Guest Rob Zombie

Shooter or survival?

1 hour ago, ColdAtrophy said:

My promise to everyone in this thread and everyone out there who reads these posts and also wishes for a more survival oriented game is this:

If BI can't or won't make it happen, I WILL. It will not be difficult to create more survival oriented gameplay through tweaking numbers. When it comes right down to it, we are talking about number of guns (numbers), amount of food (numbers), temperature (numbers), likelihood of fighting disease (numbers), scarcity of game (numbers). Assuming they get the infected AI and spawning system under control, zombies too are another matter of numbers. Do not lose hope for the kind of game you guys all signed up for when you purchased the game. The fact is, BI is giving us all the tools we need to really satisfy every niche.

I appreciate that, yet I am afraid that given the already shrinking number of active players, that by the time modding comes in the community might splinter in really small sub groups and the game actually die. And adding 10 new guns will not really bring players back. I am not sure that free modding will mean better times ahead :(

Just now, Noctoras said:

I appreciate that, yet I am afraid that given the already shrinking number of active players, that by the time modding comes in the community might splinter in really small sub groups and the game actually die. And adding 10 new guns will not really bring players back. I am not sure that free modding will mean better times ahead :(

You're right. It's a legitimate fear. I can't offer any words of comfort. It very well could happen. All I can say is that, for me, 10 or 20 heavily armed players with a 30:1 infected to player ratio on a server will accomplish what I want from the game. I don't need 100 other players at all times to get the experience. I just need to have enough players on the server to make me constantly vigilant.

• Like 1

I guess we will just have to wait, hope and see. It's just the fact that the potential of this game was outstanding. If we had a decent melee fighting system not everyone would need 3 guns all the time. There is also so much potential wasted with the zeds. The illness system also has a lot of potential, which is barely touched, same goes for other survival aspects. I hope your hopes come true and enough of the community stays with the game to make survival mods of this game a success.

For the vanilla game I have given up hope. (the announcements of a helicopter and even more guns were things still to copy and paste from arma, yet nothing that makes this game a good survival experience).

Thanks for keeping our hopes up, ColdAtrophy!

• Like 1

Dude. No problem. Just fyi, I was perusing the disease system in the pbo's a little while back. There are like 10 diseases and illnesses that have never yet been activated. Bohemia still has cards up its' collective sleeve. It's not yet time to tear our clothes and weep. ;)

• Like 1

So... you're upset that they added more weapons? (Im assuming this is the issue?)

Let me sort this out for you (assuming my assumption is correct, I hope this helps):

More weapon variety does not equal more pvp/kos/shooter aspects. If you only have 2 choices, versus 300 choices, its still the same result in the end if getting a working weapon has no bearing on how many types exist. But see, in dayz variety is key to you wanting what you want. By adding in more types of weapons, they diversify the loot economy, adding more types of ammo, magazines and weapons means it takes more effort to find the right ammo, etc. to get that gun you may have just found to be a viable tool of death/survival. Versus if they are only a few types, and you find them all over. So, with variety comes depth. That depth translates into more options for all. 

Now, one step further is this.. even if they take weapons out. You need weapons to hunt animals, right?

So.. there you have it. Even if its crossbows and spears, or a simple rock knife.. players will kill other players for what they have, the danger they present, or the entertainment value desired. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColdAtrophy said:

Dying Light?

And this is a bad thing? If you haven't played the game recently i suggest you try it out especially with the new expansion out. Hard and Nightmare mode are no joke there is some crazy survival elements you have to overcome. Shooting a gun is a death sentence especially in Nightmare. The infected in these modes are terrifying and go both with the Romero and 28 Days latter blend to what allot of ppl would like to see in Dayz eventually. Arcady or not that game is holding up REALLY REALLY good as a survival game even though you don't have to eat or sleep as a priority.

You also forgot to mention 7 Days To Die which infact is taking survival rather seriously on a few different fronts. Allot of survival elements are starting to pop up since the last major engine change. Its not perfect but the game is treking along rather nicely to what its supposed to be developing into.

I do hope Dayz becomes what its supposed to but at the moment i see no problem with other "better survival games" to tide me over till this ether is realized or fails flat on its face arcady or not. The Solus Project early access has just started up to. So ill be checking that up in the following week.

