Heatofbattle

New Renderer

So I believe it was promised Quarter 1 2015. 

Q1 2015
  • Basic vehicles
  • Advanced loot distribution
  • New renderer
  • New Zombie AI
  • Basic stealth system (zombies and animals)
  • Diseases
  • Improved cooking and horticulture
  • Advanced anti-hack system (Dynamic BattlEye)
Q2 2015
  • Advanced vehicles (repair and modifications)
  • Advanced animals (life cycle, group behavior)
  • Player statistics
  • New UI
  • Player stamina
  • Dynamic events
  • World containers
  • New physics system
Q3 2015
  • Traps
  • Barricading
  • Character life span + soft skills
  • Animal predators + birds
  • Aerial transport
  • Console prototype
  • Advanced communication
Q4 2015
  • Animal companions
  • Steam community integration
  • Construction (base building)
  • Beta version, expected price €34.99 / $43.99.

Well, Good Job lol, little of this is in, and what is in isn't remotely close to on time.

Please give us realistic expectations.

Yeah it's an alpha and all that, but when I upgrade my computer to i7 4770k, 980ti, and much more I'd expect slightly better performance in cities by this point. guess not lol.

And the renderer not being in is the killer for me. I think a lot rests on it, and if it's not a priority there is serious communication issues

And don't give me the "its already in" argument, there have been small changes but nothing game-changing and fps and performance getting worse not better.

I've played Dayz mod since december 2013 and standalone since october 2014, and performance has always been a HUGE issue. They've had close to 3 years to figure it out, guess i'll come back in 2017, maybe population will go from 5000 up by then.

Still 3.3 million and only 5000, again, unrealistic expectations that were only helped by devs as shown above.

• Like 3

You lack patience and perspective.

You have earned this.

Please DO come back in 2017.

• Like 3

Q1 2015

• Basic vehicles
  • New renderer
  • New Zombie AI
  • Diseases
Q2 2015
  • Advanced vehicles (repair and modifications)
  • Player statistics
  • New UI
  • Player stamina
  • Dynamic events
  • World containers
  • New physics system
Q3 2015
  • Traps
  • Barricading
  • Aerial transport
  • Console prototype
  • Advanced communication
Q4 2015
  • Animal companions
Well, Good Job lol, little of this is in, and what is in isn't remotely close to on time.

Yeah it's an alpha and all that, but when I upgrade my computer to i7 4770k, 980ti, and much more I'd expect slightly better performance in cities by this point. guess not lol.

And the renderer not being in is the killer for me. I think a lot rests on it, and if it's not a priority there is serious communication issues

And don't give me the "its already in" argument, there have been small changes but nothing game-changing and fps and performance getting worse not better.

I've played Dayz mod since december 2013 and standalone since october 2014, and performance has always been a HUGE issue. They've had close to 3 years to figure it out, guess i'll come back in 2017, maybe population will go from 5000 up by then.

Still 3.3 million and only 5000, again, unrealistic expectations that were only helped by devs as shown above.

The roadmap relates to internal milestones

You lack patience and perspective.

You have earned this.

Please DO come back in 2017.

And there you are, dodging my post.

And to your point, I have taken a look at this from many different angles, read through lots of info, and seen both what the community and the devs have to say. I can safely say that the way these devs decided to design the game hasn't turned out to be very effective. Early Access was a mistake, the community who PLAYS the game is already mostly gone. 

Either way enjoy your lack of new renderer, or any meaningful features.

I like how no one has actually responded to the renderer part, must be a soft spot for people.

Honestly, it's your fault for not understanding how roadmaps work. Also, the new renderer is already been shown off, but only in the internal dev patches. Lastly, you say you read lots of info, but yet you say so much in-correct info it's mind boggling. Oh, well, all you need is a huge break. Go play something else, it's not hard.

• Like 1

And there you are, dodging my post.

And to your point, I have taken a look at this from many different angles, read through lots of info, and seen both what the community and the devs have to say. I can safely say that the way these devs decided to design the game hasn't turned out to be very effective. Early Access was a mistake, the community who PLAYS the game is already mostly gone. 

