JJFinlayson02

Need a way to stop Combat Loggers on Xbox One.

I've been reading through the forums and not once have I seen anything about Combat Loggers. In a space of 6 hours of gameplay 7 people combat logged because they knew they would've died. Can you try to add in a 'Log Off Counter' on Xbox One to try and stop this. It was a problem on PC and it was fixed. Now it's a problem on XBOX. Please fix this.

• Like 3

I'm new to this and I already see what you're talking about first hand. Happened to me twice last night. I was like, "Waaaaduuu Hek?!"

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Nano Ninja said:

I'm new to this and I already see what you're talking about first hand. Happened to me twice last night. I was like, "Waaaaduuu Hek?!"

Wadu wadu

• Haha 2

Gotta remember there's a lot of young kids on console & the games still fresh for a lot of people, so people are super precious about there characters ATM. Also when someone love there character remains stood there and are fully killable for around 30secs. My advice would be if you see a player enter a building during combat, push up and clear the building ASAP from windows or within. If there logging it's an easy kill as they'll just be stood there, if not you've still got your gunfight. It's an almost impossible issue to solve as if you implemented a mechanic whereby people could not log out at all whilst within a certain radius of gunfire or richochets or whilst still taking damage/bleeding etc it becomes restrictive and I should imagine would be very difficult to implement . Combat loggers suck but until we get private servers with FPP only options or RP only servers etc then everyone's play styles are bunched together. Once people can choose there dayz experience more accurately I think this issue will subside as PvP heavy players can join servers appropriate to that & people who want a casual friendly experience can join an RP server where bandits will atleast hold you up etc and not just KOS.

Yes they also log off and log in another server move the guy behind you and then log back in the original server. Happened to me in a 2 v 1 i had them bottled at a doorway and they didnt know what to do so they just decided to try that. Didnt work. 

• Like 1

It's not just the combat logging, it's the server hoping for loot.

I know this can result in users getting locked in DB however I'm pretty damn sure if people stopped doing this the game would run so much better on the backend and reduce a lot of the DB transactions by these lazy ass players. I bet 90% of them are ones camping crash sites. DON'T DO IT!!!

On 9/16/2018 at 7:58 PM, JJFinlayson02 said:

I've been reading through the forums and not once have I seen anything about Combat Loggers. In a space of 6 hours of gameplay 7 people combat logged because they knew they would've died. Can you try to add in a 'Log Off Counter' on Xbox One to try and stop this. It was a problem on PC and it was fixed. Now it's a problem on XBOX. Please fix this.

There is a 15 second logout counter when your character stays vulnerable after leaving the server. We are aware that combat in DayZ can take it's time and can be pretty nerve-wrecking, which is why many folks decide to use the coward's way out.

On 9/17/2018 at 3:55 AM, Chris Burton said:

Yes they also log off and log in another server move the guy behind you and then log back in the original server. Happened to me in a 2 v 1 i had them bottled at a doorway and they didnt know what to do so they just decided to try that. Didnt work. 

Ghosting is a problem resulting from this. However, keep in mind that it takes several minutes for someone to log around you. If someone does not even peak his head for a minute, there might be something off.

The team is keeping an eye on the situation and we hope once the database locks are working as intended to have more limitation to those exploits.

• Like 1
  • Beans 4

1 hour ago, ImpulZ said:

There is a 15 second logout counter when your character stays vulnerable after leaving the server. We are aware that combat in DayZ can take it's time and can be pretty nerve-wrecking, which is why many folks decide to use the coward's way out.

Ghosting is a problem resulting from this. However, keep in mind that it takes several minutes for someone to log around you. If someone does not even peak his head for a minute, there might be something off.

The team is keeping an eye on the situation and we hope once the database locks are working as intended to have more limitation to those exploits.

I posted this in the suggestions forum a little while ago, should apply to all platforms:

As long as there are shared hives these things will happen, but I believe a few steps should be taken to make it less attractive:

• When logging into a new server within a certain time (at least an hour) after logging out of another, the character should spawn in a random location in the general area (1km2) of where he/she logged out.
  • The login delay when server hopping should be longer, 90 seconds is nowhere near enough. Around 5 minutes or more should do.
  • When logging into a new server, regardless of the time that has passed after logging out of the previous server, the character should never spawn inside a building or base. Trying to do that will lead to random spawn as above.
  • As for combat logging, there should be a proximity delay pausing the logout timer when there are other players in the vicinity (+/- 100m or so). Player should always be able to quit the game (if you gotta go you gotta go...) leaving the character exposed until the others move off or find and kill him.

