Sign in to follow this  
Radibor78

Display own blood type in inventory screen

When I spawn multiple times or continue playing with a character after not playing some time I sometimes don't remember the blood type of the character (or whether I already tested it on this specific character). Would be nice to just display the character's blood type in e.g. the inventory screen once you used a Blood Test Kit on yourself. After testing his/her own blood the character "knows" the blood type so it would not break consistency or anything to have it displayed somewhere once it is known.

• Like 4

I honestly don't see a need for this. If you can't remember what your blood type is, you can write it down on a pen and paper on your desk, or better yet use the pen and paper in game to write it down.

That said, I'd have no problem if this were implemented, I just don't see the need personally.

"lol no." There's no need for that and plus blood test kits are common. This game tends to get as realistic as possible, and if there isn't light-blue HUD above your vision displaying your blood type, neither this game should have it.

15 hours ago, Just Caused said:

"lol no." There's no need for that and plus blood test kits are common. This game tends to get as realistic as possible, and if there isn't light-blue HUD above your vision displaying your blood type, neither this game should have it.

But my real life blood type doesn't change on daily basis, so this comparison is ridiculous. Jeez, in real life I even know my Duffy and Kell blood type and explicit Rhesus genotype coding of my blood type without carrying a piece of paper around and I don't even have any medical reason at all to care about my blood type.

Edited by Radibor78
  • Like 2

Hmm i dont even know my blood type irl. Is it something i should check up lol

(kinda sign) Maybe make it random for your steam account, set it to const!

Edited by zemos (DayZ)

20 hours ago, Just Caused said:

Not all play only one char. Some have 10+ chars. No one is talking about... "light-blue HUD above your vision displaying your blood type".

On 5.10.2016 at 11:38 AM, Radibor78 said:

Would be nice to just display the character's blood type in e.g. the inventory screen once you used a Blood Test Kit on yourself.

Yes it would... I guess this is the plan.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Radibor78 said:

But my real life blood type doesn't change on daily basis, so this comparison is ridiculous. Jeez, in real life I even know my Duffy and Kell blood type and explicit Rhesus genotype coding of my blood type without carrying a piece of paper around and I don't even have any medical reason at all to care about my blood type.

Depens on how well you play. I play almost always on 30-60 people servers, everyday and I'm still alive for 3 weeks straight, couple of near death experiences, but still survived.

16 hours ago, NoCheats said:

Not all play only one char. Some have 10+ chars. No one is talking about... "light-blue HUD above your vision displaying your blood type".

Yes it would... I guess this is the plan.

[1] Exactly.

[2] Hope so. ;)

13 hours ago, Just Caused said:

Depens on how well you play. I play almost always on 30-60 people servers, everyday and I'm still alive for 3 weeks straight, couple of near death experiences, but still survived.

It's phrasing. Doesn't matter whether you spawn once a day, once a week or once a month - doesn't change the underlying problem. And as "NoCheats" wrote, if you play on various private servers e.g. with different groups of people etc. you have multiple characters that need to be sorted out, so still no valid argument against just displaying the blood type.

Not our fault if you are too stupid to remember your blood type.

You do realize there is a note-taking function in-game, right? Grab a piece of paper, a pen, and write down your characters's blood type, then keep it in your inventory.

Problem solved.

On 5.10.2016 at 11:38 AM, Radibor78 said:

Would be nice to just display the character's blood type in e.g. the inventory screen once you used a Blood Test Kit on yourself.

^^Thats the topic...

14 hours ago, Whyherro123 said:

Thats the reason why it would not be nice? lol

You could argue that it is fun and create strange situations not knowing the bloodtipe etc. But your point does not count for me, sorry.

On 07/10/2016 at 10:30 PM, Whyherro123 said:

You do realize there is a note-taking function in-game, right? Grab a piece of paper, a pen, and write down your characters's blood type, then keep it in your inventory.

Problem solved.

Some people play on multiple servers, and thus have multiple characters. They can't necessarily remember the blood types of all of their characters. Why should you have to keep an in-game note of something your character should be able to remember anyway?

I don't see why this is such a contentious issue. You use a blood test kit, your blood type appears in the inventory screen. This doesn't create some new meta gameplay or anything like that, it just helps you to keep track of multiple characters.

• Like 1

I cant see this being a major issue. Just a little note next to your character in the inventory screen would be enough. 

To those saying you should write it down or remember the same could be said for amount of ammo left.  Why are we shown a number under each ammo pile with how many we have left?  That doesnt happen irl! Maybe we should write that down as well?

