Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Espa

Where have all the scary Infected gone to?

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, just a small discussion on the Infected. It seems like when .61 first came out, the Infected's senses were on point and they were fast, strong, and could find you by the smallest sound. .

Now, they're like hungover college students that I can run behind and not aggro, they won't catch up to me, they don't follow as far, and they just plain aren't a danger anymore. 

What happened??

The game felt so much more immersing and actually brought a lot of players in cooperation because we were afraid of the Infected. That was a GOOD thing! I want to see them back to their scary state so this game goes back to being harsher with threats existing further than other players or the mischance of being caught unawares by wolves, enhancing the first and most capital of threats in this game; The Infected!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea aggro range seems to be really short now iirc.

Like zombies should be startled by the tiniest movement or noise tbh. Like running beside a wall with a zombie on the other side should make them aggro. (Not at you but aggro in general)

Not to mention when they bring in the new zombie sounds coupled with the eden system like distant zombie screams (from aggroing) etc that'll be great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a strange experience with the infected over the past couple of days. Usually if I'm quick enough I can run up to them and hit them over the head before they react, I think I probably get about six feet away before they freeze to calculate, and then get aggro'd (you can almost see the gears turning in their heads). But more recently I've started aggroing zombies through walls, and they've been charging me from much greater distances, thing is, there hasn't been a patch in between these behaviours. I don't know if a server can alter zombie behaviour or not, but particularly the last two days on the server I play on, they've gotten a lot more sensitive or smarter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I remember, there was a bunch of complaints and the infected AI got nerfed. My opinion, seems like it's feast or famine (polar opposites in strength) with the infected AI. Maybe the AI needs to be rewritten?

One thing that needs to be rewritten/adjusted is if you get an infected on you and they get too close, it seems impossible to them to swing and miss. It's a swing and auto-hit. Once they get close, they're going to hit you 100% of the time (or so it seems) and draw blood 80% of the time. I want to draw them near and make them miss with skillful play. Also, they're ruining gear way too much (even the leather gear). Leather gear should be more resilient to infected swipes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of this problem is because of desync on high populated servers. Our group has migrated to high populated private hive servers and you can clearly see the impact on AI in general when the server is full. This is a known and acknowledged problem by the developers and they are working on it.

However, I do believe that sometimes you might encounter very few infected because the maximum amount has been hit. Those are my observations which of course I can not fully confirm.

42 minutes ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

From what I remember, there was a bunch of complaints and the infected AI got nerfed. My opinion, seems like it's feast or famine (polar opposites in strength) with the infected AI. Maybe the AI needs to be rewritten?

One thing that needs to be rewritten/adjusted is if you get an infected on you and they get too close, it seems impossible to them to swing and miss. It's a swing and auto-hit. Once they get close, they're going to hit you 100% of the time (or so it seems) and draw blood 80% of the time. I want to draw them near and make them miss with skillful play. Also, they're ruining gear way too much (even the leather gear). Leather gear should be more resilient to infected swipes.

I would say that 8 out of the 10 infected I fight, I can kill them without them even hitting me. And I'm talking about infected which have aggro on me, it's just a case of learning to time and dodge their attacks. Learn their aggro distance and how they work and you can successfully loot an entire town with only getting hit a few times.

Basically what you need to do is when they're about to start their attack animation, strafe to the right, turn towards the left and swing your melee (I prefer the Firefighter Axe or Splitting Axe). This will "stun" them, giving you the opportunity for your next attack and killing them quickly. I also play agressive towards them. If I know I can't avoid aggro, I will run up to them and start attacking them before they aggro.

Most of the times I don't even use my pistol and specially not my main weapon but rather melee them.

Edited by IMT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, IMT said:

I would say that 8 out of the 10 infected I fight, I can kill them without them even hitting me. And I'm talking about infected which have aggro on me, it's just a case of learning to time and dodge their attacks. Learn their aggro distance and how they work and you can successfully loot an entire town with only getting hit a few times.

Basically what you need to do is when they're about to start their attack animation, strafe to the right, turn towards the left and swing your melee (I prefer the Firefighter Axe or Splitting Axe). This will "stun" them, giving you the opportunity for your next attack and killing them quickly. I also play agressive towards them. If I know I can't avoid aggro, I will run up to them and start attacking them before they aggro.

Most of the times I don't even use my pistol and specially not my main weapon but rather melee them.

I can't move laterally and avoid the swipes lately. They only way I can prevent getting hit lately is if I time my spear or attack as an intercepting blow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

Once they get close, they're going to hit you 100% of the time 

The problem here is that the animations don't telegraph very well when and where a zombie is going to hit. What ends up happening is they sort of nudge you and bam, you get double slapped and you're bleeding like you've got leukemia. I think the devs need to work on some real winding up of animations, not to make it easier, but just to make it fairer, because we've all been sucker punched by a zombie that looked like it was doing something else, but really pummelled you into the ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ketran said:

The problem here is that the animations don't telegraph very well when and where a zombie is going to hit. What ends up happening is they sort of nudge you and bam, you get double slapped and you're bleeding like you've got leukemia. I think the devs need to work on some real winding up of animations, not to make it easier, but just to make it fairer, because we've all been sucker punched by a zombie that looked like it was doing something else, but really pummelled you into the ground.

the infected are on the new controller and you are on the old controller, that's why you and the infected don't match up in game so that will be better when the new player controller is in game ,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMT is right it's because of the high populated servers. If you join a low pop you will get raped by the zombies if you don't know how to handle them.

Server performance is so horrible this patch and it was supposed to be better than other patches. I think the reason why the servers are such crap when they are full is because the new dynamic zombie system. We shall see how it works out though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"server performance"

When my low/no pop server spikes to 20 players occasionally the infected dumb down, when it's just me they're deadly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

I can't move laterally and avoid the swipes lately. They only way I can prevent getting hit lately is if I time my spear or attack as an intercepting blow.

I try to bait them into doing the double swipe, then move in for a hit with a heavy melee.  This will stagger them and as long as your timing is right, you should be able to kill them without taking damage.

Edited by sanguine00

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see most of you think it's server performance, but when I was playing on .61 on Exp on FULL servers, they reacted just fine in their massacring ways. 

It was in streams as well. .

I think the addition of cars is what drugged out the Infected, perhaps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×