Edit: I don't believe the database lock works at all if the purpose is to prevent server hopping and combat logging. The only times it seems to happen is with BE kicks and server crashes/restarts...

Edited by Beavis3D
  • Like 1

whole threads already  .. anti hopping time delays and respawns .. the discussion started maybe 5 years ago?  (on PC) and covered more than 350 different Threads - and it came up for years - ideas, rants, solutions, arguments, theories.  Now Xbox players are opening new threads across the whole Xbox space.. I hope you guys read each other.

Edited by pilgrim*

29 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

whole threads already  .. anti hopping time delays and respawns .. the discussion started maybe 5 years ago?  (on PC) and covered more than 350 different Threads - and it came up for years - ideas, rants, solutions, arguments, theories.  Now Xbox players are opening new threads across the whole Xbox space.. I hope you guys read each other.

Yeah, it seems combat logging is rampant now on xbox, or it's just that the players aren't used to it there. Impulz mentioned the "Character Locked in Database" thing is meant as a deterrent for server hopping and combat logging, but it seems to me it's not working that way at all. The only time it has been triggered for me is when I've been BE kicked or the server crashed/restarted. Whenever I have logged out and in again, on a new server or another, there's just been the timers. The server hop timer has been halved in 0.63 too, from 180 to 90 seconds. Imho it should have been doubled instead...

To me the most sensible thing would be to have one character per server, so no hopping period. Either that or spawn the character in a random location (never indoors) when hopping.

As for combat logging, just implement a proximity stopper that won't allow the character to despawn as long as there are other players in the vicinity. You could quit anyway of course, but the character would remain until killed or there's nobody nearby.

Edited by Beavis3D

17 minutes ago, Beavis3D said:

When it was argued over on PC (for years) - seems most folk were SERIOUSLY anti hopper..BUT seems most folk were seriously anti login delays TOO .. no one wanted to put up with "long" login waits.. and the rest just shouted "play on private hive servers".  BI came up with a compromise that solved combat logs and fast log-out-and-in behind your enemy  <pretty good compromise, I thought> but didn't do much to put off server hoppers across high loot areas.. Server hopping on the PC public hive is still by FAR the quickest way to go through 10 or 15 bases or airfields.. if that's how you want to play..

How about :  YES you can log straight back in to the same Hive (public or private)(same server or different server)  , BUT if you don't wait 5 minutes  you get a random spawn login, NOT back to the location you logged out. - I think we're kind of on the same wavelength here.

?

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Beans 1

9 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

When it was argued over on PC (for years) - seems most folk were SERIOUSLY anti hopper..BUT seems most folk were seriously anti login delays TOO .. no one wanted to put up with "long" login waits.. and the rest just shouted "play on private hive servers".  BI came up with a compromise that solved combat logs and fast log-out-and-in behind your enemy  <pretty good compromise, I thought> but didn't do much to put off server hoppers across high loot areas.. Server hopping on the PC public hive is still by FAR the quickest way to go through 10 or 15 bases or airfields.. if that's how you want to play..

How about :  YES you can log straight back in to the same Hive (public or private)(same server or different server)  , BUT if you don't wait 5 minutes  you get a random spawn login, NOT back to the location you logged out. - I think we're kind of on the same wavelength here.

?

Sounds good to me, although I believe you should also be random spawned if you logged out indoors and logged in on another server, regardless of time. Too easy otherwise to ghost into a locked house or, in the future worst case scenario, somebody's base.

I like the thought of a proximity blocker to stop cowardly combat logging too. Nothing to stop players from quitting if they really have to, you'll just have to leave your character vulnerable or at the mercy of your "friends" if in a group...

Edited by Beavis3D

I don't get why they don't use a log out timer system, like in games like WoW. Where you hit quit and your character sits down or something and you have to wait 15 seconds before leaving?

46 minutes ago, Beavis3D said:

Sounds good to me, although I believe you should also be random spawned if you logged out indoors and logged in on another server, regardless of time. Too easy otherwise to ghost into a locked house or, in the future worst case scenario, somebody's base.

I like the thought of a proximity blocker to stop cowardly combat logging too. Nothing to stop players from quitting if they really have to, you'll just have to leave your character vulnerable or at the mercy of your "friends" if in a group...

The whole Base thing is really complicated.. as far as the technical aspects and the (technical) gamplay  goes.. NOBODY has the same idea about "what is a Base"... and BI are not giving any specifications right now.  Without going into the Whole List of expectations/technical/gameplay..  just your example of "keys" for instance:

- Do you 'lock your base' with a key that you CARRY in the game.. so someone can loot that key off you?.. & you can MAKE ingame another key for a friend?

