Irish.

.63.. Some changes are for the worse.

Read the posts on Reddit, and its clear.. we are not entirely happy over here. Some major changes were made, some good, and some not so much..

The major changes that I see many people not liking:

Changes to ADS..

Changes to the weapons in general.. like hip fire, cross hair, projectiles.. etc..

Changes to reloading.. 

Changes to run speed..

Adding the stamina system.. 

Then we see that Brian is gone. Much like Dean left.. 

What the heck is going on over there? Why would you change things that should never be changed? Changing the mechanics for shooting is confusing at best. Especially when those changes were not good. And even further more, when its from the company that made ARMA.

You need to realize why we love playing dayz.. its constant curiosity.. constant learning... NOT CONSTANT ANNOYANCES. Dayz and its greatness comes not from how painful it is to learn how to play, or to play in general. Its beauty comes from the open sandbox world, where we can do almost anything we want. The draw was never the PUNISHING ANTI-GAME.. it really wasnt.. we flocked to this game because it was massive, and took years sometimes to learn how to do all the different parts of the game because there were no instructions.. guess what is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY now? Instructions on how to play.. *(wait for console versions) 

I mean.. have you paid no attention to what we complain about, over and over again? Its the things that dont work right, and show up buggy.. so please dont change the things that DID work. 

All we ever want is a Dayz that runs smoothly, and works right. A Dayz that has options, not takes them away.

Maybe Peter is the one that needs to step back?

Sincerely, 

Irish 

Edited by Irish.
  • Like 1
  • Beans 2

If you think this is about giving them a chance.. you have no clue Bob.

Ive been playing this game since it started. Ive given them chance after chance, through many bad times. This is not a bad time, or bugs issues.. this is core mechanics. This is the CD left the company over creative differences.. this is horrible decisions with core game mechanics..

Its not a good sign of things to come.. but you're right. I should just sit back and play something like COD or PUBG in the mean time.. and get ready for what the future dayz will be just like. 

FML.

I really enjoy the new stamina system. If you want more defense (clothes, press vest, anti-stab vest, vests in general) then since they are heavy you get a reduction to sprint, and the more weight you have the less stamina you have. This is simple, yet efficient and authentic. I feel it's a good way to cancel the "power COD" style of double carrying with hundreds of rounds.

Even the reloading mechanic is great imo. It's no that different from 0.62, or maybe I played too much or had a similar style, as I used to put mags in my action bar to change them and it's the same with 0.63, so I don't see the problem. Even reloading mags with the action bar is more fun, and less "cheat" like than it was. I mean come on, full infinite sprint while you go into the inventory, empty ammo box and fill mags in an instant?!?! Nope, not for me. I never really liked that.

The only thing that bothers me is the ADS, and it's a known "issue" right now, if you've read the status report.

• Like 1
  • Beans 4

3 hours ago, Irish. said:

Read the posts on Reddit, and its clear.. we are not entirely happy over here. Some major changes were made, some good, and some not so much..

The major changes that I see many people not liking:

Changes to ADS..

Changes to the weapons in general.. like hip fire, cross hair, projectiles.. etc..

Changes to reloading.. 

Changes to run speed..

Adding the stamina system.. 

Then we see that Brian is gone. Much like Dean left.. 

What the heck is going on over there? Why would you change things that should never be changed? Changing the mechanics for shooting is confusing at best. Especially when those changes were not good. And even further more, when its from the company that made ARMA.

You need to realize why we love playing dayz.. its constant curiosity.. constant learning... NOT CONSTANT ANNOYANCES. Dayz and its greatness comes not from how painful it is to learn how to play, or to play in general. Its beauty comes from the open sandbox world, where we can do almost anything we want. The draw was never the PUNISHING ANTI-GAME.. it really wasnt.. we flocked to this game because it was massive, and took years sometimes to learn how to do all the different parts of the game because there were no instructions.. guess what is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY now? Instructions on how to play.. *(wait for console versions) 

I mean.. have you paid no attention to what we complain about, over and over again? Its the things that dont work right, and show up buggy.. so please dont change the things that DID work. 

All we ever want is a Dayz that runs smoothly, and works right. A Dayz that has options, not takes them away.

Maybe Peter is the one that needs to step back?