• Like 2

On 10/7/2016 at 2:30 PM, Whyherro123 said:

Problem solved.

Dude - no need to be so harsh. We're just having a conversation.

3 hours ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

Dude - no need to be so harsh. We're just having a conversation.

It isn't so much that I disagree with the topic per se, it more that it detracts from the realism/authenticity part of the game, something that has been sadly lacking for quite some time.

Having problems remembering your blood type in-game? Write it down, using the in-game notation system. Not some magical HUD indicator that pops up as soon as you click the right button. Have more than one character? Keep more than one note. Paper is everywhere.

What happened to the difficulty? The verisimilitude?

4 minutes ago, Whyherro123 said:

It isn't so much that I disagree with the topic per se, it more that it detracts from the realism/authenticity part of the game, something that has been sadly lacking for quite some time.

Having problems remembering your blood type in-game? Write it down, using the in-game notation system. Not some magical HUD indicator that pops up as soon as you click the right button. Have more than one character? Keep more than one note. Paper is everywhere.

What happened to the difficulty? The verisimilitude?

UI Elements do not safely add to the difficulty in the game.

You should never fight against understanding the UI or getting critical data from it.
The difficulty should come from the environment, and the struggles within it. Never from trying to understand or navigate the data you are provided.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

UI Elements do not safely add to the difficulty in the game.

You should never fight against understanding the UI or getting critical data from it.
The difficulty should come from the environment, and the struggles within it. Never from trying to understand or navigate the data you are provided.

Then we shall have to agree to disagree, for a lack of a better term/phrase.

The UI is perfectly clear, as it already indicates your character's blood type, as you know, whenever you use a blood test kit. Not our fault, nor should authenticity be diminished, because you can't remember it, nor write it down. It takes all of two seconds to tear a page out of a book and write down your blood type.  Throw that page into a 1AK and you are set for the life of that character.

I do the above in real life with my Scout Troop. Every scout has their blood type, allergies and medications written down on a laminated sheet of paper. Said sheet of paper doesn't leave the kit.

As for the "writing down numbers of loose ammunition" argument: Great! If you dump a bunch of loose rounds in a pocket on your pack, you shouldn't magically know how many are in there automatically, especially in the heat of combat. Pull them out and count them with the "Inspect" option. Same thing with the amount of rounds left in a magazine. No magically appearing numbers, please, instead, remember how many rounds you fire.

I would love all of the above.

5 hours ago, Whyherro123 said:

Alright then realism...

First, it's peculiar that you ignore the point BeefBacon brought up. What about playing different characters in various hives? But besides that, no adult in a situation like the one DayZ represents would need to write down his/her bloodtype to remember it as it might be crucial for their survival. So the need of writing it down on paper is unrealistic. Many people nowadays even know the blood type of themselves and their children without carrying paper around just because it is an important information and therefore remember-able. Blood type of a game character... not so much. Wring it on a paper on the desk while playing, why wasting paper for something that could be easily been done in the game.

Now to realism. Where is the realism in any of the following:

1. A piece of paper takes as much in inventory space as a can of beans?

2. Last time I checked vegetables don't grow from seed to harvest within 20 minutes.

3. You place some snare traps on an arbitrary field and some minutes later you caught a rabbit? Good luck trying that IRL.

4. You eat a can of beans and you are hungry again an hour later and starve to death a couple hours later? I don't think so.

5. You log off, don't play the game for a week and your character is still alive? I might be wrong but a human who doesn't eat or drink for a week might have a difficult time to survive.

6. You break your legs, put on an improvised splint and a few hours later you are healthy as if nothing happened?

7. You suffer a great blood loss and after you stay hydrated and energized for one or two hours your blood is completely generated? yeah, not so much

this list could go on for quite some time. The point is, 100% realism would be boring and in game information are no in any form vital for survival IRL so what's the point in forcing a player to remember an character information any person in that situation would remember anyhow. DayZ is not a game of memory as far as I see it. A game is always a compromise between realism and condensed timing for certain processes.

So I totally agree with:

5 hours ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

It would be more realistic if there is a chance you fail administering a blood bag to a person or even kill the person due to mishandling the infusion as this would not be that unlikely if someone who never did that before is trying to give someone an IV infusion rather than hiding information any person IRL would remember anyways.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Radibor78 said:

Alright then realism...