OR - are you listed on a database as the "owner.". Can you add other owners to the list?.. Can multiple owners spawn in and out of the base.. Can the original "owner" take them off the list again? If the base is taken over (even when the owner is not in the game) does the base transfer ownership to whoever captured it, or is it "destroyed" ?

Is the base totally impregnable when the owner is not logged in (some folk expect this).. or is it .. er "easy" to break into a base when the owner is not there. Can you ram through the gate with a car, for instance, or cut the barbed wire with a cutter.. etc.. or use a lockpick.. (even if the owner isn't around.)

People are thinking of Bases exactly as if they were in-game bulletproof indestructible TENTS that only the person who put up the tent can get in and out.  This would be really Stupid for gameplay.

And if a base were Seriously Difficult to get into - WHY would someone attack it while the player was at home?  Wait till he comes out, shoot him and take his key. Or wait till hes not in play and break in or use a lockpick ?

So.. (er) .. for instance.. A base would be a kind of shooting gallery for players outside, who could snipe at players trapped inside, who could not get out the gate without being almost certainly killed.. So what would be the advantage of that to a Base builder?  You can already do that with a standard house if you lock the front door. (except players CAN hop in to an ordinary house .. as you point out).

The gameplay implementation has not been made public, and so the idea of <what is a "Base">  is a still a general individual player fantasy .. whatever comes up will not make most players "happy", because they have such different vague ideas on what they want and how it will play. In my opinion, they think, "if it LOOKS like a Base then it IS a Base" (so it must be Cool!) and haven't thought further. ..  but the look of a thing doesn't have much to do with the gameplay.

So BI is working it out and not saying a lot right now.  But I see a lot of argument & rants coming up.

IMO 

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

The gameplay implementation has not been made public, and so the idea of <what is a "Base">  is a still a general individual player fantasy .. whatever comes up will not make most players "happy", because they have such different vague ideas on what they want and how it will play. In my opinion, they think, "if it LOOKS like a Base then it IS a Base" (so it must be Cool!) and haven't thought further. ..  but the look of a thing doesn't have much to do with the gameplay.

So BI is working it out and not saying a lot right now.  But I see a lot of argument & rants coming up.

IMO 

Oh yes. I've thought about this myself and come to the conclusion that I will probably never bother to build a base at all, depending a bit on how they are implemented. The fact most players behave as if the point of the game is to kill all other players makes it a really bad idea to stay long in any particular location. When I set up tents or barrels in 0.62 and returned later I'd stake it out from afar, rush in and get/drop whatever I needed and then eff off quick as lightning. Preferably in cover of darkness. Speaking of my camp here! Camping near the tent with a cosy fire, cooking some wolf steaks? Unthinkable, any light source in the open will attract psychos like moths.

Edited by Beavis3D
  • Beans 2

5 hours ago, Beavis3D said:

I posted this in the suggestions forum a little while ago, should apply to all platforms:

As long as there are shared hives these things will happen, but I believe a few steps should be taken to make it less attractive:

• When logging into a new server within a certain time (at least an hour) after logging out of another, the character should spawn in a random location in the general area (1km2) of where he/she logged out.
  • The login delay when server hopping should be longer, 90 seconds is nowhere near enough. Around 5 minutes or more should do.
  • When logging into a new server, regardless of the time that has passed after logging out of the previous server, the character should never spawn inside a building or base. Trying to do that will lead to random spawn as above.
  • As for combat logging, there should be a proximity delay pausing the logout timer when there are other players in the vicinity (+/- 100m or so). Player should always be able to quit the game (if you gotta go you gotta go...) leaving the character exposed until the others move off or find and kill him.

Edit: I don't believe the database lock works at all if the purpose is to prevent server hopping and combat logging. The only times it seems to happen is with BE kicks and server crashes/restarts...

Yeah.... NO

44 minutes ago, Jake Blake said:

Yeah.... NO

How constructive, care to elaborate? You love gearing up by server hopping too much? Chickening out of combat* is your way to survive? No? Then why NO?

The compromise posted by Pilgrim above was good, would not be disruptive yet make ghosting and loothopping impractical or just very slow.

*) In my opinion fleeing from combat is perfectly valid, but one should do it in-game. Logging out to server hop and regroup is pure cowardice with cheating on top...

