how to be stealthy and one shot every zombie you encounter.   You can navigate through Nadbor, or Novaya Petrovka and kill every zombie with ease once you learn about stamina, blocking, dodging and the beauty of the splitting axe.

17 hours ago, Parazight said:

It's basically impossible for survival to be difficult for experienced players.  

But that is not true, your knowledge of how to survive of course helps, yet that is my appeal. If the game mechanics are complex enough there are enough factors to make survival uncertain. Because it is not just that you get food and drinks and you're fine. 

First of all the bones system and various states of your health. Secondly, because you regurarly need to obtain items to help you survive, and it does not matter of you craft and need the materials or go looting, you are regularly exposing yourself to other players, the environment and so on. 

You increase your survival by experience but you do not 100% guarantee it. 

But of course, this needs to be properly implemented and thought out. As much as it was fun in 0.62 to basically roll a dice every time you walked a staircase and randomly glitch out, that was not it 😄 Foundations were there though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like it that food is scarcer, but the amount of energy you get from eating things is Shit.  I had some nice cooked wolf steaks 10 of and they gave me very little energy WTF.  Played for 10 hrs and went through 10 steaks 1 zucchini, 1 pepper, 1 potato, 2 tin tuna, 2 tin sardines, 1 tin of beans, 2 tin peaches, 4 apples, 4 pears, 3 mushrooms and a total of 1 box of cereal.  I wasn't running that much either.   would not have gone through as much in the old days.  The Woolf steaks would have given me 10 hours of playing in themselves.  Not good.  Also, I see zeds fuck up your clothing quickly, but not much around for repairing them.  All in all the balancing is way off and as far as I can tell there is still no protection from the rain.  I'm wearing Gorka and it does nothing.  Also, I have found very little in car parts to get one going.  Lots of doors, hoods and trunks but very little else.  Not sure if its the loot dynamics.  But as radiators still get fucked at a slow speed crash it is fucking irritating. 

• Beans 2

Well DayZ has veered off from its authentic vision so now its time the developers reel it in. I am excited to hear about their PvP oriented roadmap for 2020. Remove hydration and hunger (but keep the eating and drinking animations for role-players) because as William has stated it has just become a nuisance and not true survival. There is one true threat in DayZ and that is other players such as myself who have excellent aim with snipers and always carry automatic rifles with tons of ammo. So double up the guns and ammo and increase the player count. Then DayZ will be dangerous and a true survival game like it should be. Of course the survival will be primarily related to PvP in military zones as this is exactly what an authentic apocalypse would look like. Who on Earth wouldn't get as many guns as possible with all those wretched infected around every corner? I'd carry a few bazookas in my tank if I could. I hope they make the tanks drive-able by the end of 2020 so we can have all-out PvP mayhem. Authenticity matters for DayZ's longevity.

4 hours ago, ATrueDayZFan said:

Well DayZ has veered off from its authentic vision so now its time the developers reel it in. I am excited to hear about their PvP oriented roadmap for 2020. Remove hydration and hunger (but keep the eating and drinking animations for role-players) because as William has stated it has just become a nuisance and not true survival. There is one true threat in DayZ and that is other players such as myself who have excellent aim with snipers and always carry automatic rifles with tons of ammo. So double up the guns and ammo and increase the player count. Then DayZ will be dangerous and a true survival game like it should be. Of course the survival will be primarily related to PvP in military zones as this is exactly what an authentic apocalypse would look like. Who on Earth wouldn't get as many guns as possible with all those wretched infected around every corner? I'd carry a few bazookas in my tank if I could. I hope they make the tanks drive-able by the end of 2020 so we can have all-out PvP mayhem. Authenticity matters for DayZ's longevity.

this is the last time i will be reading or replying to any of your posts.  do u ever get tired of being a turd?  seriously..... throw away your keyboard and maybe wait till u are like 13 or something before you get a new one.

• Haha 3
  • Beans 2

15 hours ago, ATrueDayZFan said:

So true survival is going around shooting people?   So that's why they have guns on survival programs!  Oh no wait, they are trying to find food and water.  PS without water you will be dead in 2 - 7 days so I think finding a source of clean drinking water might be high on your survival priorities.   I'm not against PvP but saying that is survival is complete Horseshit.  

14 hours ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

this is the last time i will be reading or replying to any of your posts.  do u ever get tired of being a turd?  seriously..... throw away your keyboard and maybe wait till u are like 13 or something before you get a new one.

I'll ignore your troll response for the time being until you have a substantive rebuttal to my actual arguments, thank you. It is time to grow up and display some maturity and the ability to respectfully disagree. Have a good day, sir.

Edited by ATrueDayZFan

3 hours ago, Fing said:

So true survival is going around shooting people?   So that's why they have guns on survival programs!  Oh no wait, they are trying to find food and water.  PS without water you will be dead in 2 - 7 days so I think finding a source of clean drinking water might be high on your survival priorities.   I'm not against PvP but saying that is survival is complete Horseshit.  

Thank you sir a very good argument indeed which contains some fatal flaws. True survival is that which meets the authentic vision of DayZ, which is based on a military combat simulator. Shooting is survival because it is eliminating the threat to your own survival. But let us not forget bandaging. Too much blood loss and you die on the battlefield. So we have to hide behind barriers and patch ourselves before returning gunfire. Let's be real for a second in an authentic apocalypse there would be a plethora of food everywhere and free water by the gallons so it would take next to no time finding it to drink. At this point to streamline the DayZ experience they might as well remove it (but like I said, keep the animations so role-players like yourself can feel like they are going through the motions in real time). The people who want energy and hydration meters are using the exact same logic as the people who want urination and defecation. It makes absolutely no sense to continually shove food and drink down into one's mouth and never have it exit the other side. So obviously this is flawed reasoning.

Edited by ATrueDayZFan

9 hours ago, Fing said:

Fing, he's obviously trolling, just ignore him. Just report his troll posts for trolling and eventually he'll go away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IMT said:

Fing, he's obviously trolling, just ignore him. Just report his troll posts for trolling and eventually he'll go away.

Or just hide him. 

22 minutes ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

i know ima sound stupid here..... but how do i do this?

In your settings (gear top right) go to ignored users and add as many names as you need 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Beans 3