thefriendlydutchman

Modding should get regulated

so I think allot of people think just like me that modding will ruin the game, spawning servers like ''3000+ cars in every town'' or servers that add 500 extra military rifles with nightvision scopes etc.

this is why I think modding should be regulated to maps and clothing only, and when your map is done, you can send it to the developers and if they like the mod, they will put it in the workshop

which other players can download from.

• Like 1

as a modding fan here i dont want modding for this game just cause extra military rifles or cars. i came this game from arma 3 and ive seen enough "military" and "car" stuff. in arma 3 you're a killing machine with wide range of weapons, without humanly needs. in dayz you're a human being trying to survive.

i play this game for its "civilian" and "survival" feeling. i dont even try to find military gear loot, im ok with my taloon backpack and black hoodie most times.

i only want this game to be modded because i dont want to play this game on multiplayer, because when multiplayer i cant roleplay. sure this game is about "player interaction" etc.. but most times player interaction in dayz means getting shot in the back. because of that i feel like im playing counter strike, i dont care what my character needs. instead, i rush weapons and try to kill first person i see, until i starve to death ...

im dreaming about this game when workshop support begins there will be single player modes where you can play on your own. sure, there will be servers like you said but still, there will be unmodded servers running the base game, which you can play if you want.

Edited by jazzraill
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, jazzraill said:

as a modding fan here i dont want modding for this game just cause extra military rifles or cars. i came this game from arma 3 and ive seen enough "military" and "car" stuff. in arma 3 you're a killing machine with wide range of weapons, without humanly needs. in dayz you're a human being trying to survive.

i play this game for its "civilian" and "survival" feeling. i dont even try to find military gear loot, im ok with my taloon backpack and black hoodie most times.

i only want this game to be modded because i dont want to play this game on multiplayer, because when multiplayer i cant roleplay. sure this game is about "player interaction" etc.. but most times player interaction in dayz means getting shot in the back. because of that i feel like im playing counter strike, i dont care what my character needs. instead, i rush weapons and try to kill first person i see, until i starve to death ...

im dreaming about this game when workshop support begins there will be single player modes where you can play on your own. sure, there will be servers like you said but still, there will be unmodded servers running the base game, which you can play if you want.

unmodded servers went extinct in the mod, what they nowadays call ''vanilla mod'' are servers with added buildings, cars and being able to choose your spawnpoint, so why wouldnt this happen to SA, I dont mind modding in singleplayer though, just not in multiplayer

1 hour ago, thefriendlydutchman said:

so I think allot of people think just like me that modding will ruin the game, spawning servers like ''3000+ cars in every town'' or servers that add 500 extra military rifles with nightvision scopes etc.

this is why I think modding should be regulated to maps and clothing only, and when your map is done, you can send it to the developers and if they like the mod, they will put it in the workshop

which other players can download from.

Of course modding may also mean some versions of the game gets MUCH MORE survival oriented with almost no fire arms and ammo since most likely version 1.0 will try to cater to both PVE and PVP and that balance may make both play styles flawed.

• Like 1

The "original" DayZ was a mod, so why should modding ruin the standalone version? There will be a new section for modded servers in the server browser tho

Edited by .freaK
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jazzraill said:

-snip- i dont care what my character needs. instead, i rush weapons and try to kill first person i see, until i starve to death ...

-snip-

Playing this way is ALWAYS up to you.

No one made you play this way except you allowed yourself to be influenced without adapting to make the game play more the way you desired.

There are private servers, and some 1PP servers, that attract more survival and RP players.

You and I have not played anything like 1.0 so trying to project how things play now onto how they will play 6 months from now is completely pointless.

I am greatly looking forward to ALL of these changes which will make Vanilla DayZ more of a survival game and less of a GearZ of DoodieZ.

1 player DayZ might be cool for some reasons but if I want 1 player survival horror I would personally rather just play Resident Evil....

1 hour ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

I am greatly looking forward to ALL of these changes which will make Vanilla DayZ more of a survival game and less of a GearZ of DoodieZ.

same here. last weekend i had plenty of free time and i played dayz in one of the empty servers. i fight zombies, make campfire, catch fish and cook etc... did many of the survival things and actually i enjoyed it.  i was roleplaying a lone survivor and it was enjoyable because of the open world sandbox thing of dayz. but when i hop into 50 player server all that magic is gone because i just feel that only point is killing as many as you can. 
the reason im for single player mode is that players would still be able to roleplay, while performing their heroics on other survivor ais, or just train for pvp matches. 

4 hours ago, .freaK said:

The "original" DayZ was a mod, so why should modding ruin the standalone version? There will be a new section for modded servers in the server browser tho

the original DayZ mod was ruined by modding the mod, whats your point

7 hours ago, nl said:

Of course modding may also mean some versions of the game gets MUCH MORE survival oriented with almost no fire arms and ammo since most likely version 1.0 will try to cater to both PVE and PVP and that balance may make both play styles flawed.

I suppose that could be the case, but can you understand that I feel sceptical about that because if we take DayZ Mod as a Stichpröbe/example or Arma 3 for that matter than this wont be the case :/ 

6 hours ago, thefriendlydutchman said:

The point is that DayZ was a mod of Arma 2. What if BI had decided Arma 2 should have limited modding? Perhaps there will be a DayZ mod that creates a whole new subgenre of game. It's not terribly likely, but limiting modding in a game that came about as a direct result of the mod community seems wrong to me.