Edited by Beavis3D
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Beavis3D said:

How constructive, care to elaborate? You love gearing up by server hopping too much? Chickening out of combat* is your way to survive? No? Then why NO?

The compromise posted by Pilgrim above was good, would not be disruptive yet make ghosting and loothopping impractical or just very slow.

*) In my opinion fleeing from combat is perfectly valid, but one should do it in-game. Logging out to server hop and regroup is pure cowardice with cheating on top...

Not being able to get your character out if you have to leave your house right away forcing your character to stay in place until the other players around you are gone or have killed you? Yeah no thanks. I don't server hop I actually join close to empty servers because I like the more realistic feel of less players. Still not down for having to leave and then somebody watching you walk into the brush to exit and then being able to walk right up on me and kill me because my character is still there.

1 hour ago, Jake Blake said:

Not being able to get your character out if you have to leave your house right away forcing your character to stay in place until the other players around you are gone or have killed you? Yeah no thanks. I don't server hop I actually join close to empty servers because I like the more realistic feel of less players. Still not down for having to leave and then somebody watching you walk into the brush to exit and then being able to walk right up on me and kill me because my character is still there.

Fair enough. I still think it's an okay tradeoff to really make things uncomfortable for the ones who do combat log. Real life stuff that trash your online life happens now and then anyway, power failures, raging wives, kids dropping ice cream on your keyboard... All stuff that has happened to me causing all kinds of in-game mayhem. It's just shit that happens.

If I end up needing to leave my character to the wolves once in a while, but combat logging practically ceases to exist, that is fine with me.

On 9/16/2018 at 6:58 PM, JJFinlayson02 said:

Your character is still in the server for downwards of 30 seconds

On 9/18/2018 at 11:27 AM, droefheid said:

I don't get why they don't use a log out timer system, like in games like WoW. Where you hit quit and your character sits down or something and you have to wait 15 seconds before leaving?

this is on Xbox.. you're still in the server for around 30 seconds after you exit a server 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2018 at 7:56 PM, Jake Blake said:

Not being able to get your character out if you have to leave your house right away forcing your character to stay in place until the other players around you are gone or have killed you? Yeah no thanks

Yeah - this is the argument folk have sometimes come up with against timers :  "my Mom turned the computer off when I was playing"

I never heard of ANY online game that has a RULE for how to be safe if your Dad shouts at you for playing too long and makes you  stop NOW,
or your house gets hit by a plane crash-landing through your roof, or the neighbour's dog bites your hand off in the middle of an online firefight, 
or you don't check the time, and you play right up until the last second before you're late for work or late for school...

Is there ANY online game that gives you a SAFE key to get out of the game instantly like you've were never in it ??  I ain't heard of one.

In DayZ if you play the game you make your own decisions & you take the consequences to your character - there is NOWHERE SAFE in DayZ EVER. If you have to suddenly turn off the game, man you are screwed..  you might get away with it, but don't EXPECT to be alive when you log in again. If you are in an in-game  situation, you have to get OUT of it BEFORE you can log off safely.. go hide in the bushes, make sure no one is following you.. OK?   This is how the game works. Nowhere is safe.. try to log out in a safe place.. see?   It's PART of the Game.

When you watch a war film, you get to the scene where the hero gets killed in a firefight - you don't SWITCH IT OFF before he gets hit..  <duh?> 

Maybe try to plan ahead a little in your at-home free time.. ??  (like Dude, that's your problem, not a DayZ problem)

ENJOY

xxP

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Beans 3

On 9/18/2018 at 12:27 PM, droefheid said:

But there was a log out timer for a long time in the game, it's still in, 15 seconds currently. It doesn't quit right away if you click quit now. Couple of posts above yours is ImpulZ's post with that info.

The character still stays there when you click quit but I guess the timer is there in case you happen to see someone approaching and you want to cancel, get back quickly and react.

On 9/18/2018 at 9:58 AM, ImpulZ said:

• Like 2

Sounds to me like a lot of people in here who like the PVP type of gameplay but there is the RPG side of the game also, which is conflicting the different types of gameplay, for example, I like to play the game in as a RPG,  meeting new people, making friends, helping people and working together in a zombie apocalypse (and no I don't combat jump, I stay away from people killing other players or on low pop servers) Then there are the type of players who want the PUBG type of gameplay "kill everyone they see" I'm not saying it's wrong but it's not fair when someone has played for hours just to be gunned down for nothing, imo that's why people exit games quickly. For me the sooner dedicated servers come out for different types of gameplay the better or better still private rent servers so the host can run that server as they see fit.