Sincerely, 

Irish 

Oh, the buggy card.  Can you really play that one?  We are still in Alpha/Beta stage.  Everyone here knows that there's bugs and that they get worked on.  Tons of bugs are expected as DayZ goes into beta.  Bugs we've all seen before. 

Punishing anti-game.  Just no.  The last time anyone seriously pushed 'punishing anti-game' was Dean.  Making an anti-game game is nonsensical.  The title has to have balance, has to have mechanics that make sense, it has to be a game,... in order to be a game.  Non-sociopaths play this game all the time.  People treat it as a game.  We don't murder people out of boredom in real life.  This is clearly an MMO.  A first person shooter MMO.  Without NPCs, text, or currencies.  Has anybody really been tricked into believing this is really an ANTI-GAME?  What is an anti-game anyway?  Nothing.  Just some stuff someone made up to sell an idea.  Seems self evident to me that a gaming company cannot sell something that isn't a game, to a bunch of gamers.  

There isn't much research necessary, really.  It doesn't take years or even days to follow the implemented game mechanics.  Personally, I've never came across an instance where I learned something on my own, in-game.  I guess if you've never searched the internet and intentionally shield yourself from learning things outside the actual game, then you may gradually learn information.  But if you do it that way, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage.

I really like the new controls.  I haven't followed reddit complaints.  Sure, there's more going on now and control of your toon requires more keystrokes and extra actions, but this is actually a good thing!   Right now, in .62 you get to dodge and weave and perform complex actions easily and without penalty.  .62 is basically abusing the network to dodge bullets.  Melee combat is way more powerful than it should be.  Midrange tactical warfare is basically non-existant.  It's just poking people with sticks, camp sniping, ignoring zombies, and shoot as much as you want.

I don't see the complaints people have with navigating the UI and player controller.  You have the ability to change keybindings to suit your needs.  I did.  It worked great.  I play .63 offline smoothly and practiced the keybinds I set.  Muscle memory makes it smooth over time.   It's so much easier to just play when you don't have to think about what key to press in order to do something and this comes with time.

The game doesn't need instructions and isn't CONSTANTLY ANNOYING.  Completely subjective.

You've made references that Peter and Brian somehow don't get along.  Brian hasn't really indicated that he's at odds with Peter.  Who even cares? It's a business.  Reading between the lines and saying there's conflict is like high school drama.  Just take them at what they say.  It's so much easier that way.  It's really hard to debate a point based off of the conjecture of two developers' relationship.

Edited by Parazight
  • Beans 3

4 hours ago, Irish. said:

Don't assume that you speak for all of "us".

• Beans 3

4 hours ago, Parazight said:

I really like the new controls.  I haven't followed reddit complaints.  Sure, there's more going on now and control of your toon requires more keystrokes and extra actions, but this is actually a good thing!   Right now, in .62 you get to dodge and weave and perform complex actions easily and without penalty.  .62 is basically abusing the network to dodge bullets.  Melee combat is way more powerful than it should be.  Midrange tactical warfare is basically non-existant.  It's just poking people with sticks, camp sniping, ignoring zombies, and shoot as much as you want.

I don't see the complaints people have with navigating the UI and player controller.  You have the ability to change keybindings to suit your needs.  I did.  It worked great.  I play .63 offline smoothly and practiced the keybinds I set.  Muscle memory makes it smooth over time.   It's so much easier to just play when you don't have to think about what key to press in order to do something and this comes with time.

Completely agree, I think most of the complaints regarding changes is simply people not wanting to adapt - back in the day people would complain about all of the above but have become used to it, therefore it is 'normal' and should never be changed. 

•  I have no problem with the new ADS configuration, hold to raise weapon is also fine - maybe it becomes toggle-able if you are prone/ resting your weapon.
  • The simplification of weapon mechanics' is a little concerning.
  • Has the run speed actually been changed? I though it was just that stamina now prevents sprinting everywhere? Either way I like foot speed being nerfed - getting to the NW should be a achievement.
  • The way the actions-bar is evolving is great.

• Beans 3

The new controls system for ADS etc. feels good. Just need to change controls to fit the old style like space for raise weapon, right mouse to aim and shift to hold breath.

Stamina is an OK start but pretty meh. It isn't really doing anything currently because it's such a short term stamina and even more forgiving than what's in Arma 3.

