Baker.

Zombies do matter after all...

While zombies are being sorted out:

I wonder is it's possible to plug in some temporary placeholder zombies, just for a while? I mean like the zombies from the Mod (crazy, hardly no tracking, and loads of them all over the place) ?.

If those came back as temporary placeholders, it wouldn't matter how ugly and bad they were, would it? They could provide action anytime the real thing was in for overhaul.

- seems to me those old zombs were cheap on processing power. So let a few loose when you need to work on any parts of the game involving the real zombs.

they might have been crap and gaffer-taped onto the game, but they gave out plenty of gameplay

xx

I suggested this very thing a while ago. Beans

• Like 2

Short video I made last night in Arma3. These zombies are far from rafined, but they do make your life miserable when you want to loot military location. They run trough buildings, they are harder to kill and they are loud. If you want to peeveepeee in Elektro with zombies like these you must be real badass Rambo2 motherfragger.

I hope dayz devs hury up and bring zeds back.

• Like 1

As a life long "Zombie Buff" I find it reassuring when browsing the latest steam charts. If you don't pay attention to such things I'll have you know that peak players is at an all time low and average players is a couple hundred away from its all time low. I suspect that the numbers for October will be even worse. So why do I find this reassuring? 

Because in spite of frames/performance being at an all time high (at least in my opinion), loot being at its most balanced (at least in my opinion), along with all the other nice things that the dev's have thrown in there is one major thing lacking: the zombies. Nobody wants to play without them. I was always in fear of some last minute "switcharo" where they pull them out at the last minute because they cannot get it right and turn it into a glorified wasteland or something. But that will never happen, they are important, they have to be there and they have to be good lest the player base slowly erode. 

So in conclusion, its sucks they're gone but now everybody can appreciate how much they miss them. 

I think this plays a part in it, but the player population decline imo is more so attributed to these major factors:

1. DayZ StandAlone had a lot of starting hype and press - but this is not an MMO like EQ, WoW, etc where people have guilds and spend hours raiding to get a single piece of awesome gear. Max and average player pop will likely be less than intuition might lead one to believe.
  2. A lot of "shiny object" other games have come (and some have gone). Between Rust, RoK, Ark, H1Z1, Arma 3 mods (Epoch, Exile), etc - the player base that would likely be in DayZ is distracted with other interesting projects in varying levels of completion. This opinion is strongly supported by what you've seen from the streamer community as well.
  3. Many players were dissatisfied with bugs that destroy hours of work in an instant and also earlier extensive pink flamingo problems related to people abusing and exploiting (many/most of which have been cleaned up). These people are waiting for a more mature iteration of the game, a Beta or even final release before they return and give it a shot again. Believe it or not there are people who listened to what Dean said last year when the question was asked, "Should I buy/play it yet?"
  • Like 1

Maybe we can talk about player numbers when the game is released in all it's glory? I'm hardly playing DayZ right now, neither are 10 of my friends. There are others waiting for something to be added that makes it a game. You can only plant so many vegetables and visit so many locations before there's nothing to do.

I got attacked by a zombie yesterday 07/Oct/2015 about 10pm UTC and beat him to death with a sledgehammer.

I swear I really believed they were out of this patch.

Now I understand that there just aren't many of them, or perhaps there was only one?  So I may have killed the last zombie in DayZ.

I truly apologize for this.I feel bad (what can I say?)

I would have left him free to roam if I'd known he was the only one on the map, but he growled behind me unexpectedly, and I'm afraid I whacked him.

Sorry.

A while ago I used to hate them, Really - Hate -  But yesterday ..uh..it was just 1 ragged infected skinny guy in an old brown jacket lying there in a heap, dead

and .. then he faded away...

I hope all his 16 Family and his 133 workmates and his Grandparents and his 26 drinking buddies, and his 10 mad brother's in law, and all their hoodlum mates and escaped-from-jail underworld uncles, and their death-squad military contacts, and raving-lunatic-pitchfork-killer farmer hillbillies, and their crawling hopping halfwit sons, and crazy eyeball-eating little old schoolteacher ladies too, and every out-of-work hungry diseased butcher with a cleaver..-  I hope they ALL Come Back and get

HORRIBLE REVENGE

get well soon, zombies

xx

Edited by pilgrim

Well stated, you don't know what you got till its gone.

I never thought I'd miss paradise until that parking lot showed up in it's place.

• Like 3

Was that a Lisa Loeb quote or something?

Joni Mitchell  :P

• Like 2

DayZ 0.55 never forget.

that!! and I mean the early (bugged) version, not the loot exploded one :-)

Edited by Noctoras
  • Like 1

"Zombies" AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!!!!!!!

This game doesn't have zombies, it's that cheap knock off shiter version, "infected".

Either you are a developer, or you're mixing something up. 0.56 has been skipped, I reckon you mean 0.55, where loot was few and far between (also my fav patch) and the zombies didn't sound like a sawmill running after you, but were all stealthy.

Hang on wasn't that the patch where all the loot was just piled up in the outside toilets up north? Hardly challenging once you'd figured that out.

So how are the HC crafters finding the game now with no Zombies? Isn't it there idea of heaven?

Christ some of us that like zombies - the sh*t we took from the Hicks fanboys.

Hang on wasn't that the patch where all the loot was just piled up in the outside toilets up north? Hardly challenging once you'd figured that out.

So how are the HC crafters finding the game now with no Zombies? Isn't it there idea of heaven?

