Sign in to follow this  
Bororm

CLE: easier to get m4/mags than civilian weapons (now with expanded feedback)

Please adjust the CLE.  It's 100x easier to B-line to either mil base and grab an m4 and mags than any civilian weapons.  You can spend an hour+ looting cities to not find matching ammo/weapons or you can spend 20 minutes from a good spawn to the bases and have a working m4 or other assault rifle.

I encounter more M4s than any other weapon currently, even on the coast.

want to use double barrels, mosins, pistols and other civ weps.  Fix the CLE, it's adjustable on the fly, it doesn't interfere with development.  Tweak drop rates to spawn more civ weapons/ammo combos.

**Gonna edit and expand this:

There are a number of problems currently with the way loot spawns, creating the above situation.  I'm just going to list them as I see it, to try to keep things relatively concise as I have a tendency to ramble:

-There are less military structures than civilian.  This creates a situation of loot density.  It is much easier to find assault rifles than any other weapon in the game, because they are concentrated in fewer areas.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing, it makes sense, and military bases should be rewarding.  The issue is less with the general idea, and more with the implementation of loot spawning/quantities.  The following points will tie into this.

-I'm not 100% on how loot respawns, but I don't think my understanding is entirely inaccurate.  You loot an item and another item from that group is spawned some where else on the map with the next wave.  Example: loot can of beans in a house in cherno, 15 minutes later an item of the same group (lets just say food) spawns some where else.  The issue with this ties with the first point, as there are a set number of military buildings these items essentially ping pong between structures like the tent cities, where as civilian loot is wide spread across the map.

-Item quantities.  Civilian structures have been increased nearly every patch.  Cherno about doubled in size with the last patch.  Items also now spawn in clothing.  I don't think global item population was increased enough to reflect this.  A very large portion of houses are completely devoid of loot, because there's simply not enough to go around.  This feels bad, it is much more satisfying to loot structures and find things you don't want/need, than to loot empty buildings and feel like you're just wasting your time.

1.  A side note on this when it comes to coastal towns.  The mentality of getting players off the coast and adjusting loot to encourage this seems counter intuitive to increasing the amount of structures.  What is the point of doubling the size of cherno and greatly expanding elektro if loot is intended to be scarce there?  I personally disagree with the mentality of forcing players off the coast through such blunt means as reducing loot.  The mod had amazing map flow and it wasn't achieved in this way, it was achieved by putting the best items inland.  There are differences in the SA compared to the mod but in general a sandbox should seek to encourage movement through subtle means.

-I'd really like to see civilian structures more specialized.  I should seek out specific house/building types for higher chances of specific weapons, such as barns/cabins for shotguns or particular houses for certain pistols or rifles.  This is only very loosely true currently with some houses spawning guns in general more often.

-Ammo/mags.  Assault rifles mags by their nature are going to be capable of spawning with more ammo than something like a pistol mag.  Boxes of ammo come in stacks of 20-30.  It's possible to find full drum or 60 round mags.  There is also the issue of heli crashes spawning full ammo boxes of 5.56.  One more detail is that ammo in mags spawns pristine, while loose/boxed rounds potentially spawn damaged.  The end result is there is way more assault rifle ammo than any other type, furthering the gap between using these weapons.

-Most "civilian" ammunition types are also actually more common in military bases than else where.  .357, .45 acp, 7.62x54, .308 and shotgun shells are all much more reliably found in places like the myshkino tents base.

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Bororm said:

I'd really like to see civilian structures more specialized.  I should seek out specific house/building types for higher chances of specific weapons, such as barns/cabins for shotguns or particular houses for certain pistols or rifles.  This is only very loosely true currently with some houses spawning guns in general more often.

I dont like the idea of knowing what to get where. I woul prefer another specialization. Maybe it would be better if you find more stuff that will fit together with the life of the resident who lived in this house. For example you find a house from a guy who liked hiking and camping so you would find stuff wich he used in his life before he became infected. Maybe so called presets. Hunter preset, Policeman preset, fireman preset, farmer preset, soldier preset etc. Something like bundles. If you loot the house of a hunter you´ll probably find more hunting clothes and equipment than a farming hoe. Huntingknive, a B95 with some rounds, hunting jacket and stuff you need to go hunting. 