• I'd say it would be better to increase the amount of stamina A LOT. Like 100 times or something like that, I don't know.
  • Make it so it only regenerates if you walk or stand still
  • Drain the stamina even when jogging
  • Out of Stamina and you're going to walk or jog very slowly.

There was a lot of good in Arma 3's old fatigue like animation slow downs that made you really think how you should move. But then the stamina came in and made it like stamina/fatigue doesn't even exist. This DayZ's system reminds a lot of the Arma 3's stamina and I'm not happy about it. You could just remove it because it doesn't do anything just like in Arma 3.

• Beans 1

On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 9:03 AM, odin_lowe said:

I really enjoy the new stamina system. If you want more defense (clothes, press vest, anti-stab vest, vests in general) then since they are heavy you get a reduction to sprint, and the more weight you have the less stamina you have. This is simple, yet efficient and authentic. I feel it's a good way to cancel the "power COD" style of double carrying with hundreds of rounds.

Even the reloading mechanic is great imo. It's no that different from 0.62, or maybe I played too much or had a similar style, as I used to put mags in my action bar to change them and it's the same with 0.63, so I don't see the problem. Even reloading mags with the action bar is more fun, and less "cheat" like than it was. I mean come on, full infinite sprint while you go into the inventory, empty ammo box and fill mags in an instant?!?! Nope, not for me. I never really liked that.

The only thing that bothers me is the ADS, and it's a known "issue" right now, if you've read the status report.

This sounds like a more reasonable response. I can't wait to play it and check it out for myself. As long as they keep the realism/survival aspect of the game, as well as fixing the mechanics/physics, then I will be happy!

• Beans 1

Peter's response:

"I think, given everyone's clearly strong opinions on the matter that we would all benefit from taking a step back, taking a breath and looking at this from a different angle. Looking back at my ‘Fun Fact’ tweet to see how it was kinda rough and sarcastic, I can certainly understand how it annoyed some of you up and confused many.

At very first, I understand you folks all love DayZ and you really want to get your hands on the systems, mechanics and overall we have working on, that new DayZ, you have all waited for so long already. I think all of us, the developers, and community want DayZ to become everything it could be, and everything we wanted it to be if not more. I’m really the last guy who would like to water down DayZ experience or make it casual by any means. So I ask each of you, do you really feel that all that changes with advanced firearms manipulation, loading magazines with bullets one by one, being prepared for situations to come, slowing down the pace to make it more tactical and thoughtful, is making DayZ casual?

Let’s make that straight - any kind of constructive criticism and feedback is gold to me and the team. But what happened for some reasons, for me personally, was a little bit oversensitive reaction, causing an unnecessary avalanche. Maybe it’s me and my English which leads to clumsy explanations what’s going on and what are the intentions. Maybe we still didn’t deliver whole, or enough polished picture to be studied and hopefully enjoyed. Maybe it’s just we, all together, are already tired and frustrated from the long wait, jumping the gun here and there.

In previous DayZ versions (0.62 and lower) projectile was fired always in direction of the barrel of a gun, even during point shooting (‘hip fire’ as some of you like to refer to it). In such case, certainly corresponding to reality, it leads to some unwanted results. The important thing, to be aware of, is that you, as a player, are focusing your sight to the centre of the screen - subconsciously. Other things that play the role in such situation and need to be taken into account are the actual distance to the target (the closer the worse) and actual firearm position in screen space (more off-centre the worse).

So, at first in such case, what you will observe after shooting is that there is significant offset between centre of the screen and actual point of the bullet impact. Secondly, because of that, it is necessary to show you the actual direction where it will fly to account that offset, which means the need of introduction of floating crosshair which is projected in direction of the barrel of a gun for point shooting. Without it, you don’t need to have point shooting at all, as in this realistic case, you just miss most of the time your target altogether. Thirdly, as the result, you are forced to hunt that projected floating cursor around the screen with your eyes which can become tedious. All of that is a just unnecessary hassle and counterproductive, especially when shooting quickly at close ranges.

Fast forward to present - as mentioned in last Status Report, the change already introduced in 0.63, which is applied during point shooting (with the raised firearm, but not aiming down the sight, to be specific), is the altered direction in which projectile is fired from the said gun. To be clear - point shooting in DayZ is meant to endanger targets at close ranges, within reach up to, let’s say, 15 to 25 meters. It’s meant to be used in stress situations, which needs lightning fast reactions to possible life-threatening situations. By any means, it’s not there to be used for accurate taking down targets at mid to long ranges.

