scarecrow382

Plans to keep DayZ pure?

I'm kinda afraid that the modding community might ruin DayZ. I'm aware i'm in the minority here but id like DayZ to have plenty of vanilla servers that are populated.  When the modding community takes over each server running a mod will have to be private from all the rest. Soon there will be hundreds upon thousands of mods and each server running a different combination will be its own separate server.  I assume the first mods will be guns and goofy character gear however eventually mods will completely change the game like adding tanks and attack choppers etc. Do the devs have any plans to regulate mods or attempt to keep DayZ great?

Edited by scarecrow382
spelling
  • Like 5

As much as I love mods, this is my fear as well. The DayZ mod was so amazing before mods turned it into a giant TDM mess. And sure, there will always be vanilla servers, but when the game is over-saturated with modded af servers, less and less people will be playing the one true DayZ

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Zyriun said:

The DayZ mod was so amazing before mods turned it into a giant TDM mess.

Actually DayZSA IS a giant TDM mess in it's current state. If not by vanilla-changes I hope that there will at least one real hardcore survival-mod ;D

• Like 3

I really doubt that regulating mods would be feasible OR healthy for the game's community and longevity.

Since we're going to get server hosting tools to use on our own hardware (not to mention offline mode), even if the devs were able to go through every mod and inspect them before becoming available on the Workshop (if that's even a supported feature by Valve), nothing would stop modders from releasing their mods off-site for others to download and manually install on their servers.

I think what Hicks has said back in June is one of the best ways to handle the split between modding and the "pure" experience.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

13 hours ago, scarecrow382 said:

I'm kinda afraid that the modding community might ruin DayZ. I'm aware i'm in the minority here but id like DayZ to have plenty of vanilla servers that are populated.  When the modding community takes over each server running a mod will have to be private from all the rest. Soon there will be hundreds upon thousands of mods and each server running a different combination will be its own separate server.  I assume the first mods will be guns and goofy character gear however eventually mods will completely change the game like adding tanks and attack choppers etc. Do the devs have any plans to regulate mods or attempt to keep DayZ great?

While I understand this fear - I hope you understand that modding is a core pillar of what DayZ is, and we cannot deny it. While we have stated that we will use Steam Workshop, and thus can curate what mods are on the marketplace - the PC is an open platform, and even without Steam Workshop people will find a way to mod what they want. 

Trying to force people into one set way to play the title just isn't who Bohemia is. Trust me - I completely share your love for a hardcore, punishing survival experience (and it is that type of experience that gets my brain racing with ideas) - it might not be what everyone wants.
DayZ is a lot of things, to a lot of people - because of the fact that we are careful to not define one "right way" to play the game. So, at the very least - rest assured knowing that our vision for the title is one of a hardcore survival experience, and we as developers will do the best to make sure that is supported and the first experience someone has with DayZ well past 1.0.

• Like 3

I don't even understand why people complain about modding...

Variety is good, you will also have the vanilla servers with the hardcore survival experience. Modding is the beggining of Dayz (Dean began his career as an arma2 modder) , I do not understand this people complaining about this feature that is only positive for the Dayz fans.

9 minutes ago, EdStaffordZombie said:

I don't even understand why people complain about modding...

Variety is good, you will also have the vanilla servers with the hardcore survival experience. Modding is the beggining of Dayz (Dean began his career as an arma2 modder) , I do not understand this people complaining about this feature that is only positive for the Dayz fans.

Well, to be honest it is because when the server and hive dll package for DayZ mod got out there - it began the slow march towards the death of the original DayZ experience. I remember it well, hell - I even was part of the team that put out one of those mods. While the mod I worked with only sought to expand the gameplay options of DayZ mod without changing the gameplay mechanics - plenty of other mods came after it that completely erased the hardcore survival side of DayZ.

Easily found automatic weapons everywhere, selectable player spawns, protected player storage, combat free safezones, and so much more became the norm and what a lot of people define as "DayZ" - and for those of us that loved DayZ Mod for what it originally was, it meant the slow death of that vanilla population.
I've always compared it to what happened to Ultima Online once Everquest hit the market.

• Like 4

If dayz vanilla almost died it is because people do not want to play it. There is a little part of the community looking for extreme hardcore experience, I think that this is why few people still plays this kind of  servers.
For example, me and my friends have a community of survival and hardcore servers and we've opened one A3 server with superhardcore features, we failed so hard assuming that people like to have a difficult experience but we were mistaked.

The actual fact is that most of the people is looking for a funny game and the best part of Dayz is the "Im going to loose everything, I'm pissing my pants" experience, why restraining people to one type of gameplay if they are looking for other type. Dayz was created as a sandbox world in where the stories are made by players, I think it is really positive for you guys that people will use your game for creating this "weapons everywhere, safezones...etc" servers.

Well apart from my opinion I understand your point, for people like me It would be better to have a fast loot server as I have so little time to play due to work.

All you can really say is different strokes different folks. I'm sure the fears will come true I'm sure there will be 500+cars and spawn with M4 servers I personally can't wait for one reason those folks that do not want survival or the experience of vanilla can go play that garbage and leave the folks that play for survival alone to ourselves. right now you have a mixture of folks that came from epoch,origins,overpoch etc that want fast battles fast loot fixed cars when found and to be able to spawn near NWAF and you have them with the folks that want survival more so than a constant war game of rinse repeat. So the quicker we get mods the quicker we can be rid of I guess the proper words would be folks that do not have the time nor the patience to put in the time for vanilla. Not that vanilla is better than the others it's not I just want to be rid of folks that whine that the game is hard or takes to long etc give them easy mode and let's say goodbye.