I understand your wish to "buff" the civilian weapons against military weapons and I agree absolutely with you. It´s just to easy to get a high tier military gun than a civil weapon with enough rounds. But if it happens a lot more, that a gun and the fitting ammunitio spawns in the same house it would buff those civil weapons to and will makes more sense. I always thought about it like... mmmmhhhh why the guys who bought this guns have no ammunition for it in there house?

Edited by Arthur Dubrovka
  • Like 3

Guest Espas

Definitely agree this needs to be updated to allow players to use and find more civvie weaponry. . But. . The most I can say is that DayZ isn't done just yet and things aren't how they will be at launch of 1.0. 

I'm assuming the populations of Infected and Predators will be HIGHLY condensed at the NWAF and other military places, even more than the hording amount in large cities. With that said, the result would be a much harsher and scarier road if you wanted to get an assault weapon versus a civilian weapon (Military to City). All it's going to take is time, I am sure.

As for placing specific weapons in specific homes - That's a bore and you'll have people skipping the other homes because they know exactly where to go. I don't think that there need to necessarily be any of that, but I think should be more and denser places to spawn Civ Weaponry/Ammo in every city/village.

Being able to guess what you'll find in a house before you go into it goes against the spirit of DayZ. You're supposed to look hard to find things, not just run till you find the house with the higher-than-average chance of spawning your can of beans.

To clarify since people seem hung up on the concept of specific house loot, I'm not talking in guarantees.  As it stands, it is already a case that houses like the yellow/blue trimmed house have a higher chance of spawning guns than many others.  It doesn't necessarily mean you skip every other structure, but it gives you a better idea of where to look.

It makes sense from an immersive stand point that I'm going to be more likely to find a double barrel or hunting rifle in a cabin, lodge, or barn than in an apartment or market.  That doesn't mean there should be one in there every time, and it doesn't mean the apartment and market should have zero chance.  This system is already roughly in place actually, according to the devs.  You have a slight chance to even find something like an m4 in a house currently (or at least that's the goal, maybe it's not implemented yet).

The mod by nature of having fewer structures actually worked this way itself.

not just run till you find the house with the higher-than-average chance of spawning your can of beans.

To use this quote, in the mod you knew markets were going to have a higher amount of food than something like a barn.  I think that's very reasonable.

I like Arthur's idea as well.

Edited by Bororm

I havent found an m4 in months, and I go to Myshkino and NWA every day. I'm not sure people even remember this, but it used to be waaaaay easier to get military weapons and gear when Balota had a tent city and the NEAF spawned good stuff. It would be better if they spread the wealth around for a bit instead of focusing it in just a few areas. As it is now, nobody goes to the East of the map as there is nothing there. Not even Berezino see much action since it spawns so little and useless loot. I even remeber when you could have fun in Svetlatjorsk but its just soo dead now.

Other than that one of the big problems with this game is the playerbase. A LOT of people spawn, run to myshkino, PVP, respawn and repeats. Nothing else. They dont care about the survival aspect of the game or have already explored enough and got bored with it. If you sit around Zeleno and just watch you will see many ungeared players who just run through. I don't think anything can be done about this.

1 hour ago, Killawife said:

I don't think anything can be done about this.

Just shoot them.

On a serious note all these behaviors will change when the environment becomes more dangerous to traverse due to animals, weather and infected. When you can no longer sprint across the map players will be forced to loot the coastal cities before they move inland. There is going to be a fundamental shift in the way players will have to approach DayZ when vanilla is released and it will be glorious.

Currently the gameplay is almost a glorified pvp match with some pve lightly sprinkled in, when the PvE is fleshed out people will have more things to do before they can bee line their way to military bases for the phat lewtz.

@Bororm I liked it when those houses with the blue shutters on the windows had more specific spawns.  The one-room shack that many people referred to as "grandpa's shack" made sense always having a rifle or shotgun near the bed, and the larger similarly colored house, dubbed "Grandma's house" always had food in the kitchen.  It works.

@Killawife There is something that can be done about fresh spawns making a beeline for Myshkino.  More geared players can cut their journey short, and encourage them to plan a more careful journey next time.

Edited by emuthreat

Not quite sure why I'm being quoted in this thread when I've yet to post in it.... Vagaries of the current forum?

