Greensek

DayZ Livonia PC Open Beta

2 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

Should we expect a wipe across Chernarus with 1.06?

Why would you?

10 hours ago, RuffZ said:

For as much as it rains in Livonia, can we have a way of drinking or collecting the rain water? Dieing of thirst, while it is pouring rain for 30 min to over an hour seems strange and awkward. I was in a deerstand dieing of thirst, but also protecting myself from the cold rain during a long thunderstorm. I kept thinking, "why can't they allow us to drink the rain water, to survive?"

This was possible in the legacy builds before the shift to 0.63, so I have been assuming it is simply a backlog feature they haven't had time to look at yet. It will probably be back at some point. Maybe @Greensek can confirm whether it is in the plans or has been scrapped for good?

35 minutes ago, Derleth said:

This was possible in the legacy builds before the shift to 0.63, so I have been assuming it is simply a backlog feature they haven't had time to look at yet. It will probably be back at some point. Maybe @Greensek can confirm whether it is in the plans or has been scrapped for good?

When Livonia became available during the Open Beta we got many request for exactly that, and it makes sense.

The dev team is actually looking into it, but we can't promise if or when it's going to be added to the game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Beans 2

Remember: "Catch the Rain" will drastically reduce the importance of wells and waters if the weather setting is for "more rain".

• Beans 1

39 minutes ago, Sqeezorz said:

Remember: "Catch the Rain" will drastically reduce the importance of wells and waters if the weather setting is for "more rain".

On the one hand, I remember dying of thirst in a pouring rain and it sure seemed frustrating and silly (i.e. immersion-breaking). On the other hand, the difficulty level should be maintained, at least in my humble opinion. To put it differently - in a thunderstorm, people should have problems other than water to worry about. For example, wood should get wet and be unusable without many attempts, or something like that.

• Beans 1

I do not want it to NEVER come.  It just should not be too easy to search no wells or ponds.  (Instant in 10sec., Fill a pot with rainwater? Yes, ok, if you have to disinfect it, with tablets or boil off.)

On 11/2/2019 at 6:25 PM, pr9inichek said:

Is players count affects this?

Yep, it's always naturally been linked to this amongst other factors. Could be the infected count as well. Given that Livonia is a smaller map, perhaps 60 players is too much, as naturally more players end up in each others bubbles, thus presumingly tasking the server at a higher rate. But that's just my theory. There are also some inventory bugs due to the newly introduced placeholder inventory feature, which reserves slots for drawn items for where they used to be. I like this feature but it lead to guns getting bugged, with preventing the detachment of magazines, rendering the firearms useless. This occurred several times to me already, which is why I won't touch the game until these game breaking issues are resolved.

• Beans 1

On 11/13/2019 at 2:09 PM, Kirov (DayZ) said:

On the one hand, I remember dying of thirst in a pouring rain and it sure seemed frustrating and silly (i.e. immersion-breaking). On the other hand, the difficulty level should be maintained, at least in my humble opinion. To put it differently - in a thunderstorm, people should have problems other than water to worry about. For example, wood should get wet and be unusable without many attempts, or something like that.

The way I look at it: You're right, the difficulty level should be maintained.  Dehydration while its raining doesn't make much sense from a gameplay perspective.  Its a pretty challenging issue to find a solution to in my mind.  I was thinking maybe wet clothes could halt the depletion of water while still adding a temperature penalty but then I think this might be exploited.  Maybe the character could 'drink' from the rain/sky while its raining and receive miniscule amounts of water.  Of course they would be suffering a wetness penalty (unless wearing a raincoat) so this could be an option that at least on the surface addresses the illogicality of dying of dehydration while its raining.  Also it would be interesting because you would have to look up at the sky which means you would be particularly vulnerable.  Additionally, having mechanics to allow for water collection and storage in a base could be interesting.  Maybe combining a rain coat with some sticks and a water container could allow you to construct a water collector.  Ideally this would be linked to storms but if that is too technically complicated it should just fill up very slowly over time (but even that might be too technically demanding).  It's difficult to come up with suggestions because my actual knowledge of the technical aspects of the game's code is incomplete and tiny.  

17 hours ago, aaronlands said:

The way I look at it: You're right, the difficulty level should be maintained.  Dehydration while its raining doesn't make much sense from a gameplay perspective.  Its a pretty challenging issue to find a solution to in my mind.  I was thinking maybe wet clothes could halt the depletion of water while still adding a temperature penalty but then I think this might be exploited.  Maybe the character could 'drink' from the rain/sky while its raining and receive miniscule amounts of water.  Of course they would be suffering a wetness penalty (unless wearing a raincoat) so this could be an option that at least on the surface addresses the illogicality of dying of dehydration while its raining.  Also it would be interesting because you would have to look up at the sky which means you would be particularly vulnerable.  Additionally, having mechanics to allow for water collection and storage in a base could be interesting.  Maybe combining a rain coat with some sticks and a water container could allow you to construct a water collector.  Ideally this would be linked to storms but if that is too technically complicated it should just fill up very slowly over time (but even that might be too technically demanding).  It's difficult to come up with suggestions because my actual knowledge of the technical aspects of the game's code is incomplete and tiny.  