Current implementation solves all these issues mentioned above with old system. Why just not to point projectiles to space you are already subconsciously focused at? There isn’t anything bad about it. Yes, I acknowledge, it’s not realistic, but let not get overly intoxicated by some ‘simulation mantra’ indifferently hanging in the air. DayZ is meant to be authentic, not realistic. Even when we are dancing on the edge between the simulation and the game, let don’t forget, that we simply cannot afford full simulation of things, even if we want. At the end of the day what really matters is the fun, enjoyment and experience you get from playing DayZ while creating your own stories.

I have to emphasize again, that current implementation is still rough on edges, and there are some specific situations where it isn’t working properly or straight wrong. We are not happy about it and it’s not how it will stay. Our goal with it is to reach the state, where it’s nearly impossible to distinguish it from the realistic behaviour of shooting along the direction of a barrel of the gun. Believe me, we know how to achieve it, it will just take some time to implement and to settle down.

To underline things that weren’t changed in point shooting (AKA ‘hip fire’), in case I wasn’t specific enough about them, or you who are still worried about these, let me summarize it. Projectiles are still fired from the gun, it doesn’t allow you to shoot around corners, cover or from any advantageous positions at all, we didn’t change how external and internal ballistics works, and there is still sway, recoil and zeroing applied to the trajectory of the projectile fired during point shooting.

I encourage anyone who is reading this to give me your opinions, concerns, and questions. Gunplay is critical to DayZ and I feel together we can reach our mutual goals. So let bury the hatchet and see stabilized new point shooting first, so we can judge it together and decide upon it.

Thank you for your time, energy and passion. You are one of best community around as I already stated many times… see you in Chernarus folks!"

- Peter Nespesny / Lead Designer

Touche Peter.. I will step way back, and do me. Best of luck with the console port. 

:)

Edited by Irish.
  • Beans 3

On 5/9/2018 at 12:52 PM, ebrim said:

Don't assume that you speak for all of "us".

I am sorry. I assume way too much. 

I guess I have been here too long. :(

Edited by Irish.
  • Beans 2

makes DayZ for the PC ... and then it adapts to the console. Not the other way around .... because modding does not come from the console.

7 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

makes DayZ for the PC ... and then it adapts to the console. Not the other way around .... because modding does not come from the console.

I 100000000000000000000000000% agree. 

I have been playing this game since February 2014 and followed this game VERY, VERY, VERY closely ever since.  I have been gaming since the early/mid 80's and I have NEVER had a game that is like DAYZ in all these years.  This game is (was?) so fn amazing.  I know I'm an old fart compared to you 20 somethings and teenagers, but there is no game that I get the enjoyment and excitement from that DayZ gives.

I thought the old combat system was rough around the edges but amazing, especially given things like the weapon sway after a long run and trying to get that floating crosshair right on target to shoot, etc.  With the floating half circle crosshair, it required great skill to master and wasn't just a PUBG/COD clone that is just like every single other shooter.  Dayz was WAAAAY different and challenging.  Which is one of the things I love about it so much.  However, the combat changes in .63 are incredibly fail imo and align it more with a PUBG/COD clone (speaking combat mechanics only, not survival aspect, etc.)

Why are we changing the way the bullet leaves the gun?  Why don't we have a floating cursor anymore?  I don't understand why these changes would be made aside from the fact that the new console port won't allow the old system with the controllers on console.  Yes, I have read the entire status report, read all of twitter replies to Peter, read the entire Reddit thread about Peters response and the community response.  I sill believe this change was to make it super easy to port to console.

I want the floating crosshair back, the ADS fixed, and the bullets to NO LONGER GO TO THE CENTER OF THE SCREEN!!!!!  This is the dumbest decision you could have ever made for this game.  And I am 98% sure it was done for consoles so that you could just easily port it over, but you will NEVER EVER admit that cash grab is the reason for this.