Anyway, have to disagree profoundly with the OP. I'm not a hopper, but in the past three days or so I've popped into Myshkino and NWAF maybe 8-10 times. Far fewer military weapons than there were two months ago. I think in those three days I've found two 101s and that's it - no M4s, not SVDs, no FALs. And mags and attachments were rare.

Civilian rifles are very easy to find if you visit the appropriate places. Assault rifles are not easy to find, unless you're near Tisy and like AKMs.

I do worry occasionally about threads like these being used to lobby the devs. But then I take solace in the fact that the devs actually run the CLE so know how it works.

3 hours ago, Mookie (original) said:

"......."

Crap, sorry.  I meant to shout out back to Killawife, but my brain confused your avatars at a glance because of black and white negative space usage.  I typed in your name by mistake, and I totally missed it. My bad.

I agree on the rarity of top tier guns. Even though I just found a FAL at Myshkino, it will take a few hours to get it fed and loaded.

6 hours ago, Bororm said:

To use this quote, in the mod you knew markets were going to have a higher amount of food than something like a barn.  I think that's very reasonable.

If you have ever lived through a disaster, or even through rough weather, you would realize that your idea is far from reasonable.

Whenever there is a storm warning, a heavy snowstorm, etc, stores will have the shelves wiped clean. People panic, run to the store and clean out the stock. Most stores, of almost every type, from grocery stores to gas stations, only have a couple of days of stock on them, a week at best. When that runs out, the shelves don't magically restock themselves. And that is even if the employees decide to go into work. 

Why people expect to find food in grocery stores, medicine in hospitals, and such-and-such in specific places after a civilization-ending apocalypse is beyond me. 

4 hours ago, Mookie (original) said:

Not quite sure why I'm being quoted in this thread when I've yet to post in it.... Vagaries of the current forum?

Anyway, have to disagree profoundly with the OP. I'm not a hopper, but in the past three days or so I've popped into Myshkino and NWAF maybe 8-10 times. Far fewer military weapons than there were two months ago. I think in those three days I've found two 101s and that's it - no M4s, not SVDs, no FALs. And mags and attachments were rare.

Civilian rifles are very easy to find if you visit the appropriate places. Assault rifles are not easy to find, unless you're near Tisy and like AKMs.

I do worry occasionally about threads like these being used to lobby the devs. But then I take solace in the fact that the devs actually run the CLE so know how it works.

I don't hop either and every time I hit the tents at myshkino I find some sort of assault rifle.  Every player you encounter on the coast is using an m4.  You can blame duping to a fair extent for the coast, but the m4 is far and away the most commonly used weapon in the game right now.  Finding m4 mags/ammo is incredibly common.  SVDs and FALs are a lot less common.

Civilian weapons/ammo might be easy to find inland, but then you are faced with the issue I'm addressing.  You're already there, why bother when the mil bases are just a few more minutes away?

The last few days I've spent my time on the coast, using a bow to fight people with m4s.  I haven't been killed a single time by a non assault rifle.  Every other fresh spawn, with a single exception who had a double barrel, is running around empty handed or using a confiscated assault rifle.

It's an issue, unless you think military gear should be the most common stuff on the map.

4 hours ago, Volcanogod said:

Just shoot them.

On a serious note all these behaviors will change when the environment becomes more dangerous to traverse due to animals, weather and infected. When you can no longer sprint across the map players will be forced to loot the coastal cities before they move inland. There is going to be a fundamental shift in the way players will have to approach DayZ when vanilla is released and it will be glorious.

Currently the gameplay is almost a glorified pvp match with some pve lightly sprinkled in, when the PvE is fleshed out people will have more things to do before they can bee line their way to military bases for the phat lewtz.

I very much doubt it.  All AI has been easily exploitable and I don't see that changing.  Players are always going to find the most efficient way to do things.  PVE aspects of the game have been by and large untouched for over 2 years now.  I think it's wishful thinking to expect things to change drastically.

Edited by Bororm

1 hour ago, Whyherro123 said:

If you have ever lived through a disaster, or even through rough weather, you would realize that your idea is far from reasonable.