First, it's peculiar that you ignore the point BeefBacon brought up. What about playing different characters in various hives? But besides that, no adult in a situation like the one DayZ represents would need to write down his/her bloodtype to remember it as it might be crucial for their survival. So the need of writing it down on paper is unrealistic. Many people nowadays even know the blood type of themselves and their children without carrying paper around just because it is an important information and therefore remember-able. Blood type of a game character... not so much. Wring it on a paper on the desk while playing, why wasting paper for something that could be easily been done in the game.

Now to realism. Where is the realism in any of the following:

1. A piece of paper takes as much in inventory space as a can of beans?

2. Last time I checked vegetables don't grow from seed to harvest within 20 minutes.

3. You place some snare traps on an arbitrary field and some minutes later you caught a rabbit? Good luck trying that IRL.

4. You eat a can of beans and you are hungry again an hour later and starve to death a couple hours later? I don't think so.

5. You log off, don't play the game for a week and your character is still alive? I might be wrong but a human who doesn't eat or drink for a week might have a difficult time to survive.

6. You break your legs, put on an improvised splint and a few hours later you are healthy as if nothing happened?

7. You suffer a great blood loss and after you stay hydrated and energized for one or two hours your blood is completely generated? yeah, not so much

this list could go on for quite some time. The point is, 100% realism would be boring and in game information are no in any form vital for survival IRL so what's the point in forcing a player to remember an character information any person in that situation would remember anyhow. DayZ is not a game of memory as far as I see it. A game is always a compromise between realism and condensed timing for certain processes.

So I totally agree with:

It would be more realistic if there is a chance you fail administering a blood bag to a person or even kill the person due to mishandling the infusion as this would not be that unlikely if someone who never did that before is trying to give someone an IV infusion rather than hiding information any person IRL would remember anyways.

You have only 10 posts, so you might not know what my "shtick" on these forums are, nor just how many times the above topics have already been brought up, many times by me, but I'll bite.

1) Welcome to one of the many problems of using a grid inventory. There have been many suggestions to "fix" it.

2) The agriculture mechanic in the game is barely implemented, much less finished. I agree, however. I think it should take at least a week of real time to grow crops in-game. Agriculture is hard, especially preindustrial agriculture.

3) I've .......... done that in real life. I do it all the time. Now, granted, the snares in game are much more effective than real-life snares, hilariously so, but it is possible to snare rabbits. Rabbits are often "babby's furst trapped animal" in survival classes.

4) Gameplay? Accelerated time? Alpha? Regardless, in a survival situation, one where you are cold, afraid, and running everywhere (often with heavy equipment), can and will jack up your caloric requirements, meaning you need to eat more food. It is Autumn in-game, so feasibly pretty cold. Last November, on a hike through some mountains, I ate 6000+ calories in a day. About 3 cans of beans and franks, a couple of eggs, a number of slices of bread, a whole slew of snacks, and at the end of the night, multiple servings of spaghetti. Did I eat it all at once, like in Day Z? No, but I ate a comparable amount of food, and drank far more water than we are required to in-game.

5) Gameplay. Pure and simple.

6) Again, gameplay. I would prefer it if splints and morphine were heavily tweaked, if not outright removed, and we just died if we broke our legs in-game, but with the outright hilarious jankiness of the engine, that isn't really feasible at this point, nor in the appreciable future.

7) Do you know what shock is? Shock is a physiological condition, brought on by injuries, pain and blood loss, and can often result in nausea, trembling, blurred/greyscale vision, weakness, a whole slew of other symptoms, etc. Want to know how to treat shock? Stop the cause of the shock, then rest, relax, keep warm, and eat and drink.

I'll give you 3 guesses as to what that process above resembles, and the first two don't count.

We aren't literally "regenerating blood", that is just the in-game term for health and such that was a carry-over from the mod and ARMA II. When you view it from the angle of "preventing and limiting the effects of shock", it is actually pretty damn realistic.

As for the " why would you want to remember something for your character that you would know in real life"-thing, not everyone in real life knows their blood type. I don't. Many of my friends don't. It hasn't come up in everyday life enough for us to care. We probably should, but there are many things in life we should probably do that we do not.

Like with many other aspects of the game, I would in fact prefer it if blood transfusions were either 1) removed entirely. Take the average survivor off the street, and ask them if they can perform a flawless blood transfusion in situ. Chances are almost overwhelmingly no, or 2) Have a not-insignifigant chance to cause severe infections in the patient, subject to the transfusers medical skill.

13 hours ago, Whyherro123 said:

2) The agriculture mechanic in the game is barely implemented, much less finished. I agree, however. I think it should take at least a week of real time to grow crops in-game. Agriculture is hard, especially preindustrial agriculture.