DEVS:

You all made this major design decision without involving the community or asking us about it.  No mention of it in the status reports, you just did it. (this furthermore solidifies that you did it for consoles and refused to tell us about it in SR's because you didn't want the backlash and so could make 1 copy of the game to then port to console instead of making a PC version, then a console version with 2 completely different shooting mechanics)  The PC community made DayZ what it is today, give the PC community what it wants and bring back at least the floating crosshair, the ADS fix, and the bullets leaving the gun and going to center of screen.  Between all the platforms, including Reddit, that is what your PC community wants overall.  I have been reviewing them since the SR was posted on Tuesday.  Again, I love this game and its amazingness, but if you screw the PC community with this shit shooting mechanics change, I will never, ever spend a penny on a BI game ever again.

If you have to make 2 version of the game, 1 for PC and 1 for console, fine with me.  Do it.  But don't screw over the PC community who have supported you for YEARS, just for the console cash grab of making 1 game with shit shooting mechanics for PC just because it make it extremely easy to port it to console.  Don't sellout your PC crowd just to make an easy money grab for console.  Make 2 games if you have to.

DON'T FORGET, THE PC PLAYERS LIKE ME GAVE YOU OUR MONEY A LONG ASS TIME AGO (OVER 4 YEARS AGO) AND WE DON'T WANT THE COMBAT MECHANICS TO TURN TO SHIT!!!!!   I know it is easy to say screw that, we need to grab millions from console now since we already got our  PC money, but that will be a very bad mistake for you as a company.

I can give you tons of reasons why a lot of the community wants things like the bullet not going to center of screen anymore, but there are TONS of examples in the Reddit post that Peter made if you want to go there and read them.

Edited by thebaddestass
  • Thanks 1

I love the beta. I think every feature they have added is great. I don't mind the changes to aim. It's different, but I have spent a lot of time with it in offline mode and I'm comfortable with the changes now. The things that are right with .63 far outweigh the things that are wrong with it in my opinion. The ambient noise is great. There is a ton of detail to listen for. The inertia system is something we have needed for a long time. Finally no more stupid zig zag combat. Also, .63 has a melee combat system with combos and defensive moves, which is actually more than I was expecting. Zombie interactions are also way less stupid. It feels more like a real game interacting with them. They don't have x ray vision. You can hide fairly easy. Also, I think stamina is a good choice for DayZ, and I love how your character limps over time as he/she accrues various afflictions.

DayZ's current player base is used to an enormous amount of running in straight lines without stopping anywhere along the way to get where they are going the fastest. That is because loot is thinly distributed and very far away. Also hunger and thirst is virtually not a problem because of apple trees. I think it's important to remember that this sucks and is not the way the game is supposed to be. The shores in .63 won't be barren. The loot system  is better. We won't need to run marathons every spawn to find what we want. Also, vehicles!

• Beans 1

12 hours ago, Solopopo said:

I love the beta. I think every feature they have added is great.

I'm more concerned about the ones taken away.

Another thing is that after the rewrite of the weapons we are missing implementation of dispersion - random cone-shaped spread defined by angle. Previously it was used as kind of an inaccuracy from the manufacturing process where long barrel weapons were most accurate and short barrel ones were least. We are not using it anymore as I think ‘fighting’ some random nonsense on mid to long ranges is over the top, as players are already challenged enough by mechanics like sway, recoil, zeroing, actual bullet speed and drop - all that combined with character movement, which is enough.

1 hour ago, -Gews- said:

Best .63 beta loadout:  MP5K and the Obrez with a Hunting Scope duct taped to it.  Who doesn't want that? you don't even need a gun on your back! lulz

• Beans 1

2 hours ago, -Gews- said:

I must be missing something. What has been taken away? I see only fixed problems. The only thing I can identify that has actually been taken from us is infinite super human like run speed, which has been cited as a problem with DayZ's pvp for a long time. Sure we cant raise and lower our weapon the same way anymore, but is it really that different? It was a feature we all become comfortable with that was ultimately pointless. They wanted the left mouse button to have more functionality than just shooting and organizing items. I really think the "problems" we are discussing in this thread are trivial in light of what has been accomplished with .63. Anyone who doesn't like middle mouse aim can just rebind. Like, common guys, seriously. How can you not appreciate this? It's amazing. They have not been working all these years on what button does what, they have been working on the core foundations of the game, and they are there, and they are awesome.

