Baty Alquawen

Status Report - 25 Oct 2016

@Baty Alquawen Congratulations to your success and becoming the new Community Manager! 

To all the developers. We all know you are working very hard every day. Awesome work and I look forward to all the new work you have been working on! 

• Like 2

Watching the video Hicks posted in the .61 discussion thread made me realize how hindered our peripheral vision is on a standard single screen.

There's a moment where he is facing an incoming infected and he (somehow) steps back just in time to be missed by an unseen infected approaching from his left.

I then thought that it might be compensatory to make sounds of movement a tick louder in ones periphery, like your ears were perked up by sound outside your view.

I liked the idea of VR for DayZ but a few people have voiced concerns which has made me rethink this. I'm very much in the "wait and see" camp for any new tech, especially the pricey kind.

*Someone needs to make a program that works like "keyboard bifocals". It would create a VR overlay of your keyboard is it is in relation to yours eye in real life when you looked down without tilting your head down.

What about having different ways to open a door...slowly by using the action button + mousewheel  and fast ( kicking in the door) by double tapping the action key ( swinging away from the player). Gates should of course always swing away from the player...

just some thoughts

At first, nice SR.

Second:

Maybe there is also the possibility that the doors during the "open / close" sequence into a "no clip" mode. This should also work for vehicles. There is the danger that a vehicle door moves into a tree/player? and thus arrests. An opening / closing action would again be a release from the object. Think very dangerous if open door if you drive --> emercenty stop then.

Only one idea ^^ .

It'd be so fun if you came to Myshkino tents the day of 0.61 release and there was nothing there but a hole in the ground.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Watching the video Hicks posted in the .61 discussion thread made me realize how hindered our peripheral vision is on a standard single screen.

There's a moment where he is facing an incoming infected and he (somehow) steps back just in time to be missed by an unseen infected approaching from his left.

I then thought that it might be compensatory to make sounds of movement a tick louder in ones periphery, like your ears were perked up by sound outside your view.

I liked the idea of VR for DayZ but a few people have voiced concerns which has made me rethink this. I'm very much in the "wait and see" camp for any new tech, especially the pricey kind.

*Someone needs to make a program that works like "keyboard bifocals". It would create a VR overlay of your keyboard is it is in relation to yours eye in real life when you looked down without tilting your head down.

I think Microsoft is working on a augmented reality product, I think that could be better than VR, which would induce vomit in DayZ.

Track IR is the best option IMO. This brings up the question, will Track IR be supported with the new player controller?

I'm not really buying in to that doors opening both ways. Metal fence opening is the only thing that has bothered me. I don't remember having any problems with doors.

Is there a problem that when door hits you and makes you move a bit, it desyncs you in the server?

Better solution would be that you can tell which way door opens when you watch it. If it's sunk in the doorway/wall, it opens away. If it's at the level of the wall or bit out, it opens at you.

Seriously funny seeing a dozen people talking about doors.

Just a reminder, we waited 3 years to get doors that are not penetrated by zombies, yet we don't even have zombies in game atm.

Are you really sure talking about getting door mechanics, is the thing you want to discuss here?

That is all.

Edited by emuthreat

my opinion about doors is that they should act like they do irl (in an ideal version of DayZ):

open only in one direction, door snaps when it gets fully closed, door can be opend more than 90°, doors stop at an obstacle.

i have two interesting references for this which both are not ideal, but could give some ideas of how it could work.

1: Americas Army 3: Doors open in both directions, doors are operated by pressing use key -> door will open until it 90° or stopped; doors can be stopped by presing use key on them, so using it twice will open the door a bit making it possible to either look through or throw grenades inside without exposing oneself to fire

2: Arma3 ACE: by pressing space and using the mousewheel you can slowly open the door, just to peek, or throw stuff inside.

now lets take this as a basic:

i suppose your plan is to either make doors just like those western movie saloon doors, where you can simply walk through without using the handle(, and which will close again after you), or simply doors thet can be opened both ways (always away from you) by interaction.

second solution would have the same problems with pushing, like the current version, unless some stopping mechanics would be used. while the first solution would propably have syncing issues.

so both would't be unproblematic and require some more work, for a non-ideal solution.

if we now mixed it with the AA3 and ACE³ variants i would come up with this:

You interact with a short click on a closed door: it opens until it collides with something (most times a wall).