Whenever there is a storm warning, a heavy snowstorm, etc, stores will have the shelves wiped clean. People panic, run to the store and clean out the stock. Most stores, of almost every type, from grocery stores to gas stations, only have a couple of days of stock on them, a week at best. When that runs out, the shelves don't magically restock themselves. And that is even if the employees decide to go into work. 

Why people expect to find food in grocery stores, medicine in hospitals, and such-and-such in specific places after a civilization-ending apocalypse is beyond me. 

160713123125-09-fukushima-red-zone-super

That's a supermarket in Japan in the radiation zone.  How does it feel to have zero imagination?  It could be everyone was just immediately evacuated.  There, you have a plausible scenario to make gameplay more interesting instead of just having useless buildings completely devoid of any loot.

Hilarious that you talk about magical restocking, when that is exactly the mechanic being discussed.

Then again as I recall you're the guy who argued that nail bats shouldn't be a thing because of air drag.  You're going back on ignore I think.

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Whyherro123 said:

By that logic there should be no guns at the military bases, no handcuffs in the police department, no airplane parts at the airfield etc. etc.  Everything we get in the game should be found in camps or on dead bodies, which of course would be a catch 22 since there would be no loot for people to carry or stock their camps with.

I think to balance the reward aspect of DayZ you have to suspend disbelief a bit and put loot in places that make sense.  Not a guaranteed spawn, as the OP has already clarified, but you should know where to go to have a higher chance to find certain items.

Edited by plasteek
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Bororm said:

I don't hop either and every time I hit the tents at myshkino I find some sort of assault rifle.  Every player you encounter on the coast is using an m4.  You can blame duping to a fair extent for the coast, but the m4 is far and away the most commonly used weapon in the game right now.  Finding m4 mags/ammo is incredibly common.  SVDs and FALs are a lot less common.

Civilian weapons/ammo might be easy to find inland, but then you are faced with the issue I'm addressing.  You're already there, why bother when the mil bases are just a few more minutes away?

The last few days I've spent my time on the coast, using a bow to fight people with m4s.  I haven't been killed a single time by a non assault rifle.  Every other fresh spawn, with a single exception who had a double barrel, is running around empty handed or using a confiscated assault rifle.

It's an issue, unless you think military gear should be the most common stuff on the map.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. If anything, my experience is that kitted AKMs are the most common, but it's probably unwise to generalise from a single player's experience. That said, I don't think I'm alone in experiencing gradual (but over time, pronounced) reductions in mil loot since 0.60 went to stable. Within one hour of that, I had three M4s. Now I'm lucky to see one (apart from the one on my back, obvs) if I play all day - but then I am a heavily Northwestern kinda guy. And the fact that guns haven't been spawning at crash sites for some time is worth bearing in mind.

In other news, the coast is infested with squeaky hackers IME, which as you say might have something to do with it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mookie (original) said:

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. If anything, my experience is that kitted AKMs are the most common, but it's probably unwise to generalise from a single player's experience. That said, I don't think I'm alone in experiencing gradual (but over time, pronounced) reductions in mil loot since 0.60 went to stable. Within one hour of that, I had three M4s. Now I'm lucky to see one (apart from the one on my back, obvs) if I play all day - but then I am a heavily Northwestern kinda guy. And the fact that guns haven't been spawning at crash sites for some time is worth bearing in mind.

In other news, the coast is infested with squeaky hackers IME, which as you say might have something to do with it. 

I should have generalized that my issue is with assault rifles more.  I do think m4s are the most commonly used, but the various AKs make up a chunk of it.  That was largely my point, that it is easier/quicker to sprint to a base and get any sort of assault rifle up and running than it is to find matching ammo for a civilian weapon.  I can't remember the last time I died to a non military weapon.

Out of curiosity, do you play a private hive?  You're absolutely right that at the start of the patch there was a larger number of m4s.  Again, I'm not 100% on the way the CLE works, but I believe it factors in items in barrels/tents towards global item counts.  I believe eventually less of these items spawn as players start stock piling them.

Those weapons don't spawn at heli crashes but their spawns were moved over to the mil bases according to Hicks.  It's a bit difficult to say whether that means more or less are spawning, without actual stats.

Edited by Bororm

We've been told over and over that tent and barrel inventory does not count towards the CLE min/max.  However, experience consistently seems to disprove this.