Well barely implemented is not much of an argument. Although it might change in future versions it will never be realistic as you will never (however the final implementation might look like) have to wait a couple of months of real time for your crops to grow and anything below that is not even remotely realistic. But that in conjunction with:

4) Gameplay? Accelerated time? Alpha? Regardless, in a survival situation, one where you are cold, afraid, and running everywhere (often with heavy equipment), can and will jack up your caloric requirements, meaning you need to eat more food. It is Autumn in-game, so feasibly pretty cold. Last November, on a hike through some mountains, I ate 6000+ calories in a day. About 3 cans of beans and franks, a couple of eggs, a number of slices of bread, a whole slew of snacks, and at the end of the night, multiple servings of spaghetti. Did I eat it all at once, like in Day Z? No, but I ate a comparable amount of food, and drank far more water than we are required to in-game.

is in fact gameplay. Yes, accelerated time. No wound heals within an hour, no cut, no broken bone, no sprained ankle, no food poisoning nothing. To be even remotely realistic you would have make the player to wait out days to weeks or months of gameplay time within a house or something in case of severe injuries for them to heal in a realistic way. Never going to happen, as if someone plays a game for 2 hours he/she would most likely want to do something. So of course certain processes  and timings need to be accelerated - Alpha or not - just to make a game a game. Not just all at once. In DayZ you do not need to eat 3 can of beans and 4 can of spaghetti a day (24 hour gameplay) but easily in 3 hours of gameplay, so that would be 56 can of food per day. I highly doubt that someone would eat that amount. It's just there so you have to do something in the time your playing. But how to do that in game is just is indeed a different question, the point is that you need be consistent without the ruleset created in the game. It need to be similar to real life to make it interesting but will never be complete realistic on the hand because you are limited to what you can implement and on the other hand because you within these limits you need to do something when play 2 hours of the game so you e.g. increase the amount of food you need to find or you get hungry quicker than you would ever get IRL etc.

5) Gameplay. Pure and simple.

Very convenient for you. So things that are totally unrealistic are no problem as long as it fits your personal needs and on things that are not even unrealistic your argument is hardcore realism? That's sort of hypocritical isn't it? Stopping time for your character when logging of is ok, but keeping information stored that you would never forget to remind the player when he continues playing is a no go in regards to realism?

3) I've .......... done that in real life. I do it all the time. Now, granted, the snares in game are much more effective than real-life snares, hilariously so, but it is possible to snare rabbits. Rabbits are often "babby's furst trapped animal" in survival classes.

Yes and no. You did not THAT in real life, you did something similar. There are fields with lots of rabbits, where this could actually work and fields with no rabbits where you won't catch one within weeks. So you need to find trails or see rabbits from a distance to know this is a place where you could set up a trap, which would be indeed an improvement, but as you said discussion for another thread.

7) Do you know what shock is? Shock is a physiological condition, brought on by injuries, pain and blood loss, and can often result in nausea, trembling, blurred/greyscale vision, weakness, a whole slew of other symptoms, etc. Want to know how to treat shock? Stop the cause of the shock, then rest, relax, keep warm, and eat and drink.

Exactly. You just proved my point. If you would want to have to do it realistic. The player would have to stay in e.g. a house or tent for hours, not moving and REST and RELAX. But that would be quite boring to play, to enter the game and just look at the player laying in a bed for a couple of hours. What would that be good for? Realism is good as long as it increases immersion but is totally wrong and out of place if it just make gameplay a pain in the a**.

As for the " why would you want to remember something for your character that you would know in real life"-thing, not everyone in real life knows their blood type. I don't. Many of my friends don't. It hasn't come up in everyday life enough for us to care. We probably should, but there are many things in life we should probably do that we do not.

The character doesn't know it's blood type and it's not shown in inventory as long as you don't use a test kit and I'll assume neither you nor your friends live in a DayZ environment. If you would and you find out your blood type, you would certainly remember it.

Like with many other aspects of the game, I would in fact prefer it if blood transfusions were either 1) removed entirely. Take the average survivor off the street, and ask them if they can perform a flawless blood transfusion in situ. Chances are almost overwhelmingly no, or 2) Have a not-insignifigant chance to cause severe infections in the patient, subject to the transfusers medical skill.