You interact with a partially opend door, it will close, unless you interact again, in which case it will open again.

You walk against an partially opend door: it will move away from you, so either will open or close, depending on the direction it opens to.

You interact with the door by holding interact and using you mousewheel: the door will slowly open close, depending on the direction you spin the mousewheel.

Pros:

Maximum controll over doors

Doors will act realistically

extendable for breaching and barricading

can work with minimal player animations

Cons:

requires some work 

needs proper syncing

collision detection might slow down servers

might be possible to lock someone inside by blocking the outside of a door (would require some way to break a door, or at use force to open, maybe with pushing)

so this is how doors should imho be ideally in DayZ (propably even for Arma as a tech transfer). I can't realy tell how hard it would be to implement it, but it would be great it it came this way.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HaseDesTodes said:

my opinion about doors is that they should act like they do irl (in an ideal version of DayZ):

open only in one direction, door snaps when it gets fully closed, door can be opend more than 90°, doors stop at an obstacle.

i have two interesting references for this which both are not ideal, but could give some ideas of how it could work.

1: Americas Army 3: Doors open in both directions, doors are operated by pressing use key -> door will open until it 90° or stopped; doors can be stopped by presing use key on them, so using it twice will open the door a bit making it possible to either look through or throw grenades inside without exposing oneself to fire

2: Arma3 ACE: by pressing space and using the mousewheel you can slowly open the door, just to peek, or throw stuff inside.

now lets take this as a basic:

i suppose your plan is to either make doors just like those western movie saloon doors, where you can simply walk through without using the handle(, and which will close again after you), or simply doors thet can be opened both ways (always away from you) by interaction.

second solution would have the same problems with pushing, like the current version, unless some stopping mechanics would be used. while the first solution would propably have syncing issues.

so both would't be unproblematic and require some more work, for a non-ideal solution.

if we now mixed it with the AA3 and ACE³ variants i would come up with this:

You interact with a short click on a closed door: it opens until it collides with something (most times a wall).

You interact with a partially opend door, it will close, unless you interact again, in which case it will open again.

You walk against an partially opend door: it will move away from you, so either will open or close, depending on the direction it opens to.

You interact with the door by holding interact and using you mousewheel: the door will slowly open close, depending on the direction you spin the mousewheel.

Pros:

Maximum controll over doors

Doors will act realistically

extendable for breaching and barricading

can work with minimal player animations

Cons:

requires some work 

needs proper syncing

collision detection might slow down servers

might be possible to lock someone inside by blocking the outside of a door (would require some way to break a door, or at use force to open, maybe with pushing)

so this is how doors should imho be ideally in DayZ (propably even for Arma as a tech transfer). I can't realy tell how hard it would be to implement it, but it would be great it it came this way.

This is getting to a good solution. I also think 2 way opening doors would detract from the realism and the experience.

In real life if you try and open a door when you are in the way, the door stops, so same should happen here. So you either have to make sure you're not in the swing path to start off with or if it opens and you're in the way, it stops opening, then you move to the side or back and e.g. double click to continue opening the door / gate or single click to close again. Should be reasonably simple to implement and should work and retains realism. Same if it hits another object, like infected or vehicle, the door gets affected, not the object.

Also have an option for fast (and loud) opening (eg double click) and slow and quiet opening (single click). You could use the character-blocking-the-door-mechanics to control the door somewhat with the character, nudging it shut or open, turning this problem into a positive aspect and one that mimics real life more. Also open doors can be be moved and even slammed shut by the wind, and be affected in other ways by the environment, rather than just being fully open or closed, and have varying degrees of creak or noise to them.