I guess what im trying to say is don't hold some of these games you listed as a low standard survival substitute to try and make a point because some of them are really turning out nice.

9 minutes ago, Deathlove said:

And this is a bad thing? If you haven't played the game recently i suggest you try it out especially with the new expansion out. Hard and Nightmare mode are no joke there is some crazy survival elements you have to overcome. Shooting a gun is a death sentence especially in Nightmare. The infected in these modes are terrifying and go both with the Romero and 28 Days latter blend to what allot of ppl would like to see in Dayz eventually. Arcady or not that game is holding up REALLY REALLY good as a survival game even though you don't have to eat or sleep as a priority.

You also forgot to mention 7 Days To Die which infact is taking survival rather seriously on a few different fronts. Allot of survival elements are starting to pop up since the last major engine change. Its not perfect but the game is treking along rather nicely to what its supposed to be developing into.

I do hope Dayz becomes what its supposed to but at the moment i see no problem with other "better survival games" to tide me over till this ether is realized or fails flat on its face arcady or not. The Solus Project early access has just started up to. So ill be checking that up in the following week.

I guess what im trying to say is don't hold some of these games you listed as a low standard survival substitute to try and make a point because some of them are really turning out nice.

No. You missed my point entirely. Dying Light is actually a kickass game. I love it. But is Dying Light a zombie apocalypse sim? Is it even remotely close to sim-level gameplay? Dying Light is not what I would call a survival game either. It has none of the typical elements of survival-centric games.

I didn't forget to mention anything. I just can't keep up with the flood of games attempting to ride DayZ's success to the bank. I don't do Early Access as a general rule and for very good reasons. It's "Preordering: Yes It Can Get Worse".

I'm not holding any of those titles as lower standard substitutes (except for H1Z1, what a crock of shit that thing is), I'm saying they are not, cannot be, and do not aspire to be what DayZ is or has the potential to become. It's like you got annoyed at my mention of Dying Light, which was a misinterpretation anyway, and missed the rest of what I said. That's not cool.

Edited by ColdAtrophy

1 minute ago, ColdAtrophy said:

Is Dying Light a zombie apocalypse sim? Is it even remotely close to sim-level gameplay?

Yes with some acrady elements but it does achieve it to a certain degree better than Dayz. Not to mention a much more robust melee system.

2 minutes ago, ColdAtrophy said:

I'm saying they are not, cannot be, and do not aspire to be what DayZ is or has the potential to become.

Actually Dying Lights already achieved what Dayz currently has not and that is threatening infected. My mind will change when and if i see this happening with Dayz. In no way will i think otherwise of Dayz till i actually physically see it with my own eyes while playing.

• Like 1

Just now, Deathlove said:

Yes with some acrady elements but it does achieve it to a certain degree better than Dayz. Not to mention a much more robust melee system.

Actually Dying Lights already achieved what Dayz currently has not and that is threatening infected. My mind will change when and if i see this happening with Dayz. In no way will i think otherwise of Dayz till i actually physically see it with my own eyes while playing.

You answered the following question "Is Dying Light a zombie apocalypse sim?" with the word "Yes". This is such a fundamental disagreement on the core of what differentiates one game from another that I don't know where to begin. No offense, but it is what it is. If Dying Light is a survival game, then so is Left 4 Dead. Fuck it, so is Super Mario. Hell, Super Mario at least has limited lives.

• Like 1

Just now, ColdAtrophy said:

You answered the following question "Is Dying Light a zombie apocalypse sim?" with the word "Yes". This is such a fundamental disagreement on the core of what differentiates one game from another that I don't know where to begin. No offense, but it is what it is. If Dying Light is a survival game, then so is Left 4 Dead. Fuck it, so is Super Mario. Hell, Super Mario at least has limited lives.

To me all i really care about is good zombies man. If it doesn't have good zombies than the game just falls flat with me.

A Super Mario Survival sim would be hilarious!

• Like 1

Just now, Deathlove said:

To me all i really care about is good zombies man. If it doesn't have good zombies than the game just falls flat with me.

A Super Mario Survival sim would be hilarious!

Believe me, you are preaching to the choir. All I've ever needed was a moderate amount of other players who are unpredictable, solid survival mechanics that reflect authenticity to the scenario, and a butt ton of infected. We haven't actually fully achieved any of that yet. A lot of the survival stuff is not really active atm, most everyone just shoots immediately which is highly predictable, and the infected just aren't ready yet. We will get there.