Anybody who has made a home on a particular server can begin to see the patterns within a week.  If someone were malicious enough to go and find a camp and promptly dump the contents on the ground, they would notice a conspicuous uptick in the spawn rates of the specific items that they had just scuttled.

If this is the case, then duping is responsible for making those rarer guns functionally non-existent for people who go about procuring them from their natural habitat, rather than stripping them from dishonorable cadavers.  Good thing nobody else likes the WIP FAL anymore.

23 hours ago, emuthreat said:

We've been told over and over that tent and barrel inventory does not count towards the CLE min/max.  However, experience consistently seems to disprove this.

Anybody who has made a home on a particular server can begin to see the patterns within a week.  If someone were malicious enough to go and find a camp and promptly dump the contents on the ground, they would notice a conspicuous uptick in the spawn rates of the specific items that they had just scuttled.

If this is the case, then duping is responsible for making those rarer guns functionally non-existent for people who go about procuring them from their natural habitat, rather than stripping them from dishonorable cadavers.  Good thing nobody else likes the WIP FAL anymore.

Yeah I could have sworn there was a persistence wipe this patch at one point?  Or maybe it was an older patch, but there was a very noticeable influx again of these types of weapons spawning.

14 minutes ago, Bororm said:

Yeah I could have sworn there was a persistence wipe this patch at one point?  Or maybe it was an older patch, but there was a very noticeable influx again of these types of weapons spawning.

Not necessarily a persistence wipe, but when the 45 day timer for tents cleaned up a lot of unsuspecting players' camps, it looked a whole lot like they got dumped straight back into the spawn tables.

I all-but-confirmed this on .59 when I noticed that guns were getting scarce, and switched from helicopter hunting to tracking down player camps on my home server.  It was almost a 1-1 ratio of my perception of rarity of certain guns, to the amounts of each type that I found in other peoples' camps.
We had it so locked-down at one point, that when I auto-ran off the rocks north of Pusta, a friend recovered my FAL and FNX from the next helicopter he found, about  a half hour after I died.
After weeks of very aggressive heli-hunting, we hadn't seen either gun spawn at a helicrash on that server for over a week, checking more than ten per day on average.

Edited by emuthreat
clarity, paragraphs

Thought moving the tents across the map would help the situation, was hopeful.  Nope.

Still a case of the mil bases being so much more attractive than bothering with any towns.  In fact, I find that it's even more appealing to sprint straight to a base than .60 because of the spawn changes.  Before .61, I would take western spawns and make my way either west towards zeleno or north towards pogorevka, and then move west/north.  Now the best course of action is to take a berezino spawn and run straight west through gorka to nwaf or tisy.  I'm not alone in this, the traffic on the server I've been playing around altar is ridiculous, people are constantly taking this most direct route to the NWAF.

I can get to the NWAF and find tons of cans of food in the clothing, weapons with actual ammo etc.  If I spend time looting the towns on the way (berezino, gorka, novy, even Stary) I end up with a mediocre amount of ammo and a weapon if I'm lucky.  More often than not I reach the middle of the map with no weapon at all.

I get it, the devs want people to spend an hour in every little fucken town, looting every corner of every house.  But if some one just did that before you, good luck.  I shouldn't come up on Gorka and think "this isn't worth my time" which is exactly how I feel, because I know 5 people have probably been through there in the last 30 minutes any ways.

I want to use civilian weapons, I don't want to have to spend longer finding them than it takes me to run to NWAF or Tisy and grab an m4 and mags.  Which is still the case, 5.56 is still the most common fucken ammo in the game.  Cans of food abundant in mil gear.  Military clothing has the highest capacity and best weather stats (I refuse to wear it still).  I get the last bit, it's realistic, but it makes everyone look the fucken same and boring.  There should be a shallower discrepancy.  I get hypothermic wearing hunting clothes in like 20 minutes, when I could be sitting in full gorka gear and fine.  That's boring gameplay.

It shouldn't take me longer to find a repeater or a carbine or a magnum than to run to a base and grab an assault rifle.

Also the eastern spawns are shit and don't help the situation.  Why am I going to go from a NE spawn to some where like zelenogorsk when it's quicker to hit the nwaf or tisy.  At least with western spawns you could go west then north, hitting all the shit on your way.  Who is going to go to the best shit first then go south unless you are really bored?  It's bad flow.

