DR. IRISHMIKE

DayZ Standalone Base Building is almost here! How do you plan to use it?

I'm not sure how will I personally use the feature... In Arma mods where basebuilding is a feature I always build some form of a base, but in the end I always end up playing solo. The groups I played with disbanded sooner or later and maintaining bases and vehicles becomes simply tedious.

Nowadays, I see that in the long term 1-2 stashes of some form of container and one smallest possible vehicle is enough for a lone wolf. Everything else simply draws unneeded and uncontrollable attention.

Since I don't see any potential groups among my friends that will bank another 1k hours into DayZ as I will after release, I also don't see the need to build anything, apart from something small and lockable to park my smallest vehicle for the night.

Ergo, basebuilding is a feature I consider to be profitable only for groups. Of course, I am against any artificial measures that would prevent a lone player from building a sizable fort, should he/she wish to. 

[EDIT]

I forgot to mention one thing that puts me off - exploitable design flaws. Exile and Overpoch left a bitter taste due to the fact that hackers or glitchers can penetrate bases with relative ease. I don't know if that will be the case when DayZ hits 1.0, but it's safe to assume it will - hacks will always exist, exploits will also always exist. Another reason why "safety = concealment" and "safety =/= walls" in my book.

Edited by smoq2
  • Like 1

i have played both dayZ origins with it's "impenetrable" houses and clan fortresses, and the approach of building bases with singular parts and a plot pole from DayZ Epoch,
both had it's flaws, and that was even without the complications of sharing a hive with another server and ghosting into a base

if bases are easy to break in to, they will serve as a way of getting combat advantages, and thats the only thing they should be used as

bases to store stuff safely, for example gear and vehicles, should never be a thing, they simply can't work well in a game like DayZ

1) You can't make storage bases to well protected, they become impenetrable when defended, and attackers simply wont bother, resulting in a game like Rust oe DayZ Epoch
2) You can't make them to little protected, because then an attack during which every clan member is offline is to easy,
since you aren't actually "sleeping" in the base, realistic weak materials aren't translated well into DayZ

The only real option would be well hidden bases, but then again you have the problem of hackers being able to see where these hidden bases are
with some kind of overlay, which is very hard to detect and even harder to reasonably say "that guy hacked because he found our base", you never know, maybe he just got lucky

the length of this discussion should point towards how many aspects basebuilding, in the way the devs want to make it, has
permanent bases are just either completely useless or OP, there is almost no middle ground due to the nature of the game and people having real lifes besides DayZ
the only thing that would make weak bases for storage viable would be NPC defenders, but that goes way beyond what DayZ should be IMO

i think if the devs should concentrate on the core mechanics, zombie and playercount, performance, survival and the difficulty to survive WAY before even touching basebuilding

Edited by ZomboWTF
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, CornProducts said:

Bases are a great way for players to gather all of their loot and vehicles in one conspicuous spot. As an avid "borrower" of items, I approve.

Exactly. I think every Clan that has a base understand that guys like you are a factor. You just can't "love you loot" because it can be stolen at anytime!

My Clan is big on the idea of having secret hidden "Barrel Bases'. We have 3-4 spots that have last over a year! Some are in spots that you'd laught if I told you where because they are right under the poulations nose! We use those for quick Bambi gearing up so we can rush back to pvp and actually be a factor in battle. I would think MOST PVP clans like we are do the same, but I don't know for sure. We also have some bases further North but never place them near debug or in the Northern or western forests, because we find camps there literally everytime we take the time to search there. We have 3 spots that have been very reliable and can be defended if we are around!

Earlier in this thread I posted about how the new bases will contribute to the game's PVP and PVE experiences. We will absolutely build a large base somewhere that we can defend, and poeple will sneak in and steal stuff when we arent around, but we are around a lot! We have Americans, Lithuanians, UK folks, Canadians, and our time zones allow us to have a presence on much of the day. Looters will certainly die sneaking in to burglerize our big obvious base. As I mentioned earlier though, We will build our base knowing that time and again we will have stuff stolen. Our goal is more about building a base that we can restock the shelves anytime we have things stolen, and construct a base where it will be difficult to take loot away or take away our persistent storage containers. I think the clans that can do that will experience the best of base building, because then we can not only use it for pvp defense but also as a real base of operations. 

don't forget too, the bases will have explosive defense like grenade traps, Electric fencing, etc. It wont be as easy as just walking in folks. Nor should it be. There should be a fine line between too easy to breach and unbreachable. 

The mods too will allow for bases to take on a whole new role if you read my post about "mod missions"... that will grow into one of the most popular aspects of DayZ IMO

On 5/24/2016 at 3:03 AM, smoq2 said:

I'm not sure how will I personally use the feature... In Arma mods where basebuilding is a feature I always build some form of a base, but in the end I always end up playing solo. The groups I played with disbanded sooner or later and maintaining bases and vehicles becomes simply tedious.