1 hour ago, lrishjake said:

So... you're upset that they added more weapons? (Im assuming this is the issue?)

Errr .... not me and I guess noone else in this thread. It's not about the content which is implemented, but the content the game lacks currently.  Which is why I for my part leave the rest unanswered.

2 hours ago, ColdAtrophy said:

-snip- came to me a little while back: no one has ever actually played DayZ. -snip-

Der, came to you because I said it?

Have I become the little voice in your head?  :/

I don't really care if they add more guns and such, as long as they serve a purpose other than for pvp and pve. An example of this would be rocket launchers and light machine guns being used as a way to attack and defend bases and to take down vehicles. But other than that they need to add more crafted weapons.  

Edited by thedoctorlome1

Don't really care for more weapons, would love more zeds and more survival content first. That's my beef with this neverending addition of weapons, not the introduction of weapons themselves. The average Chernorussian probably eats a weapon and drinks bullets for survival. (i.e. the addition of yet another bunch of weapon appears pretty pointless, if there are so many useful things one could implement first)

I agree with more emphasis on the melee weapon system, though.

Oh, don't get me wrong — I'm definitely one of DayZ's biggest proponents — I want it to succeed. It says as much in my profile. ;^)

I'm sure between Bohemia Interactive and the active community of modders out there that we'll eventually get what we all want: a grueling, visceral survival experience that pits every aspect of the game against us, from other players to the environment itself. There are a shitload of games out there that have tried (and succeeded) in plagiarizing DayZ Mod, and that's great. But no other game has actually made it ridicu-fucking-lously difficult to survive. That's what I am hoping for.

• Like 5

It would be cool and fun to see suddenly Rocket appearing in the modding scene and make "Rocket difficulty" mod :P Though I believe someone will do that at some point. I guess Rocket himself is way too busy to make something like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Der, came to you because I said it?

Have I become the little voice in your head?  :/

Yes and no. I added onto your idea to include all of the mod too, but sure, if you want to take credit and it's that important to you, then go for it. I think it's pretty irrelevant.

Edited by ColdAtrophy

7 minutes ago, ColdAtrophy said:

Yes and no. I added onto your idea to include all of the mod too, but sure, if you want to take credit and it's that important to you, then go for it. 

-_-

sPZESMJ.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder how long it was before Sacriel came around and "discovered" this bug that you posted that in Experimental.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ColdAtrophy said:

I wonder how long it was before Sacriel came around and "discovered" this bug that you posted that in Experimental.

We may never know....

A game can be both a shooter and a survival game. These are not exclusive to one another. 

Guest Rob Zombie
18 minutes ago, Rags (DayZ) said:

A game can be both a shooter and a survival game. These are not exclusive to one another. 

No doubt...but since I can remember (there may have been one to two patches maybe a year ago that loot was scar, its been strictly a shooter with a few inconvenient zombies.  Put it this way...my character is usually stuffed with food/water within 10 mins of joining any server and I'm usually packing a glock/cz by then.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Guest said:

Interesting, I've not seen that status in so long I presumed it was deactivated.  Do you happen to remember how you became sick?

That character had been shot up and near death several times. 

But the sickness came on after taking some pistol rounds to the arm in kamy. 

Headed up into the wilderness to rest and recoup when the sickness hit like a freight train. 

Thought I could drink it away(solves almost any problem in the real world haha), but I could puke my brains out and still remain sick. 

Twas fun. 

10 hours ago, ColdAtrophy said:

My promise to everyone in this thread and everyone out there who reads these posts and also wishes for a more survival oriented game is this:

If BI can't or won't make it happen, I WILL. It will not be difficult to create more survival oriented gameplay through tweaking numbers. When it comes right down to it, we are talking about number of guns (numbers), amount of food (numbers), temperature (numbers), likelihood of fighting disease (numbers), scarcity of game (numbers). Assuming they get the infected AI and spawning system under control, zombies too are another matter of numbers. Do not lose hope for the kind of game you guys all signed up for when you purchased the game. The fact is, BI is giving us all the tools we need to really satisfy every niche.

And I will be right there with you . Creating the most hard core survivalist map this game/mod has ever seen.