Either way enjoy your lack of new renderer, or any meaningful features.

I like how no one has actually responded to the renderer part, must be a soft spot for people.

Most of the people who are upset that they are having trouble trying to PLAY the game are de facto morons, or illiterate.  I read the warning, I understand the warning.  I try go and PLAY the game occasionally; if by that you mean trying to shoot anything that moves in a big city or military area.  The rest of the time I am focusing on trying to break persistence, or make vehicles do unusual things.

You should expect nothing but a work-in-progress test platform for the concepts that will eventually come together to make DayZ Standalone.  If you expect anything else at this time, YOU ARE WRONG!

• Like 1

While it's obvious not to take the roadmap as a promise, I do understand your frustration. Being one of the people that bought the game as soon as it hit the steam store (as well as logged around 5000 hours in the mod(this is including both before and after it was added to steam)), I am also feeling similar. I made it habit to just come back periodically and see what's changed. I will say that the introduction of stable and persistent cars / tents/ etc has brought back memories of dayz mod. But the outdated engine really does kill some of the perspective. However, my griped isn't how long its taken them to code the new engine, but the fact they keep adding new, large towns and cities. At first, I was hoping svetlojarsk was a test to see how the engine would preform rendering high fidelity towns. But, as they kept pumping out more areas, I started to see how the fps was going to go down hill. Personally, I would have been fine with having the good old arma 2 chernarus that we had in the mod. I feel that even with the basic map, the cars and base building aspect that we have at the moment would still provide us with a very nice game.

TL;DR:

I don't mind the time it takes them to code the new engine. I just wish they would've held off of making new cities and keep the original map until it was appropriate to start focusing on huge cities.

• Like 2

Another one of these threads.  yay.

https://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/215848-dayz-moving-into-2015-roadmap/?p=2317653

The people that use the concurrent player numbers as something to prop up their opinion of this game simply have never looked at the concurrent numbers of any other game and likely don't understand the number anyway.

Edited by SausageKingofChicago
  • Like 2

Yea , too many of these post are simply made by people that expect a finished polished product while the game is still in alpha .. 

Most of use that remain are fully aware and expect bugs. That's what we are here to do. Test every odd angle and and find those weird combo bugs that the Devs alone would never have time to find. 

Think of it this way.. how many console games have 5,000+ beta testers ? 

None. they toss out the game as finished , and then maybe throw out a few bug fixes afterwards. People here knew what they where getting into when they purchased it . 

FYI there have been a few days on experimental where the devs showed off new stuff , that was to come later. I remember just recently on 59  exp  . they did something that tripled my FPS, I went from mid 20s in cities to 60+. Dunno what that little patch was but it was amazing, everything looked different as well. But then they remove it for there own reasons I assume. 

So internally , things are getting done, But they know more about the core , and what needs to be released and when . 

A little more communication from those guys on these things would be nice , and put a stop to posts like this ... but its not really required of them . 

While it's obvious not to take the roadmap as a promise, I do understand your frustration. Being one of the people that bought the game as soon as it hit the steam store (as well as logged around 5000 hours in the mod(this is including both before and after it was added to steam)), I am also feeling similar. I made it habit to just come back periodically and see what's changed. I will say that the introduction of stable and persistent cars / tents/ etc has brought back memories of dayz mod. But the outdated engine really does kill some of the perspective. However, my griped isn't how long its taken them to code the new engine, but the fact they keep adding new, large towns and cities. At first, I was hoping svetlojarsk was a test to see how the engine would preform rendering high fidelity towns. But, as they kept pumping out more areas, I started to see how the fps was going to go down hill. Personally, I would have been fine with having the good old arma 2 chernarus that we had in the mod. I feel that even with the basic map, the cars and base building aspect that we have at the moment would still provide us with a very nice game.

TL;DR:

I don't mind the time it takes them to code the new engine. I just wish they would've held off of making new cities and keep the original map until it was appropriate to start focusing on huge cities.

Got to remember , their are different teams doing different jobs. 

Its hella easier to work on the map and new models than it is to recode and entire game engine to support all the features they want it to do .  What we are seeing is just different teams finishing different projects at different times. 