Hello @aaronlands , not sure if it will be the way you described but the dev team is currently looking into ways of collecting water from the rain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Beans 1

23 hours ago, aaronlands said:

You mentioned wringing out clothes, maybe it would be pretty simple to script:  look at a canteen, wring clothes into canteen, but then its dirty water that needs to be cleaned (boiled)?

Also, I had an issue trying to fill a jerrycan with water from a pump.  Only smaller items like canteens and water bottles worked at the pump for me, the crafting (or fill) circle popped up and animated fully, just did not actually put any water in the jerrycan I was holding.

Edited by olyeller
added issue I found

3 hours ago, olyeller said:

You mentioned wringing out clothes, maybe it would be pretty simple to script:  look at a canteen, wring clothes into canteen, but then its dirty water that needs to be cleaned (boiled)?

Also, I had an issue trying to fill a jerrycan with water from a pump.  Only smaller items like canteens and water bottles worked at the pump for me, the crafting (or fill) circle popped up and animated fully, just did not actually put any water in the jerrycan I was holding.

Just to be clear, is that issue with the jerrycan on the experimental branch?

5 hours ago, aaronlands said:

Just to be clear, is that issue with the jerrycan on the experimental branch?

yes, correct

However I just tried it again and it works now, so IDK, maybe I was just at a bad pump?  lol

Edited by olyeller

I don't know if dehydration and hunger need to change, but the chance of infection from water needs to change.  For CENTURIES people have drank creek water or well water with out getting sick, so the fact that EVERY TIME you drink from the well or creek directly makes you sick is just not logical.  I mean, raw meat, thats fine.  It should have a high chance of infection, but not water, not like this game has it set.

With all this technology and development I do not understand how it is that there is still contaminated water in some countries

On 11/20/2019 at 11:37 AM, Greensek said:

... the dev team is currently looking into ways of collecting water from the rain.

Barrels, water collection and leather tanning are the future.

On 11/23/2019 at 1:07 AM, Tarkules said:

Barrels, water collection and leather tanning are the future.

ah, we will have fun walking 5 km on foot with a barrel on the back, i like it !!!

(Of course I know cars ...)

Edited by skyacus

54 minutes ago, Cursedgreaser said:

I was watching a YouTuber and he was saying the 1.06 update was out now on xbox and ps4 and pc

it can't be because Bohemia didn't announce it on Twitter/Forums and Steam isn't updating on Stable branch that youtuber might mean on Experimental on PC

EDIT: Also give source... what is that youtuber's name? give link

Edited by KajMak64Bit2

59 minutes ago, Cursedgreaser said:

I was watching a YouTuber and he was saying the 1.06 update was out now on xbox and ps4 and pc

It's on experimental for PC only.

• Beans 1

On 11/20/2019 at 9:59 PM, Sam17101 said:

I don't know if dehydration and hunger need to change, but the chance of infection from water needs to change.  For CENTURIES people have drank creek water or well water with out getting sick, so the fact that EVERY TIME you drink from the well or creek directly makes you sick is just not logical.  I mean, raw meat, thats fine.  It should have a high chance of infection, but not water, not like this game has it set.

Well in those centuries pollution was another matter. In modern Times people drink from Wells and Creeks yes, AFTER cooking/ boiling said water. 

Take a sip from the Ganges (India) and come back to us with your previous statement.

Ive been sick once in 1000 hours. Its not the game. Its you. If you dont like boiling water go play pubg. 

Raw food is saver then unclean water. You Just need to know which parts you can eat.

On 11/20/2019 at 9:59 PM, Sam17101 said:

What bothers me is the 100% infection when drinking from a found bottle. Granted, there could be all sorts of explanation why, but in general I don't think it makes sense. Bottled or tap water normally does not become infectious just because. Here I would say that the chance should be very very low. 

19 minutes ago, William Sternritter said:

What bothers me is the 100% infection when drinking from a found bottle. Granted, there could be all sorts of explanation why, but in general I don't think it makes sense. Bottled or tap water normally does not become infectious just because. Here I would say that the chance should be very very low. 

Exactly, let there be a risk but not 100% guarantee of getting sick, both from bottles you find and water in nature. Running water is always safer than still water, so drinking from a pond or swamp should have a much higher risk than when drinking from a clear stream in the mountains.

• Beans 1

1 hour ago, William Sternritter said:

When I joined DayZ, I always assumed that water in found bottles and canteens is unsafe, in the sense of literally 'coming from un unknown source, you never know what's there'. I always took a precaution to bring the container to a well, for like a year or something. I'm not saying I have an argument for that, just stating my initial intuitions. I guess 100% of infection is as unintuitive as 0%, at least for me.

4 minutes ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

When I joined DayZ, I always assumed that water in found bottles and canteens is unsafe, in the sense of literally 'coming from un unknown source, you never know what's there'. I always took a precaution to bring the container to a well, for like a year or something. I'm not saying I have an argument for that, just stating my initial intuitions. I guess 100% of infection is as unintuitive as 0%, at least for me.

As you can notice, I don't say that the chance should be zero.