I think opening the game up to the modding community would inherently be a problem - Some people will think of things that weren't created by the Devs and make it even better, or even provide a harsher environment than is previously made.

Some might want a game that is purely Death Match, and that's cool too. Options are never a bad thing. . But I do have trust in the Devs to make a Vanilla game that is bossmode. 

I think the only way to combat this in my opinion would be heavy promotion by the devs showcasing hardcore survival game-play. The community would be up in arms if they didn't get their mod tools and right now most of the current player base is the "mods or bust" group. If the devs promoted DayZ as a hardcore, gritty, scary, no nonsense survival game from here on out via commercial spots and ads then they might be able to create a influx of new players specifically looking for that to help combat the other group. In my opinion this would grow both sides of the DayZ community so when the inevitable mods do come in, the vanilla group would be so massive and so loyal to that style of game-play we wouldn't have much to worry about.  It would also help if our communities more famous players (YouTubers) would begin showing videos of long term survival and horror, struggle and comradery instead of constant 10 minute firefights. Today if your some random guy who hears the name DayZ and you go to watch videos to see what its all about all your really gonna see is KoS and firefights. If you remember when DayZ SA first came out the only video content was bandits capturing people, tying them up and torturing them. When you played the game that's all you saw players doing. Now all players do is combat. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Edited by scarecrow382
grammar and spelling etc.

On 10/11/2016 at 4:41 AM, TheHappyMile said:

Actually DayZSA IS a giant TDM mess in it's current state. If not by vanilla-changes I hope that there will at least one real hardcore survival-mod ;D

Except we don't have high powered sniper rifles, NV goggles, tanks, attack helicopters, or any of that other bullshit right now. I've also not been having an issue with players, KoS wise. I've been meeting with people who are willing to have a chat, or who've attempted to rob me, but haven't been KoS'd (Or attempted to be either) in quite awhile. The DayZMod is always going to be a favorite of mine, so I'm not trying to bash it, but it's no where near the quality of SA, nor does it have even a fraction of the potential. 

On 2016-10-12 at 5:01 PM, Zyriun said:

Except we don't have high powered sniper rifles

Ehm... SVD? VSS? :P 
Might not be what you call "high powered" irl, but in game they sure are xD
And i've been KoS'ed multiple times, but for some reason, only on american servers :P 
They just run up to me shouting "friendly", then shoots me in the face point blank.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, firsk said:

Ehm... SVD? VSS? :P 
Might not be what you call "high powered" irl, but in game they sure are xD
And i've been KoS'ed multiple times, but for some reason, only on american servers :P 
They just run up to me shouting "friendly", then shoots me in the face point blank.

I was speaking more in relation to irl, considering I've never tested the VSS, and I hadnt shot a person with the SVD.

Even still, the other things Ive listed I hope never see the light of day within DayZ.

Ironically the night I said I hadn't been KoS'd in awhile, someone attempted to KoS me. Managed to kill my pal, but I beat him to death with my axe. All things considered, from my own experiences KoS doesn't seem to be a major issue.

On 11.10.2016 at 1:49 PM, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

I really doubt that regulating mods would be feasible OR healthy for the game's community and longevity.

I second the other posters, modding might be the doom and gloom for DayZ, creating a fragmented "community". But modding has been advertised from Day One, so no chance it will be taken back now, understandably.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2016 at 3:50 PM, Noctoras said:

I second the other posters, modding might be the doom and gloom for DayZ, creating a fragmented "community". But modding has been advertised from Day One, so no chance it will be taken back now, understandably.

Ever since I've heard about modding coming, I knew it was over for the vanilla game. Most people want it easy, don't want to put time and effort into getting gear and such, and that's sad. The reason I bought the game was for a hardcore, unforgiving, survival simulation. We can just hope that there will be still some vanilla players in the end, I know I'll be one of them. Like Mr. Hicks said, look at the DayZ mod, fuck, man. Look at Arma 3, vanilla purpose is ruined. Can't find a military simulation server anywhere, not even with the ACE mod.

Edited by billnyetherussianpie
Added a sentence lmao

I gotta chime in with this ray of sunshine...and say that, HOPEFULLY, modding will also bring about ADDITIONAL hardcore survival content.

Just because we will be seeing "Batle of Elektro, ALL weapons and ammo spawned!!!" or whatever else happens on the KOS-side of things, does not mean that talented and passionate Survivor players are not willing to add to the purist experience by offering maybe even HARDER or "more survivor-y" game versions?

I know the Mod reflects what can go wrong on that side of things, but the player base that wants to remain in the realm of pure DayZ will always be populating the kinds of servers that provide just that. The dilution will more likely occur between the ranks of PVP/KOS players and some might even come into PVE or "vanilla" servers further adding to the pop!

The Devs are probably looking to add content down the road after 1.0 and why the hell would they ignore some of the great modders and their visions (especially when they have repeatedly stated their intention to fully support the community)?

If Rocket (and the impact a good mod has on the profitability of a title) was ignored back in the day then we would probably not even be having this discussion right now.

Here's hoping this dream of mine has traction, anyway!

7 hours ago, billnyetherussianpie said:

Ever since I've heard about modding coming, I knew it was over for the vanilla game. Most people want it easy, don't want to put time and effort into getting gear and such, and that's sad. The reason I bought the game was for a hardcore, unforgiving, survival simulation.

Well, yes, but there is other games out there without extensive modding. I'm pretty sure I am done with the game once the modding hype starts, but I will have had my money's worth nonetheless. I don't complain and I KNEW that modding was to come, so I have no right to complain here.

On 10/11/2016 at 9:41 AM, TheHappyMile said:

I think we will start to see this change once certain features are added/balanced accordingly.  No doubt there will be mods that make surviving even harder no matter how it is in vanilla.

• Like 1