I can see where you're coming from. I'm hoping that we don't see modding until, at the very least, DayZ at its core is finished, and they're effectively just bugfixing. If they release modding when DayZ is as unfinished as it is now, vanilla will disappear before it gets a foot in the door.

Some mods will be silly. They'll feature tanks and helicopter gunships - and that, I think, is what you're afraid of. Don't forget, however, that there will also be a lot of incredible mods; perhaps mods that are even more survival-focused than the base game, or mods that simply expand on vanilla with new weapons, clothing and locations.

Vanilla will eventually fall to the wayside. I'm hoping that it sticks around long enough to influence the mod community, and the community as a whole, to keep the original focus - survival - and build upon it with different ideas and themes rather than going the F-22 and Thermal AS50 route.

I personally think that a Fallout or a STALKER-themed mod would be amazing (I've said that many times, hopefully it'll influence modders on a subconscious level). It could be silly, or it could go super survival mode. I guess we'll see, but heavy restrictions on modding isn't the answer to making sure people make the 'right' mods.

Edited by BeefBacon
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, thefriendlydutchman said:

"I always see people saying modding will ruin standalone "like it did the mod".

Ruined? Ruined for who? The 1% of "hardcore" fans? Last time I checked there were like 3,000 Overwatch/Epoch servers whereas the vanilla servers could be counted on my fingers."

• Like 2

Epoch/Ovewatch..?    in my view ..still limited.. limited.. not really attracting the masses we want ..Those two - and OverPoch -  fell between the stools of
- loosing the integrity of the original (off the wall crazy, bent, but real) while it was being massacred by hackers and
- then not handing out the easy non-stop kicks promised to the bulk fun-player gamer market 
[" bloated armory and intense non-stop PvP, & throws in base building and trading .." quote from OverPoch website]

so let's be real:
When do we get the  DayZ GTA mod ?  that will pull for sure .

(and scrap all this boring crap about reloading - unlimited ammo is the way to bring in unlimited players)

xx

• Like 1

I will remove all firearms.
Just melee, crafted and the crossbow.

No added vehicles.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, .freaK said:

the "original" DayZ mod was a work of Genius

-  in the whole history of gaming that has happened perhaps 3 times total..    Everything else is just "mods that some people more or less like, or not so much, or some like them because no one else does, or they're actually great but boring, or just maybe - or kind of half-maybe, ok I like it because i made it myself, or you can act really zany or keen-pown-KoS for about a dozen days (if there's really nothing better to do) perhaps for laffs, whatever, or they're dumb, or just tryouts."  Count on your fingers how many mods took off like the DayZ Mod.

as everybody knows

= = =    = = =   = = =

But (as OP kind of mentions) maps on a private hive:  - Two servers sharing one hive, and one of them having the standard DayZ map, and the other having a completely different 'modded' map could be really interesting for the players on that hive.

Probably BI might take the view that you are either 'vanilla' or 'mod' but not a mixture; Still - two or three different maps on connected servers on one private hive, and the rest of the game all-standard-vanilla DayZ SA .. that would be Interesting, wouldn't it?

Edited by pilgrim*
cheaper than doing another post

2 hours ago, boneboys said:

I will remove all firearms.
Just melee, crafted and the crossbow.

No added vehicles.

Crossbows? Them newfangled contraptions? During bow season?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, -Gews- said:

Crossbows? Them newfangled contraptions? During bow season?

Exactly.
And the Pope himself banned crossbows as being evil modern cruel barbaric technological warfare (arms of mass destruction)  back in 1169 CE already  - and how right he was.

Edited by pilgrim*

11 hours ago, -Gews- said:

"I always see people saying modding will ruin standalone "like it did the mod".

Ruined? Ruined for who? The 1% of "hardcore" fans? Last time I checked there were like 3,000 Overwatch/Epoch servers whereas the vanilla servers could be counted on my fingers."

Ruined as in its supposed to be a survival game, thats what it is meant to be because thats what the devs want it to be

Hello there

The devs (BI) have always hugely supported mods.

Modding will let the end users make the game be what *they* want it to be.

Im *not* a fan of the "max loot +10000 cars!!1!" servers either, nor am I a fan of Arma life servers, but others are and should be allowed to playe those mods if they wish.

If BI had your POV, OP then DAYZ would never have existed.

The solution to your issue though will be the new server browser where its easy to find severs that suit you. This wasnt easy in the Mod/A2.

The only kind of overseeing  DAYZ mods need is to ensure they dont contain any way to cheat/exploit.

Rdgs

LoK

• Like 2

In my mod, I had planned to have 3000+ cars in every city and remove bandages entirely. For balance.

I really don't get why modding should ruin the game, its the opposide it makes the game a lot better and if you don't like it, you can still play vanilla dayz. What would be Arma without modding? And have you ever played dayz Origins or Epoch? This mods were just awesome and still today people play them. The possibility of modding makes a game in so many ways better cause there are so many different possibilities. I think DayZ wouldn'd be that famous if there weren't modded versions.

7 hours ago, [Chriss] said:

I really don't get why modding should ruin the game, its the opposide it makes the game a lot better and if you don't like it, you can still play vanilla dayz. What would be Arma without modding? And have you ever played dayz Origins or Epoch? This mods were just awesome and still today people play them. The possibility of modding makes a game in so many ways better cause there are so many different possibilities. I think DayZ wouldn'd be that famous if there weren't modded versions.

you really think im going to mention Epoch and saying its bad without playing it? DayZ is supposed to be a survival game, Epoch is just a wasteland with 4 aks in every building..