Nowadays, I see that in the long term 1-2 stashes of some form of container and one smallest possible vehicle is enough for a lone wolf. Everything else simply draws unneeded and uncontrollable attention.

Since I don't see any potential groups among my friends that will bank another 1k hours into DayZ as I will after release, I also don't see the need to build anything, apart from something small and lockable to park my smallest vehicle for the night.

Ergo, basebuilding is a feature I consider to be profitable only for groups. Of course, I am against any artificial measures that would prevent a lone player from building a sizable fort, should he/she wish to. 

[EDIT]

I forgot to mention one thing that puts me off - exploitable design flaws. Exile and Overpoch left a bitter taste due to the fact that hackers or glitchers can penetrate bases with relative ease. I don't know if that will be the case when DayZ hits 1.0, but it's safe to assume it will - hacks will always exist, exploits will also always exist. Another reason why "safety = concealment" and "safety =/= walls" in my book.

I think active admins on a Private Server (More accountability and more knowledge of who the player base is) will be critical for dealing with hackers. A good Admin team can greatly reduce the impact of hackers, and server backups are frankly Very easy to do in case something really crazy happens. Any good admin checks the logs everyday and knows what to look for. Plus if the player base does a good job reporting it really helps. 

I do agree that base building most benefits Groups / Clans, but when the mods come offering missions and rewards for beating PVE or PVE / PVP missions Solo players will absolutely want to get in on that as well. Here was the types of Mod Base Missions I described: 

Could you imagine some in game scenarios like the following missions to change the pace of "Open World" PVP that DayZ is currently built around:

- In game mission to use your base to hold off a "herd" of a few hundred Zombies, or even Zombies and other Clans that are coming to not only test your PVP skills, base building decisions, but also to capture a barrel reward with some of the games best weapons and ammo. If you hold off the herd and attacking clans for a certain time length, the barrel is yours, if not, then whatever clan can breach first and capture the barrel gets the reward. The best weapons are always great bait for PVP Clans to come hunting for you! But maybe your group will not only kill them and take their loot, but you can also win the reward loot!

- Or, an in game mission to defend your base where you have captured a high ranking government official who was responsible for the virus destroying the world, and rival clans want to breach your base and capture the hostage. If a clan can captures him and get him to their base and hold him for a certain time limit, they win the event. If you hold him at your base, or recapture him for said time then you win the event. Who knows what type of reward a difficult mission like this has to offer. Maybe a map to the Heli locations in game at a certain time?

- or, an in game annoucement regarding a Heli Crash somewhere in gerneral on the map. The mission requires you or your clan to reach a given Heli Crash where a Rival Clan Prisoner has survived a Heli crash while he was being transported from Novo to Prison Island. You have to fight off both zombies and other Clans also trying to capture him and return him to your base in order to interogate him/her and win classified information about a hidden cache of weapons, food, and ammo. At that point, the clan has a time limit to reach the cache destination and carry all you can until the time limit concludes (while other clans are aggressively looking for you on the map). Note: You will have to fight through Zombies to reach him (they may kill him if you take too long) and you will have to fight through Zombies to breach the cache. Keep in mind other clans want to also drink your milkshake!

- Or, someone in your clan has brought in a barrel full of meat, lime, and seeds (and some large water storage) that seems to be attracting an unusual amount of Zombies wanting to get to it. They seem fully aware of where it is in your base and are gathering in large numbers trying to breach your base and consume it. If you defend the food successfully, its all yours, or if you defend a portion of it you keep whatever you can defend from the Zombie Army. You better have a well planned Zombie defense! Oh - and don't forget all that shooting may just catch the ear of rival clans!

- At the start of this mission, a server wide message is released letting all players know the location of your base on the map. In the middle of your base a Military Tent is spawned with assorted goodies, including Military clothing, backpacks, helmets, gloves and all the various accessories that it takes hours of looting  to find. If you can hold down the base for an hour from Rival Clans, the Military clothing and gear is yours. (Announcement actually begins 15 minutes before Tent spawns so rival Clans or players may find the base.) 

Ok - So as I said, I think the mods in particular will offer some amazing pvp and in game opportunities. These are just a few ideas off the top of my head. I know my server population is planning on being a leader in the mod community and we will hit the ground running when they become available. With a base group of 25ish small to medium clans you can imagine how much fun this could be and what types of DayZ opportunites we can create.