Brian isn't just sitting in his basement building this whole thing by himself after school. Hes just the face man of an entire company full of staff .

• Like 2

Got to remember , their are different teams doing different jobs. 

Its hella easier to work on the map and new models than it is to recode and entire game engine to support all the features they want it to do .  What we are seeing is just different teams finishing different projects at different times. 

Brian isn't just sitting in his basement building this whole thing by himself after school. Hes just the face man of an entire company full of staff .

What I said had nothing to do between the difference of a coder and an art designer. I simply stated that I wish they HELD OFF of making new cities. Not tell the art designers to code the engine. Please go reread.

• Like 1

I felt the voices of a million nerds crying out in anguish.

Yes, it is a bit crap. Yes, the shitty fps is coming close to ruining this game for me, I maintain my faith in the devs though.... I hope I'm right.

• Like 1

I just talked to my friend today (when we played a brief two hour round), about how I joined when vehicles were announced. Little did I know that meant only trucks and that since then only a few more cars would be added. A lot of things that bug me about Dayz have to do with presentation and announcements. They make great looking and great sounding presentation, but when they don't amount to anything in the actual game that effort is misleading gamers and distracting developers. Their task at the moment is to introduce new elements to the game, but like I said - bought the game at least a year ago when trucks were announced and they still don't drive well enough or have the kinks of the other vehicles ironed out. That's too slow and it is really hard defending against is when there are mods that run fine with 100 vehicles on the map. 

I'm always trying to look at the good pieces and hope there is a masterplan of how all the game economies will run faster and stop desyncing the player interaction in the beta builds. The devs must be confident this will happen, or else they would not say over and over, how the new renderer and technology changes will improve the performance. The problem is - we can't know about the results, unless we travel to the future, but unfortunately the future is something undecided and remote and things can go both ways with this game - good or bad. At the moment, they are just adding the planned features and hopefully these will work properly. I can imagine the devs aren't always happy with the results and progress themselves and in every game development a sort of fatigue sets in and you wonder, who you are doing this for. In the end it's us, who have to prove the game is worth playing. That's why I always advocate for people to try out other modes of play, instead of seeing it merely as a PvP Wonderland. The shooting isn't that great yet, desync can kill you as well as the guy you're aiming at, but there is still fun to be had with the game. After playing for two hours with the friend, who basically convinced me to buy the game (because: vehicles!), I realized that I'd bought it for the same reasons, but am sticking with it for the right ones. 

• Like 1

I can understand why people could put faith into their religion, but I can't understand why anybody would put faith into a corporation. 

• Like 2

I can understand why people could put faith into their religion, but I can't understand why anybody would put faith into a corporation. 

It's because of the whole "Transparency" motto that Dean Hall filled his pre-game devblogs with. In every devblog he made before Standalone's release, you can hear him saying there will be transparency between the developers and the consumers.

• Like 1

What I said had nothing to do between the difference of a coder and an art designer. I simply stated that I wish they HELD OFF of making new cities. Not tell the art designers to code the engine. Please go reread.

He assumed that because you wrote your statement a bit weird. I think in order to not get a bunch of mis-understandings, it's always good to type your statements, clearly. Regardless, I do like your post. I also thought that adding huge cities constantly was the wrong thing to do. However, it's their envision not mine, so whatever. lol

Edited by DJ SGTHornet

He assumed that because you wrote your statement a bit weird. I think in order to not get a bunch of mis-understandings, it's always good to type your statements, clearly. Regardless, I do like your post. I also thought that adding huge cities constantly was the wrong thing to do. However, it's their envision not mine, so whatever. lol

I figured I had written it pretty clearly.

And what would the art department do in the meantime? 

Sit around until the code was perfect, Then start building the map? 

Or build the map and find issues for the coders to address together as they go ? 

THey have said, they want a Large world, with things like poison fog, and vehicles and so on.. No point in cars without roads, not point in toxic zones without something in those zones. No point coding fishing with out ponds.. 

From what I'm gathering , I think they basically want half the map to be like GTA and the other halfe to be The Hunter wilderness . 