Anyone who actually has a legitimate complaint about .63, can you elaborate please? The complaints listed in this thread all seem trivial to me. Why are the changes to ADS bad? Why is stamina bad? Why are changes to run speed bad? Maybe we don't need to be full out sprinting everywhere all the time to have fun in .63. We only do that in DayZ now because it is the only way to get to the fun.

Edited by Solopopo

1 hour ago, Parazight said:

Best .63 beta loadout:  MP5K and the Obrez with a Hunting Scope duct taped to it.  Who doesn't want that? you don't even need a gun on your back! lulz

Yes.

It seems like everyone's talking about bullets not following the weapon's bore axis. But bullets never did follow the weapon's bore axis.

Removing weapons' dispersions is much more concerning.

3 hours ago, Solopopo said:

I must be missing something. What has been taken away?

"we are missing implementation of dispersion"
"we are not using it anymore"

Guns have dispersion. Some guns have less dispersion and some guns have more—most people call this 'accuracy'.

If they deliberately removed weapon dispersion to give all the guns perfect accuracy?

That means their weapon simulation is no longer realistic or 'authentic'.

1 hour ago, -Gews- said:

"we are missing implementation of dispersion"
"we are not using it anymore"

Ah, okay. That is a significant change. I have noticed that landing shots at range seems a little more consistent. That isn't something I necessarily mind though. As far as I know, wind still affects bullet trajectory, which is good enough for me.

3 minutes ago, Solopopo said:

Ah, okay. That is a significant change. I have noticed that landing shots at range seems a little more consistent. That isn't something I necessarily mind though. As far as I know, wind still affects bullet trajectory, which is good enough for me.

No wind in DayZ, or ARMA, so it's only bullet drop.

7 minutes ago, -Gews- said:

No wind in DayZ, or ARMA, so it's only bullet drop.

Wind actually does influence bullet trajectory in Arma 3. It is one of the game's lesser known features. I remember experimenting with it a while back. There is an item in the game to determine wind direction which is intended for sniping. I used it. It works. I've also anticipated wind direction in DayZ to land shots at range.

One of my fondest Arma 3 memories was a long distance snipe I had where I used the smoke from a crashed plane to determine wind direction, and hit the target on the first shot.

Edited by Solopopo

40 minutes ago, Solopopo said:

Wind actually does influence bullet trajectory in Arma 3. It is one of the game's lesser known features. I remember experimenting with it a while back. There is an item in the game to determine wind direction which is intended for sniping. I used it. It works. I've also anticipated wind direction in DayZ to land shots at range.

One of my fondest Arma 3 memories was a long distance snipe I had where I used the smoke from a crashed plane to determine wind direction, and hit the target on the first shot.

Wind would be added via a mod in this case. The item you mentioned sounds like the Kestrel.

Come to think of it, the servers I play on are in fact heavily modded. I don't think it was the kestrel, but something similar. It must have just been bullet drop / lag then in dayz. That's a bummer.

"Another thing is that after the rewrite of the weapons we are missing implementation of dispersion - random cone-shaped spread defined by angle. Previously it was used as kind of an inaccuracy from the manufacturing process where long barrel weapons were most accurate and short barrel ones were least. We are not using it anymore as I think ‘fighting’ some random nonsense on mid to long ranges is over the top, as players are already challenged enough by mechanics like sway, recoil, zeroing, actual bullet speed and drop - all that combined with character movement, which is enough."

I didn't realize this quote was included in your response to me at first. I actually agree with this statement. I think aiming difficulty has been a little over the top. It became way better when they stopped the wild sway that used to happen, but still very hard.

Edited by Solopopo

11 hours ago, Solopopo said:

I think aiming difficulty has been a little over the top. It became way better when they stopped the wild sway that used to happen, but still very hard.

That sway is what made combat mechanics in Dayz different than any other game.   It also required skill to master so 10 year old COD players can't just come in and know how to play it.  That is the trade off for running, not being able to aim well.  That is what makes Dayz, the choices you make sometimes have dire consequences.  But you say that is "a little over the top"  Hell let's just take stamina out, because it is "a little over the top."  Let's stop hunger and thirst because it is "a little over the top."  Let's add a ton of other stuff to "a little over the top too" and just make this a PUBG clone!!!! WOOOHOOO!!! exactly what the gaming community needs, another PUBG.