When are the devs gonna wake up and realize how tons of people actually play their game?  Stop trying to force behaviors and let shit progress naturally, that's what made the mod such a success.  Scarce loot becomes no loot when an area is high traffic, and with a shit respawn system we end up with a situation where all the loot is just on some corner of the map.  Go to the new base with the 100 crashed cars north of myshkino and see what I mean.

It's just so frustrating because I love the SA for so many reasons and the loot situation holds it back so much.  This isn't about easy loot, it's already easy loot.  It's about distributing and respawning loot in a way that doesn't make you feel like "why bother" when passing a major town.  Why the fuck bother spending 30 minutes there when I can be at a base in 30 minutes with all the "best" shit.

End Rant

Edited by Bororm

I agree with you Bororm. However since this game isn't finished yet the loot distribution is most likely not set yet and will change. But I'm also thinking that the way the map is currently layed out is also screwing up loot distribution. When south/southwestern spawns were in the best spawn without question was kamenka. And everyone who wanted the best gear in the shortest time would suicide until they'd get a Kamenkaspawn or close to it. That wasn't fun. I like that spawns now are limited to the east and just west of Electro however I would even limit it to only eastcoast but thats me. But like you say, now Berezino or Svetlojarsk are the goto spawnpoints. And I think these problems are not only because of loot distribution but of the map layout. Either like you say civ loot needs to be increased (not only guns/ammo mind you) and/or map changes to prevent best routes from emerging.

I hope that DayZ will end up where coastal loot is limited to farming/vehicle/storage loot so the coast is actually a place where you spend some time before you venture further inland. The further inland you go less canned foods, more wildlife to hunt, perhaps harsher weather conditions, more civ guns/ammo, more predators, more infected and when you actually get to military locations they will be swarming with infected so it becomes a real challenge to loot them. And then Tisy being the endgame military location with tons of infected, poisonous gas, gasmask/hazmat suit requirement, predators and whatever else the devs have planned for it.

It should be a really hard challenge to survive, get guns/ammo to defend yourself/your friends, build a base somewhere, protect that base, get working vehicles there without getting killed or robbed and finally getting the best loot from Tisy to your base.

Edited by Heaby

Agree, M4 mags and ammunition is very common, but 7,62x39, 308 win, 45 acp, 22 lr are very rare.  I has one container full with 30/30 mags, and other two containers full with 5.56mm ammo (but no M4  -_-)

What are you guys talking about? The popular military locations I visited are pretty barren. Also, I still have to find the M4 this patch. I do find ammo on a regular basis but what good is ammo if you can't find the gun?

I like the current loot situation but I agree, military locations should still spawn less loot. But I don't want to see civilian guns increased either. There is an Improsived Bow in the game for a reason, use that.

Also you are talking about "taking a spawn" @Bororm. But yet, you are complaining about the spawn points. Just be a man and keep your original spawn point. Even better, make sure you don't die.

And on another note, the loot is getting tweaked all the time, this isn't the final situation. This game is still in development and tweaking the loot takes time because you need to gather the data and analyze it when there were new tweaks. So expect changes (some postive, some negative) throughout the development road still ahead of us.

On 10/23/2016 at 11:21 PM, Bororm said:

Please adjust the CLE.  It's 100x easier to B-line to either mil base and grab an m4 and mags than any civilian weapons.  You can spend an hour+ looting cities to not find matching ammo/weapons or you can spend 20 minutes from a good spawn to the bases and have a working m4 or other assault rifle.

I encounter more M4s than any other weapon currently, even on the coast.

want to use double barrels, mosins, pistols and other civ weps.  Fix the CLE, it's adjustable on the fly, it doesn't interfere with development.  Tweak drop rates to spawn more civ weapons/ammo combos.

I totally agree. Less mil weapons and more civy weapons...it only makes sense!

I don´t find the #%#$# M4,  but Dayz is fun because u don`t need to be use heavy weapons to wipe a squad :D. All I need is a amphibia a lot of 22 ammo and some mags :D and a good camouflage  Today I killed many players with HS in Tisy base

i4t9tZb.jpg