You could remove that, but then again you need to remove other things for reasons of realism and the question arises what's left of the gameplay if you do? Would you rather have something less accurate to increase variety of things you can do in the game or a hardcore realistic game where you can do almost nothing? I'm all about making the environment and the zeds a much much tougher challenge but in a way (as e.g. the rabbit thing that you need to find the proper spots etc) that does not rely on things you write down in a notebook on your desk, just because you only play a few hours now and then, but because it requires caution and thought when you move in the environment presented by the game and that is as I understand the point that Hicks_206 was trying to make when he wrote:

22 hours ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

Well there has been proposals like creating a random background story for you new spawned character like e.g. a former medic (who would then be able to administer IV infusions properly, while other's are not), a former soldier who can operate sniper rifles properly, while others can't or a former hunter or survival trained person who is much better in finding animal tracks, setting up traps etc. and so on. I would be all for that, as that is the thing of challenging environment which make the gameplay more interesting and would create a stronger urge for players to team up without the need of turning the game into some kind of memory game or forcing you to cover your monitor with post-its holding minor information about the characters you play with.

As this thread was initially about a very specific topic which escalated a little ;) and to sum it up: My point is that there is a big difference between a) making the game challenging and b) making the gameplay challenging. I consider the issue of not displaying the blood type in your character screen once it is discovered as one of the latter (b). If you disagree on this specific topic that is your right and we don't find common ground here and after we stated our opinions we have to wait what the developers will do regarding this issue and will both have to live with it one way or the other. ;) The other topics and direction might be better discussed if there is more to say in different or new threads to keep the topics of threads clear.

Nonetheless I think we both agree on the fact that the game should be indeed more realistic to certain aspects and that it should be more challenging to just survive and that the environment and survival should be harder than it currently is even though we might disagree on certain aspects and whether specific things should be done one way or the other or be there or not be there. To be or not to be... sometimes not that easy ;)

Edited by Radibor78

I hope that we will get some form of Journal similar to that which is available in the mod.

Blood type would be updated once the blood test was taken.

5 hours ago, Radibor78 said:

-snip-

Just so you are aware, I had to reread this about three times to work out some of your meanings. English might not be your first language, and that is perfectly ok, I just want you to know that understanding this was .... difficult and reading this, unpleasant.

1) No, something being "barely implemented" is, in fact, an argument, because it is likely going to be changed and refined over the course of the alpha process. The "barely implemented as a result of Alpha" is a perfectly acceptable rationale for everything in the game, up until the game reaches Beta. Also of note: it doesn't take a "couple of months" for crops to grow in reality, more like a couple of weeks. In the environment Day Z takes place in, you can generally harvest two crops over the growing season. "One week of real time" is my concession to reality, while maintaining the actual ability to play the game. Right now, crops grow in 20 minutes. Not cool.

2) I don't know what game you are playing, but when I play Day Z, I certainly don't need to eat 3/4 cans every 3 hours. And, regardless, eating that much food is pretty realistic, for the conditions and circumstances Day Z tries to emulate.

3) I never said I agreed with your characters staying the same once you log out; in fact, I am one of the few people all for your character staying in-game. It .... well, it just isn't going to happen, not too many other people are for it.

4) You talk about snaring rabbits in-game, I bring up snaring rabbits in real life. What else do you want to talk about? I even brought up the problems I have with in-game trapping. Again, the game is in Alpha, there is time for things to be refined.

5) Yep, having to rest for even a slightly-realistic part of time in order to recover from injuries would be pretty swell. After all, Day Z is a SURVIVAL GAME. Don't want to have to do that? Don't get injured. Problem avoided, if not solved. Getting injured in a survival game should be a big deal, if not the BIGGEST DEAL. In my opinion, healing from injuries is far too easy, there isn't even close to enough infections and diseases. Day Z should be hard, it was originally conceived as an "Anti-game", in fact.

6) Yep, the "average" survivor should only be able to do things the average person should do. Want to learn how to administer an IV, or how to repair a truck? Either find a manual for it, or find someone that already knows how to do it and have them teach you. Boom, an actual use for both the books that have already been in-game for over a year (and which, to be entirely honest, have been "useless" the entire time) and for the already-confirmed soft skill system.

However, it has already pretty much been confirmed that both my preferred version (start out as a "blank slate", learn skills through reading and being taught), and your version (everyone starts out with a "profession") are not going to happen, so this whole point is moot.

Anyways, I am done here. I've been talking about these same points for 3+ years now, and, to be quite frank, I am tired of it. Enjoy your thread, and enjoy diluting the experience even further.

Mmhhhh walls of text because of a small indicator of your blood type? Na.. ok it's this discussion about realism versus game design. I think stuff like that should be "allowed". I would like to see a medical screen where I can check which leg, arm or ankle is broken. Something like in Zomboid maybe...

• Like 1