Sign in to follow this  
Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

[Proper Names 101] Quonset Hut vs Officer Tent

quonset hut AKA Nato Barrack for me  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

quonsethut.org. A website devoted to quonset huts. I'm having trouble thinking of a more boring website. How about a website about a specific make of towel rack? The history of crocs? Incredible.

I can't see anyone referring to officer tents as quonset huts. Maybe officer huts? I'm not even sure how to pronounce quonset. Konset? Kwonsit? Koo-on-set? Informative nonetheless.

• Like 4

who cares what its called there's a guy in my group that's always correcting folks gets on my fucking nerves the pretentious prick. as long as your team members knows who or what your talking about who cares. hell everyone pronounces the cities wrong are we gonna have a translator come in and help us learn to pronounce those next.

Edited by gannon46
  • Like 2

who cares what its called there's a guy in my group that's always correcting folks gets on my fucking nerves the pretentious prick. as long as your team members knows who or what your talking about who cares. hell everyone pronounces the cities wrong are we gonna have a translator come in and help us learn to pronounce those next.

He is probably doing this to get the whole squad/clan or new people to understand it.

Some people are that selfish and say like you, "who would care as long as my buddies understand it".

It's basically the same as you would say "who cares i say blue to red as long as my buddies understand it". Well yes but the world does not consists just out of you and your buddies, pretty selfish behaviour imo ;P

• Like 4

quonsethut.org. A website devoted to quonset huts. I'm having trouble thinking of a more boring website. 

Website about you? Muahahaha

No really these huts are epic and crocs also!

quonsethut.org. A website devoted to quonset huts. I'm having trouble thinking of a more boring website. How about a website about a specific make of towel rack? The history of crocs? Incredible.

I can't see anyone referring to officer tents as quonset huts. Maybe officer huts? I'm not even sure how to pronounce quonset. Konset? Kwonsit? Koo-on-set? Informative nonetheless.

IPA: kwänsət

Commonly, when a 'u' is before an 'o' the 'u' turns into a 'w.'

Sounds like 'kwon-sit'

Who cares that language is what separates us from the beasts! Why not start calling M4's, 1911's or Peaches? People that don't use the proper word for something gets on my nerves. Nothing pretentious about using basic words. Hey I got an idea, instead of calling it DayZ...lets call it Mario Kart. Wouldn't that be pretentious? Whats the difference right?  ;)

Kind of reminds of people calling the office building (Land_A_Office01) a 'school' when its doesn't look like a school in any way, shape, or form. Its an office building.

UpNgEDT.jpg

thank you professor for your lecture

I wouldn't go that far. Just just basic English. Not talking high level linguistics here, just basics.

Edited by Weyland Yutani
  • Like 2

I am all for using the proper terms in DayZ as in life.

I think it is most important that we use the term, bandit, murderer, and survivor properly.

I used to call the Quonset huts Officers Barracks (because of the bunks and tables) but as a (mostly) 3yr lone wolf player I really only used the term in my internal dialogue and didn't even use it here on the forum really. When I started playing with a friend recently I found all of my personal nicknames for structures weren't great for describing them.

I do think the office building reminded me of a school a little because the stairwell of the high school I went to was all windows from top to bottom and I think that's one of the main features that made people think it was a school as well....

"Try to pay attention to the language we’ve all agreed on” (Complaints and Grievances, George Carlin).

• Like 1

I had always called it an Officer Tent, but since watching a few videos that had Hicks talking about it and referring to it as a Quonset (kwon-set imo) Hut I've taken to calling it that too - albeit not many people in my group call it that.

• Like 1

As long as you are consistent within your own group it doesn't matter what you call anything.

Also, "quonset" as a word sounds stupid so I'm not saying it =P

^ Hope you never come to New England. Fully 3/4, if not more, city and place-names are in Wampanoag and other Native languages

Winnetuxet

Mattepoisett

Acushnet

Massachusett

hint: the "set/et" bit at the end means "place"

officers barracks for me or curved roof barracks.

It's obviously not a tent

wouldn't know to to pronounce "quonset" tbh.

btw the key to communication is getting your message across not trying to feel superior to the people you are speaking with.

Haven't heard one person call it the officers tent but I imagine in a stressful situation a person could call it that but I also assume we'd all know what they were talking about.

Edited by freethink

Bendy fun house where i keep all my clips for my ak and mags for my revolver.

L

• Like 3

Jesus, guys, did you not take Phonetics in Grade School?

Qu: This makes a "kweh" sound

on: this makes an "on" sound

set: this makes a "set" sound

Kweh-on-set

Quonset

Maybe because I live in New England, but words like that don't phase me

Jesus, guys, did you not take Phonetics in Grade School?

Qu: This makes a "kweh" sound

on: this makes an "on" sound

set: this makes a "set" sound

Kweh-on-set

Quonset

Maybe because I live in New England, but words like that don't phase me

Officers barracks, it is! lol

Abatoir.

Edited by cash81

It doesn't make sense, but I call it The Bunker, lol.

I call it Novi-barracks, only very few people will know why.

He is probably doing this to get the whole squad/clan or new people to understand it.

Some people are that selfish and say like you, "who would care as long as my buddies understand it".

It's basically the same as you would say "who cares i say blue to red as long as my buddies understand it". Well yes but the world does not consists just out of you and your buddies, pretty selfish behaviour imo ;P

...jesus dude it's a game :/

...jesus dude it's a game :/

How dare you!

Anyway, this isn't linguistics, it's not even semantics. It's Yankee cultural imperialism, which is why I insist on calling it a Nissen Hut.

Edited by Mookie

btw the key to communication is getting your message across not trying to feel superior to the people you are speaking with.

We just told you how to pronounce it.  :D

Bendy fun house where i keep all my clips for my ak and mags for my revolver.

L

:rolleyes:

Edited by Weyland Yutani