Christ some of us that like zombies - the sh*t we took from the Hicks fanboys.

Nope, the loot explosions were a result of the 0.55 hotfix (i.e. the "second version" of 0.55), which again was the result of a lot of crying about "where is the loot" of some people - and much to my dismay, the devs listened and gave us lootexplosions. Ever since loot is abundant, as you can easily tell by the number of full mil equiped guys (like abaout everyone, who isn't exactly a freshspawn). Add "no zombies" to the mix and the game currently gives me no reason at all to play.

Edited by Noctoras
  • Like 2

Its a zombie game, without zombies. They're needed/required whether it lowers FPS or not.

Zombies still not patched back in? Seya in another 2 months then.

At this point I just check patch notes and ctrl+f "Zombie". If I get zero hits I go back to shooting red crosses in EvE, because somehow that is more enjoyable than SA right now.

At this point I just check patch notes and ctrl+f "Zombie". If I get zero hits I go back to shooting red crosses in EvE, because somehow that is more enjoyable than SA right now.

You're in for a long wait since you're searching for the wrong word.

• Like 3

My fear with the infected is that they're trying to make them too "smart" with their speed, senses, and varying attack animations and such. As someone else pointed out, the mod infected were gloriously stupid and cheap in terms of resource cost. I'd almost rather they just dumb the current zombies down, drastically reduce their speed, and make them shambling slow-moving Walking Dead type beasties. Make them hit like a ton of bricks and hard to kill (head shots/brain bashing only), attracted to loud noises/light, and give them a small "awareness/attack radius" with just enough "intelligence" not to walk through walls, doors, or fences. Sure, in small numbers they'd be easy just to avoid, but if you get stuck in a tight area with a few you've got your work cut out for you. Scatter a handful in the smaller towns, a few random ones off in the woods and fields, and fill the high value loot areas and bigger cities with hordes of 'em. If you get their attention, they'll swat at you and maybe stumble after you a bit (along with whichever ones are nearby), but not chase you for a mile. Make them a giant, slow-moving deterrent rather than the hyper-aware speed demons they currently are. I just don't know if we'll ever see the huge amounts of infected a gameworld this size needs with the current iteration of them.

Edited by horrorview

Scatter a handful in the smaller towns, a few random ones off in the woods and fields, and fill the high value loot areas and bigger cities with hordes of 'em.

Actually, I think a more interesting approach would be roaming hoardes, not tied to any specific places. You shouldn't be safe when walking into the woods 200 meter out of town. Zombies should roam instead of spawn at a fixed location and remain there. They should be less predictable so to speak. I want the sniper on sniper hill to be in danger just like the town looter. I don't see why zombies should be stuck to a 200 meter perimeter around a specific building. Let them roam, just like animals are planned to roam.

• Like 3

Actually, I think a more interesting approach would be roaming hoardes, not tied to any specific places. You shouldn't be safe when walking into the woods 200 meter out of town. Zombies should roam instead of spawn at a fixed location and remain there. They should be less predictable so to speak. I want the sniper on sniper hill to be in danger just like the town looter. I don't see why zombies should be stuck to a 200 meter perimeter around a specific building. Let them roam, just like animals are planned to roam.

I definitely want roaming hordes, and would love to see the devs add them as a dynamic event. Like I said, I'd also like to have individual zombies scattered around the woods and fields as well, just to serve as a little bit of an extra threat/diversion. Imagine having a small wave of zombies just creeping toward your camp on their own or, better yet, a massive cluster of them drawn toward your camp by the enemy? 

The problem is different, many people who bought the game in the 0.58 patch will have no idea that the game is not a zombie.As we well know today, people judge a game by what they see on youtube and 90% of the videos is assembled with zombies in the lead role.

And do not we all need to know that now there is no zombie game! because in the end even steam in the description of the game or on other sites where you can get early access.

There is no mention of the fact that you are buying now the game without zombies just so much that it was early Access.
And that is what frustrates people who play long in DayZ standalone knows what the situation is but new does not need to know.
Put yourself in their place, you read a description of what it takes to be a great game Survival watch videos on youtube mass as it looks incredible what a nice fight with zombies.
After purchasing a game, a taxi a new player enters the full server and what does he see? lack of zombies that die within a few minutes of playing shot by a player who is not much to do in the game.
If even escape from the city and go explore areas quickly get bored, what he'll get any weapons because they go to the military camp with a shotgun or a single-weapon no chance.
A and site of the game is very empty, and the lack of zombies only what you have to do is browse through all the buildings are not feeling any threat, which after two gets very boring.
And this is now a problem in this game, as there are cases that the lack of zombie players feel unpunished, they sit in one building and only a few hours what they do is shoot from the window into everything that moves. Currently, this game is more like Counter-Strike than the Survival Game. The creators announced that the main players in the game have to be undead.

That's why I am not surprised, new players, they feel disappointed and bored with the game after a few hours because I really lost more than 100 hours and at only turn on the game after a few minutes I leave this game.It is known Alpha version but believe that this game can now weary and very quickly especially new players who often do not have a chance in this game you survive a few minutes in the big cities and must at times to start a new character or as I embark on a journey around the map feel weary that such a large area and nothing in it does not happen, no threat and ba in these small towns, you can gather enough food and drink, that of survival no way!
  • Like 2

The infected is important part of dayz - and it might be a reason why 0.59 is delayed at the moment.

• Like 3