Maybe I wasn't as clear as I should have been. I am frustrated more about the fact that the renderer isn't taking the main-stage, the other criticisms I have some valid, some less so, don't belong here.

This post was meant to raise the question of "are the devs focused on the right things? 

I think that they aren't and that the renderer should take front stage.

• Like 2

And what would the art department do in the meantime? 

Sit around until the code was perfect, Then start building the map? 

Or build the map and find issues for the coders to address together as they go ? 

THey have said, they want a Large world, with things like poison fog, and vehicles and so on.. No point in cars without roads, not point in toxic zones without something in those zones. No point coding fishing with out ponds.. 

From what I'm gathering , I think they basically want half the map to be like GTA and the other halfe to be The Hunter wilderness . 

I'm pretty sure they could still use the original arma 2 chernarus for that. But hey, let me humor you. Okay so, what if they built towns, but just not huge cities like they have now? I'd still be fine with that. Take zelenogorsk for example. In the mod, it was a medium sized town that was pretty balanced in my eyes. Then in standalone, they added hundreds of trees, lots of new extra buildings and what happened? fps dropped tremendously in that town. I rest my case

Q1 2015
  • Basic vehicles
  • New renderer
  • New Zombie AI
  • Diseases
Q2 2015
  • Advanced vehicles (repair and modifications)
  • Player statistics
  • New UI
  • Player stamina
  • Dynamic events
  • World containers
  • New physics system
Q3 2015
  • Traps
  • Barricading
  • Aerial transport
  • Console prototype
  • Advanced communication
Q4 2015
  • Animal companions

Been saying the same thing. And there are still blind optimists yelling at us from the band wagon saying "You aren't patient enough" or "I'm happy with it, why aren't you?". 

I love BI. Arma 3 is a masterpiece and I can't wait for the 3D editor and Tanoa. But I think they have gotten themselves in a bit of a curfuffle with this game. There doesn't seem to be any direction with DayZ. They are working on 30 types of hats and 44 ways to commit ritual seppuku with garden tools but aren't focusing on performance (network and engine), and core features in a zombie survival game... Namely, the motha-fluffin zombies? Come on, people! Focus! 

• Like 1

Arma 3 is a masterpiece and I can't wait for the 3D editor and Tanoa.

I've played a bunch of Arma 3 but it is far from a masterpiece. That game is, in many ways, amazing but the amount of bugs, technical issues and missing features make it simple "good" when it could have been "great". This is my biggest fear with DayZ SA. High aspirations but an amateurish implementation.

• Like 1

Early Access isn't paying for playing a game. It's for being a part in development and testing. The game in this state isn't really meant to play, much more to test.

Development is a bit slow, but I rather have a grate game after its finished then "just" a good game.

• Like 1

What would doing that serve?  Seems to me they're adding what completed aspects of the game as they are completed.  Other features that depend on other aspects of the engine cannot be added until they're stable enough for public builds.  If they didn't add anything at all until the engine was complete we'd still be looking at what we had at day one, which some blindly complain is the case, and we wouldn't have yet filed reports and had those bugs fixed.  If your only gripe is map additions then that still boils down to what bugs we can find with new structures and layouts being held off until 2-3 years later  How does that support development again?   Personally, I'm more than pleased to see what work Senchi and team can do.  I bloody love the north of the map and can't wait to see what they do with the rest of it.  At the very least it gives me insight in what they'll be able to do from scratch. 

Bring on new Cherno.

Maybe I wasn't as clear as I should have been. I am frustrated more about the fact that the renderer isn't taking the main-stage, the other criticisms I have some valid, some less so, don't belong here.

This post was meant to raise the question of "are the devs focused on the right things?

I think that they aren't and that the renderer should take front stage.

The renderer is, along with the rest of the engine.  Just because the team responsible for completing the map (relatively easy considering) is knocking out bits here and there doesn't mean the guys that are building the engine are behind.  If you read what is available about the RV engine or DayZ development you would understand what it takes to disconnect the renderer from the old engine and how it cannot be showcased in piecemeal.