* If you like this "Missions discussion, there are a bunch more in the forums here: (We are hoping for folks to share more mission ideas)

Edited by IRISHMIKE

That's a good outlook to have on bases, as an avenue to increased player interaction, rather than permanent secure storage.  Every time you get robbed, it will make for the equivalent of a randomly generated "milkrun" to find a replacement for the item.
If it is a pretty regularly populated server, it could possibly create a detective mission where you runaround and interrogate everyone you can find on the server.  I hope that eventually we can engrave items, especially guns, with our own specific etchings to assist in identifying thieves by finding them in possession of your stolen items.

Edited by emuthreat
hwat

12 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

That's a good outlook to have on bases, as an avenue to increased player interaction, rather than permanent secure storage.  Every time you get robbed, it will make for the equivalent of a randomly generated "milkrun" to find a replacement for the item.
If it is a pretty regularly populated server, it could possibly create a detective mission where you runaround and interrogate everyone you can find on the server.  I hope that eventually we can engrave items, especially guns, with our own specific etchings to assist in identifying thieves by finding them in possession of your stolen items.

I'm not sure how it will all come together yet for our server in terms of Missions, but I expect to have several hundred missions for players or groups to choose from. Detective types of missions and Treasure Hunt types are very popular and it well scripted they could add tremendously to DayZ

Edit Note: It just occured to me too that it would be cool if a bandit or robber that stole loot could create a detective Mission that would "spawn" as a mission option the next few times he logged in at the same time the player who owned the loot was on. That would be pretty cool.

Edited by IRISHMIKE
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, IRISHMIKE said:

* Snip *

While all of your ideas are good, they revolve around combat. My take on bases was from a survival perspective, since that's my preferred style of play.

And from that perspective I see very little of value in having a base. 

That, and well... Quoting someone from this forum:

"If the developers rely on mods to make their product attractive, they have already failed."

Being a strong advocate of this thought I almost never include mods into my line of thinking when discussing future features.

Edited by smoq2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, smoq2 said:

While all of your ideas are good, they revolve around combat. My take on bases was from a survival perspective, since that's my preferred style of play.

And from that perspective I see very little of value in having a base. 

That, and well... Quoting someone from this forum:

"If the developers rely on mods to make their product attractive, they have already failed."

Being a strong advocate of this thought I almost never include mods into my line of thinking when discussing future features.

I agree. Building large bases doesn't make a lot of sense for a non pvp group or solo player, unless you are attracted to the Mods missions that will also enhance PVE at some point. Our Clan and some on the server are Friendly IsH, but PVP is definately our bread and butter. I do think though that bases have huge potential on a Multi Clan Server, or any that plan to implement Mods when it becomes possible. There is alot of room for DayZ to grow.

Open world DayZ is great. It's enough for me in fact just to play the game for that mode, but the extension of Group or solo Missions using other rival players / clans and hords of Zombies will put DayZ over the top!

Edited by IRISHMIKE

You know what? Fuck the survival aspect! Im making a stripper club for all the chick to hang out and and dance naked on homemade strip poles! O3O

Lol i wish....

Stolen from myself in another thread.

Coupled with the idea of cabins, and really, "basebuilding" as a whole, I really like the idea of implementing "sleeping quarters".

Now, hear me out. I would much rather not see our characters stay in-game when we log out. I have seen how it works in games that do have it, and they tend to be shit. No, instead, the "sleeping quarters" system would be a means of fostering community on a server, and give your character and base a sense of permanence and purpose, other than storing gear. Depending on the "facilities" you have in the location you log out in, next time you log back in after a decent amount of time, ( I like 6+ hours, so you log out at midnight and log back in at 8am in real time) you get a bonus to health and to stamina regen. For example, you "sleep" (read: log out) in the woods, on the ground, and you log in with your hunger/hydration/energy bar empty (not negative, but empty), and your stamina starts out low. "Sleep" in gradually better conditions ( spreading boughs/leaves beneath you in a shelter, use a sleeping bag, or sleep on a mattress), and when you spawn in, you spawn back in with gradually-increased hunger/hydration/energy bars, to represent you getting more of a restful sleep.

Being under cover (inside a tent/shelter, or inside a building) and increasing the temperature (building a fire) would also lead to greater levels of comfort. 

This wouldn't exactly punish players that don't want to build a base (asides from starting out neutral, energy/food/water-wise, but those are easy enough to fix), but it would give someone a reason to want to build a base, or even just a lean-to in the woods. 

Now, of course, "going to sleep" when starving or dying of dehydration won't fix anything, the character would have to be, at most, stat-neutral for all this to work. 

-ground: starts out stat-neutral

-"improvised bed" - piles of boughs/leaves: dark green food and water

-sleeping bag : light green food and water

-Mattress: light green food and water, dark green energized.

Just as a little nod to realism.

So, the above idea would be a fix to the "bases are only for storing gear" shtick. You would actually have a reason to carry a sleeping bag in your backpack, and to stash one in your tent. Or, to build a base and set aside a building/room for storing some mattresses or something. Not just the current "throw guns'n'gear all over the ground".

• Like 2

Wow! This topic has over 1,300 views and some really amazing ideas for bases. I'm still thinknig over a lot of the ideas shared here, but have to admit that while Bases will be great for storing and stealing loot, I love how it could lead to saome really fun homefield advantage in Clan PVP. 

My most anticipated aspect of bases though will be the mods / Base Missions. The sky is the limit!

On 5/22/2016 at 3:28 PM, Deathlove said:

I also think spending tones of time on a base just for it to suddenly disappear after a certain amount of time to be absurd. Why waste time on something your building that wont last for years on end? It would be like building a house in real life to live in just to have it vanish in a few days without any reason lol. I can understand the point of wanting to keep the map clutter free but your really destroying the bounds of a survival simulator when your bases vanish in a matter of days from no activity.

Yep. Sometimes real life becomes busier and you end up not playing DayZ for a while. So, I wouldn't want to come back after a week or so and find my base has simply vanished. I can understand if someone breaks in and loots my base. But, I don't think the base should disappear. But, I could also see my base being looted and then taken over. Where I would have to take it back by changing locks. I like the idea of creating combination locks for entrances, etc. But, of course, locks can be cut if bolt cutters are introduced into the game. The possibilities are endless.

• Like 2

u are right, disappearing bases are not really cool, but i think it needs to expire and limited through server restrictions...otherwise server performance will drop into cellar after some weeks/months uptime.

i think bases could only be maintenced by a group of players, so that not everybody is able to have a base. let us be satisfied with the tents and other containers when building up our little camp.

anyway a base wouldnt last long, if only one person is protecting it. so team up if u want a base and the exciting hours/days of guarding it.

• Like 1

Base building in .60 has been going well on DayZ =FactionZ=.... I have noticed that the new patch doesn't allow for some of the barrel locations that .59 did, which is a good thing!

Base building, i hope works but i have my doubts. It will be grief-ed unless we can be online to protect it.

By the time you go around getting all the pieces you may have been already hijacked by a small group of players.

Clan bases will be good, as long as they are online to defend them.

So i am not to sure i really care about it.

On 6/26/2016 at 6:23 PM, sneakydude said:

Base building, i hope works but i have my doubts. It will be grief-ed unless we can be online to protect it.

By the time you go around getting all the pieces you may have been already hijacked by a small group of players.

Clan bases will be good, as long as they are online to defend them.

So i am not to sure i really care about it.

My Clans view on Base Building is that the base is what will be ultimately the "important item" and not so much the loot inside it. We expect to get looted there, but will look for inovative ways to keep things hidden as best we can. Ultimately the base itself is the real treasure, and creating a defendable base is of prime importance. Not to mention that from time to time we will catch looters in base and that will lead to some fun as well.

Edited by IRISHMIKE

Will be cool, but almost pointless until the number of players per server goes up, if that ever happens.

On 5/22/2016 at 1:32 PM, IRISHMIKE said:

-snip-

=Fish=Irish

Wait a minute.....

Brother? Is that you? o.O

13 hours ago, lrishjake said:

Wait a minute.....

Brother? Is that you? o.O

Hello IrishJake! Great to meet you sir! 

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 4:54 PM, Deathlove said:

Im kind of mixed on this. At certain lvls i like this if its done properly however i can also see this as nothing more than an excuse for only specific ppl to take control of entire maps and pretty much troll everyone else with horded resources.

Was thinkin the same DL. It would make great territory wars with other clans on private servers.

4 or so clans, all fighting for base rights, taking over multi locations... Would be loads of fun if we had enough people.

On 7/4/2016 at 11:58 AM, sneakydude said:

Was thinkin the same DL. It would make great territory wars with other clans on private servers.

4 or so clans, all fighting for base rights, taking over multi locations... Would be loads of fun if we had enough people.

I agree completely. Bases will be a must for medium to large sized Clans

Edited by IRISHMIKE

I noticed the NWAF has a bunch of Base Building materials laying around in industrial. Metal Sheets, Wood piles, Wooden Palets, etc. Looks like that will be one of the gathering spots. The same is true of some of the Car Junkyards near the sobers and Svetlo

25 minutes ago, IRISHMIKE said:

I noticed the NWAF has a bunch of Base Building materials laying around in industrial. Metal Sheets, Wood piles, Wooden Palets, etc. Looks like that will be one of the gathering spots. The same is true of some of the Car Junkyards near the sobers and Svetlo

There is stuff like that EVERYWHERE in the game, man. Those pallets of wood, bricks, sheeting and chunks of concrete have been there for at least 2 years.

Now, while they certainly would be useful for basebuilding, and the "logical" thing to implement, I have a sinking feeling that the devs won't.